• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #222 - The horror

choodi

Banned
Theme - "The horror"

Comments on the theme: In honour of the submission deadline, this challenge is all about the horror. Give us your best interpretation of an edge of your seat thriller or some sort of Lovecraftian eldritch horror, or try something interesting by giving us a non-traditional horror story that might invoke fear or terror in different ways. I will certainly be looking for unique ideas.

Word Limit: 2000

Submission Deadline: Friday, October 13th, 2017 by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting Deadline: Monday, October 16th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: You want it darker?

Leonard Cohen - You want it darker. If you can't find inspiration in Leonard Cohen then I think you might just be dead inside. Incorporate something from this song into your story.

Optional Tertiary Objective: Yes, I do want it darker

Give us a subtle hint or suggestion that the horror you are describing is not the worst thing out there in your world. Don't be blatant, but let us have a slight glimpse into something that could be even worse.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

Important side note: A lot of our regulars like to write out short critiques/comments for the stories, but you can always opt out by simply adding a note like "I'd prefer no critiques" in the post where you submit your story. We're an understanding group and respect that not everyone wants comments on their work. Above all, we just want to read your story.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

choodi

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

Plum

giphy.gif

After a few weeks of moving/university chaos I'm back into a proper routine so I should be able to take part in this!

well I do hear they're gonna make a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, so you know...

darker: directed by Zack Snyder fused with Michael Bay in a Chronenberg accident.

even darker: Fifty Shades Of Come And See, with a foreword by Prof. Dr. Eggman on the incidental nature of robotic manufacturing accidents featuring anthropomorphic animals. Includes a recipe appendix.

choodi

Banned
Argh, I'm terrible with even spooky stuff, but will do my best!

You and me both. I was going with a completely different theme and then I saw the submission deadline and changed it all up.

well I do hear they're gonna make a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, so you know...

darker: directed by Zack Snyder fused with Michael Bay in a Chronenberg accident.

even darker: Fifty Shades Of Come And See, with a foreword by Prof. Dr. Eggman on the incidental nature of robotic manufacturing accidents featuring anthropomorphic animals. Includes a recipe appendix.

The HORROR!!!!!!!!

Tangent

Congrats, Choodi! And hmm, now that Alucard read your Little Red Riding Hood recommendation with that great feedback, I'm curious too!

This is from the previous thread:
I wanted to at least share a podcast I listened to recently, featuring an author who taught a class I took years ago. He was the best writing teacher I ever had, the only one who really left a lasting impact on me. Hopefully y’all get something out listening to him, too:

http://pca.st/episode/e56365d2-5fdb-447b-9a78-9034a78b50a1

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check this out for sure!

Nice! Knowing who is attending will at least make the guessing somewhat easier, but yeah, no Tangent and no Mike :( Gotta admit I had also half hoped that Cyan might try and sneak in for this one.
Awww. I miss you guys! So much! I'm wandering aimlessly in the world without these writing challenges. I was also thinking of sneaking in a story this time around, but then didn't have a concrete enough of an idea before the due date. Lemme tell you, life is weird without these bimonthly challenges.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Lemme tell you, life is weird without these bimonthly challenges.

Oh god don't say that! I hate change enough as it is, and the idea of not doing these, of losing the only bits of structure I have left in my life, is enough to make me a nervous wreck!

Nezumi

Man it is really hard to come up with an idea that doesn't use any of the usual clichés when you don't know enough about horror fiction beside the usual clichés...

Alucard

Banned
Man it is really hard to come up with an idea that doesn't use any of the usual clichés when you don't know enough about horror fiction beside the usual clichés...

I'm also experiencing this problem, but it's okay because I just want to write something competent at this stage of my writing development. Just remember that even a cliche can be done well or re-used in an interesting way.

LaMagenta

Damn this sounds like an awesome challenge! I’m sad I missed the last one, but I’ll be really sad if I miss this one, being that this is my favorite month and I’ve always wanted to try a hand at horror story telling. I’m not sure I’ll make it with all the school stuff I have to do, but I’ll try.

Congrats on the win Chodi!

Irish

Shirley Jackson is where y'all should look for inspiration when it comes to unconventional horror. I'm not talking about just The Lottery either.

FlowersisBritish

Shirley Jackson is where y'all should look for inspiration when it comes to unconventional horror. I'm not talking about just The Lottery either.

I actually have a big book of Shirley Jackson stories I've been meaning to read. Also if ya'll want some modern day horror stuff (that I'll admit is of a somwhat iffy quailty) check out one of my favorite podcasts The No Sleep Podcast. They do audio versions of a lot of stories from reddit's NoSleep section. The most infamous of which is easily the Penpal series which I recommend. Some A+ creepy stuff!

Edit: Also this fun short three part video on how to horror I always like to watch when I need to gear up the thought train.

FlowersisBritish

As a heads up of factors I am no longer in control of, I might not be at this weeks writing hangout, so have fun everyone.

Plum

I honestly can't find any inspiration in the (admittedly brilliant) Leonard Cohen song. Even after going to Genius and reading up on the lyrics some more I just can't translate that to any story ideas.

Coincidentally I just checked my pulse and, yep, I'm dead inside.

Nezumi

Somehow I get the feeling that coming up with a horror story while playing Stardew Valley might not be the brightest of ideas...

choodi

Banned
Somehow I get the feeling that coming up with a horror story while playing Stardew Valley might not be the brightest of ideas...

I just finished Golf Story and went straight into Stardew Valley. I'm pretty much done here.

Alucard

Banned
Wrote 300 words tonight. It's a start. I know my basic story including the possible endings, but we'll see how the rest of it shapes up...

Edit: and another 300 words between 615 and 640 this morning. Yay. The progress train is on the tracks.

mu cephei

I have 222 words, was just coming to say! Yes I'm that pleased, I think it's a record for me this early in the challenge :p

(Whether I'll manage any more is another matter.)

Plum

How's everyone else doing so far?

About 300 words in. Finally got a good idea going with a definite ending. Just realised that the setup is a lot like my last story's but that's not going to phase me, the story itself is incredibly different. Keep getting spooked when watching/reading inspiration, though, that's definitely a distraction.

Ashes

Banned
Gonna bow out for this and the forthcoming challenge.

I might be able to squeeze in time to collect the entries. But that relies on everyone entering bang on time.

See ya all soonish.

choodi

Banned
650 words down and not sure where this is going.

I am kinda freaking myself out right before I go to bed though, so maybe what I am writing is worth something.

Alucard

Banned
Wrote another 400 or so this morning and am up to a thousand words. Between tomorrow morning and night, I'll be able to finish and will hopefully have some time for editing/re-writing.

Alucard

Banned
Another 300 or so written this morning. I've started writing the climax and will be able to finish and submit something in 15 hours or so. Woohoo.

After this challenge, I may focus on Nanowrimo for the first time in my life.

choodi

Banned
I am going to be late with mine. If I haven't submitted it by the time you are ready to go, don't wait for me.

Top Bottom