• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I scored an unreal deal this week on craigslist. A guy had an ad for a Sony a7ii with two lenses for $1500. Just for the heck of it I asked if he would trade for a Macbook or a Phantom 4 I have, he was interested in the 4. I bought the 4 used for $450 and gave the guy $150 cash with the Phantom 4 so I am in the bundle $600! Come to find out on of the lenses is a very expensive Sony Ziess 16-35mm that is around $1000 by itself on amazon! The other lens is a 28-70 Sony lens. I have messed around with the camera the last couple days and it is nice, it has a metal frame mounted on the outside of the body, i am not sure what it is for. I can not get the wifi transfer to work with my phone, it just says connecting and does nothing. I see the camera has nfc but I do not see a way to use that with my phone to transfer pics

Damn, what a steal!

I really want that lens 16-35mm lens!

f0lken

The photo thread didn't survive. I jus want to apologize to MRORANGE because I had this thread in cache and copy-pasted the OP in S L A E N T for a thread there because I didn't think this thread would ever return (I know I won't, I am just here collecting the most useful posts for me). I have like 7 post here but you have been really helpful with your knowledge and advise here so thank you all. And hopefully I see some of you there in slaent

my twitter is @wryphotography

but i plan on replicating what we had here.

Everything you've done here is very appreciated and I hope that we can continue as we have been.

Photography GAF disappearing was the biggest thing that bummed me out over the weekend. I'm not the most active poster in these threads, but I owe a lot of my inspiration and growth as a photographer to the people that frequent these threads, and I think I really took that for granted.

Surfheart

Everything you've done here is very appreciated and I hope that we can continue as we have been.

Photography GAF disappearing was the biggest thing that bummed me out over the weekend. I'm not the most active poster in these threads, but I owe a lot of my inspiration and growth as a photographer to the people that frequent these threads, and I think I really took that for granted.

Same.. hope it comes back at some point.

peetfeet

Just came in to ask about the photography thread, but I see above that all is in hand, great stuff. I barely posted in it at all but regularly visited for inspiration. I shall try to make more of an effort to contribute in the future, cheers all.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'll miss the filmmaking threads for sure.

I'm out of here, though. The volume of toxic posting has gotten out of hand. The inability to share links is even worse... and that's all on top of Tyler himself.

I'm out. Requesting a deletion today. I'd share my Twitter handle but I'm worried about the usual internet hostility.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'll miss the filmmaking threads for sure.

I'm out of here, though. The volume of toxic posting has gotten out of hand. The inability to share links is even worse... and that's all on top of Tyler himself.

I'm out. Requesting a deletion today. I'd share my Twitter handle but I'm worried about the usual internet hostility.

send me a pm with your twitter ill let you know when the new threads are up.

The Sony a7riii was just announced. Pretty disappointed that they continue to postpone the a7iii. The r variant looks sweet but I really don't need that many megapixels.

Stronty

My friend is looking for a camera to take excellent close up pictures of action figures and toys, he says the MACRO function on his current camera doesn't perform very well. I'm thinking he is more into point And shoot rather than DSLR. Any recommendations?

Crazyorloco

i'm looking forward to reading about the a7riii. I probably won't get it, but I love reading about cameras/photography as much as gaming. Glad to see we're back here.

I scored an unreal deal this week on craigslist. A guy had an ad for a Sony a7ii with two lenses for $1500. Just for the heck of it I asked if he would trade for a Macbook or a Phantom 4 I have, he was interested in the 4. I bought the 4 used for $450 and gave the guy $150 cash with the Phantom 4 so I am in the bundle $600! Come to find out on of the lenses is a very expensive Sony Ziess 16-35mm that is around $1000 by itself on amazon! The other lens is a 28-70 Sony lens. I have messed around with the camera the last couple days and it is nice, it has a metal frame mounted on the outside of the body, i am not sure what it is for. I can not get the wifi transfer to work with my phone, it just says connecting and does nothing. I see the camera has nfc but I do not see a way to use that with my phone to transfer pics

That's odd. When you put on wifi on your phone do you see the camera name displayed?

On my Sony Alpha a6500, I initiate the connection from the camera first, by choosing select images on the smartphone, then I look at the PlayMemories mobile app on my phone and it usually links up quick. Hope works for you. That's one of the best features I love about these cameras. I enjoy not having to remove the memory card and posting images quickly.

You got a great deal with the camera and the lens. I'm thinking about getting a Zeiss lens myself soon...gotta save for those though lol

Ty4on

expired again

funny thing about forum situation, I got to spend more time photographing 😯

I got quite busy following other places and had less time than normal lol

The sun is finally out though so I got to shoot a bit yesterday. It's been so gray and rainy here these last few weeks.

FoxSpirit

Damn, just found a major drawback with Fuji: no OIS on all their primes nor inbody sensor versions and a much more limited 3rd party support.

Seriously, my most wanted feature is night time city shots, freehand. Without OIS I'll need 1/150 even with a fairly wide/open lens. That means high iso which again equals noise :-(

FoxSpirit

Man, it's dead in here. Still, for the people still poszing, got my Fuji X-E2 + 18-55mm/2.8-4.0 kit and it's glorious. For 900 bucks that's some pretty ace capabilities. Still gotta get screen pritector and case to carry around but it's pretty light.

Next will be a prime, not sure which yet. Something fast. Which means expensive. For the next half year the 18-55 will be the work horse and I feel pretty good about it.

snaffles

Man, it's dead in here. Still, for the people still poszing, got my Fuji X-E2 + 18-55mm/2.8-4.0 kit and it's glorious. For 900 bucks that's some pretty ace capabilities. Still gotta get screen pritector and case to carry around but it's pretty light.

Next will be a prime, not sure which yet. Something fast. Which means expensive. For the next half year the 18-55 will be the work horse and I feel pretty good about it.

I had been looking at getting an X-E2 or similar to replace my Olympus EPL-5, can't decide if I want to go that route or get a compact like Canon G7x MKii, Sony rx series etc.

FoxSpirit

I had been looking at getting an X-E2 or similar to replace my Olympus EPL-5, can't decide if I want to go that route or get a compact like Canon G7x MKii, Sony rx series etc.
Well, it's size vs quality. While the 18-55 isn't huge, it isn't small either. You can go very small/light if you get a prime but then you loose the zoom capabilities.
At least the weight of the whole system is really good so you don't have to consider that.

snaffles

Well, it's size vs quality. While the 18-55 isn't huge, it isn't small either. You can go very small/light if you get a prime but then you loose the zoom capabilities.
At least the weight of the whole system is really good so you don't have to consider that.

Yeah that is kind of the pull. I just don't think I care enough about the image quality and value the portability and zoom range more. I still have another camera that I use for more wildlife photos but I just want something I can throw in my pocket.

BrianMib

Banned
Frontline employees are immersed in the day-to-day details of particular technologies, products, or markets. No one is more learned in the realities of a society's problem than they are. But while these employees are deluged with tremendously spelt info, they at the same time again texture it exceptionally urgent to curdle that perception into effective knowledge. After united id‚e fixe, signals from the marketplace can be clouded and ambiguous. For the purpose another, employees can prayer so caught up in their own incommodious perspective that they over of vision of the broader context.

The more holistic parallel with to data at immeasurable Japanese companies is also founded on another constitutional insight. A loop is not a motor transport but a living organism. Much like an one, it can sup a collective sense of uniqueness and principal purpose. This is the organizational contract of self-knowledge—a shared acquaintance of what the associates stands in place of, where it is occupied, what benevolent of annulus it wants to palpable in, and, most respected, how to get that pack a reality.

Nonaka and Takeuchi are arguing that creating intelligence gone haywire expand the opener to sustaining a competitive dominance in the future. Because the competitive ecosystem and chap preferences changes constantly, estimation perishes quickly. With The Knowledge-Creating Assemblage, managers be struck by means of at their fingertips years of perspicacity from Japanese firms that ventilate how to design outline continuously, and how to take advantage of it to beat it famed unheard of products, services, and systems .

dcll

Banned
i'm looking forward to reading about the a7riii. I probably won't get it, but I love reading about cameras/photography as much as gaming. Glad to see we're back here.

That's odd. When you put on wifi on your phone do you see the camera name displayed?

On my Sony Alpha a6500, I initiate the connection from the camera first, by choosing select images on the smartphone, then I look at the PlayMemories mobile app on my phone and it usually links up quick. Hope works for you. That's one of the best features I love about these cameras. I enjoy not having to remove the memory card and posting images quickly.

You got a great deal with the camera and the lens. I'm thinking about getting a Zeiss lens myself soon...gotta save for those though lol

Oh I dont have any app installed, I thought it would send them over like a bluetooth transfer. I ended up trading the a7ii for a 6500 body since it was a little smaller and does 4k video

TFGB

Got my new toy today!

BpZXwww.jpg

Just waiting on the battery grip and a 128GB Sony XQD card. Hopefully won't be too long to arrive.

Saturnman

Banned
A dumb question, what is the point of DSLR cameras these days? Aren't mirror less cameras better in all areas?

Congratulations! :)

No.

Much better native lens selection with DSLR's, at least FF DSLRs, with strong third-party support to boot.

While bodies are competitively priced, mirrorless tends to be pricier as a whole system. Economy of scale favors DSLR's, particularly the lower end.

While usually heavier, ergonomics are often better with DSLR's with plenty of room for external controls. Making something smaller, while more portable, doesn't necessarily make it more usable.

There's a radical difference in battery life. The OVF is a key power-saving component.

Some people prefer composing shots with an OVF over an EVF/LCD.

DSLR's usually still have the edge on continuous AF and subject tracking. The gap is narrowing, but not enough for now.

Looking for some advice. I currently shoot with a Canon 450D but im looking to upgrade to something a bit more pro. What do you guys recommend, ive currently been looking at the Canon 7D mk2 and the Canon 80D.

I generally shoot street, portrait, landscape, holidays etc. I dont tend to any sports or nature really.

So far it would seem the 80d is the better fit, due to wifi/weight/screen articulation/better colour. The thing that is stopping me at the moment is the 7D has a better buffer, better FPS and more focus points. So before i purchase i want to be sure and get some advice, especially if there is something else out there that would suit my needs more.

A dumb question, what is the point of DSLR cameras these days? Aren't mirror less cameras better in all areas?
VLTTP, but one big advantage of DSLRs that Saturnman missed is the larger sensor size of even the APS-sized senors, let alone the full-frame sensors.

Also, personal preference, but I can't stand the focus by wire of mirrorless cameras (and Canon's STM lenses.) Sensors, battery life, controls, lens selection, accessory availability, OVF (especially with a live view option,) and mechanical focusing keep me happily in the DSLR camp. The only benefit I see with mirrorless is size and that is like last on my list of requirements.

Looking for some advice. I currently shoot with a Canon 450D but im looking to upgrade to something a bit more pro. What do you guys recommend, ive currently been looking at the Canon 7D mk2 and the Canon 80D.

I generally shoot street, portrait, landscape, holidays etc. I dont tend to any sports or nature really.

So far it would seem the 80d is the better fit, due to wifi/weight/screen articulation/better colour. The thing that is stopping me at the moment is the 7D has a better buffer, better FPS and more focus points. So before i purchase i want to be sure and get some advice, especially if there is something else out there that would suit my needs more.
For your use case the 80D sounds better, although I would actually suggest looking in to the 6D Mk II as a step up in to full frame sensors unless you have EF-S lenses you rely on. And man, your 450D is making me nostalgic for my ancient 400D that got stolen a few years ago.

VLTTP, but one big advantage of DSLRs that Saturnman missed is the larger sensor size of even the APS-sized senors, let alone the full-frame sensors.

Also, personal preference, but I can't stand the focus by wire of mirrorless cameras (and Canon's STM lenses.) Sensors, battery life, controls, lens selection, accessory availability, OVF (especially with a live view option,) and mechanical focusing keep me happily in the DSLR camp. The only benefit I see with mirrorless is size and that is like last on my list of requirements.

For your use case the 80D sounds better, although I would actually suggest looking in to the 6D Mk II as a step up in to full frame sensors unless you have EF-S lenses you rely on. And man, your 450D is making me nostalgic for my ancient 400D that got stolen a few years ago.

Interesting, but the 6D has a slower fastest shutter speed and no built in flash. I am hoping to go backpacking so i was hoping to have everything in a single unit. ill still go play on them over the next few weeks.

Interesting, but the 6D has a slower fastest shutter speed and no built in flash. I am hoping to go backpacking so i was hoping to have everything in a single unit. ill still go play on them over the next few weeks.
1/4000 can freeze a hummingbird's wings in flight, what use case did you not list that requires 1/8000? As for the on-body flash, I thought street photographers tended to avoid any lighting to keep a low profile, portraiture is better with off-camera lighting, and landscape... well yeah...

Don't just hunt for the best specs, hunt for the best specs that you'll use.

Don't just hunt for the best specs, hunt for the best specs that you'll use.

haha fair enough at the shutter speed.

Whilst I don't tend to use flash very often, I'm hoping to go backpacking towards the end of the year, so i feel just having an inbuilt would be handy.

Appreciate the help, i am hunting down the best camera for me on what i'll use, which i thought was the 80D but after speaking to a photographer friend he suggested the 7D mk2, and you recommended the 6D - so really at this point it is just a case of minor spec differences and what will be best value for money with a decent amount of longevity in use. Hence the struggle :/

I think at this point i really just gotta go play and see which feels best in my hand etc

Appreciate the help, i am hunting down the best camera for me on what i'll use, which i thought was the 80D but after speaking to a photographer friend he suggested the 7D mk2, and you recommended the 6D - so really at this point it is just a case of minor spec differences and what will be best value for money with a decent amount of longevity in use. Hence the struggle :/
Honestly, it sounds like the 80D is probably what you want, I just mentioned the 6D because you said you wanted to go a bit more pro and FF is what a lot of people mean when they say that. It's also a lot newer than the 7D and has MOR MEGAPIXULS!!! :)