• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catphish

I don't know if this is the place to do it, but I'd like to appeal timeflais' recent ban.

Yes, he was being a bit obtuse, but I don't think it was malicious. He brought up some interesting things, including the 7 Hermetic Principles, which I'd never heard of before, but was inspired to learn about. I'm glad I did.

I don't know. A permanent ban for his mostly harmless posts? Seems pretty harsh. Please reconsider.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I don't know if this is the place to do it, but I'd like to appeal timeflais' recent ban.

Yes, he was being a bit obtuse, but I don't think it was malicious. He brought up some interesting things, including the 7 Hermetic Principles, which I'd never heard of before, but was inspired to learn about. I'm glad I did.

I don't know. A permanent ban for his mostly harmless posts? Seems pretty harsh. Please reconsider.
I'll say this, there are people who do make some great posts. However, this is the internet and we can't transparently see how everyone really thinks and how their crazy views can spill out into the forum down the road. That seems to be the case here. I read the thread that got him banned and even for an Off-Topic thread...I tried convincing myself that he just wrote it to troll until I read his response to all the questions which were basically asking, "WTF, man?" He replied to each question in an Alex Jones' mannerism which leads me to ask the questions: what else has he been posting (this is the first post I read of his)? what's he planning to contribute to the community in the future with this "truth" babbling?

I'll ask you this...have you ever met someone who's nailed down to conspiracy theories? Can you have reasonable conversation with people like that? Can you convince them that there's not toxic fluoride in the drinking water or that the government isn't using microwave radiation to read their minds? I've never seen one of those people listen to reason and say, "Yeah, you know...it's pretty crazy." They just get louder when you challenge their lunacy.

Here's the post:

Catphish

I'll say this, there are people who do make some great posts. However, this is the internet and we can't transparently see how everyone really thinks and how their crazy views can spill out into the forum down the road. That seems to be the case here. I read the thread that got him banned and even for an Off-Topic thread...I tried convincing myself that he just wrote it to troll until I read his response to all the questions which were basically asking, "WTF, man?" He replied to each question in an Alex Jones' mannerism which leads me to ask the questions: what else has he been posting (this is the first post I read of his)? what's he planning to contribute to the community in the future with this "truth" babbling?

I'll ask you this...have you ever met someone who's nailed down to conspiracy theories? Can you have reasonable conversation with people like that? Can you convince them that there's not toxic fluoride in the drinking water or that the government isn't using microwave radiation to read their minds? I've never seen one of those people listen to reason and say, "Yeah, you know...it's pretty crazy." They just get louder when you challenge their lunacy.

Here's the post:

Not knowing much about his history, I'm taking this thread at face value. I mean, it's odd, but it's almost like he's trying to be Socratic in his approach; answering questions with questions. Can it be frustrating? Yes. But can it also be useful? Certainly.

I'm not saying the guy is an elite philosopher. I'm just saying that, in spite of his indirect manner of conversation, I found what he had to say interesting, and even learned something. That alone should be a point in his favor, even if we're not fans of his style.

Also, he was nice enough to engage me in PM to discuss things further. And even there, I still found him difficult to nail down. But he wasn't confrontational or disrespectful, just different. With all the many threads on so many topics here, considering some of which display flagrant disrespect and outright hostility, are his posts really worthy of a permanent ban?

After being around here for a few years now, I really thought we were more tolerant than that.

Tesseract

Banned
if I started impersonating Alex Jones in that hunger games thread since I was Alex Jones there will I eventually get banned because of that? I've studied that character for weeks.
tenor.gif

200.gif

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I'm guessing you don't remember somerset.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I do not.

Similar case, although his ban took longer to come into play, I think. The guy was basically an off-his-meds rambling lunatic who very rarely engaged in actual discussions and instead chose to spew paragraphs and paragraphs of drivel that sounded enlightened, but ultimately amounted to nothing.

It was entertaining for a while, for sure, but it got old fast.

Catphish

You should. He was an expert on the Fabians and tried to help us understand them better.
A great loss.
Similar case, although his ban took longer to come into play, I think. The guy was basically an off-his-meds rambling lunatic who very rarely engaged in actual discussions and instead chose to spew paragraphs and paragraphs of drivel that sounded enlightened, but ultimately amounted to nothing.

It was entertaining for a while, for sure, but it got old fast.
Understood.

Jtibh

Banned
So @VFXVeteran got in touch with me and asked if I could post this on behalf of him.
I dealt and deal with a lot of very successful very wealthy people .
Lots of good ones lot of crazy ones. Rich people can be very crazy.
And i have to master the art of biting my tongue and go along with a lot of bullshit cuz at the end of the day they pay my bills.
I am not saying i have emotinal intelligence or i can hide my thoughts all the time. But i got much better with my poker face over the years.

Vfx to me based on what i gather has no people skills. He may be introvert he may be a very private person but he just doesnt know how to read and deal with people.

He has a long but very long history of alienating people around him.
He got banned from reee which means nothing and he got banned several times here.
Most people hate him.
Most people are sick of him.

He can complain and yell he is misunderstod or that gaf is all sony pony and no one can have an intelligent conversation with him etc.

But a man is judged by his actions.

So vfx. Instead of expecting hundreds of thousands of members to change how about you show us that you can change???
Cuz if you continue to jump into all the sony threads to only comment how that game will be better and best on pc and then cry sony peeps beat your ass there is no future for you here and you will be hated forever.

Its not the message its your delivery that is the biggest problem i see all the time.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Not knowing much about his history, I'm taking this thread at face value. I mean, it's odd, but it's almost like he's trying to be Socratic in his approach; answering questions with questions. Can it be frustrating? Yes. But can it also be useful? Certainly.

I'm not saying the guy is an elite philosopher. I'm just saying that, in spite of his indirect manner of conversation, I found what he had to say interesting, and even learned something. That alone should be a point in his favor, even if we're not fans of his style.

Also, he was nice enough to engage me in PM to discuss things further. And even there, I still found him difficult to nail down. But he wasn't confrontational or disrespectful, just different. With all the many threads on so many topics here, considering some of which display flagrant disrespect and outright hostility, are his posts really worthy of a permanent ban?

After being around here for a few years now, I really thought we were more tolerant than that.
Okay, I studied philosophy and religions in college years ago. Not my major but just a side-study. His posts might just seem like conspiracy ramblings but what he's preaching has a name and it's dangerous to some people. The name for what he's preaching is hyper-charismatic dominionism. HCD's (such as -- "Kansas City Prophets" "Toronta Airport Blessing" "Branch Davidians" "Peoples Temple"). The belief asserts that modern society, politics, all other religions are part of a master conspiracy and you (the member of HCD) are a little god who is one of few who understands all or "the truth." It's a type of low-level brainwashing which is degenerate and has no value to an internet Gaming Forum. How were past HCD's dangerous? Jim Jones was a dominionist and so was David Koresh. Where are those guys today?

Here's the truth: NeoGAF is primarily a Gaming Forum and not a soapbox to be distributing cult propaganda.

Catphish

Okay, I studied philosophy and religions in college years ago. Not my major but just a side-study. His posts might just seem like conspiracy ramblings but what he's preaching has a name and it's dangerous to some people. The name for what he's preaching is hyper-charismatic dominionism. HCD's (such as -- "Kansas City Prophets" "Toronta Airport Blessing" "Branch Davidians" "Peoples Temple"). The belief asserts that modern society, politics, all other religions are part of a master conspiracy and you (the member of HCD) are a little god who is one of few who understands all or "the truth." It's a type of low-level brainwashing which is degenerate and has no value to an internet Gaming Forum. How were past HCD's dangerous? Jim Jones was a dominionist and so was David Koresh. Where are those guys today?

Here's the truth: NeoGAF is primarily a Gaming Forum and not a soapbox to be distributing cult propaganda.
Fair enough.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Fascinating. I just assumed he was crazy. Well... he is, lol, but that casts it in a bit of a different light.

Might explain why he's interchangeable with a few others I've met, from Somerset, to someone I know in real life.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

I think he was either intentionally trolling or genuinely delusional and needs psychiatric treatment. I don’t see a possible middle ground looking at his last thread and remembering some of his previous posts.

tryDEATH

Quick question to the mods in regards to all the bans/suspensions that happened due the single digit number we shall not utter, what happens if the alleged leaks actually end up being relatively close to the systems real life performance. Are they going to get unbanned, get an apology, or you guys take responsibility for acting and taking a stance to hastily around a issue that clearly isn't as clear cut as it is being presented. Also I am not talking about the clear trolls, that just throw the number around, but more so the people that bring up the number in general discussion where its being placed under the assumption just like the multitude of assumptions that many make about Xbox with out 100% proof to back their assumption.

We can already calculate and know for a fact that a decrease of 2.724% in performance will drop the system into single digits, the only thing we don't know for certain is how low it can go. The only official word is that it can fluctuate a "couple" of percent, which has subjective meaning as there isn't a definite meaning of the word couple in the context it was used as is evident by even Meriam-Webster. It only needs to drop around 10% to hit the figures in the alleged leaks.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Quick question to the mods in regards to all the bans/suspensions that happened due the single digit number we shall not utter, what happens if the alleged leaks actually end up being relatively close to the systems real life performance. Are they going to get unbanned, get an apology, or you guys take responsibility for acting and taking a stance to hastily around a issue that clearly isn't as clear cut as it is being presented. Also I am not talking about the clear trolls, that just throw the number around, but more so the people that bring up the number in general discussion where its being placed under the assumption just like the multitude of assumptions that many make about Xbox with out 100% proof to back their assumption.

We can already calculate and know for a fact that a decrease of 2.724% in performance will drop the system into single digits, the only thing we don't know for certain is how low it can go. The only official word is that it can fluctuate a "couple" of percent, which has subjective meaning as there isn't a definite meaning of the word couple in the context it was used as is evident by even Meriam-Webster. It only needs to drop around 10% to hit the figures in the alleged leaks.

Okay, so anything regarding a possible genuine leak would need to be posted according to the OP in this thread by Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights --->

If not, then the mods clearly state that it's a perm. You say "alleged leaks." What does alleged mean according to Merriam-Webster:

If you're trying to put that word into numbers, it's never going to come close to 99%. Use it in other contexts --allegedly banned from NeoGAF, allegedly leaked misinformation, or allegedly created a troll thread. The site seems to run on absolutes which are proven causes and not "maybe / maybe nots." They are or they aren't...it is or it isn't. Goodness, man.

You're talking like a song from 'the Lion King'...

Jtibh

Banned

Write the number in a thread.
Get banned.
Once it turns out to be true you will gwt unbanned.
If not you will stay banned.

I dare you

Yeah I was having a debate with someone and mentioned the secret number, and how it would only take a few percent points to achieve that special number. I got banned, and would love for it to be removed if this is proven to be factual.

Merriam Webster does not support a "couple" meaning 10.

The moderating needs to chill out. I only troll people who assert things without facts. Otherwise I usually post what I think and my reasons for thinking them.

I don’t see how it’s okay for people to speculate based on nothing and I’m not allowed to make fun of them for speculating on nothing.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Merriam Webster does not support a "couple" meaning 10.

Yah wth. A couple is literally two lol

2: PAIR, BRACE
3: something that joins or links two things together

It does say

4: an indefinite small number : FEW (but FEW is obviously meant to be used)

A 'couple' meaning 10 is the crazy thing there :eek:

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Yah wth. A couple is literally two lol

2: PAIR, BRACE
3: something that joins or links two things together

It does say

4: an indefinite small number : FEW (but FEW is obviously meant to be used)

A 'couple' meaning 10 is the crazy thing there :eek:
It's part of the new math

A couple + 0 = 10

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's part of the new math

A couple + 0 = 10

It's called, Mathfudmatics. Gotta streeeeeeeetttttch it to fit the AEN from one camp. Which still cracks me up, "What if it drops to 9.95TFs, hurr durr nInE tErRaFlOp bOx!" Point 95 is now the new rounding down to 9.0 in the fanaticunt world of gaming.

Maths is hard.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I didn't claim or insinuate that it did, but again you're taking words completely out of context, color me surprised.

A+ for effort though (y)
There is no special math formula for leaks or system specs that's going to get users banned. If someone was talking about 10TFS for PS5 and 12TFS for XBOX X constructively with fact-based content to support their "math" they wouldn't get banned. The reason so many of those are bans is because you can read a post talking about "the numbers" and it's really not about "the numbers." It's trolling on the grounds of: my brand is better than your brand. Many here have mentioned already that when you start doing that in threads -- those who are reading for the excitement for off-put from reading some idiot derailing with their sentiments toward brand loyalty. You still never clarified what the hell you were talking about in the first post either. Leaks? Teraflops? Online dictionary definitions? Be direct if you want mods to read it and reply.

Read these recent posts which got Jon Neu temp banned and tell us it sounds like he jumped into that thread with the intent to talk about "the number" and not..."my plastic box will be better than yours."

-Arcadia-

Banned
Bush did 9/11. Cerny did 9.2 Teraflops.

If I’m wrong, the world isn’t flat.

Come at me, Gaf.

In seriousness, this reaction is a little bit silly. We’ve been walked through an absolutely extensive presentation, with specific technical details so sky high, they were well above my head. The workings of the PS5 have been exposed, belabored upon, and even released on a spec sheet.

Additionally, that was a developer presentation that we only saw due to Corona.

Do really you think Sony is lying to developers about what to expect, when they develop games for their console?

To offer my opinion, I’m surprised at how heavily it’s moderated. That doesn’t have to be a bad thing, but it’s just surprising. That said, is there really any reason to be saying it at all?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Bush did 9/11. Cerny did 9.2 Teraflops.

If I’m wrong, the world isn’t flat.

Come at me, Gaf.

In seriousness, this reaction is a little bit silly. We’ve been walked through an absolutely extensive presentation, with specific technical details so sky high, they were well above my head. The workings of the PS5 have been exposed, belabored upon, and even released on a spec sheet.

Additionally, that was a developer presentation that we only saw due to Corona.

Do really you think Sony is lying to developers about what to expect, when they develop games for their console?

To offer my opinion, I’m surprised at how heavily it’s moderated. That doesn’t have to be a bad thing, but it’s just surprising. That said, is there really any reason to be saying it at all?
Probably not much else to be said. If the posts and threads can stick to what's been put in print and is official (with resources included), it makes for more enjoyable reading in Gaming. A few speculation threads every now and then aren't bad but half the threads end up becoming speculation. It always seems like an open door for the console warriors when a new speculation thread is made.

tryDEATH

There is no special math formula for leaks or system specs that's going to get users banned. If someone was talking about 10TFS for PS5 and 12TFS for XBOX X constructively with fact-based content to support their "math" they wouldn't get banned. The reason so many of those are bans is because you can read a post talking about "the numbers" and it's really not about "the numbers." It's trolling on the grounds of: my brand is better than your brand. Many here have mentioned already that when you start doing that in threads -- those who are reading for the excitement for off-put from reading some idiot derailing with their sentiments toward brand loyalty. You still never clarified what the hell you were talking about in the first post either. Leaks? Teraflops? Online dictionary definitions? Be direct if you want mods to read it and reply.

Read these recent posts which got Jon Neu temp banned and tell us it sounds like he jumped into that thread with the intent to talk about "the number" and not..."my plastic box will be better than yours."

From what point to you think they are boosting to 10.3TF? Do you believe they are boosting the TF from 10TF to 10.3TF or from a lower point, which is in the single digits? It would make no sense for them to boost a systems overall performance by just 2.7x%.

And how is anything Jon said so inflammatory that its worthy of a ban, only assumption he made is about the yields, the most logical reality is that the system is being boosted from a single digit to the 10.3TF.

From what point to you think they are boosting to 10.3TF? Do you believe they are boosting the TF from 10TF to 10.3TF or from a lower point, which is in the single digits? It would make no sense for them to boost a systems overall performance by just 2.7x%.

And how is anything Jon said so inflammatory that its worthy of a ban, only assumption he made is about the yields, the most logical reality is that the system is being boosted from a single digit to the 10.3TF.

9.5-9.9 would round up to 10, in order to call it a "9 TFlop machine" you would need to prove it spends the majority of the time BELOW 9.5 Tflops.

Ornlu

Banned
I'm not one to wade into gaming hardware spec threads....but the mods are probably just sick of having 1,000,000,000 posts about the same fake shit to sift thru, and decided to put out a blanket ban for all of it. None of that shit really matters at all until the consoles are in the (sweaty-palmed) hands of consumers. Then people can try to dunk all over each other about w/e.

Why it's the One Argument To Rule Them All, I will never know. It was probably the same back in the day with people scrapping about SNES/Genesis, but we didn't really have gaming forums to sperg out on.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

I don't see how that context fits in with the ban / justice review thread; but, I'm not playing the numbers game with you or anyone else on GAF. If you have proven sources to back up this information which you feel is so important...why not create a thread to defend it. Keyword is proof. If the numbers are based on your math, someone else's math, or whatever the hell that mess was you typed up yesterday...then it's speculation and not fact. I really don't see why the numbers matter. Will it affect what consoles members here choose to purchase during launch? Will it convince people who are brand dedicated to change their views? Will it decrease the retention in thread derailment and console warring? Pretty sure it won't.

Did you read all of Jon's posts before he got banned or just the one linked? Scroll down a bit and it's clear that he's not just talking numbers. That ban was justifiable.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm not one to wade into gaming hardware spec threads....but the mods are probably just sick of having 1,000,000,000 posts about the same fake shit to sift thru, and decided to put out a blanket ban for all of it. None of that shit really matters at all until the consoles are in the (sweaty-palmed) hands of consumers. Then people can try to dunk all over each other about w/e.

Why it's the One Argument To Rule Them All, I will never know. It was probably the same back in the day with people scrapping about SNES/Genesis, but we didn't really have gaming forums to sperg out on.
Bingo! That is the correct answer!

tryDEATH

9.5-9.9 would round up to 10, in order to call it a "9 TFlop machine" you would need to prove it spends the majority of the time BELOW 9.5 Tflops.

We don't know where it will be, I don't think it will be that in the lower half of the single digit, but the way Jon worded his reply makes it clear that he doesn't know either and only that it was boosted from somewhere in the single digit range, which is an acceptable generality for something you are uncertain about.

Jtibh

Banned
The bottom line is xboxers are the ones to mention 9tf just to poke fun of soyny .

Its done on purpose cuz otherwise they have no leg to stand on.

We play games not tflops.

pawel86ck

Banned

I love my all gaming platforms but I really dont understand why some people including mods are so sensitive to PS5 clock speculations. I'm banned permanently from next gen spwculation thead because I have quoted Cerny and write my speculation based on what he said😀. But I'm happy I got permanent ban from next gen thread, because I have realize now I was only wasting my time there anyway. It's not like you will find reasonable people there😀.

Last edited:
I love my all gaming platforms but I really dont understand why some people including mods are so sensitive to PS5 clock speculations. I'm banned permanently from next gen spwculation thead because I have quoted Cerny and write my speculation based on what he said😀. But I'm happy I got permanent ban from next gen thread, because I have realize now I was only wasting my time there anyway. It's not like you will find reasonanle people there😀.
OK Craig :D

I love my all gaming platforms but I really dont understand why some people including mods are so sensitive to PS5 clock speculations. I'm banned permanently from next gen spwculation thead because I have quoted Cerny and write my speculation based on what he said😀. But I'm happy I got permanent ban from next gen thread, because I have realize now I was only wasting my time there anyway. It's not like you will find reasonable people there😀.
The crazy part is, with my ban, I even referred to how it wouldn't affect just Sony, but Xbox and PC as well. 12.2TF, 10.3TF, 35.8TF is with all things being in a perfect scenario, otherwise each gpu will fall below those stated numbers. I'm not sure why they are so protective of the Sony brand, yet everyone can call people xbots, Xbox has no games, Craig memes, constant trolling the Nintendo and especially PC threads, etc. I don't even entertain it. But hopefully DF or someone comes to uplift our previous ban, and set the record straight.

On the other hand, that speculation thread is literally one sided. It'll be funny to revisit when next gen consoles release, and you see how much denial there is after DF or *insert name here*, do their comparcomparisons. So much crow to be eaten in the upcoming months.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

If you haven't figured it out by now, it's done for principal- the ban messages make that clear if you read them detached from the petty fight. None of us on the staff are emotionally attached, hence why it's easy to spot those that are- in here when they come to whine about it, and in the threads they use for their ardent warrior bait.

In the end- Atari VCS > than all you plebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom