• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
So new page new start, good to See @AfroRepublican back, but why are you here? The politics section has low traffic please go over there and avoid any potential actions that may cause you problems. Yes, just ignore page 75 nothing but garbage there.

Cool. Everything is normal now guys nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Holgren

Why was crowbow banned? I know he can be annoying with him not knowing how to multiquote and his constant attacks to the US government, but he raises points that are valuable and reflect what many people from other countries think about US foreign policies. Even though his way of expressing himself is aggressive, most people at the politic subforum follow the same rethoric, with plenty of ad hominem attacks like: "I know your shtick, so I will just insult you". Contrary to these people, crowbow actually did stick to the topic.

I know he annoys many people, but he is a dissident voice that should stick around and makes the Politic subforum more interesting and valuable (definitely more than ad hominem attacks and gifs of dogs shitting on walls). Whatever the reason was for his ban, I hope it is not permanent.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Why was crowbow banned? I know he can be annoying with him not knowing how to multiquote and his constant attacks to the US government, but he raises points that are valuable and reflect what many people from other countries think about US foreign policies. Even though his way of expressing himself is aggressive, most people at the politic subforum follow the same rethoric, with plenty of ad hominem attacks like: "I know your shtick, so I will just insult you". Contrary to these people, crowbow actually did stick to the topic.

I know he annoys many people, but he is a dissident voice that should stick around and makes the Politic subforum more interesting and valuable (definitely more than ad hominem attacks and gifs of dogs shitting on walls). Whatever the reason was for his ban, I hope it is not permanent.

If I had to guess? Anything interesting that he has to say about historic American foreign policy, which even most Americans agree on, tends to be forced into messages that aren’t as agreeable, alongside, as you mentioned, extreme aggression.

Like for example, not that I’m drawing a comparison, but Hitler bad, right? Of course. Everybody agrees with that. But if I start critiquing modern German politics by bringing that up ad nauseam, and that Germany is always terrible, even when it doesn’t quite seem related to the situation at hand...

This is the impression I get from him. I haven’t studied him or anything, because I don’t care that much, so forgive me if I have anything wrong.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

He was previously banned for (check the ban list) and he did it again.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

I have no idea of his post history, so he may have very well deserved his ban, but going by the post he was banned for

Apparently it is too much mental effort for you guys to fathom how someone can be critical of the US shit foreign policy without defending Iran shooting down an airplane. That black and white "with us or against us" mentality promoted by Bush 20 years ago really is ingrained in your psyche. Truly ironic that you call me the uncritical thinker when you cant even acknowledge the facts of the shit foreign policy from your own country.

it does seem a bit harsh.

I myself have been on the end of a few dogpiles because there seems to be a subset of Americans who cannot handle any criticism of their government’s actions on the world stage and refuse to believe that the perception of it outside of their own borders is not exactly glowing.

His post above seems pretty harmless to me, he’s just expressing his opinion. But, like I said, I don’t know what preceded that post.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
His post above seems pretty harmless to me, he’s just expressing his opinion. But, like I said, I don’t know what preceded that post.
I agree, but I'm only going by the quoted post without looking at the rest of the thread.

He is lowkey calling other people stupid, but in a snarky way and not in a directly malicious manner. To my ear, it sounds par for the course for heated discourse in politics, but maybe my shit talking barometer isn't calibrated properly. It looks like he's trying to be nuanced in listing all shitty actions on both sides of the conflict in order to provide historical context that reaches further than the last 10 years.

But I could be biased because I agree that the USA has bad foreign policy.

Ornlu

Banned
I have no idea of his post history, so he may have very well deserved his ban, but going by the post he was banned for

I myself have been on the end of a few dogpiles because there seems to be a subset of Americans who cannot handle any criticism of their government’s actions on the world stage and refuse to believe that the perception of it outside of their own borders is not exactly glowing.

I agree, but I'm only going by the quoted post without looking at the rest of the thread.

He is lowkey calling other people stupid, but in a snarky way and not in a directly malicious manner. To my ear, it sounds par for the course for heated discourse in politics, but maybe my shit talking barometer isn't calibrated properly. It looks like he's trying to be nuanced in listing all shitty actions on both sides of the conflict in order to provide historical context that reaches further than the last 10 years.

But I could be biased because I agree that the USA has bad foreign policy.

And yet neither of you have been banned. It's almost as if someone's behavior earns them a ban, regardless of politics, religion, or ideology. :messenger_beermugs:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You guys haven’t been paying attention to clownbrow
I clearly stated as much. Just commenting on his ban post.

And yet neither of you have been banned. It's almost as if someone's behavior earns them a ban, regardless of politics, religion, or ideology. :messenger_beermugs:
Possibly. But, that particular post was harmlessly snarky with some home truths sprinkled on top.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I clearly stated as much. Just commenting on his ban post.

Possibly. But, that particular post was harmlessly snarky with some home truths sprinkled on top.

It’s one of those history of severe infractions cases. Dude has priors and was banned for doing the exact same thing he just returned from a ban for.

Whitesnake

Banned

He does this thing where he expresses a very strong opinion, which he then compartmentalizes into a single simple phrase, and he becomes unable to think of the topic at all beyond that simple phrase.

I remember having am argument with him about whether Columbus Day is racist, and he refused to try to expand on his thoughts further than “it’s celebrating genocide” and assorted variations of that phrase. He could not properly address even a single point I brought up, and would instead try his hardest to find reasons to dismiss my arguments out of hand, personally attack me, and simply repeat variations of “it’s celebrating genocide”.

I saw him behaving similarly in a recent thread where he was talking about “america isn’t the world police” and “america shouldn’t own the seas”, and he would again try to deflect all arguments by using those phrases and attempting to insult people.

I’ve yet to read through the thread that contains the post that got him banned, but it seems he was behaving similarly there too.

He very clearly has some sort of deranged hatred of the U.S. and he seems to have some kind of mental malfunction that renders him unable to exhibit any sort of critical-thinking.

This kind of behavior, while on its surface appearing not too bad, is awful for a forum. He’s unwilling to discuss anything, he simply wants to state his opinion, and then he tries to talk down to anyone who disagrees with that opinions. He consistently derails and shits up entire threads with this behavior.

That said, I’m not a mod. Maybe their logic for banning him is completely unrelated to what I just said, but in any case his absence seems like a net positive.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
He does this thing where he expresses a very strong opinion, which he then compartmentalizes into a single simple phrase, and he becomes unable to think of the topic at all beyond that simple phrase.

I remember having am argument with him about whether Columbus Day is racist, and he refused to try to expand on his thoughts further than “it’s celebrating genocide” and assorted variations of that phrase. He could not properly address even a single point I brought up, and would instead try his hardest to find reasons to dismiss my arguments out of hand, personally attack me, and simply repeat variations of “it’s celebrating genocide”.

I saw him behaving similarly in a recent thread where he was talking about “america isn’t the world police” and “america shouldn’t own the seas”, and he would again try to deflect all arguments by using those phrases and attempting to insult people.

I’ve yet to read through the thread that contains the post that got him banned, but it seems he was behaving similarly there too.

He very clearly has some sort of deranged hatred of the U.S. and he seems to have some kind of mental malfunction that renders him unable to exhibit any sort of critical-thinking.

This kind of behavior, while on its surface appearing not too bad, is awful for a forum. He’s unwilling to discuss anything, he simply wants to state his opinion, and then he tries to talk down to anyone who disagrees with that opinions. He consistently derails and shits up entire threads with this behavior.

That said, I’m not a mod. Maybe their logic for banning him is completely unrelated to what I just said, but in any case his absence seems like a net positive.
Fair enough.

Papa

Banned

This is how I see it too. The biggest problem is he starts at his conclusion and works backwards to try to make the pieces fit. He’s not open to discussion and is completely rigid in his views. Problem for him is we have some very intelligent and thoughtful posters who present him with counter-arguments supported by evidence and logic but he’s so irrationally stubborn and petulant that he just goes into meltdown deflection mode. This typically consists of belligerent and condescending c-c-c-combo breaker quadruple posts that add nothing to the discussion. From the ban messages, I gather that the petulance is wearing thin so it’s not so much an issue of what he says in any particular post but a pattern of behaviour. His go to lines when challenged are “your reading comprehension sucks” or “it’s too much mental effort for you” and it’s just tiresome at this point. I think makes some decent points on occasion but they’re so often wrapped up in insufferable cuntery.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
His go to lines when challenged are “your reading comprehension sucks” or “it’s too much mental effort for you” and it’s just tiresome at this point.
A lot of posters do this. Many of them don’t get banned.

Just saying. I have no connection with crowbrow and am certainly not going in to bat for him. Just pointing out the obvious.

Papa

Banned

Just saying. I have no connection with crowbrow and am certainly not going in to bat for him. Just pointing out the obvious.

Not with the same frequency and belligerence that he does.

You have no connection with him, but people who do are in this thread telling you what the problem is.

Costa Rican immigrant to Germany, I believe.

Corigerlish?

In my head, i always tone down what non-native English speakers say, because they often don't mean it. I've worked with many Polish over in the U.K. and how they phrase things can be seen as aggressive and attacking, but it's just how it translates.

Unless they're outright calling someone a cum-stained child-bumming pedophile, I think they should be given a bit of slack

I went toe-to-toe with crowbrow crowbrow a while back and quickly came to the realisation they are a bad faith poster. This doesn't make them noteworthy.
But they were given an enforced time-out after a particularly poor exchange elsewhere and the instant they came back they continued the same antics immediately.

My interpretation of their latest temp-ban is how promptly they repeated the bad-faith conduct that they had just been reprimanded for. No lessons were learned.

Papa

Banned
Corigerlish?

In my head, i always tone down what non-native English speakers say, because they often don't mean it. I've worked with many Polish over in the U.K. and how they phrase things can be seen as aggressive and attacking, but it's just how it translates.

Unless they're outright calling someone a cum-stained child-bumming pedophile, I think they should be given a bit of slack

I also try to focus on content over tone. I don't think that's the issue here.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Whitesnake and Matt’s assessments are accurate.

Crowbrow doesn’t let up. He derails threads around himself, regularly posts 4x in a row, and has nothing to say beyond rephrasing his one predetermined position endlessly. The mods warn him and reply ban him and fully ban him to zero effect.

It’s not about his views.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Well then clearly either your reading comprehension sucks or it’s too much mental effort for you.

I actually like Crowbrow even if I don't always agree with him. He's always been friendly with me so he's A-OK in my book

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

Crowbrow doesn’t let up. He derails threads around himself, regularly posts 4x in a row, and has nothing to say beyond rephrasing his one predetermined position endlessly. The mods warn him and reply ban him and fully ban him to zero effect.

Ok, sounds fair. Like I said, I don’t know his history, but that’s reasonable.

nush

Gold Member

As an example I've worked a lot in SE Asia and just as there are white Japan loving "nerds" there is also the local equivalent of English speaking asian nerds. Socially inept outcasts that get away with more shit in a second language because their own countrymen pick up and will call them out much quicker. Whereas foreigners wont be able to pick up on those cues and cut some slack because they are speaking second language.

I could pick up quickly on the white LBH people while I was there, the asian ones took a while longer but I got there soon enough. Over text on a message board it's of course magnitudes harder.

Thabass

Sounds like Crowbar has just been ignoring mod warnings and reply bans. As a mod, you need to police a little bit, and if you're constantly ignoring mod warnings you're gonna get banned. I have no doubt that Crowbar's views are fine, hell I even agree with some of them (though not about American's not criticizing our government, BELIEVE ME, we fucking do a lot).

I think it's more: you need a timeout and a chance to relax and re-evaluate how you post and respond. You can't always be so aggressive with your narrative, ignore warnings, and think you're invulnerable. Ban seems justified to me.

And honestly, I would have banned him for the spam replies in general.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
He was posting before brap was banned.
Really? I just noticed him for the first time yesterday.

EDIT: Everytime GAF seems to be experiencing an upsurge in activity, we get a wave of these oxygen wasters coming here (from not hard to guess where) to shitpost. Like clockwork.

Expect 2-3 long dormant accounts to suddenly “request” bans, too. We had one already. Always the same moves. God, these idiots are so dumb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom