• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Mog

How confident are you that the footage you are consuming isn't influenced by a selection bias, either self generated, or generated by others or an internet algorithm designed for emotional engagement?

Yes, in the capitol there was footage of people mostly milling about, but there's also footage of trespassing on restricted land, theft, and murder.

Yes, in the summer riots there is footage of hostile takeovers, theft, vandalism, and murder, but there is also footage of people speaking their mind without violence and just holding up signs and shouting.

Are you getting complete pictures of both scenarios via the pathways in which you consume information, or can they be flawed too?

The overall point I'm trying to make is that you can see these events through the lens of overall damage numbers or deaths, or implications. There's many ways to analyze this. Yes, the summer riots have a higher body count and more monetary damage, but that's because there was more of them. By contrast, the capitol incident was an attack on the fundamental institutions that are the bedrock of our entire country, both in law and in physical space.

If an attack like that was able to fester as much as a whole summer, what would you make of the comparison then?
I was the first person on GAF to condemn the capitol attack (i made the thread) so don't try to make it look like I'm lessening it in any way and it's not about comparisons, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the democrats and the media who championed terrorists all summer and only now choose to condemn them. Terrorists should ALWAYS be condemned period.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I was the first person on GAF to condemn the capitol attack (i made the thread) so don't try to make it look like I'm lessening it in any way
That's not my intention. I'm just asking you to asses your sources of information and to think about what external factors can be potentially influencing you and what information you consume.

it's not about caparisons, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the democrats and the media who championed terrorists all summer and only now choose to condemn them. Terrorists should ALWAYS be condemned period.
The comparisons are relevant if we want to learn anything constructive about this past year. Hypocrisy is a legitimate criticism, but it can't be the end all be all defense as that does nothing to solve the problem.

I find it funny, how many of you still don't understand how crazy it is what actually happened there probably just because the funny bearded people from Duck Dynasty and The Dukes of Hazard were involved and how could they do no good.
I've seen a lot your posts on this subject and I'm surprised how surprised you sound.

We knew it was coming, the only bit that's surprising is how 'calm' it was. I expected it to be much, much worse. I'm glad it wasn't but America should count their lucky stars (and stripes) that this wasn't a full blown shoot out.

Ornlu

Banned
The comparisons are relevant if we want to learn anything constructive about this past year. Hypocrisy is a legitimate criticism, but it can't be the end all be all defense as that does nothing to solve the problem.

On the contrary; I think it is the crux of all of this madness lies squarely in the slippery slope of partisan violence becoming more and more acceptable, especially when the violence comes from the "left". Until that is beaten into the heads of everyone (politicians, pundits, the public), this type of thing is only going to get worse. Of course rational people are going to see this latest event as a continuation of what has come before.

Rightly pointing out the hypocrisy that is consuming our society is absolutely necessary. If that can't be done, there won't be any de-escalation.

I personally think it's a bit moot and we're well beyond the point of possible de-escalation, but as a father I would absolutely love to be wrong in that regard.

I've seen a lot your posts on this subject and I'm surprised how surprised you sound.
I guess that experience with attacks on our Reichstag by the Nazis back in the day still ring up to this day and this is a big no no here.

We had the whole country under shock by some right wing people standing on the stairs of that building and waving their flags a couple of months ago.

Maybe it's a different way to view these things because of our history, but we don't take a democratic parliament being under attack by anyone lightly here.

We knew it was coming, the only bit that's surprising is how 'calm' it was. I expected it to be much, much worse. I'm glad it wasn't but America should count their lucky stars (and stripes) that this wasn't a full blown shoot out.
If this is the truth, then I don't understand why the security was so underequipped that day.

Stouffers

Banned
Well, TBF, insurrection is pretty unfamiliar ground in the US. For the clear-cut individuals involved, punishment needs to be swift and severe to tamp down further , probably more costly, uprisings.

Papa

Banned
I'm just glad I don't have scroll past any more 1000 word "death cult" rants. But yeah there was too much nasty stuff flung at gay/trans people by a small number of posters for a while (calling them freaks/degenerates/etc.).

Like Geki-D, you need to provide receipts if you want to make claims like this. Otherwise, all you’re doing is rewriting history and giving returning crybullies like Meicyn Meicyn ammunition. We’ve seen this slimy tactic again and again in recent years: make broad brush collectivist aspersions so that you can play the victim and score social points in your sewing circle. Calling gays freaks/degenerates has always been bannable. Back up your claims or get lost.

I guess that experience with attacks on our Reichstag by the Nazis back in the day still ring up to this day and this is a big no no here.

We had the whole country under shock by some right wing people standing on the stairs of that building and waving their flags a couple of months ago.

Maybe it's a different way to view these things because of our history, but we don't take a democratic parliament being under attack by anyone lightly here.

If this is the truth, then I don't understand why the security was so underequipped that day.
IMO, I wouldn't call the security underequipped, I would say they were prepared and, apart from Rambo shooting some woman, acted exactly how they should have done.

Letting them in to Mill around was the best outcome tbh. Putting up a resistance (armed resistance) could have turned it in to a bloodbath, very, very quickly.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Honestly, he became WAY too anti-trans for me. Like it was an unhealthy obsession you would swear a trans person killed his mother or something. His post started to make me uncomfortable after a while.

I think this coupled with him writing small novels in the Era thread made me feel like maybe GAF or even the internet as a whole wasn’t doing much good for his mental health.

But there is definitely an element of transgender internet culture that couples toxic activism and speech authoritarianism all built on the shifting sands of ever changing academic concepts of sex and gender. It’s supremely important to me that everyone strives to separate all that mess from regular people trying to live their lives the best way they know how. I think Phonepunk lost sight of that more often than not.

So I don't have any messages about it or anything, but the politics forum is just, gone for me now. Does that mean I got banned for my posts there last night? I know I was going a little hard, I'm sick of lies about the president. Or was it mentioning China that put it over the line? Is this a permanent ban?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So I don't have any messages about it or anything, but the politics forum is just, gone for me now. Does that mean I got banned for my posts there last night? I know I was going a little hard, I'm sick of lies about the president. Or was it mentioning China that put it over the line? Is this a permanent ban?
Removed from Politics for pushing the stolen election talk, per the guidelines sticky. You still have access to the rest of the forum.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Like Geki-D, you need to provide receipts if you want to make claims like this. Otherwise, all you’re doing is rewriting history and giving returning crybullies like Meicyn Meicyn ammunition. We’ve seen this slimy tactic again and again in recent years: make broad brush collectivist aspersions so that you can play the victim and score social points in your sewing circle. Calling gays freaks/degenerates has always been bannable. Back up your claims or get lost.
What’d I do to earn this achievement? Did I unknowingly touch your virtual genitalia?

Removed from Politics for pushing the stolen election talk, per the guidelines sticky. You still have access to the rest of the forum.

I'll admit I didn't read the sticky, but really we can't even talk about that anymore? I mean that's not like a fringe conspiracy theory. Over 100 House Representatives voted against certification until an audit is completed. There's even a Supreme Court case about it for Wisconsin that they are actually going to adjudicate. So I don't see how there is a total blackout on the topic.

Am I permanently removed? I'd like to at least be able to read things there even if I can't post.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I'll admit I didn't read the sticky, but really we can't even talk about that anymore? I mean that's not like a fringe conspiracy theory. Over 100 House Representatives voted against certification until an audit is completed. There's even a Supreme Court case about it for Wisconsin that they are actually going to adjudicate. So I don't see how there is a total blackout on the topic.

Am I permanently removed? I'd like to at least be able to read things there even if I can't post.
With places like parlor being given the boot, it's just wise to take precautions during these turbulent times

V4skunk

Banned
Lol what are the politics bans about?
I haven't posted in there for ages and now I'm blocked 🐸
The autismo schizo in me still believes Trump isn't consneeding on the 20th though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Horrific incident, definitely. Didn’t alter the landscape of the country though. Prompted legislation against a specific type of bump stocks. But binary triggers and other alternatives still exist for faux full-auto.

The Pulse nightclub massacre didn’t reshape the country either. Or the Boston bombing. Or El Paso.

The attack on the Capitol has prompted over 100 arrests for domestic terrorism, a nationwide FBI domestic terror investigation, a major social media platform has been permanently nuked, the POTUS has been impeached and silenced from social media, three Cabinet members resigned, and the shockwave will continue expanding. Glenn Greenwald has expressed concerns that this will prompt a second War on Terror that erodes freedoms, similar to the post-9/11 world.
irc the government cares more about itself, its institutions than civilians. :/

Had forgotten about the nightclub massacre as well :/

Last edited by a moderator:

nikolino840

Horrific incident, definitely. Didn’t alter the landscape of the country though. Prompted legislation against a specific type of bump stocks. But binary triggers and other alternatives still exist for faux full-auto.

The Pulse nightclub massacre didn’t reshape the country either. Or the Boston bombing. Or El Paso.

The attack on the Capitol has prompted over 100 arrests for domestic terrorism, a nationwide FBI domestic terror investigation, a major social media platform has been permanently nuked, the POTUS has been impeached and silenced from social media, three Cabinet members resigned, and the shockwave will continue expanding. Glenn Greenwald has expressed concerns that this will prompt a second War on Terror that erodes freedoms, similar to the post-9/11 world.
What about the wounded knee occupation?

kretos

Banned
Texas Pride Texas Pride Jan 15, 2021PermanentMeltdown in PMs after removal from Politics forum.

screenshots please

5509785be92b9823da16a6f50a19490d.gif

Did an insurrection not bring the US into this world?
There is a difference in an insurrection that aims to overthrow an existing government and citizens getting the fuck out of Britain to start their own country. Then Britain comes back in and says no we actually want to colonize you because we are more powerful. Then Americans said fuck you and your tea tax.
November-Horo-12.gif

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
I know it looks crazy, all of these bannings that’s being dished out but considering the atmosphere and the unfortunate demise of Parler(Not a fan of the hate speech but it was a good alternative place for Twitter/FB, etc), our glorious leader EviLore EviLore is playing it smart.

On another note, I’m curious who hosts 4chan’s servers which houses probably the most toxic(but on occasion you can find something worth reading) place on the Internet in /pol/, I’m just kind of shocked they haven’t been nuked.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I know it looks crazy, all of these bannings that’s being dished out but considering the atmosphere and the unfortunate demise of Parler(Not a fan of the hate speech but it was a good alternative place for Twitter/FB, etc), our glorious leader EviLore EviLore is playing it smart.

On another note, I’m curious who hosts 4chan’s servers which houses probably the most toxic(but on occasion you can find something worth reading) place on the Internet in /pol/, I’m just kind of shocked they haven’t been nuked.
Cloudflare.

It's on the ban page. He lost his cool and went off on someone over something. I think this whole Covid thing is sending people over the edge.
I know he’s autistic but I didn’t realise how much of a loon he was until recently. He was praising the people who stormed the capitol as patriots.

seems abit cringe a non-America on the other side of the planet praising nut jobs as patriots if you ask me.

John2290

Hey @Evillore May I have permissions for the politics forum again. I apologize for my criticism of the handling the hole thing after the 6th and my hyperbole, truly. I was a little drunk that night and I no it's no excuse but I promise I'll stay civil and milktoast as I usually am, I barely post in it anyway and if I do screw up again, I wouldn't be angry if you banned my account off, of the site entirely. I feel so left out of the loop and would really appreciate not having to fall into some of the more divided and biased political forums on the net. When I first got the ability to enter the politics forum here it was a God send and allowed me to avoid Twitter and MSM among other things more often, I hope one mistake isn't enough to ruin that. Reinstated or not, i'm sorry for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom