• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
a console warrior
Good enough reason. There's been a lot of those idiots banned lately. Maybe instead of complaining about hiveminds they stop poking them with sticks. Just keep away from those threads and let them buzz around in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa

Banned
As opposed to typing n***** on an internet gaming forum and hitting post?

Big brain mode tonight Scopes?

Clearly the point I’m making is that Arcadia was attempting to make a point about considering the meaning of words in the appropriate context, not just being on the lookout for trigger words. George Carlin has done exactly the same thing before. Whether it was on stage for money or on an Internet forum is irrelevant to the point.

That said, I don’t care if GAF wants to set a standard and disallow it here. It’s only a 2 day ban anyway. Not my hill etc.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Big brain mode tonight Scopes?

Clearly the point I’m making is that Arcadia was attempting to make a point about considering the meaning of words in the appropriate context, not just being on the lookout for trigger words. George Carlin has done exactly the same thing before. Whether it was on stage for money or on an Internet forum is irrelevant to the point.

That said, I don’t care if GAF wants to set a standard and disallow it here. It’s only a 2 day ban anyway. Not my hill etc.
I’m a certified genius, so I guess I’m always big brain mode?

I just don’t think it’s necessary to type it out, even to get a point across. There are ways around it.

And yeah, I don’t think the Carlin reference is apt in this case.

Papa

Banned
I’m a certified genius, so I guess I’m always big brain mode?

I just don’t think it’s necessary to type it out, even to get a point across. There are ways around it.

And yeah, I don’t think the Carlin reference is apt in this case.

Of course it is. They were making the same point, albeit in different arenas. Not gonna cry over this ban though. Different audience.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think the forum possibly would have to protect itself from hosting and ISP deplatforming, since they don’t look into the context of how those words are used.

The mod seemed to understand the context, from the ban message.

Dane

Why TLW got banned? We all know he was a Sony fanboy always attemping to downsay anything that Xbox did right/better, but how it happened? I don't even recall going offensive on others.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Why TLW got banned? We all know he was a Sony fanboy always attemping to downsay anything that Xbox did right/better, but how it happened? I don't even recall going offensive on others.
His shtick is to incite console wars by posting just enough bullshit without crossing the line and insulting people, but eventually it adds up and the mods have no choice but to take action.

Last edited:
His shtick is to incite console wars by just enough bullshit without crossing the line and insulting people, but eventually it adds up and the mods have no choice but to take action.

Honestly to me, without the moderators answering why, I'm going to assume it's to appease the people triggered hardcore by his posts and not because his actual post content is bannable. We have plenty of drive-by shitposters who are console warriors but TLW putting together long, thought out arguments triggers people hard when he's biased as well, I've seen the same phenomena on many a forum, the smarter you are the more of a danger you are for holding your viewpoints and the more angry people get. I'd rather have him here because it beats people just entering threads saying "lol xbox is the suxorz"

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I feel pretty fairly treated, and left with a positive impression of the moderation team. My ban message (and if this isn’t allowed, let me know and I will edit — I’m not in a rush to go back in the slammer, hahaha) stated that they understood the point being made, but the language wasn’t acceptable.

Matt nailed my point, well besides “he”, but I get it every post now, so whatever, at least it keeps the creeps away : P , but that’s my perspective.

Gaf’s perspective, and I thought about this for a while, is probably that letting that kind of language stand, regardless of context, can have a massive amounts of bad effects, from advertising (I believe Google actually will pull ads based on content), to attracting people, and a raft of other problems. Just look at how much Gab has trouble keeping the lights on.

Should one site, that already has a tolerance even beyond 2000s message boards, suffer that much for one user, when they’re already doing so much? Over a word that was already a no-no back then? There comes a time to be thankful for what you have.

I stand by my point, but this was pretty understandable.

I feel pretty fairly treated, and left with a positive impression of the moderation team. My ban message (and if this isn’t allowed, let me know and I will edit — I’m not in a rush to go back in the slammer, hahaha) stated that they understood the point being made, but the language wasn’t acceptable.

Matt nailed my point, well besides “he”, but I get it every post now, so whatever, at least it keeps the creeps away : P , but that’s my perspective.

Gaf’s perspective, and I thought about this for a while, is probably that letting that kind of language stand, regardless of context, can have a massive amounts of bad effects, from advertising (I believe Google actually will pull ads based on content), to attracting people, and a raft of other problems. Just look at how much Gab has trouble keeping the lights on.

Should one site, that already has a tolerance even beyond 2000s message boards, suffer that much for one user, when they’re already doing so much? Over a word that was already a no-no back then? There comes a time to be thankful for what you have.

Welcome Back Home, -Arcadia- -Arcadia- :pie_hugging

What brap brap and I do is none of your business.
giphy.gif

brap

Banned

I'm glad you're back
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom