• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi We'll be releasing a full moderation handbook shortly to coincide with a forum restructure. The bulk is already written and sitting in the mod forums being adjusted and having amendments tabled by other mods. We have a good feeling of where GAF is now and have taken the data we have and extrapolated that into a moderation workflow. As a result we may move the forum structure ahead of the design.

On of the problems when formalising is the underlying foundation needs to be there. You can't drive people into a workflow when the supports don't work. So we've been hard at work putting these pieces together that *should* make the forum experience more cohesive and enjoyable. As a result there will be varying levels of tolerance depending on what and where things are posted.

Unfortunately XF only allows ban by day. However, we hope to be able to implement some finer controls like forum bans in which we can manually lift them after say an hour or so. Watch this space, not long now!
Thank you for the reply. I'm not familiar with XF but I figured I'd ask if such a thing was possible (since, technically speaking, it is possible depending on what's including in your forum software suite, or whatever plugins you've slapped on top of that).

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
The upper part was mild sarcasm, the bottom part was frustration on the contents of the OP. That being said it was the wrong topic at the wrong time and without properly knowing what was going on to make that kind of commentary (Let alone that its not allowed to reference it like that.)

I will be writing EviLore EviLore a proper private apology after the weekend as this has had more implications than i wished for, and it only serves right to make a proper apology in the first place. It's also why i have tagged him in this post, so that atleast Tyler is aware that such a PM is expecting.

I'm pretty sure they know that. I think the point is that you aren't supposed to make comments regarding Era outside of the community thread. And you have to admit he has done it a fair few times now. At least it's not a very long ban though.
For the bolded: I was geniunely unaware of this, I was under the impression (But clearly i was mistaken) that most of my references were in the appropiate thread, outside the aforementioned post. Like i said, it was crapshoot commentary on my end, and not the way i usually respond. As such, the sentence was served accordingly.

the little helper thing was getting pretty ridiculous, maybe it's just me.
I understand the likes you were given for this, but i do want to stress that i made that moniker for a reason. How other people use actual usernames or not is none of my concern and i won't be commenting on them for doing so. I simply choose to use a generic moniker to denote that i am referring to a group of individuals, and not someone in particular.

PS: I wanted my first post since the unban to be a clarification instead of just posting here like nothing happened. I hope this is appreciated by those affected.

Papa

Banned
The upper part was mild sarcasm, the bottom part was frustration on the contents of the OP. That being said it was the wrong topic at the wrong time and without properly knowing what was going on to make that kind of commentary (Let alone that its not allowed to reference it like that.)

I will be writing EviLore EviLore a proper private apology after the weekend as this has had more implications than i wished for, and it only serves right to make a proper apology in the first place. It's also why i have tagged him in this post, so that atleast Tyler is aware that such a PM is expecting.

For the bolded: I was geniunely unaware of this, I was under the impression (But clearly i was mistaken) that most of my references were in the appropiate thread, outside the aforementioned post. Like i said, it was crapshoot commentary on my end, and not the way i usually respond. As such, the sentence was served accordingly.

I understand the likes you were given for this, but i do want to stress that i made that moniker for a reason. How other people use actual usernames or not is none of my concern and i won't be commenting on them for doing so. I simply choose to use a generic moniker to denote that i am referring to a group of individuals, and not someone in particular.

PS: I wanted my first post since the unban to be a clarification instead of just posting here like nothing happened. I hope this is appreciated by those affected.

You don’t need to write him a personal apology haha. Come on dude, it’s not a big deal, let’s move on from it.

Redneckerz

You don’t need to write him a personal apology haha. Come on dude, it’s not a big deal, let’s move on from it.
Given that this ban has had more implications behind-the-scenes than just my absence from the site, i deem this needed, atleast from my point of view. I just wanted to address this and tag Tyler in it so that he is aware that such a PM is expecting

Tesseract

Banned

it's w/e dude, don't put too much emphasis on likes. i understand why you made the moniker, i personally got nothing against it.

Redneckerz

it's w/e dude, don't put too much emphasis on likes. i understand why you made the moniker, i personally got nothing against it.
Heh, i dont put much importance on them, i just wanted to explain the situation and that i understood why you got those likes. :lollipop_winking:

hecatomb

Banned
Kind of interesting that gaf even allows politics and religion debates on here, many forum sites will just ban users who even bring up these subjects.

Redneckerz

Since this thread is also about Ban Justice, may i present Herzogzwei1989: https://www.neogaf.com/members/herzogzwei1989.82141/

I have no idea why this user was banned, but, throughout my years of finding the obscure, his name constantly pops up as a user who is equally a fan of the Obscure Extraordinaire. This is also seen in his GAF posts where said user always had those extra details. He reminds me of a guy called Megadrive1988 (Who might be one and the same, but on a different forum). I know the user has not posted since July 2012, but perhaps, he can be brought back. I always liked reading his details on things most would not glance at.

But perhaps he was banned for righteous reasons. In any case, i bring forth this Cold Case to Judge Evilore. (I so wish we had a proper Judge Judy gif for this. Tyler, if you ever happen to have a contact with someone working in theatre, please recreate such a scene just for this thread, lol)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Since this thread is also about Ban Justice, may i present Herzogzwei1989: https://www.neogaf.com/members/herzogzwei1989.82141/

I have no idea why this user was banned, but, throughout my years of finding the obscure, his name constantly pops up as a user who is equally a fan of the Obscure Extraordinaire. This is also seen in his GAF posts where said user always had those extra details. He reminds me of a guy called Megadrive1988 (Who might be one and the same, but on a different forum). I know the user has not posted since July 2012, but perhaps, he can be brought back. I always liked reading his details on things most would not glance at.

But perhaps he was banned for righteous reasons. In any case, i bring forth this Cold Case to Judge Evilore. (I so wish we had a proper Judge Judy gif for this. Tyler, if you ever happen to have a contact with someone working in theatre, please recreate such a scene just for this thread, lol)

Looks like it was for some heavy duty console warrioring, and several instances of throwing around these Zelda gifs:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gi-b...0-developers-say.468841/page-23#post-36600065

Not seeing much beyond that sort of thing in their post history and the ban appears justified. If they want to make a direct appeal via email though that would be evaluated separately.

Kagey K

Banned
Looks like it was for some heavy duty console warrioring, and several instances of throwing around these Zelda gifs:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gi-b...0-developers-say.468841/page-23#post-36600065

Not seeing much beyond that sort of thing in their post history and the ban appears justified. If they want to make a direct appeal via email though that would be evaluated separately.

It must take an amazing amount of your time to sift through those emails, and I appreciate you for doing it. Hopefully those that want to come back take the time to write out a well thought email and don’t just waste your time.

I really think it’s great what you are doing in order to try to foster the community.

Redneckerz

Right, that was the only thing i expected out of his style of posting that would get him flagged. And sadly that's the case :goog_neutral: A shame though, outside of that bullshit console warring his content was pretty darn amazing and a right fit for what would make GAF stand out from the rest. But yes, that stuff is a rightful cause for banning.

Thank you Tyler for taking your time assessing this case, above and all one of the great ideas and initatives to carry this community to a new phase. Again, thank you. :goog_smile:

He forgot an r. He wants laramie unbanned.

Laramie is already unbanned... Earlier in this thread I asked EviLore EviLore to review his ban as I thought it was unjust at the time. He had a look and realised it was some Dragona abuse of power nonsense and unbanned him.

That's why I'm confused by what he means, I might be just misunderstanding his comment.

@EvilLore Whoa!

Because I had moved and changed ISPs, the email address linked to my account was no longer valid. I did not get the notification and did not see that the ban had been overturned until today. Turns out I was in the first wave.

I am going to be honest-- after I was banned by bishoptl, I stopped coming to neogaf. I wasn't lurking the forum. I didn't create a new account. I simply stopped going. I started using Reddit and other such websites instead. Even though my ban was only temporary and after 30 days I could have come back, I didn't want to. It was more about the principle of supporting an entity which would treat me so unfairly. No thanks.

EvilLore, I want to thank you for your serious and hardworking efforts to make good on previous mistakes. Because of this, I will be back from now on.

Below I am attaching an email which I sent to NeoGAF on November 14, 2016. The email was never replied to; however, I think it best describes the state of GAF at that time.

Hello NeoGAF,

My account on GAF is KoolAidPitcher. I made a perfectly reasonable post, and was banned for it.

The moderator, bishoptl banned me.

First off, I was not whining. I was expressing a mature, peaceful, dissenting opinion against censorship in video games which is an extremely important topic of discussion. People may not agree with me; however, I believe that reasonable discourse on this topic is required. Being one of the newer forms of media, games are often misunderstood; however, it is my belief that the creators of games should be awarded the same inalienable rights as authors of books, directors of movies, and musicians. Freedom of speech was designed not to protect speech which is popular, but rather to protect speech which is unpopular. Popular speech due to its very nature needs no protection.

I have not followed gamergate closely; however, as I understand it, gamergate is a multitude of different topics which have little to do with each other but have been grouped together under a single umbrella involving censorship in videogames. I know that there has been serious harassment on both sides of gamergate, and I think that is abhorrent; however, there is legitimate concern on both sides, and as a libertarian, I tend to err on the side of freedom of speech. I find it even more ironic that I was banned for defending what I believe is censorship in video games-- and apparently also on forums about video games. In a way, my banning is only confirmation that the censorship is real.

I am writing this letter to your support to let you know how disappointed I am. I have browsed and participated on your forums for years, and GAF has been a large part of my participation in gaming culture. Even if I were to be unbanned at some point in the future, I am not sure I will be ready to return to GAF anytime soon as this has tarnished my experience with your community. I feel as I am a perfectly reasonable person who has done nothing wrong and has been treated very unfairly. Yes, my feelings are hurt.

I understand that NeoGAF is a private website and you can choose who to ban and for no reason whatsoever; however, I think the amount of, and reasons for banning lately has become ridiculous. A lot of good members have been banned-- people who's posts I enjoyed, even if I didn't agree with them. Civil disagreement with one another is what is great about discussion, and without disagreement, there is no discussion.

If you read this far, thank you, and I hope you will reconsider your policies on banning members in the future.

Last edited:

Dunki

Since it has been a few Month I was asked to unban KevinKeene. I think he deeply regrets it and he also promised to not talk about pedophilia ever again. Personally I think he deserves a last chance since he also had a more similar opinion about this topic than I do. Or better we in Germany are talking differently about this topic. Not that it is allowed but rather to treat it as a mental illness and that people actually need help instead of treating them like Monster. And I never got even a warning for it.

I know you guys made a decision already but maybe something has changed with more time between.

Redneckerz

Epic necrobump you have there...
On a topic as influential and important as this, is that really such a crime? There are far worse threads that get necroed aswell which have far little incentive to be bumped.

Agreed mi hombre
Then lets do this :)

Not really. Last post was only 6 weeks ago. This thread should be stickied imo. It's a great example of the new transparency and forgiving attitude of NeoNeoGAF.
Calling upon Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights to sticky this thread. More people should know of this and bring back those members lost to the OldGAF cullings.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I do not quite understand why T TayTay was banned, going off her post history. She posts largely on identity politics, but it is on topic and the tone does not appear to be overly aggressive. She appears very involved emotionally, but I couldn't find any posts where I would say "well, clearly, this should lead to a ban".

Beard of the Forest

The No. 1 cause of forest fires is trees.
I do not quite understand why T TayTay was banned, going off her post history. She posts largely on identity politics, but it is on topic and the tone does not appear to be overly aggressive. She appears very involved emotionally, but I couldn't find any posts where I would say "well, clearly, this should lead to a ban".

That's a temporary ban that will be lifted in a few days. The ban justice project is for reinstating permed accounts that fell victim to corrupt/overzealous mods in the past.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's a temporary ban that will be lifted in a few days. The ban justice project is for reinstating permed accounts that fell victim to corrupt/overzealous mods in the past.
Oh sorry, could you then maybe move it to the proper thread for such requests?

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Just getting this thread back up in visibility as there are a few more eyeballs on the site lately.

If you've been previously banned unjustly, please reach out and we'll see if we can get you your old account back.

Michele

you.
Just getting this thread back up in visibility as there are a few more eyeballs on the site lately.

If you've been previously banned unjustly, please reach out and we'll see if we can get you your old account back.

That's good and nice after all of that, but my suggestion would be to sticky this thread, so it doesn't get lost.

You don't have to take my suggestion, but I was just giving a tip. Nice work, anyways.

Darth

Thanks for re-instating me.

"The ex-mod who banned you was sacked in 2016 for grievous abuse of power. "

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Thanks for re-instating me.

"The ex-mod who banned you was sacked in 2016 for grievous abuse of power. "
IOUcD2Q.png

onken

Crazy to read about. I mostly lurked over at Era for a while, just because of the higher activity but I do find myself coming back here more and more lately. The screaming hysteria about certain topics is just out of control. The amount of bans I've seen handed out for "dismissing concerns about x" for incredibly benign posts blows my mind. I'm legit amazed they have anyone left to ban..

iPaul93

I just finished reading this thread and man, I can't believe what the mods did to this site.I never understood the uproar and why everyone started requesting bans back then, but I guess that's what happens when you're brainwashed.

P.S I also got banned an year, maybe 2 ago by one of those "wonderful" mods but I can't seem to find the post anymore.Maybe a mod can link it or pm me if he has the time.

Last edited:

isual

hello, i just wanted to apologize for my behavior when i was banned back as isual. i was on resetera and got permmed because of opinions that didn't go with the site's moderators, so i have had a bad experience there. i am hoping that after years of being off here and growing i can be admitted again with a new outlook.

i was wondering if someone can help unban me and merge this account of mine? thank you very much.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108306798&postcount=379

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
hello, i just wanted to apologize for my behavior when i was banned back as isual. i was on resetera and got permmed because of opinions that didn't go with the site's moderators, so i have had a bad experience there. i am hoping that after years of being off here and growing i can be admitted again with a new outlook.

i was wondering if someone can help unban me and merge this account of mine? thank you very much.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108306798&postcount=379

PM EviLore EviLore so he sees your request.

dorkimoe

Thanks to EvilLore for reinstating me the other day. Mine was banned a little before the great ban wave, but definitely felt it was unwarranted. I hope others find their way back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom