• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

Yeah I keep hearing this. On another note how long do flashes tend to last for you guys? I had mine for about a year and a half and now have to replace mine because of gravity.

Well I would suppose it all depends on how susceptible you are to succumbing to gravity, really.

Well I would suppose it all depends on how susceptible you are to succumbing to gravity, really.
It fell like 4 times in an hour because it was on top of a flash stand with an umbrella. I weighed it down, but the wind still took it twice and then it fell two more times because the stand it was on was too loose and it just fell off while I was changing the batteries.
d3b.png

It fell like 4 times in an hour because it was on top of a flash stand with an umbrella. I weighed it down, but the wind still took it twice and then it fell two more times because the stand it was on was too loose and it just fell off while I was changing the batteries.

Legit, one of the frames from that chapter is why I started reading JoJo.

z3phon

Tony Northrup's Youtube page has lots of good beginner guides in it. He also goes into more advanced stuff in separate videos (and I don't necessarily agree with his approach to certain aspects of the technical stuff in the advanced videos), but the beginner stuff is great, and is an easy to digest guide to the basics.
Thanks ill check his page out.

Reckoner

I was going to buy a used X-E2 and a 23mm lens, but then it hit me that for less I can get a X100S/T with the same lens and for even cheaper. Would it be a good start on a budget?

I would buy a interchangeable lens Fuji camera later, ofc. I'm thinking of the X100S/T as a starting point and then I would buy something even better than the X-E2.

I was going to buy a used X-E2 and a 23mm lens, but then it hit me that for less I can get a X100S/T with the same lens and for even cheaper. Would it be a good start on a budget?

I would buy a interchangeable lens Fuji camera later, ofc. I'm thinking of the X100S/T as a starting point and then I would buy something even better than the X-E2.
For cheap yes. The XT1 is also good but might not be in your budget.

Zyzyxxz

I can get a XT1 for the same price of the X100T, but without lens.

I just sold my X100 and moved onto a XT-1. I was thinking of saving for an XE-3 but I'd rather invest in lenses and the XT-1 is still a really capable body.

Down the line I would love to buy an X100F though.

Great. Now I'm looking at the godox for Sony. Ttl would be really awesome to have tbh, and would save me a metric fuckton of time when I do portraits. It also seems to have a hotshoe on it's receiver so I could Daisy chain my existing Yongnuo flash for secondary lighting. Hrmmmmm.

I can get a XT1 for the same price of the X100T, but without lens.
This new or used? You can find XT1's in like the 400 range at times if you're lucky.
Great. Now I'm looking at the godox for Sony. Ttl would be really awesome to have tbh, and would save me a metric fuckton of time when I do portraits. It also seems to have a hotshoe on it's receiver so I could Daisy chain my existing Yongnuo flash for secondary lighting. Hrmmmmm.
With TTL practically being mandatory for events and it also coming with a transmitter that allows me to change flash settings from a good chunk of feet away I pretty much had to get it. If I ever get a soft box umbrella that's going to make changing flash settings a lot easier.

Reckoner

This new or used? You can find XT1's in like the 400 range at times if you're lucky.

With TTL practically being mandatory for events and it also coming with a transmitter that allows me to change flash settings from a good chunk of feet away I pretty much had to get it. If I ever get a soft box umbrella that's going to make changing flash settings a lot easier.

Used

I'm still watching some X-E2s on ebay. I see them getting sold at around 250e which would be more than ideal for me

Used

I'm still watching some X-E2s on ebay. I see them getting sold at around 250e which would be more than ideal for me
I would say go for an Xpro 1, but I hear that thing hasn't aged too well. The XE2s shouldn't be that bad, but that's a body style I don't go for.

Reckoner

I would say go for an Xpro 1, but I hear that thing hasn't aged too well. The XE2s shouldn't be that bad, but that's a body style I don't go for.

Yeah I read that the X-Pro 1 is a bit outdated. The X-E2 seems to be a step up, but I'll look into some deals on the pro.

sneaky77

Yeah I read that the X-Pro 1 is a bit outdated. The X-E2 seems to be a step up, but I'll look into some deals on the pro.

The X-E2 is fine for AF in almost any situation, it was my entry into Fuji and I didn't run into significant issues in what I was trying to do, specially after the firmware upgrades.

If you're idea is to get into a system to get lenses, getting the 100T doesn't seem like a great option since that is fixed. If you like the 23mm and that's your main shooting style, then yes it would be a great one.

Yeah, it's just annoying that I have to more or less give up my Yongnuo to get TTL. Big part of why I went with those was the easy and affordable expandability. I mean I guess I can stack receivers but that just seems kind of dumb.

Yeah, it's just annoying that I have to more or less give up my Yongnuo to get TTL. Big part of why I went with those was the easy and affordable expandability. I mean I guess I can stack receivers but that just seems kind of dumb.
The Yongnuo's are probably great if you're in the house not doing anything. I'm not exactly sure how good of a beating they could take from my clumsy ass.

Reckoner

Do you have any other lens aspirations?

Not really, at least for now. 23mm seems to be my sweet spot from what I understood from trying a a6000 with a kit lens.

The X-E2 is fine for AF in almost any situation, it was my entry into Fuji and I didn't run into significant issues in what I was trying to do, specially after the firmware upgrades.

If you're idea is to get into a system to get lenses, getting the 100T doesn't seem like a great option since that is fixed. If you like the 23mm and that's your main shooting style, then yes it would be a great one.

that's basically it. I'll look for the best deal. Maybe will end up getting a X-E2. will see.

Not really, at least for now. 23mm seems to be my sweet spot from what I understood from trying a a6000 with a kit lens.

that's basically it. I'll look for the best deal. Maybe will end up getting a X-E2. will see.
If that's all you want then go for it. I find 35 a bit...way too wide for how I shoot to main it constantly though.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Who has the sigma 18-35 art on a Canon body? I want to get one but keep reading that the autofocus is wildly inaccurate. Reports of this seem to be from several years ago so I don't know if there's people have found a fix or if there's been a firmware update or what's up.

Thinking about the sigma 17-50 2.8 too since it's cheap, but I think the aperture might not be wide enough for lowlight video on my shitty crop sensor. Still better than my current kit lens, I guess.

Both of these are loud and not suitable for continuous autofocus. I could just buy some primes and use digital zooming in software when I want it, but lens switching sucks.

Please advise.

Who has the sigma 18-35 art on a Canon body? I want to get one but keep reading that the autofocus is wildly inaccurate. Reports of this seem to be from several years ago so I don't know if there's people have found a fix or if there's been a firmware update or what's up.

Thinking about the sigma 17-50 2.8 too since it's cheap, but I think the aperture might not be wide enough for lowlight video on my shitty crop sensor. Still better than my current kit lens, I guess.

Both of these are loud and not suitable for continuous autofocus. I could just buy some primes and use digital zooming in software when I want it, but lens switching sucks.

Please advise.
I had both of those and I found the AF to be all over the shop honestly. Sometimes it'd be fine other times it'd just back focus. I ended up getting rid of both and do not miss them. Unless you're using the 18-35 for video work the AF is a pain, especially wide open for both lenses. Those two lenses are pretty much why I'm done with Sigma. The 70-200 wasn't too bad honestly, but the other two lenses are not reliable. I used to use those for events for work and after enough regular use and missing a lot of key shots I was done.

Sup photo gaf, looking to start taking photos of our family trips with a camera better than my phone. We are an active family so I need something on the smaller side that I can take with me everywhere. The purpose of these photos is to choose my favorites to print and frame to decorate our home with or to make "greetings cards" with them if that makes sense. The majority of the photos would be outdoors or at the beach.

1. What is your budget budget?
I'll spend what I need to, I'd be looking to spend around $200 but I know nothing of cameras so if I need to up my budget then that's fine. Or if that's too much feel free tool tell me.
2. Main purpose of the camera?
Family photos on vacation, scenic photos during hikes and beach trips.
3. What form factor is most appealing to you?
Smaller and sturdier.
4. Will you be investing in the camera? (buying more stuff for it later)
If I need to, my kids are old enough for vacations and activities and my wife and I want these memories to feel in the moment if that makes sense.
5. Any cameras you've used before or liked?
Never owned a camera that wasn't attached to a phone.

Thanks!

Sup photo gaf, looking to start taking photos of our family trips with a camera better than my phone. We are an active family so I need something on the smaller side that I can take with me everywhere. The purpose of these photos is to choose my favorites to print and frame to decorate our home with or to make "greetings cards" with them if that makes sense. The majority of the photos would be outdoors or at the beach.

I'll spend what I need to, I'd be looking to spend around $200 but I know nothing of cameras so if I need to up my budget then that's fine. Or if that's too much feel free tool tell me.
Smaller and sturdier.
If I need to, my kids are old enough for vacations and activities and my wife and I want these memories to feel in the moment if that makes sense.

Thanks!
$200? Use your phone.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I had both of those and I found the AF to be all over the shop honestly. Sometimes it'd be fine other times it'd just back focus. I ended up getting rid of both and do not miss them. Unless you're using the 18-35 for video work the AF is a pain, especially wide open for both lenses. Those two lenses are pretty much why I'm done with Sigma. The 70-200 wasn't too bad honestly, but the other two lenses are not reliable. I used to use those for events for work and after enough regular use and missing a lot of key shots I was done.
Was it always a back focus? I.E. something that could possibly be adjusted on camera, or with their USB attachment? I'm okay with spending countless hours adjusting stuff to get it to work, if the focus is consistently off in the same direction. I'm not doing live events, sports, wildlife, or anything like that, so I might be okay with using manual focus all the time, but it's very, very annoying. Especially since I have a degenerative eye disease and I'm always second guessing whether my manual focus is correct on the tiny live view screen.

Seems like my only option with Canon, and not spending like 6k, is to get a few primes (already own the 40mm pancake), and pull out my kit lenses if I desperately need zoom in a video shot where digital zooming just won't work. Not opposed to looking at other systems if I can get good lowlight, good video autofocus, and a good zoom lens without having to save up for a year.

What did you end up replacing the sigma lenses with?

Was it always a back focus? I.E. something that could possibly be adjusted on camera, or with their USB attachment? I'm okay with spending countless hours adjusting stuff to get it to work, if the focus is consistently off in the same direction. I'm not doing live events, sports, wildlife, or anything like that, so I might be okay with using manual focus all the time, but it's very, very annoying. Especially since I have a degenerative eye disease and I'm always second guessing whether my manual focus is correct on the tiny live view screen.

Seems like my only option with Canon, and not spending like 6k, is to get a few primes (already own the 40mm pancake), and pull out my kit lenses if I desperately need zoom in a video shot where digital zooming just won't work. Not opposed to looking at other systems if I can get good lowlight, good video autofocus, and a good zoom lens without having to save up for a year.

What did you end up replacing the sigma lenses with?
I ended up switching to full frame and they got replaced with the Nikon 2.8 24-70. I had to dial in some AF micro adjustments, but they're way more accurate. I couldn't AF fine tune either Sigma lens to save my life. They were almost useless wide open I swear. Stopped down with a flash was the only time the 17-50 was good I swear. I don't know if something got knocked around in my bag or I just never became aware of it until I started looking more closely at what I was taking. You can probably buy Canon's 17-55 and not worry. I sold my D7100 and all Sigma lenses for my XT2. I'm not exactly sure which was at fault there, but I was done with that entire system.

Thraktor

Smaller and sturdier.

Thanks!

$200? Use your phone.

For $200 you could get an older second hand micro four thirds camera with a kit lens. Something like a Panasonic GF3 or Olympus E-PL3, or maybe one of the Sony 3 or 5-series NEX models, or even an EOS M. Not up to the standard of modern mirrorless/DSLR, but should comfortably outperform any phone.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I ended up switching to full frame and they got replaced with the Nikon 2.8 24-70. I had to dial in some AF micro adjustments, but they're way more accurate. I couldn't AF fine tune either Sigma lens to save my life. They were almost useless wide open I swear. Stopped down with a flash was the only time the 17-50 was good I swear. I don't know if something got knocked around in my bag or I just never became aware of it until I started looking more closely at what I was taking. You can probably buy Canon's 17-55 and not worry. I sold my D7100 and all Sigma lenses for my XT2. I'm not exactly sure which was at fault there, but I was done with that entire system.

Just bought the canon 17-55 2.8 on eBay for 400. We'll see how it works out...

jokkir

Just checked my a6000 and the shutter actuations count is already at 40.5k. Any idea how much longer this camera will last? I just got this last year lol :|

Ty4on

Just checked my a6000 and the shutter actuations count is already at 40.5k. Any idea how much longer this camera will last? I just got this last year lol :|
Some cameras were known for hitting 1 million 🙃

I have no idea. Shutter replacement isn't the most expensive repair tho iirc

I'll be shocked if that thing isn't good for at least 150K. I have never checked though. My D810 has to be at that range I would think already.
Just bought the canon 17-55 2.8 on eBay for 400. We'll see how it works out...
That should be good. I just do not trust Sigma AF anymore. Though somebody on here told me it's definitely a lens by lens case.

Enthusiast level gear is usually rated for 100k actuations average before first failure. Doesn't mean yours will fail at that point, just that you'll be past the point where they usually start dying.

Pro Nikon bodies are build pretty solidly, in my experience. Hell, my D700 has over 300K, and still works fine.
Yeah the pro line up is solid. Somebody on facebook group of wedding photographer has a D4 above 350K I think. My D810 takes whatever I throw at it, I'm not worried, I'm just surprised I use it as much as I do.

Hi. I found a new D500 body for $950 at Target and I'm looking for a lens in the $300-$500 range. I typically shoot outdoor family portraits. Any ideas?

Hi. I found a new D500 body for $950 at Target and I'm looking for a lens in the $300-$500 range. I typically shoot outdoor family portraits. Any ideas?
Do you want to reread those numbers or did somebody give you an illegal deal on an $1700 camera? Try finding Tamron's pre VC 17-50.

Yeah. It was one of those impulse purchases. I'm happy with my sony A57 and my old Minolta lenses, but want to give the D500 a spin.
That's a very very good deal for that camera, should just keep it regardless because it's probably never going to be at that price ever again.