• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagey K

Banned
Yes, it was a new account that kind of lurked around posting very minimally until their time limit expired then rushed straight into politics section. Worst troll I've seen there and the first person I ever put on ignore list. I'm sure some others have seen worse but he was the top for me anyway.
I’m always leery of anyone coming to a games forum to argue politics. It gives me PTSD to Oldgaf and Now Ree.

I avoid the politics forum in general and am eternally grateful to EviLore EviLore when he decided to make it a separate forum. In my opinion it’s the best decision he ever made here.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Did they only post in politics or something? It’s not a name I recognize. I assumed it was a newer member.
I know he crossed my path in a negative way at some point. No idea the details, but I am virtually infallible so I don’t need to anything else to go on

Kagey K

Banned
I know he crossed my path in a negative way at some point. No idea the details, but I am virtually infallible so I don’t need to anything else to go on
Fuck I’m next then if thats the case.

How much gold do you need to keep me on your good side? 🙃

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
For fuck's sake. Just saw that A Archer was banned back in 2016 by besada for complaining mildly that

"Pegging 101: Your Guide to Girl-dick On Man-butt Interactions"

was allowed but sexy girl threads weren't. A 10 year member with 9000 posts, permed...over that.

Unbanned and emailed w/ apology.

Jesus fucking christ... girl-dick. If it's a dick it's not a girl. Honestly this shit is beyond parody.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, it was a new account that kind of lurked around posting very minimally until their time limit expired then rushed straight into politics section. Worst troll I've seen there and the first person I ever put on ignore list. I'm sure some others have seen worse but he was the top for me anyway.

Tbh the dude was just incapable of honest discussion - I mean like NI on steroids extra soy. Totally Trump-deranged and a massive pain in the balls in the coronavirus thread. I don't generally bag on the banned but I'm more than happy to see that cunt go.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
While we're here...

I think of it the same way I think of a guy on OK Cupid saying "yes I'm a nice guy. Yes. I exist. I love to cook for girls and I'm so good at knitting" there's no reason for you to bring it up other than to say that you are different from the norm and therefore worthy of attention. These days though, I think it's no longer weird to see women playing COD so I only ever see the girl gamer thing on Twitch where it still gets interest due to the webcam

E ElectricBlue187 , permed for this post. 2006 member, 28,000 posts. Actual reason: likely because he was disagreeing with Aeana in there. :messenger_expressionless:

B5dtNzX.png

Unbanned, emailed.

Mr Hyde

While we're here...

Forgive me for asking, I'm a new member here so I don't really know what went down here before the split, I mean obviously something was rotting from the inside given these bans, but couldn't you unban these people before? You run the show, didn't you have a say in how the mods should act or was it out of your control? I'm thinking if there was some sort of ban sheet where you could see which member got banned and you were like "wait a minute, this is a ridiculous reason for a ban, I'm lifting this".

-Arcadia-

Banned
EviLore EviLore , thanks for doing this

I can’t imagine how much work manually sifting through multiple years of ideologically motivated bans is. I would guess it has to absolutely pile on top of your regular workload.

But it is wonderful to see people, often long-time members that contributed a lot over the years, that didn’t deserve these bans, get justice. If I feel that way, as a lurking bystander back then, I can imagine how they feel — whether they come back or not, making things right goes a long way.

To me, the telling part is that you don’t have to do this. The forum is well post-split, and quite the success. But here you are doing it anyway. That says a lot. You’re a good guy.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Forgive me for asking, I'm a new member here so I don't really know what went down here before the split, I mean obviously something was rotting from the inside given these bans, but couldn't you unban these people before? You run the show, didn't you have a say in how the mods should act or was it out of your control? I'm thinking if there was some sort of ban sheet where you could see which member got banned and you were like "wait a minute, this is a ridiculous reason for a ban, I'm lifting this".
The answers to your questions are on the first post of this thread.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

We used to be on an ancient vb3 platform that made checking up on individual bans implausible on a system logs level. Permanent bans were completely broken in the system logs, and I could only keep tabs on temp bans in system logs. They basically had to be checked via the mods' own self-reporting in the ban record, which in some cases were incomplete, obfuscated the truth, or in bish's case were eventually ignored entirely. I'd review the ban record but for bans like these it didn't paint an accurate picture, just bullshit they knew wouldn't raise any red flags and be investigated. In our team slack mod actions were supposed to be discussed and ironed out, too, but obviously if someone knew that their mod action wasn't justifiable, they would have no incentive to hold themselves accountable for it by bringing it up there.

Only a handful of the ex-mods abused the accountability systems, but that was enough to do a ton of damage. I should've kept a closer eye on things, but the best I can do is go back and make things right one by one.

Mr Hyde

The answers to your questions are on the first post of this thread.

My bad. It slipped my mind. I'm just reading all of these ridiculous bans and it just makes me shake my head.

Only a handful of the ex-mods abused the accountability systems, but that was enough to do a ton of damage. I should've kept a closer eye on things, but the best I can do is go back and make things right one by one.

I realized I should've read the OP but thanks for answering. It's great of you to go back and try to make all the wrong things right again. Shows you are the bigger man.

For fuck's sake. Just saw that A Archer was banned back in 2016 by besada for complaining mildly that

was allowed but sexy girl threads weren't. A 10 year member with 9000 posts, permed...over that.

I am complaining mildly we have tits and butts threads, but not a feet one..
(please don't ban me : D )

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I am complaining mildly we have tits and butts threads, but not a feet one..
(please don't ban me : D )

I'm glad this is a place where we can have a tits thread. It's a glorious thing. And I've said it before but cheers EviLore EviLore - you're doing a good job with this, not that you need my approval but I'm giving it anyway. Despite the odd cunt, this is my home on the internet, something I've not had in a while.

Papa

Banned
I'm glad this is a place where we can have a tits thread. It's a glorious thing. And I've said it before but cheers EviLore EviLore - you're doing a good job with this, not that you need my approval but I'm giving it anyway. Despite the odd cunt, this is my home on the internet, something I've not had in a while.

neva 4get

source.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
S SteveWinwood

Permed by bish in 2015, no apparent reason, nothing questionable at all in his post history. Final post was disagreeing with A Link to the Past (formerly A Link to the Snitch) about something related to Bernie Sanders, though, so that's apparently what did him in.

ignorance towards gmos kills millions by preventing people from eating easily available food

but yeah its not in america so people dont seem to care that much

people are dying in preventable ways

can we not ask our politicians to try and fix those?

All our normal regulars were dumped without due process or just cause like this in the same time period, replaced by radical nutjobs. Infuriating. Emailed him.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What was the name of that Scottish gaffer who was always getting in IRL trouble, circa 2012-2013? He blacked out and assaulted a guy in a bathroom.

-Arcadia-

Banned
What was the name of that Scottish gaffer who was always getting in IRL trouble, circa 2012-2013? He blacked out and assaulted a guy in a bathroom.

I presume you’re looking for a banned member? Probably not the same, and he’s not banned, but the only IRL rageaholic Gaffer I remember from that time is Docpan.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Is this how men who claim to be straight, cope?

Just say you're a gay man and get over it.

R_vXH6.gif

Nobody cares.

crumbs

S SteveWinwood

Permed by bish in 2015, no apparent reason, nothing questionable at all in his post history. Final post was disagreeing with A Link to the Past (formerly A Link to the Snitch) about something related to Bernie Sanders, though, so that's apparently what did him in.

All our normal regulars were dumped without due process or just cause like this in the same time period, replaced by radical nutjobs. Infuriating. Emailed him.

I'm sure that ban hurt , but hopefully he's the same boy he used to be.

Sorry I'm old, I'll see myself out

We used to be on an ancient vb3 platform that made checking up on individual bans implausible on a system logs level. Permanent bans were completely broken in the system logs, and I could only keep tabs on temp bans in system logs. They basically had to be checked via the mods' own self-reporting in the ban record, which in some cases were incomplete, obfuscated the truth, or in bish's case were eventually ignored entirely. I'd review the ban record but for bans like these it didn't paint an accurate picture, just bullshit they knew wouldn't raise any red flags and be investigated. In our team slack mod actions were supposed to be discussed and ironed out, too, but obviously if someone knew that their mod action wasn't justifiable, they would have no incentive to hold themselves accountable for it by bringing it up there.

Always a nice gesture to rectify unjust mod actions. I don't know how many of these users end up logging back in but hopefully it's most of them, if not all. That and I've always heard vBulletin is outdated so it's good you switched to what looks like XenForo so that stuff like this is less of a headache.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom