• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
the-wire-goddamn-right-animated-gif.gif

Ornlu

Banned
Let's pour one out for Deso and Bootzilla. The concern trolling got too high; now they've gotta stick to alts for a few weeks.

:eek::poop:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Well hate to say it GaF but I think I am out..the shit posting going on in threads that I participate in is to the point it takes over entire threads and I was told by a mod to basically ignore the thread which isn't a good solution or even a solution. If that's the mentality we are going with then I just dont see the point in trying to participate in meaningful conversation when the mods don't have the community's back.

I thought about just putting on ad blocker for GaF until the problem is fixed but that really won't help anyone. I'd like to support Gaf and the good community here so I'd rather just take my leave instead of cutting ad revenue.

I have tried to express my issues and opinions on the matter to a mod and when I have presented them in a strong manner with plenty of evidence I get nothing in return and when I try to be more basic and forthcoming with an argument I get non answers and told to simply ignore it.

Maybe my goal of having good conversations with civil responses that come from passionate gamers who simply love the art form as their hobby is a pipedream for GaF and not the goal of the owners. Maybe that's on me? Not sure. But it's very clear that the negative part of the community will continue to grow and nothing is going to be done at this time.

Ill miss talking and dicking around with the good people here. And I'll miss making memes for the meme thread which is always A ton of good fun.

Maybe I'll be a lurker here and there but I'm done having my time and opinion disrespected by shit posters when I am being a civil and hard thinking member of the community.

To the people I have had good conversations with thank you for being you. Continue to game and continue to push the art form forward in a positive manner and I'm sorry I won't be a part of it.

(Tips hat)

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well hate to say it GaF but I think I am out..the shit posting going on in threads that I participate in is to the point it takes over entire threads and I was told by a mod to basically ignore the thread which isn't a good solution or even a solution. If that's the mentality we are going with then I just dont see the point in trying to participate in meaningful conversation when the mods don't have the community's back.

I thought about just putting on ad blocker for GaF until the problem is fixed but that really won't help anyone. I'd like to support Gaf and the good community here so I'd rather just take my leave instead of cutting ad revenue.

I have tried to express my issues and opinions on the matter to a mod and when I have presented them in a strong manner with plenty of evidence I get nothing in return and when I try to be more basic and forthcoming with an argument I get non answers and told to simply ignore it.

Maybe my goal of having good conversations with civil responses that come from passionate gamers who simply love the art form as their hobby is a pipedream for GaF and not the goal of the owners. Maybe that's on me? Not sure. But it's very clear that the negative part of the community will continue to grow and nothing is going to be done at this time.

Ill miss talking and dicking around with the good people here. And I'll miss making memes for the meme thread which is always A ton of good fun.

Maybe I'll be a lurker here and there but I'm done having my time and opinion disrespected by shit posters when I am being a civil and hard thinking member of the community.

To the people I have had good conversations with thank you for being you. Continue to game and continue to push the art form forward in a positive manner and I'm sorry I won't be a part of it.

(Tips hat)

Sounds more like you are pissy mods aren't banning people you dislike/disagree with. Are there trolls? Yes. Do mods deal with them? Yes. They just don't immediately perm people, they give them chances to grow/improve/change.

Papa

Banned
Sounds more like you are pissy mods aren't banning people you dislike/disagree with. Are there trolls? Yes. Do mods deal with them? Yes. They just don't immediately perm people, they give them chances to grow/improve/change.

Counter-trolling is the most effective way of dealing with them. Blow them up and let their peers judge them. Some just want to tattle to the teacher and have the higher authority do it for them though.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

(Tips hat)

It was this thread.

Look at that OP and tell me with the effort, or lack there of put into it, that is wasn’t a “honeypot” designed to get both sides to debate and go at it.

As long as people are not being nasty to one another, throwing around aggressive insults, they are allowed to debate. Especially when they have to flesh out the thread more than the OP bothered to.

What I do find fascinating, is that you report basically those who have contrarian or dissenting opinions about Microsoft or Xbox. Now that is not always a negative, just something for those who have preferences to be mindful of.

There are plenty of passionate fans on all sides. There are also shitposter and trolls. In fact, I can think of a few that are not unlike the person you have it out for in the camp you favor. Which conveniently gets overlooked and not reported. I can think of ones just as passionate that are very aggressive and borderline shilling but with a bad attitude, that are conveniently never reported or ignored.

That thread in question has come up countless times and will continue to come up for as long as there are pro and con feelings about the service. That one in particular though, was clearly a classic bait post. At least Voost and a few others put much more effort in their baited threads to gaslight conversation.

I advised that you ignore that particular thread, because we knew the intention behind it. It’s literally a “containment thread” in my eyes.

Hope you take a little break and reconsider since we are not letting it go no holds barred, and as things ramp up we will continue to moderate accordingly.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

You make a good point, and this is something we do. Even as a mod and this is speaking for myself, I too grow and adapt with this position. I know I don’t post much and I will improve on that, mainly a lurker type, but early on I would get frustrated and wanting to just pull the trigger on warnings or bans.

We handle things by listening to each other’s feedback just in case we may be perceiving something in a different light. That is also why there may be a bit of a delay before an action or lack there of is taken. The obvious things we just handle ourselves then and there when needed.

I’ve learned to adapt as well as trust in the vision everyone on the staff has for this community. There is going to be growing pains, but I like to believe that the community is taking a positive form in itself, especially not having the oppressive feeling of “walking on eggshells”. Our steady growth is speaking for itself.

There is always room for improvement and we do feel it’s important to not become complacent, but continue to strive for that goal. Always stay learning.

Any and all feedback is always welcome.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It was this thread.

Look at that OP and tell me with the effort, or lack there of put into it, that is wasn’t a “honeypot” designed to get both sides to debate and go at it.

As long as people are not being nasty to one another, throwing around aggressive insults, they are allowed to debate. Especially when they have to flesh out the thread more than the OP bothered to.

What I do find fascinating, is that you report basically those who have contrarian or dissenting opinions about Microsoft or Xbox.

There are plenty of passionate fans on all sides. There are also shitposter and trolls. In fact, I can think of a few that are not unlike the person you have it out for in the camp you favor. Which conveniently gets overlooked and not reported. I can think of ones just as passionate that are very aggressive and borderline shilling but with a bad attitude, that are conveniently never reported or ignored.

That thread in question has come up countless times and will continue to come up for as long as there are pro and con feelings about the service. That one in particular though, was clearly a classic bait post. At least Voost and a few others put much more effort in their baited threads to gaslight conversation.

I advised that you ignore that particular thread, because we knew the intention behind it. It’s literally a “containment thread” in my eyes.

Hope you take a little break and reconsider since we are not letting it go no holds barred, and as things ramp up we will continue to moderate accordingly.

The bold is 100 percent false and I do not appreciate it. I have reported many posts from both sides. Which is what I was told to do by the very mods on this site.

The thread in particular you have linked is only one of many that have driven me to make the decision to stop posting in gaming discussion. So singling it out doesn't make sense.

I 100 percent lean Xbox and I have stated that as well, but I never use shit posting, trolling, or passive aggressiveness to get my opinion across. Have I made gif comments as a joke? Definitely, and people tend to like them but they are very clearly a joke. I like to debate the business aspect of companies than games themselves which is why I tend to be in threads about services.

It has nothing to do with people not being banned. I could care less if they are banned or not. It just happens to be that banning is the only real solution to this matter. If there was an option to create a post and have the OP bans posters from a particular thread then this place would thrive much much more and people that want to actually have a conversation in an open fashion could do so without the constant drive by shit posting.

This all has to do with the quality of the content that they post and if their content is clearly designed to not add context in any fashion other than to shit post and stir the "honey pot" while also VERY clearly not wanting to engage in actual conversation with educated and passionate debate then what is the point? There are a ton of posters on here that do nothing but shit post and respond with trolly memes and emoji. Which would be fine if they weren't literally posting dozens of times on the same page destroying the flow of conversation. But why were some of these very posters temporarily banned for the exact same rhetoric but now suddenly its OK?

If the whole reason its allowed because the OP made a shitty thread that was designed to stir up the fans, which nobody was debating including myself, then why even allow the thread to continue? A shitty OP does not excuse people from having good conversation that have chosen to rise up and not sink the OP level of bitterness.

But by this logic then if I were to make a thread that was much more fleshed out and not "designed to be a honeypot" are you stating that the shit posting and trolling wouldn't be allowed? Is that the solution? If thats the case that would be news to me.

The frustration stems from and has always been the lack of transparency when asked.

I asked the very same thing when after the mass exodus and new people started joining, what are the god damn rules? What is the goal with this forum? I was told to use the report button on people being trolling and shit posting by the owner of the site. That was the extent I was told. So I did. Then I was told to send a PM to a mod. So I did. And nothing has come of it.

You and I had a conversation about a poster weeks ago that was very clearly being a terrible poster and I sent a detailed explanation after I was accused of trying to do something I was not. I showed plenty of evidence to support my claims. Took the time to lay it all out so it was easily accessible and I got absolutely nothing from it.

So now I have exhausted everything I have been told to do and then made the choice to take myself out of the equation since I clearly am mistaken to what I think GaF is about. Probably my own fault. But I am not the only one that is just as confused to what exactly the goals are here. Do I take this place too seriously? Probably so and that's no ones fault but my own, but there is very clearly a lack of communication between mods and some of the community here. All you have to do is hop into some threads and you can see other people asking the very same questions I am.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
What I do find fascinating, is that you report basically those who have contrarian or dissenting opinions about Microsoft or Xbox.
Lmao why does this keep happening? Where are all the xbox fanboys coming from? Why do they always pretend to be so persecuted? Is microsoft paying people to talk good about xbox because of the new console? Not even nintendo fans are this bad.

Microsoft if you're listening please pay me to shill. I'll write a Forbes contributor article for you too.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I will never understand console warriors. I own all three and find pros & cons in all of them. Switch is great for when I travel for work. PS4 is great for exclusives. Xbutt is a great all-rounder with the only controller that isn't made for tiny child/Asian hands.

Are they just poverty-stricken scumlords who can't afford them all? Are they such pathetic losers that they need to tie their identity to a fucking gaming console? Imagine getting butthurt about people not liking your particular console of choice.

brap

Banned
I will never understand console warriors. I own all three and find pros & cons in all of them. Switch is great for when I travel for work. PS4 is great for exclusives. Xbutt is a great all-rounder with the only controller that isn't made for tiny child/Asian hands.
I like the DS4 the best even though I have huge hands. Xbox controllers have always felt weird to me. I wanna manhandle the controller. Plus I hate convex buttons.

Are they such pathetic losers that they need to tie their identity to a fucking gaming console?
Yes.

Are they just poverty-stricken scumlords who can't afford them all? Are they such pathetic losers that they need to tie their identity to a fucking gaming console? Imagine getting butthurt about people not liking your particular console of choice.
Weird flex, but ok.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

How is the Switch Pro controller made for tiny child/Asian hands? It’s the same size as the Xbox controller.

Your shit is probably still boxed up. You don’t even game, mang. #fakegamer

Whitesnake

Banned

It’s fascinating, innit?

I think part of it has to do with just innate tribalism, defensiveness, and some of the ‘sunk cost’ phenomenon. These people interpret any celebration of the opposite console as an implicit insult to their own console, and they view any criticism of their console as an attack on them as a person. Like, by openly enjoying Console A, you’re somehow mocking them and making them feel like a dumbass because they bought Console B.

This defensiveness made a little more sense as kids because we had to ask our parents for consoles, and since parents weren’t usually willing to get two you were usually stuck with whatever one you chose. Whenever someone would talk about playing on the opposite one, it could be easy to be a little envious. And as children, this want of what you don’t have caused one to lash out by arguing for what they do have. This overcompensation is what console wars are based upon.

But these aren’t kids in elementary school or middle school. These are grown-ass adults, or at the very least late teens. Not only should they be above this, but even if they aren’t, they don’t need to be loyal to one or the other. They can just buy both.

It’s a level of mental dysfunction and maladjustment (probably stemming from childhood) that I am not at all qualified to diagnose. What I do know, is that it’s fucking pathetic.

Papa

Banned
How is the Switch Pro controller made for tiny child/Asian hands? It’s the same size as the Xbox controller.

Your shit is probably still boxed up. You don’t even game, mang. #fakegamer

Even if the controller fits fucking white male hands, Brêpe assures me that the games are for children.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Yep. Poor, sad, pathetic. The only thing that should matter are the qualities of the games, not the fucking console they release on. Console warriors are on the same level of brain dead as the typical far-left type for me.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Console warring is like arguing over sexual preferences.
If someone isn't interested in licking the cream off a beautiful redhead's naked body, but gets a massive hard-on for another legal option instead, so be it.
You do you. There are options to keep everyone happy.
Horses for courses and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom