• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
nush nush - The key here on the ban message is 'The usual '9TF' console warrior nonsense. [ ]....post is obviously meant to antagonise.'

captainraincoat captainraincoat can make their appeal of why they are dropping the '9TF' argument other console warriors are known to use, and have also been banned for. Without that qualifier the post is fine. With it, it's just there to antagonise people. If you can provide the confirmation that the console is in fact 9TF (by which we mean runs at a majority of the time at 9TF as per the insinuation) and not 10.28TF as detailed in the release materials, then we can roll back now. Until then the onus is on captainraincoat captainraincoat to provide that evidence via the appeal address. Or alternatively justify what the purpose of dropping that statement was. It should be relatively easily to clear up.

The bait comment was in response to baiting other posters (probably Playstation owners) to come in and go through the same cyclical argument of 9TF, it's not 9TF etc. We see no reason this is not the case here. It did not need to be mentioned to make the underlying point. But we are open to being convinced otherwise.

EDIT: In fact, I will lift the ban, I will message captainraincoat captainraincoat directly and delete the post. They have no priors so I'm sure they will be receptive to this action instead.

just logged on and wow....

Appreciate you guys looking at this as the comment itself was not meant to provoke or annoy people ... I was more addressing the flow of events but the 9tf part is obviously a sore point for many and I will do my part to not highlight that again as it provokes people (which was not intended) as I myself really do hate it when people start arguing about flops and ssd’s and ignore what the companies are doing for the gamers and games.

you guys obviously have a slightly harder time at the moment but please keep that level headed approach :)

Appreciate you guys looking at this as the comment itself was not meant to provoke or annoy people ... I was more addressing the flow of events but the 9tf part is obviously a sore point for many and I will do my part to not highlight that again as it provokes people (which was not intended) as I myself really do hate it when people start arguing about flops and ssd’s and ignore what the companies are doing for the gamers and games.

you guys obviously have a slightly harder time at the moment but please keep that level headed approach :)

Glad you’re back, bud. I was surprised to see your name on the list. Your main point seemed valid to me, the guy’s logic was flawed based on the timing of spec reveals. I saw way worse things posted yesterday that didn’t get reported, well as far as I know.

Last edited:
Glad you’re back, bud. I was surprised to see your name on the list. Your main point seemed valid to me, the guy’s logic was flawed based on the timing of spec reveals. I saw way worse things posted yesterday that didn’t get reported, well as far as I know.
Cheers
I agree that the context of the post could be taken as console wars as I tend to ignore the marketing and buzz words thrown around as they sound more like politicians than actual gamers and there is a lot of bending/skewering of the truth at the moment.

the mods have obviously been challenged as of late as the forum has tilted more towards hot takes and people have been engaging more in console warrior like behaviour

we all have a part to do and if that means I hold my tounge on some things to make it enjoyable for others to read or engage in conversation I’m happy to oblige and their warning has highlighted that

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member

It's always food for thought when we see otherwise clean posters, do something that is currently a meta for being banned. It is difficult to moderate, but certain comments/meta's are different just because of the scale of moderation that happens because of them (9TF, fanboi, xbot, pony, leak spoilers), so we tend to moderate those across the board in the same fashion. Unfortunately there will be cases where there is a crossover of some of the comments, otherwise decent posters and outlying circumstances. Like I said, we don't believe this was particularly malicious and know going forward you'll be more conscious of the meta until it eventually burns itself out :)

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
4tf should be able to do about 1/2 the resolution of the PS5.

Pretty good idea considering PS5/XSX are rumoured to be $449/499

I was pretty shocked I got banned for this.

The reason was "console waring"
Console waring is when somone will claim reasons why one console is better then the other, or will attempt to smear,insult or attack a particular platform.

The quoted post of mine simply does not do this, its not praiseing or putting down any platform, i said Lockhart should be able to do 1/2 the resolution of PS5 because it makes sense based on what we know, has this place gotten to the point where no hardware comparisons are allowed at all even if done in a way which is not putting any platform in a bad light?

If the moderation is biased towards sony, fair enough. I will leave, but it will be sad, I thought this place had turned a page.

nush

Console waring is when somone will claim reasons why one console is better then the other, or will attempt to smear,insult or attack a particular platform.

The quoted post of mine simply does not do this, its not praiseing or putting down any platform, i said Lockhart should be able to do 1/2 the resolution of PS5 because it makes sense based on what we know, has this place gotten to the point where no hardware comparisons are allowed at all even if done in a way which is not putting any platform in a bad light?

If the moderation is biased towards sony, fair enough. I will leave, but it will be sad, I thought this place had turned a page.

#obvioustagquote.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
That post reads like "ps5 is 8 teraflops" that sounds like warrioring to me.

Thats your interpretation.
Also i said "about" half the resolution.
Somtimes its best to stick to the words being said and there meanings, people can interpret things in many ways, it does not make it correct.

In fact if you look at the way resolution and tflops of the same architecture scale, you will see the correlation is not 1.1

This video does a good job showing this @21.36

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
iu

Kagey K

Banned
I have to admit I don’t understand the @yeeezy ban.

The post doesn’t seem banworthy unless its buried in the video.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member

Sosokrates Sosokrates you have four warnings, all issued in April of this year for console warring, two of which required specific acknowledgement for you to continue posting. You can share these with the community if you wish from your warnings page. Beyond those two, you were again warned for derailing threads for your reductive hot takes on the CU count. Beyond this you continued to ignore the warnings and like most trolls do, attempted to be more subtle and tried to obfuscate your console warring, by making indirect assertions instead.

This means your credibility and intentions are subject to a higher level of scrutiny, because you have evidenced multiple times that you are not posting in good faith or deliberately making incendiary comments that are designed to provoke others, to contest your unsubstantiated hot takes and eventually end in a derail. - whereby you report other users for calling you out This is why you have that tag. The moderation is not biased towards Sony, and it is usually the first thing trolls will bring up attempting to discredit the action. To that end, I believe your posting history is public, so the community can go through your activity and make their own mind up. Post like these, for example:

These are just instances where we have intervened. There are many, many more where we could have been more heavy handed. We had faith that you'd manage to grow out this phase, much like a teenager in an emo phase, but you haven't. So now we're insisting you grow up, for the good of the community. For clarity, right now you are on the edge. We have been patient and given you opportunities. Your posts will be of a much higher substance and quality going forward, or the next action will be to remove you entirely. Ignoring warnings, reply bans etc. leaves us little recourse. Your incredulity can probably be reigned back in at this point. Nevertheless, we shall expect some form of:

giphy.gif

I have to admit I don’t understand the @yeeezy ban.

The yeeeeezy ban I have just updated with 'Multiple' rather than that post. It looks as though their participation in that entire thread is what tippped the scales over the edge in confirmation they were a troll. There was action prior to this that isn't publicly visible involving PM's, reply bans etc. and there was a longstanding report running in which mods discussed and added evidence to the 'pile' for eventually making a decision. Sometimes the posts are meant for the banned rather than you guys, in order to say 'yea, this is where we said you were headed'.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Sosokrates Sosokrates you have four warnings, all issued in April of this year for console warring, two of which required specific acknowledgement for you to continue posting. You can share these with the community if you wish from your warnings page. Beyond those two, you were again warned for derailing threads for your reductive hot takes on the CU count. Beyond this you continued to ignore the warnings and like most trolls do, attempted to be more subtle and tried to obfuscate your console warring, by making indirect assertions instead.

This means your credibility and intentions are subject to a higher level of scrutiny, because you have evidenced multiple times that you are not posting in good faith or deliberately making incendiary comments that are designed to provoke others, to contest your unsubstantiated hot takes and eventually end in a derail. - whereby you report other users for calling you out This is why you have that tag. The moderation is not biased towards Sony, and it is usually the first thing trolls will bring up attempting to discredit the action. To that end, I believe your posting history is public, so the community can go through your activity and make their own mind up. Post like these, for example:

These are just instances where we have intervened. There are many, many more where we could have been more heavy handed. We had faith that you'd manage to grow out this phase, much like a teenager in an emo phase, but you haven't. So now we're insisting you grow up, for the good of the community. For clarity, right now you are on the edge. We have been patient and given you opportunities. Your posts will be of a much higher substance and quality going forward, or the next action will be to remove you entirely. Ignoring warnings, reply bans etc. leaves us little recourse. Your incredulity can probably be reigned back in at this point. Nevertheless, we shall expect soem form of:

giphy.gif

The yeeeeezy ban I have just updated with 'Multiple' rather than that post. It looks as though their participation in that entire thread is what tippped the scales over the edge in confirmation they were a troll. There was action prior to this that isn't publicly visible involving PM's, reply bans etc. and there was a longstanding report running for a week in which mods discussed and added evidence to the 'pile' for eventually making a decision. Sometimes the posts are meant for the banned rather than you guys, in order to say 'yea, this is where we said you were headed'.
That is above and beyond as far as I’m concerned. Thanks for the reply.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is the best mental image I’ve had all year.

[Multiple] You were warned. Watching you try to be a troll is like watching a bear trying to light a match on a bar of soap. You are awful at trolling and we have had many a laugh at the efforts. We gave you a window to do your best. Enough is enough.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kagey K

Banned
We rib each other here. It's what people do when they're grown-ups, hell me and Papa Papa call each other cunts regularly as a form of flirting. Being offended is a choice.
If you two would just hump and get it over with the forum would be a better place.

Do it for the team, and bring Yoshi Yoshi with you.

Last edited:
While I definitely agree, I said fans, not fanboys though. There is a substantial difference between the two that a lot people can't seem to comprehend.

I know the difference quite well after being in N4G for a long time and participating in IGN system wars.

But I'm just saying that fanboys make fans look like and they don't even have to be supporting different systems.

Also suggesting that MHK is doing this during his requested ban from N4G because his mother is sick is a little much in my opinion. Even if it was a joke I don't find it funny.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I know the difference quite well after being in N4G for a long time and participating in IGN system wars.

But I'm just saying that fanboys make fans look like and they don't even have to be supporting different systems.

Also suggesting that MHK is doing this during his requested ban from N4G because his mother is sick is a little much in my opinion. Even if it was a joke I don't find it funny.
Oh shit I'm sorry, I didn't know you were retarded.

I was clearly being facetious in suggesting it was MHK, so go clutch your pearls over some other subject.

Last edited:
Oh shit I'm sorry, I didn't know you were retarded.

I was clearly being facetious in suggesting it was MHK, so go clutch your pearls over some other subject.

I'm not mentally retarded but I am taking care of my brother who has cerebral paralysis. I know what it's like to take care of someone with abnormal brain growth.

Next time lay off insults like that especially since you don't know what it's like to be with people like that.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I might be stupid but where are the ban messages or ban posts?

Scroll the to bottom of the page. You should see it next to "Staff" and "Help" under the name of "Bans". Click on that and you should have a visible list of all current bans, links (where appropriate) and their corresponding messages.

Jtibh

Banned
I
Scroll the to bottom of the page. You should see it next to "Staff" and "Help" under the name of "Bans". Click on that and you should have a visible list of all current bans, links (where appropriate) and their corresponding messages.
I never knew. Thank you.

Man i cant believe miyazaki keeps getting banned. He is such a sucker for that haha

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This is the best mental image I’ve had all year.

[Multiple] You were warned. Watching you try to be a troll is like watching a bear trying to light a match on a bar of soap. You are awful at trolling and we have had many a laugh at the efforts. We gave you a window to do your best. Enough is enough.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I just saw that this morning. it doesn't make a lot of sense and I think that's what makes it so damn funny.

I have a question for you Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights do we know whether the latest pack of alts is from Meirl and his large circle of imaginary friends or are they new lunatics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom