• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The only way console warriors can procreate, is by annoying people enough to become like them.
A truly unsettling life cycle of sadness.

fUkOtzZ.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Let's welcome back GetemMa GetemMa , permabanned for wrongthink back in 2014 over this post, which was apparently "disingenuous":

Oh Nintendo. Just get with the times. I'm sure the people of Japan will get over two men getting married in their video games. They seem to be okay with incest themed dating simulators so let that be your guide as to how warped the culture is about sexuality. Raise the bar man. People in America won't fucking notice. The whole country has Attention Deficity Low Activity disorder. They pay attention to a lot and do jack shit about it because you know, Mario Kart 8 looks fucking RAD!

Gay marriage Life Sim <------------ (You know the same as Hetero life sim, stress induced ulcers, fighting over money, lots of infedility, and eventual divorce)

--------------------"The Bar"-------------------------------

Incestuous Life Sim <---------------------- (Disgusting, just super fucking gross in every way)

Or, Just stay silent next time. At the very least don't give yourself a 24 hour case of internet outrage. Now this story will take another 12 to 24 hours to die before people move onto something else.

This is the problem with internet outrage. It's a faddist game. It is like it is more of competition to just keep with the latest fad on Twitter than to actually do something meaningful about the outrageous shit you hear about on Twitter. That would require getting off the Smart Device/Computer and FUCK THAT! Thats how THEY win, by shutting us up.

GetemMa

Let's welcome back GetemMa GetemMa , permabanned for wrongthink back in 2014 over this post, which was apparently "disingenuous":

Great! thanks Tyler. It will be nice to get back into discussing videogames again. I use Reddit from time to time, but it never filled the void.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Ark-boy requested a perm?

Probably the most embarrassing thing a political troll can do is give up and leave forever. It’s basically admitting defeat.

To me, the most embarrassing thing they can do is exist. Especially tagged with some humiliating quote by the mods, and continuing to aggressively post, like their opinion is worth anything at that point.

At least leaving shows a fraction of dignity, and the understanding that they’re not wanted.

Unfortunately, he also requested a perm on the way out, meaning it was a butthurt drama ploy thing, which completely undoes it, lol.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Why did the 'how powerful is the xsx' thread get locked?

Other than that one fella posting a table full of bollox, it started getting interesting

This is not the thread for it, but yes it did.

We already have many threads all talking about the same thing in circular arguments, including the speculation OT. There are several who have been permanently reply banned from the OT, trying to get around it with other threads repeating ad nauseum the exact same things they were reply banned for.

Gets tiring moderating the same arguments spread across multiple threads of the same theme. There doesn't need to be a new thread for every YouTuber analysis as well.

This is not the thread for it, but yes it did.

We already have many threads all talking about the same thing in circular arguments, including the speculation OT. There are several who have been permanently reply banned from the OT, trying to get around it with other threads repeating ad nauseum the exact same things they were reply banned for.

Gets tiring moderating the same arguments spread across multiple threads of the same theme. There doesn't need to be a new thread for every YouTuber analysis as well.
The more you know.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that.

Jon Neu

Banned
I just have one thing to say to the mod team regarding my ban.

Why did it take you so long?

I’m fully aware it was totally deserved. First, I love arguments and I love lost causes, and the Xbox cause seems like a lost cause most of the time here and I can’t stand double standards among the usual Sony (supporters?), so when I see that I engage with them in my aggressive fashion. And that brings me to the second part; I can be too aggressive and assholy sometimes.

It’s a bad coctel for any forum with anything resembling rules so when I was banned wasn’t something that surprised me at all.

There’s no point in saying I’m not going to do it again. I will try to be more respectful and substitute aggressiveness with humour, as I normally do, but I know myself well enough to know I can’t promise to be a good polite lad all the time. When I see some snarky comment, my nature is to respond with even a snarkier comment and from then the discussion is on and I never know when to stop. It’s the way I am and I don’t think that’s going to change in the short period, if ever.

Only thing I can promise is that I will enjoy my stay here, for as long as it will be.

He kinda feels like a total troll to me, like all he does is hang around threads for games he hates

I learned to stop engaging with him because he doesn't discuss things in an honest way and will switch positions a few pages later in a thread

Damn, I didn’t knew you hated me that much. You are totally misrepresenting me and the things that happened, though.

I don’t hate The Last Of Us 2 at all, for example. Neither Ghost Of Tsushima, which is the latest game thread I frequented before the ban, I think. I don’t remember hanging around a thread of a game I hate, because normally the games I hate are so bad they don’t even have threads and I don’t even care about them.

Seems to me you hate me just because I’m really active and aggressive against your own narratives and therefore your modus operandi is to try and invalidate my opinions with ad hominems.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
And that brings me to the second part; I can be too aggressive and assholy sometimes.

It’s a bad coctel for any forum with anything resembling rules so when I was banned wasn’t something that surprised me at all.

There’s no point in saying I’m not going to do it again. I will try to be more respectful and substitute aggressiveness with humour, as I normally do, but I know myself well enough to know I can’t promise to be a good polite lad all the time. When I see some snarky comment, my nature is to respond with even a snarkier comment and from then the discussion is on and I never know when to stop. It’s the way I am and I don’t think that’s going to change in the short period, if ever.

Relate. It’s really difficult, as someone who spent most of the 2010s with hardly any online rules whatsoever, to get used to a TOS. I don’t know if that’s your experience, but it’s mine.

I’m used to nothing but a moral code: Be friendly and uplifting to good/decent people, and give crap people everything they deserve. And always forgive someone who wants to transfer from the latter to the former.

Thing is, it’s not just you, or me, anymore. There’s a whole community to consider, threads that can get knocked off course, newbies watching how you behave, and maybe imitating it, etc. There’s also a mod team of pretty cool people, that have to deal with all the wreckage.

I don’t exactly know what the answer is. But I do know I want to try to find it. Both for those pretty cool people, and because I don’t want to wake up one day, and realize that I let idiots bait me into destroying something for myself that’s so much fun, full of meaningful, non-adversarial relationships, and has such a positive affect on my free time.

They always flame out and are dealt with in the end. Why go with them?

I think the key is to find that line between being respectful to the wider community, and being true to yourself when these kind of people start in. It doesn’t have to mean gagging yourself, but rather thinking about how you can express those things without a blast radius.

And there’s always plenty of stupid people to yell at freely on the internet, if you ever just need to unleash elsewhere, lol

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member

I’m fully aware it was totally deserved. First, I love arguments and I love lost causes, and the Xbox cause seems like a lost cause most of the time here and I can’t stand double standards among the usual Sony (supporters?), so when I see that I engage with them in my aggressive fashion. And that brings me to the second part; I can be too aggressive and assholy sometimes.

Jon Neu Jon Neu - your ban was short as it took into account your prolific contribution and general honesty. If you were someone who just surfaced once every two weeks for a shitpost party, then the ban would have been longer in order to 'overlap' your activity span. Given your activity and willingness to contribute honestly, 3 days felt like it was enough to reinforce the point we were trying to make.

We are not gullible, we know everyone has their own personalities, and we'd be fools to think people undergo an instantaneous arc of redemption/self improvement after being excluded for three days. It's meant to be a proportionate response to an issue we felt was overtaking your posts rather than being an underlying demon. Over time and with enough soft nudges and relevant course correction, you might just round out a little more, and be more agreeable to picking the right moments to be assholy. Then hopefully, as you intend to be a long time member that sort of behaviour and experience can rub off and lift the whole forum to higher standards. It's a project, and it's been really successful so far with numbers increasing exponentially and posters returning and it's still on the up :)

All we ask is people engage honestly and keep the 'red mist' from descending too heavily or overstaying its welcome. Arguments will escalate and bubble over, and there will be a little bit of a scuffle as things work themselves out. It would be daft to try and quell every disagreement, as some of these are borne of genuine passion and frustration that need a bit of oxygen - to prevent massive resentment settling in, and creating a toxic, sniping environment (any online community will have an element of this anyway).

As always we try to moderate at an individual level where activity and history allows us to. Although we don't participate much, we do have a good handle on our community members with high posting visibility, and being abrasive or having strongly held opinions is not enough to get banned. The current Naughty Dog threads have descended into what are largely circular arguments now, with the same posters reiterating points. Posts which are pushing back are no more disingenuous than the repetitive questions about 'what agenda', 'what is SJW?' etc.

I suspect we'll cross paths again

Last edited:

Only thing I can promise is that I will enjoy my stay here, for as long as it will be.

Damn, I didn’t knew you hated me that much. You are totally misrepresenting me and the things that happened, though.

I don’t hate The Last Of Us 2 at all, for example. Neither Ghost Of Tsushima, which is the latest game thread I frequented before the ban, I think. I don’t remember hanging around a thread of a game I hate, because normally the games I hate are so bad they don’t even have threads and I don’t even care about them.

Seems to me you hate me just because I’m really active and aggressive against your own narratives and therefore your modus operandi is to try and invalidate my opinions with ad hominems.

I don't hate you but your contributions in certain threads I've frequented felt hostile and sometimes disingenuous. You spent multiple pages talking about the poisonous agenda of TLOU II and how upset you are over it, then suddenly claim you're excited to play it... then claim you've never played the first one. It's a really weird look. You not hating games you haven't played is a good start for you, though! That said what narratives am I pushing that you're aggressive against? My narrative that we should see a game in its full context before judging it? That's an interesting narrative to be aggressively against and surely sounds like the viewpoint of someone who is excited for the game!

Nice of you guys to take a side in that Naughty Dog thread but hey the mods have a point, I should have better comprehended his point about NARRATIVE STRUCTURE IN TRAILERS. What an important topic.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Nice of you guys to take a side in that Naughty Dog thread.

Mod actions like this one are taken when someone is disrupting threads around themselves, taking on all comers, and not allowing for discussions to play out organically by the group. We're a linear format message board so individual users can easily go overboard by responding aggressively and/or to everyone who engages with them.

It's best to say what you have to say, follow up to support your positions as necessary a few times, then let things go before the thread resembles you vs the world.

Mod actions like this one are taken when someone is disrupting threads around themselves, taking on all comers, and not allowing for discussions to play out organically by the group. We're a linear format message board so individual users can easily go overboard by responding aggressively and/or to everyone who engages with them.

It's best to say what you have to say, follow up to support your positions as necessary a few times, then let things go before the thread resembles you vs the world.

If I'm the only one willing to take the alternative position then you're only allowing one viewpoint, and if I keep being quoted I'm meant to not respond?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If I'm the only one willing to take the alternative position then you're only allowing one viewpoint, and if I keep being quoted I'm meant to not respond?

You're allowed to respond within reason, without derailing the thread around yourself. That goes for everyone regardless of the position taken.

You're allowed to respond within reason, without derailing the thread around yourself. That goes for everyone regardless of the position taken.

I'm just not sure what this means, it seems to mean I need to ignore certain replies directed at me regardless of whether or not I have a response and that the onus is completely on me for a derailment when multiple people quote me. I don't mean to be a problem, I have a bit of OCD when it comes to letting things lie people say if I have a response to it.

Edit: I'm now being accused of being blatantly disingenuous, very different to what you're saying is the reason. What am I doing that's blatantly disingenuous? I think it's fair to ask that.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm just not sure what this means, it seems to mean I need to ignore certain replies directed at me regardless of whether or not I have a response and that the onus is completely on me for a derailment when multiple people quote me.

Yes, that's what the expectation is for everyone. The onus is on you for your part, and moderation will step in if things get out of hand in terms of a group of users dogpiling someone for a minority position.

This scenario has played out thousands of times on GAF over the years. In busy threads, 100 people may engage with one post. As the person on the receiving end of that, you have to pick your battles or the thread will inevitably derail.

Yes, that's what the expectation is for everyone. The onus is on you for your part, and moderation will step in if things get out of hand in terms of a group of users dogpiling someone for a minority position.

This scenario has played out thousands of times on GAF over the years. In busy threads, 100 people may engage with one post. As the person on the receiving end of that, you have to pick your battles or the thread will inevitably derail.

I can accept that, but I'm being accused of being blatantly disingenuous... I legit wasn't... the idea that the other poster's problem was the narrative structure of a trailer was not what I assumed I was arguing about, such a concept isn't really even worth arguing about and if I knew I would have picked my battles there and not responded. Who cares how a trailer is structured?

Again, I apologize if I'm taking this too hard. Like I said, I'm a bit OCD... among other problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom