• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Who is/was Deleted member 77995 ? I've been seeing posts from this member over the past few weeks in older threads.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-punisher-goes-woke.1470688/post-253697121
I do not think administration would even be allowed to tell. For you, there ar two ways to find out:
1. Find a thread where 77995 is the first poster and look up the thread creator. It's 77995's nickname at the time
2. Find a post that quotes a post by 77995 - the nickname written in the quote environment is 77995's nickname at the time (if the user quoting did not change it manually).

plushyp

I do not think administration would even be allowed to tell. For you, there ar two ways to find out:
1. Find a thread where 77995 is the first poster and look up the thread creator. It's 77995's nickname at the time
2. Find a post that quotes a post by 77995 - the nickname written in the quote environment is 77995's nickname at the time (if the user quoting did not change it manually).
I tried those suggestions until search was disabled yesterday. Have been unsuccessful with point 1 and as for the second, thanks that did the trick. The member is/was whiskeystrike. I also came across Deleted member 1235 who is catphish.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Who is/was Deleted member 77995 ? I've been seeing posts from this member over the past few weeks in older threads.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-punisher-goes-woke.1470688/post-253697121
I tried those suggestions until search was disabled yesterday. Have been unsuccessful with point 1 and as for the second, thanks that did the trick. The member is/was whiskeystrike. I also came across Deleted member 1235 who is catphish.
Perhaps there is a reason they requested to fully delete their profiles, including their names. So why name them?

I know, its not hard to find out their names, its a superficial solution at best. But it seems to me that if they went through the troubles of deleting their records fully, they just may, you know, not want people to find them with that name.

Imo you shouldn't facilitate this for the reason explained above. But what do i know, right?

Reactions: HMM

plushyp

Perhaps there is a reason they requested to fully delete their profiles, including their names. So why name them?

I know, its not hard to find out their names, its a superficial solution at best. But it seems to me that if they went through the troubles of deleting their records fully, they just may, you know, not want people to find them with that name.

Imo you shouldn't facilitate this for the reason explained above. But what do i know, right?
Catphish made a thread for their goodbye. What you said might apply to whiskeystrike but I don't think it would apply to the former. This information can easily be found out and since the admins or mods didn't bother to respond I don't think there should be an issue here. If they do have an issue then I'll edit but I've only named them for some users who were wondering about where one or the other disappeared.

Redneckerz

You are not wrong.
In what?

Catphish made a thread for their goodbye. What you said might apply to whiskeystrike but I don't think it would apply to the former. This information can easily be found out and since the admins or mods didn't bother to respond I don't think there should be an issue here.
I know it can be easily found out. That's not the point. The point is that the user's intent is to remove any personal data from the GAF servers within their reach. So for you to then associate the user ID with the name is kind of.. you know?

That staff does not want to respond is a seperate issue, but one which i share with yours.

If they do have an issue then I'll edit but I've only named them for some users who were wondering about where one or the other disappeared.
I have not seen anybody wondering about it in this topic except for yourself.

Then again, people only wonder about the fate of others when they are still in good spirits with them. If you are not part of the clique anymore, then you are basically dead to them. Its a cynical POV but its not uncommon, both IRL and online.

EDIT: Besides that, one of the names is mentioned anyways in your link.

Last edited:

plushyp

I know it can be easily found out. That's not the point. The point is that the user's intent is to remove any personal data from the GAF servers within their reach. So for you to then associate the user ID with the name is kind of.. you know?
Both of us can keep going into a circular argument about the point but in the end neither you or me know their intent in getting their account deleted. It could have been for an 'N' number of reasons which we will never be privy to. Their posts will still be around and in the archive for when users want to take a look back and reminisce.

I have not seen anybody wondering about it in this topic except for yourself.

Then again, people only wonder about the fate of others when they are still in good spirits with them. If you are not part of the clique anymore, then you are basically dead to them. Its a cynical POV but its not uncommon, both IRL and online.

EDIT: Besides that, one of the names is mentioned anyways in your link.
Yes, I thought they were merged or banned members at first which is why I asked here. Many queries here have been posted by one user wondering about something or someone. Anyway, I will leave it at that.

Redneckerz

In what I have quoted.
Oh, we are doing that thing again.

Alright. My mistake.

Both of us can keep going into a circular argument about the point but in the end neither you or me know their intent in getting their account deleted. It could have been for an 'N' number of reasons which we will never be privy to. Their posts will still be around and in the archive for when users want to take a look back and reminisce.
If they are deleting themselves, why should we know the backdrop of it?

Last edited:

Detective GAF is best GAF

Yoshi

Oh, we are doing that thing again.

Alright. My mistake.
I have no idea what you wanted to ask by the question the first time or now. I think I have been clear in what I agreed upon, I agreed with what you said to me. No idea why you are pissy.

Redneckerz

I have no idea what you wanted to ask by the question the first time or now. I think I have been clear in what I agreed upon, I agreed with what you said to me. No idea why you are pissy.
I realize ive misunderstood things. As for the question, it was not one that you had to answer, it was rhetorical.

D

Deleted member 749832

Unconfirmed Member
Hi,

Could I have please my account completely removed from the system along with my details. As per the "right to be forgotten" guidelines.

Much appreciated!

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
can I find out who keeps banning me for the most trivial reasons?

0091c7877d55d6c3dc9b047750a19277.png

god bless this place

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
can I find out who keeps banning me for the most trivial reasons?

There is no singular person banning you. You have been banned twice.

You were reply banned on 26th March to this topic and given a notification/warning for your low effort. This did not have the effect we would have hoped and you continued to post in the same vein. A second moderator then took the action of giving you a short break for three days, assuming you just needed a break to stop being so immature.

This was followed up with a ban on 9th April for the post linked in your ban and general antagonistic posts like this.

You have four warnings on your account (accrued over time), unfortunately you are a 'victim' of your prolonged low effort, passive aggressive or antagonistic posts (e.g. here, here [edited by mod] and here). However, the bans have been quite short in an attempt to softly give you a benchmark of what is acceptable and what is not. It is up to you whether you take this on board or not going forward.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
This feels a bit unfair as anything I say to dispute those bans will just lead to me getting banned, most likely permanently. I'm glad, however, that you linked all my posts that got me banned for others to see. the reasons i'm getting banned do not feel unsimilar to the reasons I got banned from era - 'downplaying fascism, concern trolling, arguing in bad faith', etc when all I was doing was defending trump supporters ability to respectfully express their opinions....

This was followed up with a ban on 9th April for the post linked in your ban and general antagonistic posts like this.
I can't even make sense of this one. I didn't think I should have to explain myself here -- but I am French.

but If I am not welcome here - I will leave.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
There is no singular person banning you. You have been banned twice.

You were reply banned on 26th March to this topic and given a notification/warning for your low effort. This did not have the effect we would have hoped and you continued to post in the same vein. A second moderator then took the action of giving you a short break for three days, assuming you just needed a break to stop being so immature.

You have four warnings on your account (accrued over time), unfortunately you are a 'victim' of your prolonged low effort, passive aggressive or antagonistic posts (e.g. here, here [edited by mod] and here). However, the bans have been quite short in an attempt to softly give you a benchmark of what is acceptable and what is not. It is up to you whether you take this on board or not going forward.
Those examples seem pretty tame to me, relatively speaking.

Papa

Banned
They may have been said meekly, but incel accusations generally don’t go down well here, especially when they’re done ad hominem.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
They may have been said meekly, but incel accusations generally don’t go down well here, especially when they’re done ad hominem.
They don't? I've been called an incel before and nothing happened as far as I could tell. Not like I give a shit about petty insults though.

But to be fair, it's not like I can see other users' warning unless the mod decides to edit the post.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
This feels a bit unfair as anything I say to dispute those bans will just lead to me getting banned, most likely permanently. I'm glad, however, that you linked all my posts that got me banned for others to see. the reasons i'm getting banned do not feel unsimilar to the reasons I got banned from era - 'downplaying fascism, concern trolling, arguing in bad faith', etc when all I was doing was defending trump supporters ability to respectfully express their opinions....

You can say what you want without a threat of ban within the confines of this conversation. I'm not one for taking offence. You were free to email in whilst banned for a review. We still need to get round to adding in an 'appeal' button on that page. But the actual post was published with the ban message.

The posts mentioned fell into the 'pot' of actual changes/edits/interventions that mods made, there were more listed like this that are just there to poke at other users or antagonise (this post was left alone, please note). As described this is an accumulation, many of these reports were just rejected/ignored and you were given the benefit of the doubt. However, after a period of time that benefit of the doubt wears out, and you need to adjust slightly when it becomes troublesome.

Contrary to belief we're not sitting here waiting to ban people or actively seeking users out. That's far too much effort and work. So, to you, maybe each small post means nothing overly sinister. To the people who are here regularly, maybe they are tired of almost every post being of the same ilk. When we get reports we review a lot of metrics, context, history, honest engagement, sustained engagement and personal altercations etc. They are usually very fair. Self moderation is indeed the best form of moderation but when users lack the self-restraint we have to give them a prod. We trusted a short ban would have had that effect, but upon your return there were certain posts that fell into that short hot-take category that again looked to serve no purpose except inject a point of controversy. Upon moderation it would appear that the appeals to common sense were unsuccessful. I would ask in the spirit of goodwill, you review the posts that meet this criteria, go back and provide exposition on your points, that illustrate you actually want to engage with the discussions at hand and not drop a metaphorical hand grenade and exit.

However, if you feel that this was unfair or misinterpreted then we can only apologise. You can reach out to me via PM as well.

Kagey K

Banned
I just want to go on record.

I still believe the post I posted before I got banned that said there aren’t any astroturfers on GAF.

I just got so sick of reading it that I decided (poorly,) that no matter what anyone said to me, in agreement or not, I was going to cal all of them astroturfers wholesale, just to point out how absurd it had become.

It has become the “racist” or “nazi” deflection on the gaming side, and the word itself has become a way to derail threads.

It should be bannable (in my case it was,) and going forward I’m going to report it every time I see the word (or insinuation of it)pop up.

As I proved people don’t like being called it, and it never brings any good to the conversation.

I wasn’t conditioned and there was no tinfoil hat, I just wanted to show how absurd and ridiculous the accusations had become.

Kagey K

Banned
Question to mods:
When it becomes apparent that a member of the community refuses to engage with you in good faith and has started to habitually use the "upvote" mechanism to show 'triggered' when you interact in the same thread as them, how would this conduct be regarded?

I’d like to know this also, as I seem to have acquired an internet boyfriend who mentions me in wierd topics I’d never go to, and just seems generally obsessed with me.

It’s kind of creepy, especially after seeing his other posts,

Last edited:

Yoshi

I’d like to know this also, as I seem to have acquired an internet boyfriend who mentions me in wierd topics I’d never go to, and just seems generally obsessed with me.

It’s kind of creepy, especially after seeing his other posts,
So it's a no :(?

DarkestHour

Banned
Somehow I've missed this thread. This is my second account here because one of the old dipshit moderators banned me for some beyond stupid reason. So very glad the days of perma banning someone because a mod doesn't agree with their comment is done with.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Somehow I've missed this thread. This is my second account here because one of the old dipshit moderators banned me for some beyond stupid reason. So very glad the days of perma banning someone because a mod doesn't agree with their comment is done with.

What was your original account? You can PM me if you prefer.

Yoshi

Mods, Admins, I'd like to raise an issue regarding my previous ban. The reason I was given a ban was for "April Fools trolling" which I didn't know was a bannable offense since other users made April fools thread that day.

It's now come to my attention that a certain user has potentially been the reason as to why I received my previous ban. Please read this quote from the user:

I was a bit shocked to hear this and I see that this user believes that I'm stalking him or have a "internet crush" on him. I merely like to tease certain users for better or worse but not once did my bans mention this as a reason.

My point is this: I need a clarification on this matter and want to know if there was any foul play going on during my past two bans. I'm.not trying to cause drama but I believe this thread was created to deal with issues such as this.
You do realise that Kagey K is Kagey Kojima for his full name, right?

Kagey K

Banned
Mods, Admins, I'd like to raise an issue regarding my previous ban. The reason I was given a ban was for "April Fools trolling" which I didn't know was a bannable offense since other users made April fools thread that day.

It's now come to my attention that a certain user has potentially been the reason as to why I received my previous ban. Please read this quote from the user:

I was a bit shocked to hear this and I see that this user believes that I'm stalking him or have a "internet crush" on him. I merely like to tease certain users for better or worse but not once did my bans mention this as a reason.

My point is this: I need a clarification on this matter and want to know if there was any foul play going on during my past two bans. I'm.not trying to cause drama but I believe this thread was created to deal with issues such as this.
Dude you directly @ me in one of your April Fools Day thread titles and were banned very shortly after.

For the record I didn’t even report you (I have only used that button twice), and had nothing to do with that ban. I was insinuating that maybe you should lay off and not call out people for their previous bans, as you did in the thread you pulled that quote from.

Bottom line is, I don’t find your “jokes” amusing so please stop @ me and we will be fine.

Last edited:
Dude you directly @ me in one of your April Fools Day thread titles and were banned very shortly after.

For the record I didn’t even report you (I have only used that button twice), and had nothing to do with that ban. I was insinuating that maybe you should lay off and not call out people for their previous bans, as you did in the thread you pulled that quote from.

Bottom line is, I don’t find your “jokes” amusing so please stop @ me and we will be fine.

Fair enough. I'll take your word for it and what I will suggest is we both put ignore to each other so we don't have to clash anymore. I think that's the only way to avoid any future conflict.

Solomeena

Banned
Question to mods:
When it becomes apparent that a member of the community refuses to engage with you in good faith and has started to habitually use the "upvote" mechanism to show 'triggered' when you interact in the same thread as them, how would this conduct be regarded?

It would be regarded as them being passive aggressive shitbags in normal society.

BraveOne

Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat are you actually asking got the Like and Reaction system to be moderated?

And that comment about wants to discuss in good faith is horse shit coming from you when you disregard everything i say to you with a copy and paste message.

Incidentally, you jumped in on a previous exchange and I was forced to detail why you are also not a credible person.
Let's not go down that road again. Please.

Well, they just did the same to EviLore EviLore when he reprimanded an ally of theirs.
#stunning&brave #truth2power #yaaaasqweeen

And WTF so what, the only reaction we can have to Evilore is a "Like". If that's the type of Forum you want www.resetera.com are taking recruits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom