• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf 2012 Backlog Blitz - Where we give the middle finger to Steam sales

Update for April:

January-March (+4):

Bought (-6)
Finished (+10)

April (-3):

Bought (-7):

Siren: Blood Curse (PSN)
Castlevania: SotN (XBLA)
Beyond Good & Evil HD (XBLA)
Perfect Dark (XBLA)
Shadow Complex (XBLA)
Fable III (360)
Halo: Reach (360)

Beaten (+4):

Shadow of the Colossus (HD Collection, PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD (360)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (360)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

2012 Score: (+1)

http://backloggery.com/thebigg753

tim.mbp

Bought: 9
1. Kid Icarus: Uprising
2. Radiant Historia
3. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
4. Rhythm Heaven Fever
5. Mario's Picross
6. Xenoblade Chronicles
7. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
8. Donkey Kong Country Returns
9. Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors

Completed: 12
1. Kirby Mass Attack
2. Okamiden
3. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!
4. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All
6. Pushmo
7. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
8. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
9. 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure
10. Kirby's Epic Yarn
11. Rhythm Heaven Fever
12. Mario's Picross

Score: +3

Went on a little shopping spree since I last updated.

Edit: Bought some more games.

Ledsen

Backloggery

Bought in 2012: -33
Beat in 2012: 14
Current Score: -19

--Bought--
  • Zelda: Spirit Tracks (NDS)
  • Alpha Protocol (PC)
  • DoDonPachi Resurrection (360)
  • Rayman Origins (360)
  • Shadows of the Damned (360)
  • Crysis 2 (PC)
  • Risen (PC)
  • Clive Barker's Undying (PC)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
  • Wolfenstein 2009 (PC)
  • Rage (PC)
  • Red Faction: Armageddon (PC)
  • World in Conflict (PC)
  • Dragon Quest: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (NDS)
  • Blue Dragon (360)
  • Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC)
  • Batman: Arkham City (PC)
  • Ultima Underworld (PC)
  • Ultima Underworld 2 (PC)
  • Might & Magic 4-5: World of Xeen (PC)
  • Might & Magic 6 (PC)
  • Might & Magic 7 (PC)
  • Might & Magic 8 (PC)
  • Legend of Grimrock (PC)
  • Stonekeep (PC)
  • Freespace 2 (PC)
  • Lone Survivor (PC)
  • Lands of Lore (PC)
  • Lands of Lore 2 (PC)
  • Botanicula (PC)
  • The Sabouteur (PC)
  • No One Lives Forever (PC)
  • No One Lives Forever 2 (PC)

--Re-bought/bought in bundle and won't play (don't count as "bought")--
  • Alan Wake (PC)
  • Tomb Raider Legend (PC)
  • Tomb Raider Anniversary (PC)
  • Tomb Raider Underworld (PC)
  • Mirror's Edge (PC)
  • Might & Magic 1 (PC)
  • Might & Magic 2 (PC)
  • Might & Magic 3 (PC)
  • Metro 2033

--Beaten--
  • Goldeneye Wii
  • Renegade Ops
  • Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
  • Shadows of the Damned $
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Space Marine
  • Puzzle Agent 2
  • Sonic Generations
  • RAGE $
  • Shank
  • Duke Nukem Forever
  • Red Faction: Armageddon $
  • NyxQuest
  • Bulletstorm

--Now Playing--
  • The Saboteur
  • Lone Survivor
  • Blue Dragon
  • Rayman Origins
  • Starcraft 2
  • Dragon Quest: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
  • Legend of Grimrock
  • Ultima Underworld
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Dead Island
  • Sanitarium
  • Blocks that Matter
  • Hard Corps: Uprising
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
  • Just Cause 2
  • Alice: Madness Returns
  • Nimbus
  • Back to the Future
  • Heroes of Might & Magic V
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
  • Mega Man 9
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade
  • Xenoblade
  • Sonic 3
  • Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition
  • Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising
  • Jedi Knight: Dark Forces
  • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Riven

Total backlog: 121 games
(=all "Unfinished" games in my Backloggery)

$ - indicates game purchased in 2012

January Post - Score: -3

February Post - Score: -4

March Post - Score: -4

Current Score: -1

Bought in April 2012 (-1):

Trials: Evolution

Finished in April 2012 (4):

Dead Island - Got back to this first after my March Mass Effect orgy finished. I was glad the third act got me out of that rotten city / sewer environment, but the prison was the worst. I was amazed I actually beat the final boss too, for a little bit I was thinking I would have to jump into multiplayer just to beat the game. Fuck that guy.

Costume Quest - Waited too long to play this. Simple gameplay, few real challenges, but good humor and a fun experience overall.

Anomaly: Warzone Earth - Awesome concept and execution. Kinda weird final pieces of dialogue at the end, made me think there were more levels coming up but then the credits appeared. Ah well, hopefully a sequel is on the way soon.

Rock of Ages - This one I finished in just a couple of sittings but I can't complain. Each level was a delightful mixture of fun and a little stress, had a couple of close calls here and there. So satisfying to hear your opponent shriek and then *squish* just before they break down your door.

Currently Playing:

Trials: Evolution - So I'm nearly to the A License Test and finally decided to stop using the 60cc bike. For some reason I had chosen the bike and stuck with it at the beginning, figuring that since it was a "reward" for playing Trials HD it would be the best bike for a little while. I feel like I just disabled Hard mode.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Renting this from Gamefly. It's better than I expected and I'm looking forward to picking it up during the Steam summer sale. Playing as a melee character with a heavy, very slow hammer. Being so slow and having no health regen items, and healing being so expensive, is making health a constant concern. I hate having to do it but I may get in the habit of fast travelling to a home I recently acquired to rest up after tough quests. Or just try to craft faster weapons that are actually decent.

Borderlands - Put a few hours into this on PC. I platinum'd the game on PS3 years ago but I've never touched any of the DLC on any system. I'd like to go through all of it before the sequel is out.

Here is a small update since my last post. For the first time this year, I'm at a net backlog gain. I'm currently playing three long RPGs, but once I'm done with those I might play through a few shorter games.

ibuML9ZWUUu8a6.png

Added the following games to the backlog:
• Devil Survivor 2
• Atelier Rorona
• Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell†
• Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow†
• Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory†
• Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent†
• Far Cry†
• Far Cry 2†
• Final Fantasy XIV†
• Canabalt
• Outcast
• Deus Ex: Human Revolution
• BrowserQuest*
• Legend of Grimrock
• Cities in Motion*
• Flying Sweden*
• Pure Chess
• Memento*
• Tinysasters*
• Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
• Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny
• Inazuma Eleven 2
• Catherine
• Yakuza:Dead Souls

Completed:
• Lumines: Block Challenge
• Canabalt
• BrowserQuest
• Atelier Totori
• Asphalt Injection
• Table Football
• Rayman Origins
• Legend of Grimrock
• Flying Sweden
• Pure Chess
• Memento
• Tinysasters

* - free
† - all seven games together cost me $0.15

coopolon

Backloggery

--Now Playing--
  • The Saboteur
  • Lone Survivor
  • Blue Dragon
  • Rayman Origins
  • Starcraft 2
  • Dragon Quest: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
  • Legend of Grimrock
  • Ultima Underworld
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Dead Island
  • Sanitarium
  • Blocks that Matter
  • Hard Corps: Uprising
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
  • Just Cause 2
  • Alice: Madness Returns
  • Nimbus
  • Back to the Future
  • Heroes of Might & Magic V
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
  • Mega Man 9
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade
  • Xenoblade
  • Sonic 3
  • Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition
  • Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising
  • Jedi Knight: Dark Forces
  • Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Riven

Total backlog: 121 games
(=all "Unfinished" games in my Backloggery)

$ - indicates game purchased in 2012

Wow, I have a hard time playing two games at a time!

Everdred

Backlog on HowLongToBeat.com

Bought In 2012:
1. Bulletstorm
2. Crysis 2
3. Duke Nukem Forever
4. GTA 4
5. Max Payne
6. Max Payne 2

Beat in 2012:
1. Renegade Ops
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution + Missing Link
3. BioShock
4. Crysis 2
5. Portal
6. Max Payne
7. Max Payne 2

Total Score: +1

Backlog Priorities:
BioShock 2
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Duke Nukem Forever
GTA 4
Medal Of Honor

Ledsen

Wow, I have a hard time playing two games at a time!

Yeah, I always just play whatever I feel like at the moment, no matter if it's a new game or a game I've started but not finished. I've realized that since graduating and getting an actual job, I don't have infinite time for games anymore. So why play something I don't feel like playing at the moment? Some games, like DA:O and BG2, I've been playing on and off for 2-3 years or more. Persona 4, played 10 hours when it released and haven't played it since. Still plan on finishing it and that's why it's in my "Now Playing" list.

ghibli99

After a month and a half of on-and-off play, I *finally* beat Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

It's interesting... I really like the cases, the graphics/animation, the music, and the characters, but I find the gameplay to be too limited. I think most story branches only have one solution, and sometimes those seem incredibly random. I found myself saving right before cross-examination each time, and when the piece of evidence I thought would work didn't, I'd then start going through everything to see what worked until I hit the right one. It would be much cooler to allow different pieces of evidence to eventually get you to the solution (or not) through more varied dialogue branches. Who knows, maybe that's the case in the later games?

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I could never play it again.

Puts me at +10 for the year. Finally into double-digits! :)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I sucked hard this month.

Beaten in 2012: 12

April

Nothing. That's right I played two games all month but didn't beat either of them. I'm nearing the 140 hour mark in Xenoblade Chronicles and I probably have at least another 10-15 hours to go. I also started Ace Attorney: Justice For All at the beginning of the month but this last case has been such a chore and keeps dragging on. I'm on what I think is the final section of the final day of the final trial but every time I think the game is about to wrap up it keeps going. Ugh.

Previous games played:
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (1/1)
Flight Control HD (1/5)
Dungeons of Dredmor (1/12)
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (1/24)
Bastion (2/2)
No More Heroes (2/23)
Endless Ocean (2/24)
Limbo (2/28)
Ben There, Dan That (3/7)
Tidalis (3/10)
Endless Ocean: Blue World (3/20)
Time Gentlemen, Please (3/27)

Bought: 11
The Ball
Beep
Forza Motorsport 2
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
Nikpol: Secrets of the Immortals
P.A.M.
Sideway: New York
Wasteland Angel
Xenoblade Chronicles
Xotix
Zoo Tycoon 2

Total Score: 1

ghibli99

I also started Ace Attorney: Justice For All at the beginning of the month but this last case has been such a chore and keeps dragging on. I'm on what I think is the final section of the final day of the final trial but every time I think the game is about to wrap up it keeps going. Ugh.
This is how I felt about the bonus case in PW1. By the time I got to it, I was so burnt on the length and repetitive formula of the game that I just used one of the spoiler-free walkthroughs on GameFAQs. Still took me forever and a day to get through! :p

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
This is how I felt about the bonus case in PW1. By the time I got to it, I was so burnt on the length and repetitive formula of the game that I just used one of the spoiler-free walkthroughs on GameFAQs. Still took me forever and a day to get through! :p

I almost commented on your previous post! Yeah I have enjoyed both PW games I've played so far but I really dislike some elements.

Brashnir

I almost commented on your previous post! Yeah I have enjoyed both PW games I've played so far but I really dislike some elements.

A lot of people seemed to really like the final case of the second game, but I'm with you. I thought it was really long and boring and is probably the low point in the series.

The third game completely makes up for it though.

Thores

April Update

Main Post
Backloggery
Q1 Update

Bought in April 2012: -3
Beaten in April 2012: +1
Score in 2012 Pre-April: +4
Current Score: +2

Bought:

Skullgirls (PSN)- Seemed like a really fresh approach to fighting games in my opinion, and it promised a unique story (which, as a weird person, I am a sucker for in fighting games), so I had to support Reverge's efforts with a purchase.

Xenoblade Chronicles- I partially bought this due to GAF hype, and also to convince Nintendo that they need to bring more niche games over this coming gen. Verdict so far? So fucking worth it. 55 hours in and I'm still hooked, doing every sidequest I can get my grubby hands on, dumping way too much time into gem crafting, and constantly trying out weird party lineups to build team affinity. As a result of me doing almost everything as soon as I have the opportunity, the game is actually a bit easy at this point. Not to the extent that it draws me in less, though. Anyway, you can be sure that I'm going to continue playing it, I'm just not even sure another month is enough time for me to beat it!

Kid Icarus Uprising- I got a gift card for my birthday, and used it to buy Uprising, my first retail 3DS game. It's been getting a lot of good reviews, and given Sakurai's track record I feel kind of bad for being surprised when I found that out. Xenoblade has had all my attention so I haven't even started this yet, but I'm spending this weekend in a city without my Wii in it. So I'm sure I'll start playing that and eat some crow soup somewhere in that timeframe.

Beaten:

Skullgirls (PSN)- Beat Story Mode with all 8 characters (so far), and dicked around for a while online with a Fortune/Cerebella team. I think this is an experience absolutely worth 15 bucks, and I hope they can keep hype for the title up long enough to make all the DLC they want. I'm especially interested in the Full Canon Story Mode DLC. Fingers crossed.

On The Horizon:

Well, I bought two used games at my Play N Trade today: Metroid Prime (GC) and Azure Dreams (PS1). Since I bought them in May, they're going to count towards that month's recap and not this one. I'm also already planning on buying Dragon's Dogma this month, so if I don't beat any games in the next 30 days, I'm going to slip into the negative. Uh oh! I guess that's what I get for my current backlog priorities being sprawling epics and/or chunky content-filled RPGs. Maybe I'll knock out some of my Ambassador games during Uprising breaks this weekend.

Brashnir

It's been a while, but I've finally got something worth posting an update.

Finished Trials Evolution. I use "finished" to mean I got to the credits. I have not yet completed the Extreme tracks, and given my level of Trials aptitude, probably never will. I enjoyed Trials HD quite a bit, but I don't think I ever finished even the hard tracks on that one. (I should go back and do it while I've got my skills up from playing Evolution) I have the most fun in these games playing the easy/medium level tracks and trying to improve my times. I find getting through the more difficult tracks interesting the first time, but going back and improving my times on them isn't as much fun.

This game is a nice improvement in the graphical diversity department from HD. The dark, grimy warehouse has given way to a number of locales, which adds another reason to keep fighting through the challenges. I do wish that the locations were laid out a bit less haphazardly throughout the career mode, but this approach is fine even if it could have been better.

I also wish the game had a style mode (especially for the less difficult tracks) where performing stunts and flips were rewarded and were tracked on a separate leaderboard.

Nit-picky complaints aside, this really is a great game, and it's no wonder this is the top-selling franchise on XBLA.

Overall Score - 4/5

In addition to Trials, I also bought Legend of Grimrock. I'm an old-school dungeon crawler kid, and thought this game would be right up my alley.

To make a long story short, I didn't find the game enjoyable at all. The puzzles are moderately interesting, and the exploration and loot aspects are OK, but the combat completely ruins the entire experience. It's a combat system that basically requires you to consistently use cheap tactics that are both un-fun and take forever to finish off monsters once you figure out the trick. Does the game really need me to walk in circles 40 or 50 times in a row to defeat a monster once it's obvious that I've learned the trick?

I didn't finish this game, and I won't be finishing it. That's a -1 that will stick with me.

Ugh. Overall Score - 1/5.

Bought in 2012 - 13
Rayman:Origins
Gears of War 3
Batman: Arkham City
Zen Pinball 3D
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
De Blob 2
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Adventures of Tintin
Pinball Arcade
Hack Slash Loot
Trials Evolution
Legend of Grimrock

Finished in 2012 - 24
Batman:Arkham City
Batman:Arkham Asylum
Gears of War 3
Rayman:Origins
Prince of Persia:The Forgotten Sands
Alan Wake
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
Fable 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Meat Boy
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Mech Commander 2
Zen Pinball 3D
Chrono Trigger
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Elefunk
Back to the Future: Episode 3: Citizen Brown
Back to the Future: Episode 4: Double Visions
Back to the Future: Episode 5: Outatime
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Adventures of Tintin
Hack Slash Loot
Trials Evolution

Overall Score: +11

I didn't finish this game, and I won't be finishing it. That's a -1 that will stick with me.

Why would you keep that as a minus? If you played the game to a point where you feel you´re done with the game - mission accomplished. There is no need to beat every game you purchase just for the sake of it.

God of War: Origins Collection: Ghost of Sparta is done. At the 1/3rd mark I was rolling my eyes at how cheesy it was, but then the rest of the game was awesome. I was super set on quitting the series after this (played them all now) but I may just play Ascension after all...

Puts me at +11, for now

Beat: (+13)
1. LA Noire: Complete Edition
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
5. No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
6. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
7. Duke Nukem Forever
8. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
11. God of War: Origins Collection: Chains of Olympus
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
13. God of War: Origins Collection: Ghost of Sparta

Bought: (-2)
1. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
2. Mass Effect 3

Backlog now at: 21
http://backloggery.com/gryphter

I am probably going to read a comic book series next, so it might be a while before I update.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Current Status -

My Backlog -

http://backloggery.com/Zerokku

Purchased in 2012: -9
Tomb Raider (PS1)
Okami (PS2)
Xenogears (PS1)
Rayman Origins (360)
Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
Mass Effect 3 (360)
Tales of Graces f (PS3)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)

Beaten in January +8
Recettear: An Item Shops Tale
Borderlands
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Descent II
Pokemon White
3D Dot Game Heroes
Gears of War 2
Cave Story +

Beaten in February +6
LIMBO
Metal Gear Solid
Secret of Mana
Dead Space 2
Super Mario All-Stars
Half-Life: Opposing Force

Beaten in March +4
Tales of the Abyss
Super Metroid
Mass Effect 3
Sam & Max Season Two

Beaten in April +4
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Machinarium
Cthulhu Saves The World

Total: +13

Currently Playing:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid 2
Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode Two
Dragon Age: Origins

Definitely slowed down in the later half of the month, but school takes precedence.

Sinople

Update for April

Bought:
Tales of Graces F (PS3)
Journey (PS3)
Rayman Origins (PS3), 2500 yen in Japan, thanks Ubi!
Metal Max 3 (DS)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3), I wasn't planing to buy it yet but 1980 yen for a sealed copy was too good a deal to pass up.
Legend of Heroes Ao no Kiseki (PSP)
Final Fantasy Type-0 (PSP)
Bio Hazard 3 (PS1)

Finished:
Front Mission 1st (PS1)
I forgot how easy the OCU part was. The USN part is quite brutal in comparison, at least at the beginning. I miss the darker, almost cyberpunk, atmosphere of this one in the more recent FM.

Total for the month: -7
Total for the year: -30

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I'm currently building a backlog website, and I was wondering what sort of features you would want in it? I have some pretty ambitious ideas that will differentiate it enough from backloggery, but is there anything specific that you guys would find useful?

I would love to be able to grandfather my own order over alphabetical. I hate seeing...

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

...in my Backloggery. Drives me insane.

guest1321

Hey guys, I'm currently building a backlog website, and I was wondering what sort of features you would want in it? I have some pretty ambitious ideas that will differentiate it enough from backloggery, but is there anything specific that you guys would find useful?

- I like being able to track time played (also, if it is possible to track playtime similar to raptr that would be nice)
- I don't like how I am limited by backloggery's review length nor a 5 star system without a .5 increment
- It would be cool if it was an all media encompassing backlog (movies, tv series, magazines, books)
- It should have the various video games and media already in the system rather than having users enter the information
- It should have a global user rating system
- Your backlog should be able to be filtered by time till completion, rating and things of that nature
- A Friends list and customizable homespace/page is cool but I would not consider it a major feature
- You should be able to build a queue to work through
- How long to beat has a lot of cool features but I like backloggery as a core system so take that for what it is worth
- I feel that entering games into backlog can sometimes be tedious, if there was a way to minimize that, it would be great.
- Someone mentioned a cost/time ratio and I like that idea. Other ratios of that nature would definitely be a cool feature (rating/cost)
- A wish list or watch list with a lowest price and available low prices would be good to
- A GOTY list and top games of all time for each player would be really cool
- I am a fan of the breakdown of per console completion at backloggery
- I find backloggery's dashboard to be to narrow. Think wide, use the space on screens.
- If you could have a mobile app and desktop app in the future that it syncs with that would be really cool
- Achievement/trophy integration would be neat but not necessary
- Customized rss feeds at user homepage would be a cool concept to play with
- A way to link to live/psn/wii/steam/origin/raptr/howlongtobeat/neogaf/backloggery profiles would also be cool but not necessary
- VISUALS/CHARTS/PIEGRAPHS SHOULD BE HEAVILY USED AT THE HOME SCREEN. (if I want more details I will click)
- Avoid too many colors
- Possibly include a user feed with updates from all players with a prop system and things of that nature
If I think of any more I will edit.

Brashnir

Why would you keep that as a minus? If you played the game to a point where you feel you´re done with the game - mission accomplished. There is no need to beat every game you purchase just for the sake of it.

That's how the scoring system works. It's effectively out of the backlog, but the goal of the thread is to finish games.

guest1321

Yeah, ok. I thought the idea was just to clear the backlog, but the OP sets the rules of course.

If I played the games to the point of completion I would be done with pretty much all of my games. This thread gives me a reason to finish games and it would be pointless to just say I played 30 minutes, didn't like it, +1.

ghibli99

If I played the games to the point of completion I would be done with pretty much all of my games. This thread gives me a reason to finish games and it would be pointless to just say I played 30 minutes, didn't like it, +1.
Yep, I'm listing stuff where that happens to me (played for a little while, not my cup of tea, moving on), but not counting them. This also gives my +1s more weight & meaning vs. just counting everything I happen to touch.

I have way too many games in my backlog to just list them, but I definitely mean to fix that. I've been trying to not buy games as much in an effort to clear that nonsense out. Keeping score like this might be a good incentive.

Games bought in 2012 (-8)
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3DS (-1)
[360] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD (-1)
[PS3] No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise (-1)
[PS3] Street Fighter x Tekken (-1)
[PS3] Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (-1)
[PSX/PSN] Parasite Eve (-1)
[PSX/PSN] Resident Evil 2 (-1)
[PSN] Journey (-1)
[Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (-1)

Games finished in 2012 (+2)
[PC] Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (+1)
[PC] The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut (+1)

In Progress
[PC] The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition

Current Score

coopolon

I actually think the way backloggery looks is terrible. I've never gotten much into editing it to personalize it, but I really wish it would take advantage of widescreen monitors.

I also think it would be a good idea to be able to import excel spreadsheets or csv's. It wouldn't have to be that flexible, i.e. just say it HAS to be in the format game name, system, status (U, B, C, M), review score (1-5), etc. But entering games on the backloggery website one at a time is a massive pita. It'd so much easier to just construct a spreadsheet, upload it, then have all the advantages of having it online. It would also follow that it'd be great to be able to export as well.

I can see the appeal of having a centralized database, but if I had to choose between central database or enter games on your own I would go with the latter since it allows more flexibility. I would also like playtime counters.

I would like better options for games you've rented, borrowed, sold, etc. Backloggery has "formerly owned" and "borrowed/rented" which are fine, but my problem with them is that they basically delete the games from all counters. I wish I could use backloggery as a way to track # of games I've beaten, played, etc. but since once you enter something as borrowed tit disappears from all trackers I would have to keep my own separate tally to account for those categories.

I think being able to create custom systems would be nice. Where I would benefit most from this is on PC sometimes I buy a game from some random PC digital distribution shop. Checking just now I see that backloggery has added origin, gog, gfw, gamersgate, gamefly, etc. which is actually pretty awesome, but there are still random ones that aren't accounted for like individual stores (thq for example) and I don't see Amazon on here either. Also missing GreenManGaming.

I am more interested in analyzing my trends and seeing other people's trends then comparing my trends to others trends, so I guess I always want more flexibility rather than more centralization.

Oh, and unlimited or near unlimited space to review games. I actually normally write one to two paragraph reviews of all the games I play which I occasionally post in here or in the Steam thread but always keep in my own personal journal, and it'd be great if I could keep those in the same place as where I keep my list of games.

Really I should just make my own spreadsheet. I've tried it in the past, but I always get bogged down in picking categories. I'm such a data oriented guy that I want as many categories as possible, like date of purchase, price purchased at, genre, date of first play, date of completion, any future dates of playing, etc. And while all of that is easy for games going forward, I actually waste time trying to figure out dates going back as well which is where I get lost. The two features I'd miss from backoggery is the "now playing tab" and the "recent activity tab". Maybe there are ways to do that on a spreadsheet as well.

Being able to track more than just video games would be a huge plus for me. My book backlog is just as bad as my video game one, and I always alternate between playing a game and then reading a book or comic series

ghibli99

Update:

Finished Mega Man and Mega Man II. MM1 was alright, but the difficulty was a bit off-putting to me. Just felt really rough as an entire experience/game, but still had memorable moments and good music.

MM2, though, was just about perfect. Probably irks MM die-hards, but I found the difficulty on Normal to be just right. Not too easy, as there were some seriously tough sections, but I didn't feel like I was getting my ass kicked the entire time like I did in MM1. Who knows, maybe struggling through MM1 helped me here. Graphics were such an upgrade, and the music is pretty phenomenal. I do want to go through it on Difficult, since I found some of the late-game bosses to be a little easy, but damn did they look awesome.

Good stuff. Looking forward to playing the rest of the series!

Puts me at +12. I also sold Kid Icarus: Uprising. After an hour, I just couldn't hang with the controls. Unfortunate, given the quality of the rest of it.

Cleared the last three episodes in Back to the Future, and beat the Renegade Ops DLC in coop.

Now playing
Skyrim - 70h played

Bought - 0
(PixelJunk Eden)

Beaten - 9
Gemini Rue
Gray Matter
Ghost Trick
The Witcher 2
Shogun 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Defence Grid
Back to the Future: The Game
Renegade Ops DLC

Remaining backlog
Skyrim
Fallout: New Vegas DLC - have only just started Dead Money
Alpha Protocol - 2h played so far.
Rock of Ages
Europa Universalis III
The Last Express
Trine 2 - a couple of levels left in coop.

Sendou

Let's see

Bought: -15
Pullblox
Ace Combat 3DS
Zen Pinball 3D
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Aliens: Infestation
GTA: Chinatown Story
GTA: Vice City Stories
GTA: Liberty City Stories
Uncharted: GA
Rayman Origins
Super Stardust Delta
Escape Plan
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!!!
FFT: The War of Lions
MotorStorm RC
BF3
Rochard

Legend of Grimrock
TLoZ: Links Awakening
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
SML: 6 Golden Coins
(Bolded=Beaten)

Beaten: +13
MK7
Darksiders
Osmos
Bastion
Flight Control HD
Portal 2
VVVVVV
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (proud of this one because I have tried to play this numerous times and only this time I managed to complete it... It was kind of dull really.)
Ass Creed
PoP (08)
Ass Creed 2
Just Cause 2
Burnout: Paradise

Score: -2

Yeah seems like I went digital handheld shopping spree and it really reduced my score.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to do (if I remember correctly, it was actually possible in the early days of backloggery but they removed the feature, or it was something like this anyways.) - But I would love it if it were possible to click a game in your backlog, and see a list of other users who have it in their backlog as well.

Mostly because I love to just randomly browse peoples profiles.

che...
i updated my personal wall of shame and man do i suck?
still missing plenty pc titles from that list, ALL my xbox 360, ps3 titles that i didn't bring when i moved to milan (a lot), all of my ds collection (quite some backlog btw), my ps2/psx/ backlog (quite scarce as it would at least rise the game completition % a lot,my ps2/xbox/gc/psx backlog is pretty much non-existant)...
backlog wise i'm so ------ i might as well stop counting :X
http://backloggery.com/witchedwiz

ghibli99

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to do (if I remember correctly, it was actually possible in the early days of backloggery but they removed the feature, or it was something like this anyways.) - But I would love it if it were possible to click a game in your backlog, and see a list of other users who have it in their backlog as well.

Mostly because I love to just randomly browse peoples profiles.
That would be pretty cool. I already do that with folks in this thread. :)

vall03

Mostly played shmups during April thanks to various sales and freebies. Really enjoyed all the CAVE shmups I played and this is seriously the first time I liked the genre. Odd one here is Infinity Blade, not really that good but Im impressed on the technical design, can't believe how it longs considering its on a phone. Only other game that I finished is Tales of Graces f, took me a while to get the platinum. Galaga was an impulse buy thanks to Avengers movie mentioning it lol

Anyway, it kinda sucks that I slowed down a lot during April and I don't see it changing this month either. Im still having trouble with Innocent Sin because of how long the dungeons are and Im so OCD on filling out the maps since it will bug the hell out of me looking at an incomplete map. Still not in the mood for Skyrim, want to get the platinum on Atelier Rorona but I barely had any playtime recently. Also started selling a lot of my games, sadly it wont have any effect since the bulk of my remaining backlog are either on Steam or from download services. For now I have no idea which game I want to play. Im also still waiting for eXceed Collection and Cherry Tree High Comedy Club to hit Steam.

http://www.backloggery.com/vall03

Apr: -10
Infinity Blade
Metal Torrent
Bug Princess
Aura-Aura Climber
TROUBLE WITCHES NEO
Bug Princess 2
DoDonPachi Blissful Death
Deathsmiles
Espgaluda II
Galaga

Apr: +11
Infinity Blade
Metal Torrent
Bug Princess
Aura-Aura Climber
TROUBLE WITCHES NEO
Bug Princess 2
DoDonPachi Blissful Death
Deathsmiles
Espgaluda II
Tales of Graces f
Galaga

Purchased: -27
Finished: +39

Jan: +6
Feb: +6
Mar: -1
Apr: +1

Total Points: +12

So I read 19 issues of Neil Gaiman's Sandman (adore it) but then my fiance discovered the wonders of iOS gaming and I haven't seen my iPad since. I think it's her iPad now. I played 1 night of ME3 multiplayer to bide the time but then I realized I can just play a legit game from my backlog.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Wii version) is done. I am a big fan of Ghostbusters; played it on 360 when it first came out, played the DS version (completely different game) about a year ago, and finally got around to the Wii version just now (almost the same game, different dev, pointer controls). The Wii version... not so good. Pointer controls were good enough but sometimes it wouldn't take your directional swing, which became frustrating when it happened. Boring level design and the enemies took way too long to defeat... I'm keeping my 360 version, the Wii version is going bye bye.

Puts me at +12, for now

Beat: (+14)
1. LA Noire: Complete Edition
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
5. No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
6. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
7. Duke Nukem Forever
8. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
11. God of War: Origins Collection: Chains of Olympus
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
13. God of War: Origins Collection: Ghost of Sparta
14. Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Wii version)

Bought: (-2)
1. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
2. Mass Effect 3

Backlog now at: 20
http://backloggery.com/gryphter

I am going to continue reading Sandman but will probably be playing a game as well. Hmm, which one...

edit: Valkyria Chronicles II it is.

coopolon

My backloggery. Link to previous post.
Bought so far in 2012: 2
Beaten so far in 2012: 12
Score: +10

Beaten:
Final Fantasy IV: So, I think this might be the first JRPG I've ever beaten. I think I might have beaten Final Fantasy 1 at some point. I know I've played it but I remember it being so bland I probably didn't even know at the time if I'd beaten it or not.

FFIV was...good. JRPGs are weird huh? I think I made the mistake of relying too much on a guide which kind of spoiled the experience for me.

The story was interesting enough to keep me playing. At some point
Probably around the time you go to the moon
I started wondering WTF was going on in my fantasy RPG, and it just kept getting weirder, but never enough to turn me off. Cecil and Kain are both whiny bitches, but everyone else was entertaining to watch. I actually laughed quite a few times at some of the more entertaining characters like Rydia, the twins, and Edge. I believe I recall hearing people discuss IV and VI as being the story high points for the series. If that's true, it is really bad news because this story was just barely interesting enough to keep me going though. I think it's difficult to have a great story when you have such a sullen brat as the main character. "Ohhhh...I can never be with Rita because I'm a Dark Knight. Woe is me. Let me cry about it for a bit."

The best part was in the leveling up and the combat. I don't mind the semi-turn based combat. I've always enjoyed turn-based games. I liked all the spells and summons that you gradually get. It wasn't even that bad hitting a dungeon, seeing I am getting my ass kicked, and then going and grinding for awhile and them coming and eating everything for breakfast.

The biggest problem I had with the game was savepoints. One of the reasons I turned to a guide was because I was tired of getting killed while learning the weakness of a new monster only to have to replay the last half hour of the dungeon to get back. So I started looking up the weaknesses when first encountering. There are spells and items that are supposed to help (libra and bestiary), but those rarely worked for me. Perhaps the most eggregious example is the last boss. The closest savepoint to the last boss is at least half an hour away, and that half hour is full of the most difficult monsters you'll encounter the entire game.

The other major problem I have with the game is secrets. you will miss a lot of rather major items/summons/etc. without a guide. For example, Odin. I would never have found Odin if it hadn't been mentioned in the guide: go back to the very first city you started in and explore the bottom of one of 4 towers you've already explored but Odin wasn't there yet because the story hadn't progressed enough. What? It'd be one thing if secrets were clearly hinted at in random dialogues because everyone knows in RPGs you should talk to everyone, but they're not, or if they are hinted at it's done in such an obtuse way they might as well not be. Edit: This is of course a generalization, some secrets are hinted at quite well, but a lot aren't.

Do you guys include iOS/mobile games? Not necessarily the bite size ones, but I have a handful that I would consider actual, backloggable games; Sword and Sorcery plus Dead Space iOS come to mind.

zkylon

zkylewd
Uneventful month, I predict. Let's see...

Bought: -1
Max Payne 3

Beaten: +1
Mass Effect 3 (disliked)

Yup, boring month indeed, so no changes, though I'm about to beat Persona 3 and make some progress... This leaves me on a very respectable -4, just in time for the summer sales backlog rape.

Asparagus

Currently Playing:
Mega Man X4 (assuming it finally turns up)
DayZ
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Advance Wars

Bought: -1
Mega Man X4

Beat: +2
Diablo II: LoD
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Current Score: 21

Stubo

Bought in 2012 : 14
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
Forza 4
Mass Effect 3
Batman: Arkham City
Fable III
Binary Domain
Daytona USA XBLA
Lara Croft: Guardian of Light
Fez
Trials Evolution
Assassins Creed: Revelations
Bit.Trip Complete
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Final Fantasy XIII-2

Beaten in 2012 : 31
Skyrim
Shadows of the Damned
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
Sonic Generations
Alan Wake (+DLC)
Bulletstorm
BioShock 2 (+DLC)
Daytona USA
Saints Row: The Third
Batman: Arkham City (+DLC)
Mass Effect 3
Forza 4
FEZ
Outland
Binary Domain
Lara Croft: Guardian of Light
Trials Evolution
Scott Pilgrim: The Game
Limbo
Splosion Man
Shadow Complex
Hydro Thunder XBLA
Monkey Island: SE
Monkey Island 2: SE
Wolfenstein 3d XBLA
Assassins Creed II (+DLC)
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
Assassins Creed: Revelations (+DLC)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (+DLC)
Fable III
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Current Score: 17

Still got 6 RPGs in my 360 backlog (Blue Dragon, FF13, FF13-2, Lost Odyssey, Fallout: New Vegas, Dark Souls), and many others which hopefully won't take >40 hours each.

Brashnir

Do you guys include iOS/mobile games? Not necessarily the bite size ones, but I have a handful that I would consider actual, backloggable games; Sword and Sorcery plus Dead Space iOS come to mind.

I'd count them if I had any that I planned to play.

ghibli99

I'd count them if I had any that I planned to play.
Agreed... I counted Superbrothers:S&S EP on my list, and if I ever get to them, the Infinity Blade games as well. On the flipside, even though I only spent a handful of hours with Journey and Dear Esther, I counted 'em. The only ones I don't count are the games I start and quit because I didn't like them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
3 Month Updated! :O

Played
Jan
Bulletstorm(PC)
Portal 2(PC)
Mass Effect(PC)
Mass Effect 2(PC)

Feb
Dragon Age Origns Ultimate Edition(PC)
Deus Ex Human Revolution Missing Link(PC)

March
Mirror's Edge(PC)

April
Hunted:Demon Forge(PC)
Final Fantasy XIII-2(360)

May
Batman Arkham City(PC)
Dawn of War II(PC)

Total: +9

Bought
January
Battlefield 3(Amazon DD): 25$
Duke Nukem Forever(Amazon DD):1$
Risen 6(Amazon DD)$

Feb
Gundam Extreme Versus(Ebay): 84$
Supreme Commander(Amazon DD) 3.75$

March
Dragon Knight Saga(Amazon DD): 6$
Tales of Graces F(Amazon): 40$

April
Nada

May
Diablo III(Newegg):49.99$

Bought: -8

I exclude repurchases of old titles.

Wow, thanks so much for all the replies about the backlog site guys, I'm taking everything into consideration. I'll be building it in the symfony2 framework, which I'm learning at the moment (so good!). Those annoyed by backloggery's sluggish way of entering new games should be happy with what I'm doing, you will not be redirected to a new page when adding, it will all be loaded in to the current page via Ajax. Editing entries will be quick too, just click on the title and the game's field will expand, allowing quick editing.

As for the color scheme, I'm trying to give it a modern, clean look. Sort of like iTunes library but for games.

Also, to the person who said something about game ordering (e.g how Uncharted 2 and 3 were before 1 on backloggery), that will be addressed by having a 'part of series' field, all games of the same series will be placed together, and the order can be chosen by the user.

I have photoshopped some designs, I'll upload something when I get to my desktop.

Edit:

7nK92.png

BufkI.png

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Also, to the person who said something about game ordering (e.g how Uncharted 2 and 3 were before 1 on backloggery), that will be addressed by having a 'part of series' field, all games of the same series will be placed together, and the order can be chosen by the user.

You're a good man davonaytor.

EDIT: You're not planning on doing it like Backloggery's compilation feature are you? Because that looks pretty bad too...And their alphabetical system screwed me over twice with the Sly Collection! Argh!

Top Bottom