• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2.0.0.1 Update: A Space Odyssey

dolabla

The new look is nice and all, but I sure wish there was a way to go back to the old forum. Y'know, before it was overrun by alt-right shitheads.

Yeah, let's go back to silenced views, out of control mods, dogpiles, mentally deranged posters taking over the board, etc. What a paradise..... said no one ever.

There is a place for all of this though if you enjoy that type of abuse.

eot

Banned
The side bar isn't even working for me any more, it doesn't appear when I press the button for it.

Tried the mobile site and it's really busted for me. Granted, I'm on an older iOS version but still, most sites work fine for me
XiwWqh7.png

A7dw9Gn.png

Blam

The side bar isn't even working for me any more, it doesn't appear when I press the button for it.

Tried the mobile site and it's really busted for me. Granted, I'm on an older iOS version but still, most sites work fine for me

What iPHone would that be? 5s? or 6? If so 10.2.1 works fine still on it. You might want to refresh cache or request desktop site and then quit the tab.

bitbydeath

I'm gonna get real nit-picky here.
But you know the buttons in dark mode that have orange text and an orange box outline.
eg. '< Off-Topic Discussion'
I'm always expecting on hover that instead of an underline that it'll change to a regular button like 'Post Reply'.
Full Orange and White Text.

Something about it irks me.

gspat

Liking the new look!

Would it be possible to have the dark/light theme selector up top as well, rather than having to scroll through the thread to get to it?

eot

Banned
What iPHone would that be? 5s? or 6? If so 10.2.1 works fine still on it. You might want to refresh cache or request desktop site and then quit the tab.
6 SE
I didn't get iOS 10 because I hated how they changed the screen unlock, I heard they removed it in the later ones but I figured they would just slow my phone down too much and I'm sure as hell not buying a new one considering the prices.

Blam

6 SE
I didn't get iOS 10 because I hated how they changed the screen unlock, I heard they removed it in the later ones but I figured they would just slow my phone down too much and I'm sure as hell not buying a new one considering the prices.
Ahh yeah that's probably iOS9 doing that I'd say jailbreak it and update to a nother jailbreakable one but that's gonna be hard.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
6 SE

iOS 9.3.5 (the last update before iOS 10) released August 25, 2016 which is over two years ago. While we'll certainly do our best to plan for and patch compatibility to as many devices as possible, you must understand that accommodating issues on an older version of iOS / Safari is a low priority issue for us at the moment.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
ekmyqru.jpg

The rounded corners around the search box have a different color than the rest.
In the search box "Member" is a lot darker than before and a bit hard to read.
Also, maybe make the white line a darker grey, it is a bit jarring.

Still working through feedback, but these particular issues have been addressed. Let me know if you run into anything else.

Been browsing and posting in GAF on desktop and mobile for a while. I will say that it's a big upgrade for mobile and a bit of a lateral for desktop. I find it a bit strange that if I zoom to 150%, the details of each thread in the index such as the thread creator, the creation date, and the user making the latest response disappear. It's fine if I revert to 125% zoom.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Is there any way to make the new alerts darker? They're really hard for me to differentiate.
TGQ3OGu.png

I fixed this earlier for dark theme, didn't realize light theme was also broken. This should be resolved now. (Hopefully the alert you get for this reply is the correct color!)

brap

Banned
I fixed this earlier for dark theme, didn't realize light theme was also broken. This should be resolved now. (Hopefully the alert you get for this reply is the correct color!)
Yeah, it's green now. A million times better. Thanks!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
wtf is this? I'm getting older so change is getting scarier.
I'm not getting old I'm already there and usually hate change, but only hated this change for a short time and found it overall quite intuitive other than the notifications on mobile. For some reason it took me 3 or 4 tries checking hamburger before I finally located them.

Nymphae

Banned
On mobile the new design kind of works for me. I'm comfortable using the sidebar menu to hop around forums, and I think generally it looks pretty nice with the black bar at the top and the orange buttons and everything. Still really dislike the avatars in front of thread titles.

But for desktop it would awesome if I could somehow switch back to the classic layout.

Joyful

so after using it a while I kinda wish the forums had more contrast

like when you click a thread reading posts the contrast is fine, but on the forum view topics are kinda hard to read imo
the topic font could be clearer as well (same as posts)

Dark Rider

Thank you for all who worked on the redesign, too much colours on the front page but that is manageable since I don't spend much time on the front page.

- This is VERY important to me, can we please get the page number back in the page title in the page tab?
I usually open many tabs for several threads and some of them are from the same thread so being able to hover over the tabs to see the full title of the page including the page number saves me from clicking on every tab to find out what page is it.
- Also I support getting the square avatars back.
- Can we make the thread information like the creator name and the time of creation persistent? I don't like that it depends on the page zoom.
- One of the background strokes actually appear on the foreground in the last third of the page and obstruct whatever it is placed over.
- I would like a more compact design and less wasted space all around.
- Can the navigation tool (the hamburger menu + the top bar) have a link to all 5 main forums please?
- Is there a way to revert the spoiler tag functionality to work the same way or slimier to how it worked before the forum platform switch? I mean highlighting or clicking it show the content instead of the current system where the content is placed in a box.

I assume the bugs (like the top bar flashing) is already being worked on.

Again thanks for all who worked on this.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
- This is VERY important to me, can we please get the page number back in the page title in the page tab?
I usually open many tabs for several threads and some of them are from the same thread so being able to hover over the tabs to see the full title of the page including the page number saves me from clicking on every tab to find out what page is it.

I didn't realize that the page numbers weren't coming through in the page/tab titles, this should be fixed now. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

M. Crassus

The light theme seems too bright. I'd love if the color scheme could be matched to the old forum.

Avatars next to threads is unnecessary and bloating.

Been browsing and posting in GAF on desktop and mobile for a while. I will say that it's a big upgrade for mobile and a bit of a lateral for desktop. I find it a bit strange that if I zoom to 150%, the details of each thread in the index such as the thread creator, the creation date, and the user making the latest response disappear. It's fine if I revert to 125% zoom.

I was wondering why the staff got rid of that information. Thanks for pointing that out. I like browsing at higher zoom levels, so I guess I'm just going to be missing out until or unless it's fixed.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
iOS 9.3.5 (the last update before iOS 10) released August 25, 2016 which is over two years ago. While we'll certainly do our best to plan for and patch compatibility to as many devices as possible, you must understand that accommodating issues on an older version of iOS / Safari is a low priority issue for us at the moment.
Oh I know that's why I mentioned it

DiscoJer

It would be nice if we could change forums (gaming/OT/politics) without having to click open the control panel (or whatever the triple bar thing is) and click, then close the panel. The space at top, right between the search bubble and the user name would be a good place for it.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
That fucking side menu opening every time I close and reopen the site. Getting on my nerves.

I'm trying to adapt (BUT WHY? Nobody asked for this change), but I'm failing and hating the site more and more every day. I also HATE that I don't have my watched thread list under my portrait on top right and I have to open the damn menu, go to watched list and close it again.

Less readable. Less user friendly. WAY slower. Bugged on older FF versions. Overall super annoying. It's slower, more convoluted and unpleasant to use now. Why the hell you had to ruin something good is beyond me. It gets on my nerves so much that if we don't get a revert option I'll be out of here for good.

Last edited:

Michele

you.
That fucking side menu opening every time I close and reopen the site. Getting on my nerves.

I'm trying to adapt (BUT WHY? Nobody asked for this change), but I'm failing and hating the site more and more every day. I also HATE that I don't have my watched thread list under my portrait on top right and I have to open the damn menu, go to watched list and close it again.

Less readable. Less user friendly. WAY slower. Bugged on older FF versions. Overall super annoying. Why the hell you had to ruin something good is beyond me. It gets on my nerves so much that if we don't get a revert option I'll be out of here for good.

Fuz, if you don't like the new site, you don't have to stay here. You're not forced, but it's nice that you're giving feedback.

Perhaps the mods will soon add a option to use the old, classic Neogaf

As for my own feedback, can we have the ability to link directly our images from the computer, files etc. instead of having to upload them to imgur?

Fuz

Banned
Fuz, if you don't like the new site, you don't have to stay here. You're not forced, but it's nice that you're giving feedback.

Of course I don't (and I won't), but I've been here since "Jun 8, 2009", so it will be sad to leave a place I've been in for almost 10 years. Especially now that it's not an echo-chamber driven by power crazy mods, but it has become an enjoyable place.

Last edited:

Bluntman

So far I've been using the new site on mobile and it was fine there.

But on desktop the small font size of the posts is really hurting.

Nymphae

Banned
I really dislike the diagonal slash graphical elements that are overlayed over the forums on certain pages. It doesn't help tie the design together, I think the pages would look just as good without them. It's just seems non-sensical you know? I don't get how they tie in with the overall graphical theme and it just feels weird to see floating slashes.

bring back the grey logo.
space out the threads more - they need room to breathe and tweak sizing of their text.
more info of threads, less info of creators avatar image

longdi

Banned
Viewing on PC.
Can you shift the left align a few more spaces to the right?
Currently it is placed way to the edge, there is too much wasted space in the middle, while my eyes needs to arrow towards left to browse the thread titles.

Last edited:

M. Crassus

Can't say I enjoy the redesign very much. I don't know exactly what changed but everything is just taking up too much space, especially user posts with all the margin areas/big avatars and big buttons under every post. It's all too distracting and hogging space, I prefer to read reddit now where the screen is used much more efficiently.

Tldr: too much bloat

Last edited:

Blam

Can't say I enjoy the redesign very much. I don't know exactly what changed but everything is just taking up too much space, especially user posts with all the margin areas/big avatars and big buttons under every post. It's all too distracting and hogging space, I prefer to read reddit now where the screen is used much more efficiently.

Tldr: too much bloat

I'm slowly working through that making it more akin to the old style with my touches to it, if you'd want to use the dark theme I made. Will upload a white theme of it as well.
not yet, gotta change report icon to a skull and cross-bones and we good :)

Ahh yes true we should maybe change the quote button to yell as well.

Top Bottom