• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 3.0 Feature Update

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Welcome to NeoGAF 3.0! We have a lot of exciting new features that we're sure you'll love or love to hate. See that? We're already diving right in to new stuff!

Push Notifications
That's right, you can now keep up with what's happening on GAF even when you're not browsing GAF!
iC7ajWl.png

When you visit NeoGAF and log in, you'll be prompted (at the bottom of the screen) to enable push notifications.
jBWWMG4.png

If you click "enable push notifications", you'll get your browser's dialog for handling these requests:
AtHDIrD.png

If you allow the notifications, you'll get a "Welcome" notification, so you know everything is set up correctly.
9gjfuCb.png

Now when someone replies to a watched thread, replies to one of your messages, mentions you, reacts to you, starts a new conversation, or when you earn an achievement: you'll get a handy pop-up notification on your device.

If you want to disable push notifications, or restrict which notifications you'd like to see, you can do so from your Account Preferences page.
4PBp8Q0.png

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control (ie Apple said "No Way Jose") these push notifications don't work on any iDevices (iPhones, iPads), or while using Safari running on MacOS.

Reactions
Sometimes you like something, and sometimes you like like something. Sometimes a simple "thumbs up" doesn't really convey the emotional gravitas of your feelings. So we've replaced the "Likes" system you've come to know and love on NeoGAF with "Reactions". If you're in a hurry, you can still just click the "Like" button to reaction with a "Like".
duTnwdG.png

vuQS8WB.png

KObmjpq.png

Top Navigation
Are you tired of having to click the sidebar open every time you want to go from browsing Gaming to Off-Topic? Look no further than the top of the screen! Each button at the top corresponds to a different top-level discussion board. Handy, right?
eVA3FcX.png

Expanded Bookmark Functionality
We're excited to announce the latest in bookmark technology. In addition to being able to create a note with bookmarks, you can now create a custom label to assign to it. You can also filter your bookmarks based on assigned labels. Hurray!
NmT4gQj.png

tcwSIB5.png

Support for Tables
With this update, you can now insert tables into your posts.
qDjFiqG.png

bfx0ELj.png

HereIsASampleTable
EasyRight?

Dynamic URL Parsing
If you enter a URL on it's own line, our system will now automatically parse that site's relevant information to show a better formatted link.
McdPKsU.png

Improved Image Tools
Clicking on an inserted image will give you a new menu that will let you align the image, resize the image, and much more. You can also click and drag the edges of the image to resize it dynamically.
zpoLTLa.png

Share Options on Every Post
You want to tell your friends about NeoGAF, and we think you should. At the top of every post there is now a share icon you can hover over to send that post directly to Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Email, and more.
Ubhyelk.png

Inline Spoilers
No longer will your spoiler text be encumbered by giant, paragraph breaking buttons. Unless you want them to.

Just select Insert inline spoiler from the editor, and your selected text fill become super fuzzy in no time. You can also enclose your text in the new BBcode: ISPOILER. But don't say I didn't warn you.
9jnXrjs.png

New Editor Icons
Everything is exactly where it used to be, it just has a fresh coat of paint and new icons. These should make things much easier for people using touch-enabled devices!
D9TROR2.png

Easier Emoji
Emoji are easier than typing a bunch of stuff, and we made selecting just the right emoji even easier. When inserting an emoji, a new box will pop up that will let you select from a list, or search to find just the right icon to express your feelings.
JiS3Hoc.png

You can also have emoji autocomplete while typing, just put a : and start typing what you're looking for.
XbQ87CJ.png

Show Password Button When Logging In
Did I type hunter2, or hunter3? Now you can find out, without second-guessing yourself. Click the "Show" button on the login screen to see the password you've already typed in. Just make sure nobody is looking over your shoulder while doing so.
GOgvwHF.png

IBXgyWS.png

Lots and Lots More Small Changes
We've added trending posts to the home page. We've added mouse hover effects and visual indicators all over the site. We added category icons to the home page forum listing. Menus in the sidebar now have a cool arrow flip animation. Profile, Alerts, and Settings in the sidebar now have icons. We made the top banner on the modern theme smaller so you can see more of the content you love.

Tons More to Come
We have a lot of exciting new features we're working on that haven't even been announced yet. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Much love to Gromph Gromph and Palliasso Palliasso for their dev work on this major update. We're maintaining two sets of responsive visual designs these days (Classic and Modern), so it's non-trivial to get everything 100%! I'm really looking forward to using all these new features, though, and on behalf of the NeoGAF admin and mod team, I hope you all enjoy. :messenger_smiling:

Antoon

Banned
Is this the same forum layout that Resetera uses? When I saw this new look I thought it was some joke to look like Resetera aesthetic.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Doesn’t work well for me on iPhone X. The top right icons don’t fit and so The search is useless. And the burger menu when open won’t let me use the settings icon, it just keeps scroll back up once clicked. Very odd.

bitbydeath

Looks great. The search bar doesn’t really display at the top on mobile in portrait. Any chance we can switch it out for ‘Watched Threads?’ I’d use that a lot more anyway. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Emotes are displaying one per line which means a lot of scrolling is involved to find the right one. Can that be fixed? I’m picky I know. :messenger_weary:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Great work but i prefer the classic dark theme.

These updates are theme agnostic for both Classic and Modern (other than quality of life improvements like header quick links for Modern). Modern theme isn't new. :lollipop_grinning_sweat: People's theme preferences reverted to default as part of the update is all.

As mentioned, if you prefer Classic theme, you can use the theme switcher at the bottom of any page.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
These updates are theme agnostic for both Classic and Modern (other than quality of life improvements like header quick links for Modern). Modern theme isn't new. :lollipop_grinning_sweat: People's theme preferences reverted to default as part of the update is all.
You can select that theme in the preferences or the bottom of the page.
I didn't express myself well, but i know you can change the theme in preferences. I was referring that i will continue using the classic theme despite the new updates.

I have a suggestion, please add a watched threads button in this blank space;

On a more serious note, I love the new functionality. Tables work really intuitively and the image editing feature save me a ton of hassle. Dynamic URL parsing is also really cool, this forum just got seriously...

Good job team👍

mcjmetroid

Loving the new changes. Really bringing these up to line with a social media platform.

One thing though. Can you auto hide the sidebar or just hide it altogether unless I click on the burger? It's always showing for me on my screen.

Edit: Nevermind you just "click" on the burger icon......hmm I'm an idiot

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
In the preferences i can't change the filter for the search option like before. Now shows the results by relevance:messenger_face_screaming::messenger_loudly_crying:, please let me change to order date by default.

Pallas

Gold Member
Very nice, thank you for your hard work. I like the newer look!

Edit: I notice in the Safari browser that when you click the upper left icon to open up the options, the very bottom is obstructed by the bottom of the browser. Sorry if it’s already been mentioned.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Very nice, thank you for your hard work. I like the newer look!

Edit: I notice in the Safari browser that when you click the upper left icon to open up the options, the very bottom is obstructed by the bottom of the browser. Sorry if it’s already been mentioned.
Strange it's working fine on my Safari.

Top Bottom