• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Lot of discussion here between both sides. I'm not here to get in the middle of that -- debate breeds good results and learning for everyone.

I do want to balance out the scales and thank the mods for an overall great job, rather than letting the negative recent discussion here blank out everything, as it's been ongoing for a while. 9 TF blah blah blah.

The fact that we can professionally debate anything within the bounds of 90s/2000s sanity, is just (chef's kiss). I also appreciate the hard work in removing people destructive to discourse. Among a lot of other things.

Oh, and bringing Brap back for a second chance. That was seriously amazing, and see if you get that on any other site.

Basically, I hope everyone works out what they need to work out, but don't forget everything you already have here. I see some users maybe forgetting that in their passion.

Last edited:

Ascend

Lot of discussion here between both sides. I'm not here to get in the middle of that -- debate breeds good results and learning for everyone.

I do want to balance out the scales and thank the mods for an overall great job, rather than letting the negative recent discussion here blank out everything, as it's been ongoing for a while. 9 TF blah blah blah.

The fact that we can professionally debate anything within the bounds of 90s/2000s sanity, is just (chef's kiss). I also appreciate the hard work in removing people destructive to discourse. Among a lot of other things.

Oh, and bringing Brap back for a second chance. That was seriously amazing, and see if you get that on any other site.

Basically, I hope everyone works out what they need to work out, but don't forget everything you already have here. I see some users maybe forgetting that in their passion.
I can agree with you. Being a moderator is not easy, especially in this environment where everyone is passionate... We are all excited for what is to come for next gen. Expectations are high, and no one wants to be disappointed. I think that subconsciously many are trying to shift the possible disappointment as only being possible for another group they themselves don't belong to, for comfort. We all love gaming, and we have our preferences. In my opinion, we should be allowed to express our preferences. I like the saying that your rights end where the rights of another begin. And the same should apply here. It should be fine to express your opinion, it's not fine to trash the other console just because your preference is different. The issue starts when expressing your opinion is seen as trashing others or vice versa. And it's hard to judge intention just from words... So it might be an unsolvable problem, but, the mitigation should at least be balanced.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Got it all out of your systems? Good.

I took the liberty of answering for you. Bring the petty console spat meta to the meta thread. If the meta thread doesn’t want that shit, then neither should this one. This is getting exhausting, make a new “console war I'm innocent but they aren’t meta OT” if you must.

Keep this relevant to the ban review/justice project and some current bans you may feel to be unjust.

Thank you, and have a fantastic weekend!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I took the liberty of answering for you. Bring the petty console spat meta to the meta thread. If the meta thread doesn’t want that shit, then neither should this one. This is getting exhausting, make a new “console war I'm innocent but they aren’t meta OT” if you must.

Keep this relevant to the ban review/justice project and some current bans you may feel to be unjust.

Mod of War Mod of War You're the best! You are hilarious and you always make me laugh. You have a fantastic weekend yourself.

P.S. I AM innocent and THEY aren't

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin

To be frank the self-annointed moderators are getting pretty annoying too
I'm sure I've had my round of reports, but I'm not going around saying "YOU SHOULD ONLY POST THIS IN THIS THREAD"
Leave that shit to the mods; simple report, or just an ignore is REALLY effective and keeps end users as end users

-Arcadia-

Banned
I'm sure I've had my round of reports, but I'm not going around saying "YOU SHOULD ONLY POST THIS IN THIS THREAD"
Leave that shit to the mods; simple report, or just an ignore is REALLY effective and keeps end users as end users

As you mean me, I have zero power. You can choose to listen to me or not.

Spamming out Meta Gaf with videos is still annoying.

thelastword

Banned
It's been going on for a while now too....

-Arcadia-

Banned
Being told you're doing something wrong, isn't moderating for the moderators. That goes for both of you.

That's part of a healthy community that prunes and criticizes itself. I get my fair share too. You can choose to take that criticism, and in both these cases, you really, really should, or ignore it.

Until a warning from Matt404AU, or whoever, pops up in your notifications, you aren't being 'moderated by users' so much as you have rustled jimmies and ran to the Ban Review thread to cry.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
We like to think the community can be capable adults and “police themselves” through constructive and civil -for the most part- discourse. Within reason of course.
I'm just a type that thinks "Police the scene," is what lead to cancel culture and things like our counter parts
It's a fine line, and I find you guys admirable for wanting to deal with it

Used to mod in private server and pirating forums; you guys have more worries than I ever did lmao
I just dealt with ass hats and the obvious "Don't link to bad shit," posts

And can ya guys lighten up on me taunting people for not being a pirate :p I kid I kid

Dargor

We like to think the community can be capable adults and “police themselves” through constructive and civil -for the most part- discourse. Within reason of course.

Go take a look at the gaming side, particularly at the next gen speculation thread. You'll be thinking again pretty fast and hopefully start swinging that axe, we are sorely needing some moderation. The warriors are taking over and its not looking good :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Xplainin

Banned
Moderation needs to be consistent.
If You went into the Velocity Architecture thread it is littered with assumptions and factually incorrect posts from Sony posters who are trying to downplay what it is.
Thats not a problem it appears. Its pretty hands off from the mods.
Make a post in the speculation thread posting something factual, that Sony implemented variable clocks and Smartshift to address thermal issues, and you get thread banned and labelled a troll.
If you think that cooling isnt one of the biggest "issues" that console manufactures have to take into account when designing a system, then you know nothing about consoles, nor how history is littered with cases of when it failed.

Now I dont know if you have a heap of people in that thread that report every post that they dont like, and you feel you have to act on it, or if you are all Sony biased, but for someone who doesnt go around throwing insults at people, or derailing threads, or the like it would have been far better for you to send me a message saying that I need to be able to clarify what I am saying and give me a heads up than to take the action you did.
I was taken out of context, and what I said was both factual and posted in good faith.

I dont go around hitting the report button on posts I dont like. I can ignore stuff I dont like, and I can choose to reply to them or not.

At the end of the day it's not my forum, and it can be ran whatever way you choose fit, but if you want to encourage people to be active here, post interesting threads and engage in conversation, these types of actions go against that.

This forum is a great place. Its not wound up in the bullshit the other place is, and for the most time the mods leave you alone. And That's the weird thing. You get left alone, and then bang, out of nowhere an over the top reaction like this.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
source.gif

Cutty Flam

Banned
I’d like to open up a discussion with all those participating in this thread and receive some input on this decision and some other things since I am still fairly new to this site and am not sure of all the rules. I was given a warning total of three points (how many until I am banned btw? I’m trying my best to avoid but I have 6 warning points total) for this thread

And the moderation notice is here

The thing is, I wasn’t trolling at all. Those were my genuine thoughts and emotions and me having fun with others discussing probably my second or third favorite series in Resident Evil, first is definitely The Legend of Zelda series. You can look at my posts in those threads and you can see that I openly frustrated with the game and pointing out its flaws and glitches and such. But I was also asking and listening to others about info on the game. Tips, strategies, hints, and listening to their experiences on the game and talking about the other Resident Evil games too

I saw that three posters curtly assumed I was trolling and called me out because of my making multiple threads for the same game, but I didn’t feel like it would be a good idea to make one thread about it since this is my first playthrough and I am super careful to try my best not to spoil things for myself and others and I know a lot would probably go against me had I made just one thread for Resident Evil: Zero. As well as the fact that I didn’t think my run is important because I am obviously much worse at this game than even the average gamer who will play it. I have a reason for too, but I don’t want to bore everyone in here with the details. But I think it’s wrong in this situation that posters were ridiculing me and assuming I was trolling because I have been playing for so long and touching base with other gamers every so often in a new thread

Saying, (loosely paraphrasing)

“a game that takes 4-5 hrs”

“this game has 12 hrs of gameplay”

“so we can expect another 5 months of RE0 threads then”

“you have to stop with these threads. it’s bordering on trolling at this point”

I can understand the last one. At least that poster didn’t outright assume but the other three are essentially saying, “you couldn’t beat this game in 4 hrs like the pro speedrunners wtf man. You didn’t beat it in 12 hrs like a veteran who has already played this before come on man, why are you still talking about the game” basically is what they expect

There are several factors as to why I didn’t beat the game in the average amount of time it would usually take but again I digress unless somebody wants to hear them. But that’s another thing, how do I go about posting? What should I have done in this entire situation? I thought I was doing pretty good and behaving well but those few posters sort of all came at me at once and myst have reported me for trolling or something. But that was never the case, those were threads where we discussed and covered a decent bit for anyone who is struggling during their first playthrough as I have been. It was all for fun but those posters pressed an issue that was never even there. The only thing I think I might’ve done wrong, is to have made too many threads on one game for one user? I can see how that might overload a website if every viewer were to do that

And here’s a pic of the untamable belly of the beast unleashed by Capcom

CQZuKfT.jpg

SleepDoctor

Banned
I’d like to open up a discussion with all those participating in this thread and receive some input on this decision and some other things since I am still fairly new to this site and am not sure of all the rules. I was given a warning total of three points (how many until I am banned btw? I’m trying my best to avoid but I have 6 warning points total) for this thread

The thing is, I wasn’t trolling at all. Those were my genuine thoughts and emotions and me having fun with others discussing probably my second or third favorite series in Resident Evil, first is definitely The Legend of Zelda series. You can look at my posts in those threads and you can see that I openly frustrated with the game and pointing out its flaws and glitches and such. But I was also asking and listening to others about info on the game. Tips, strategies, hints, and listening to their experiences on the game and talking about the other Resident Evil games too

I saw that three posters curtly assumed I was trolling and called me out because of my making multiple threads for the same game, but I didn’t feel like it would be a good idea to make one thread about it since this is my first playthrough and I am super careful to try my best not to spoil things for myself and others and I know a lot would probably go against me had I made just one thread for Resident Evil: Zero. As well as the fact that I didn’t think my run is important because I am obviously much worse at this game than even the average gamer who will play it. I have a reason for too, but I don’t want to bore everyone in here with the details. But I think it’s wrong in this situation that posters were ridiculing me and assuming I was trolling because I have been playing for so long and touching base with other gamers every so often in a new thread

I can understand the last one. At least that poster didn’t outright assume but the other three are essentially saying, “you couldn’t beat this game in 4 hrs like the pro speedrunners wtf man. You didn’t beat it in 12 hrs like a veteran who has already played this before come on man, why are you still talking about the game” basically is what they expect

There are several factors as to why I didn’t beat the game in the average amount of time it would usually take but again I digress unless somebody wants to hear them. But that’s another thing, how do I go about posting? What should I have done in this entire situation? I thought I was doing pretty good and behaving well but those few posters sort of all came at me at once and myst have reported me for trolling or something. But that was never the case, those were threads where we discussed and covered a decent bit for anyone who is struggling during their first playthrough as I have been. It was all for fun but those posters pressed an issue that was never even there. The only thing I think I might’ve done wrong, is to have made too many threads on one game for one user? I can see how that might overload a website if every viewer were to do that

CQZuKfT.jpg

You're on a gaming forum, discussing a game you're playing through. I don't see anything wrong.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Cutty Flam Cutty Flam shoulda made one thread to talk about your experience in the game, bumped it when you had an update, and not spread it out over 5-6 different threads. I can see why the mods chose to lock that thread.

If I think there might already be a thread for something I always do a quick search and then bump that instead of making a new one. It’s just a way to keep the board somewhat organized and keep similar discussions together. I don’t think the mods meant any malice against you.

Xplainin

Banned

CQZuKfT.jpg
Nothing wrong with your thread.
You kinda did make a few of them, but mods could have just closed the ones they thought were duplicates, or merged them and then Tell you to try and keep it to one thread.
No need for the drama of warning and infraction points.
If you continue to do it then they should give you a warning, maybe take away your thread making ability for awhile.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Thanks

haxan7 haxan7 I won't make that mistake again most likely. One poster even tracked all my threads repeatedly lmao. That's the fool I'm most pissed at for even making this an issue. Believe me, I was seething and wanted to confront him face to face like a man but I'm already on thin ice I think (now 6 pts out of 10 I am assuming) because I made a few mistakes when I first signed up with low quality threads. I gave my word I would do my best to be better. That's why I am here trying to correct

Xplainin Xplainin not mad at the mods at all. I was furious with the poster(s) who called me out with the multiple threads though and ridiculed me. I bit my tongue and didn't respond to one for a few threads in a row, actually humored him a few times and gave him a thumbs up or whatever because I thought he was joking. I didn't know he actually took some sort of issue with it, evidently because I doubt a mod would write this up by himself/herself. Most likely the mod working at that time saw that someone reported my thread and was forced to make a choice. So a poster reported something trivial, and a mod was forced to act and choose a side so I am not in that respect. Those members are trifling though, I'm upset because now I have points that I feel are not deserved because three posters in a row, four in the thread didn't like what I was doing, but in actuality, the only thing I did wrong is something simple and that is making a bit too many threads

The main thing is: I feel the three or four posters pressed an issue wasn't even there and one seems to even delight in calling me out and making little snide quips. It's nothing all that much, but I do feel they were wrong and slightly antagonizing

I would feel like a bitch if I just let it slide. I had to ask for guidance here because I didn't like the thought at all of letting said 3-4 posters thinking they were right when they weren't. I wasn't trolling at all

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I don’t think those warnings even add up to a ban. The mods can clarify but I think they use them mostly for tracking purposes or something. If you were on thin ice towards a ban you would know it

Xplainin

Banned
Thanks

haxan7 haxan7 I won't make that mistake again most likely. One poster even tracked all my threads repeatedly lmao. That's the fool I'm most pissed at for even making this an issue. Believe me, I was seething and wanted to confront him face to face like a man but I'm already on thin ice I think (now 6 pts out of 10 I am assuming) because I made a few mistakes when I first signed up with low quality threads. I gave my word I would do my best to be better. That's why I am here trying to correct

Xplainin Xplainin not mad at the mods at all. I was furious with the poster(s) who called me out with the multiple threads though and ridiculed me. I bit my tongue and didn't respond to one for a few threads in a row, actually humored him a few times and gave him a thumbs up or whatever because I thought he was joking. I didn't know he actually took some sort of issue with it, evidently because I doubt a mod would write this up by himself/herself. Most likely the mod working at that time saw that someone reported my thread and was forced to make a choice. So a poster reported something trivial, and a mod was forced to act and choose a side so I am not in that respect. Those members are trifling though, I'm upset because now I have points that I feel are not deserved because three posters in a row, four in the thread didn't like what I was doing, but in actuality, the only thing I did wrong is something simple and that is making a bit too many threads

The main thing is: I feel the three or four posters pressed an issue wasn't even there and one seems to even delight in calling me out and making little snide quips. It's nothing all that much, but I do feel they were wrong and slightly antagonizing

I would feel like a bitch if I just let it slide. I had to ask for guidance here because I didn't like the thought at all of letting said 3-4 posters thinking they were right when they weren't. I wasn't trolling at all
Don't take people calling you out personal. It's the internet. People do that.
Just remember you dont know who is on the other end of the comments. Could be a 12 year old kid, could be someone with Autism, you don't know. Thats why you cant take it seriously.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I wonder how you tell a mod thanks for the guidance, without publically 'cucking' yourself. Lol.

I just wanted to say, cool message, taken to heart, and good advice.

nush

Gold Member

Ironically these comments are thread whining. If any topic title clearly indicates the content inside it's the people clicking on it instead of just ignoring it that have the problem. But if you were making multiple threads of the same game playthrough, then they are valid feedback.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Haven't undone an insane bish ban in a while. Let's give a warm welcome back to darthvargi darthvargi , unjustly permed back in 2015 for being reasonable in a thread about the police:

Although I'm obviously against racial profiling, this just seems like a grab for attention. The media has been making police officers into looking like monsters, and sure there are bad apples that need to be exposed, but this is only a story because of the extreme narrative of the media.

I don't even see how this is a story, he's not fleeing from political persecution, he's fleeing out a false mistrust of the police. I hope he reconsiders his decision.

x9vF5PL.png

:messenger_expressionless:

thelastword

Banned
I agree, but as you said, we can police ourselves within discourse, but that is rarely the case I've seen in many circumstances. Some posters pretend they are white knights and have this overbearing presence trying to police. Some even think they have a right to put things straight and scold other members. It's like they've been delegated this role without pay.....I've seen them discuss games or game technology much less than I've seen them going on and on in the ban review threads or on other posters. Surely that can't be good for the poster or the forums. If you spend all your time in the ban thread, surely something is wrong...

To other posters wanting threads to be shut down.....I've seen some good discussion in the next gen thread.....I've learned quite a bit from those discussions and from the corroborative material presented there....I've not been in the Velocity thread too much or perhaps never even posted there, yet if people make direct comparisons to PS5 SSD architecture and try to falsify or mis-represent the differences between the two, then other posters are liable to lay waste to that claim, not in an antagonistic manner mind you......I feel many posters just don't want to debate/discuss or have discourse as they are saying. They'd rather certain arguments or even confirmed data be ousted and bushelled and would rather persist with false claims.....If anybody challenges their false data or comparisons with legal tender, they buckle down and cry wolf.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I agree, but as you said, we can police ourselves within discourse, but that is rarely the case I've seen in many circumstances. Some posters pretend they are white knights and have this overbearing presence trying to police. Some even think they have a right to put things straight and scold other members. It's like they've been delegated this role without pay.....I've seen them discuss games or game technology much less than I've seen them going on and on in the ban review threads or on other posters. Surely that can't be good for the poster or the forums. If you spend all your time in the ban thread, surely something is wrong...

To other posters wanting threads to be shut down.....I've seen some good discussion in the next gen thread.....I've learned quite a bit from those discussions and from the corroborative material presented there....I've not been in the Velocity thread too much or perhaps never even posted there, yet if people make direct comparisons to PS5 SSD architecture and try to falsify or mis-represent the differences between the two, then other posters are liable to lay waste to that claim, not in an antagonistic manner mind you......I feel many posters just don't want to debate/discuss or have discourse as they are saying. They'd rather certain arguments or even confirmed data be ousted and bushelled and would rather persist with false claims.....If anybody challenges their false data or comparisons with legal tender, they buckle down and cry wolf.

KgFO71m.gif

Wanted to respond then i saw this below.
My faith in Gaf restored.

R Riastrad shouldn't be a perm IMO.

Nothing there was racist or edgy and it's how must Brits think in private. In public we just deal with it.

A warning or 24 hour ban explaining not to air those kinds of views because it's an international forum, would have been better.

nush

Gold Member

Nothing there was racist or edgy and it's how must Brits think in private. In public we just deal with it.

A warning or 24 hour ban explaining not to air those kinds of views because it's an international forum, would have been better.

As another Brit, that's a fair perm. The rest of that line of thinking is "Coming over here, not learning our language, taking our jobs, shagging our birds, getting free council houses and benefits, it's PC gone mad!". Too much of a problem for him to put in his headphones and listed to Spotify instead of everyone else's phone conversations?

-Arcadia-

Banned

I thought that too. Check out the rest of his history -- it's full of minority bashing. Every time there's a dubious ban, a delve into post history reveals a lot more context.

Imo, these kinds of bans being labeled with (multiple), more often, would probably save a lot of grief with people questioning them.

As another Brit, that's a fair perm. The rest of that line of thinking is "Coming over here, not learning our language, taking our jobs, shagging our birds, getting free council houses and benefits, it's PC gone mad!". Too much of a problem for him to put in his headphones and listed to Spotify instead of everyone else's phone conversations?

His post, in a vacuum, and taken as letting off steam, is fine. Not everyone wants forced, overnight multiculturalism, as opposed to the culture they grew up with, while every other place in the world gets to opt out and retain that.

It would be different if there were cultural values in place that immigrants assimilated into, as it was for decades, but that framework no longer exists. Instead, you have multiple parallel cultures, and yes, even languages, butting heads constantly.

Some people aren't smart enough to phrase that as anything but a race issue, unfortunately, but general sentiments like this probably have a little more depth than the speaker gives them.

No excuse for the poster though, who made his own bed across multiple posts.

I agree. Don't see any racism in his post. A lot of white Eastern Europeans are in the UK who may not be speaking English on public transport.

EDIT seems there was a pattern in his post history? If so, fair enough.

Last edited:
With all due respect I absolutely disagree. Taking that post in a vacuum, there's nothing wrong or racist about it. Growing up in a multi-cultural area, it does get very tiring swapping between how we talk to and act around certain groups to help bridge the language barrier and this has Nowt to do with skin colour, religion etc. Even living with the Scots, Welsh or Irish is tiring.

That been said, I didn't look back through his post history but that post alone is just modern life in a modern city In England.

Jooxed

Gold Member
With all due respect I absolutely disagree. Taking that post in a vacuum, there's nothing wrong or racist about it. Growing up in a multi-cultural area, it does get very tiring swapping between how we talk to and act around certain groups to help bridge the language barrier and this has Nowt to do with skin colour, religion etc. Even living with the Scots, Welsh or Irish is tiring.

That been said, I didn't look back through his post history but that post alone is just modern life in a modern city In England.

yeah my dudes post history is a little gross I’d read up on it before you go to bat for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom