• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #154 - "Interlude"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme - "Interlude"

Word Limit: 2222

Submission Deadline: Friday, October 17th by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, October 18th and goes until Monday, October 20th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Optional Secondary Objective: something different

Fall is here, change is in the air. Do something different with your writing. Maybe you usually outline and would like to try winging it. Maybe you typically write scifi and want to try a literary story. Or maybe you want to change up your usual themes or style. Think about what you would find fun and/or challenging, and maybe tell us what you're going to try out so people can take it into account in crits/comments. Or who knows, maybe you'll get some useful tips!

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

I came in 2nd again! poor me, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. lol

anyway maybe I'll try comedy since I rarely write that. I don't know.

Nezumi

Hmm... I guess it would be something different for me to write a story with no fantastical element whatsoever.

Cyan

Banned
I came in 2nd again! poor me, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. lol
Seriously, dude! But I'm pretty sure that used to happen to Mike M a lot before he went on a tear and started frustratingly winning all the time. :)

anyway maybe I'll try comedy since I rarely write that. I don't know.
I had a good time doing comedy for the last challenge. My goal was to do an Ourobolus. :p

I think my goal for this one is going to be to do an Ashes. By which I mean writing something with more serious themes, that is about people more than plot, where the characters have real problems and lives and feel like people.

Ashes has encouraged me to try writing that kind of thing for a long time, but honestly the thought of even attempting it is kind of terrifying. Characters are not my strong suit at all, and I'm not that good at writing to serious themes.

But that's why they say you should shoot for the moon, because even if you miss you'll reenter the earth's atmosphere, burn up, and die.

Mike M

Nick N
Seriously, dude! But I'm pretty sure that used to happen to Mike M a lot before he went on a tear and started frustratingly winning all the time. :)
It seems cyclical. I rack up a run of second place finishes, then a couple wins, then I barely win any votes for a while.

Something different, eh? Hmmmm...

Zweizer

Banned
Pretty interesting themes. I guess I'll give Charade a break this time. This should cover both pretty nicely.

Just kidding.

Ourobolus

Banned
Hm, something different? Well that rules out comedy or being dismal.

Guess I could do some romance or horror? Or both?

Ashes

Banned
I think I will do an interlude between the last theme and my departure to NaNoWriMo land.
A brief play comes to mind. I don't think I'd like to write a full on script. Though I liked what WB27 did in the last thread.

Charade

Just kidding.

What did I do to deserve this!

But uh, as for the secondary. Hmmm. I was actually thinking about this a while ago sorta. Things to make my writing less stale. All my stories so far (except the resume one) have been third person, italic thoughts. Maybe I'll try first person this time.

Not sure what something different would entail in my case (though sci-fi and fantasy is out of the question :p.)

I might try my hand at horror.

theWB27

I usually only do scripts and have never written book form...I'm going to try that. I've gotten so used to condensing my descriptions into a few sentences and getting right to the point...this is a lil tad bit daunting. I've also winged my last two entries so I may do a little more planning..idk...I thought winging was fun.

May try comedy....only have a tv pilot written in that genre. Also, I got 4 votes last entry. Yay...........me.

Mike M

Nick N
Not sure what to do to to do something different. My previous entries have run the gamut of most genres (but I won't pretend I don't tilt heavily toward spec fic most of the time), I've done scripts and transcripts before... I want to something actually *different* rather than just "not the usual thing."

Charade

Not sure what to do to to do something different. My previous entries have run the gamut of most genres (but I won't pretend I don't tilt heavily toward spec fic most of the time), I've done scripts and transcripts before... I want to something actually *different* rather than just "not the usual thing."

An audiobook!

Er, audioshortstory

Ergodic literature!

Zweizer

Banned
What did I do to deserve this!

Don't try to act innocent with me!

Maybe you should try to emulate James Joyce this time!

Ainsz

congrats Cyan. Another good theme.

I've got an idea for this; gonna put more planning into it this time round. For something different, I'm hoping this will be kind of different in general.

Cyan

Banned
Oh, and as usual we will have a Google+ hangout this coming Sunday at 2-4 PM Pacific time, where people can chat and work on their stories.

Mike M

Nick N
Oh, and as usual we will have a Google+ hangout this coming Sunday at 2-4 PM Pacific time, where people can chat and work on their stories.
Yeah, I probably won't be there for that again : (

On the upside, I know exactly what I'm doing this week : D

Hmm. Not sure what to do for "something different." I usually write with a small cast of characters at once, more private settings, so I might try my hand at a larger crowd; it would be interesting balancing a lot of people or events at once from a singular perspective.

Children's Book

Tangent

Congrats Cyan!

Hmm, I'm trying to think of what to do for the secondary since I think I'm sort of all over the place with what I write about.

Nezumi

Congrats Cyan!

Hmm, I'm trying to think of what to do for the secondary since I think I'm sort of all over the place with what I write about.

No mentioning of bunnies ;)

Nah, you're right though. On the top of my head I can't really come up with anything. I think the most consistent thing about your writing is your tone/voice and changing that is probably impossibly hard to do.

Charade

Probably with a polite request to never write them again lest they sic the cops on me.

Or, I single handedly set the ball in motion for Dino Riders' glorious return!

Demand a piece of the action if it happens.

Or better yet, make them let you design one!

Cyan

Banned
Are you guys still doing the weekend group chat? How can I get in on that?

We are! It'll be 2-4 PM Pacific time on Sunday. I'll start up a hangout a few minutes before 2, and then post a link here in "quote to see" email tags. So just be here at that time and follow the link!

Charade

Eh, i might actually do that. I've been told I have a nice voice.

Oh, nice!

The idea crossed my mind last challenge after I recorded myself talking through some plot points on my phone out of convenience (instead of the usual typing it all down). One thing I realized was that you kinda have more control over how your story is told, in terms of reading it how it sounds in your head. That precise flow.

Nezumi

I wish I could join. If I have to explain the building rules of Kingdom Builder one more time, I might just storm out of the room screaming and laughing madly... How come someone who appears to be absolutly unable to understand and remember simple logical rules demands that we play board games the entire night.

Cyan

Banned
I wish I could join. If I have to explain the building rules of Kingdom Builder one more time, I might just storm out of the room screaming and laughing madly... How come someone who appears to be absolutly unable to understand and remember simple logical rules demands that we play board games the entire night.

Ahahaha. Sounds like a good time! Sorry to miss you this go-round. I think we're going to do some hangouts for NaNo, hopefully you can join those. :)

Cyan

Banned
Hangout is up! Quote to see link:

As usual, we'll follow the format of 10 minutes general chat and 30 minutes writing. I might also invite people from the NaNo thread to join us and work on outlining or whatever, if it looks like we have the space.

Gotta do a few quick things, but I'll be on in about five minutes.

Nezumi

Oh God. I just realized that I need to at least start my story today or I'll not be able to finish it since I'll be working all day tomorrow and go on a vacation on Saturday... Better start doing the necessary research then.

Edit: Finished my first draft and for the first time ever I'm not gonna post it as it is but'll rework it tomorrow. Secondary accomplished :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom