NeoGAF, did I just get called out by Microsoft's JEFF BELL?!

Jun 7, 2004
77,909
2
0
Oregon
I thought this was pretty silly - even hilarious and a bit weird. I didn't expect it to blow up into this though, even knowing GAF. :lol

WasabiKing said:
And this is a good thing. We've known that he's read NeoGAF for at least 3 years. Unless a user opts to use their real name (Jaffe, Dyack, Pachter), as a fellow user, we should always respect their privacy. Of course, this all goes to shit when someone on the admin staff reveals an identity of a user, which seems to be the case here. I will go ahead and apologize on behalf of the staff here.

Unless Peter Moore starts shilling every EA Sports game (and you'll know when a user is excited about EA Rugby), I don't think we'll be outing him.
I thought this was a unique situation.
 
GAZERK said:
I welcome Jeff Bell with open arms now. He's cool in my book. Heck, he provided us with entertainment, why did Patrick go and have to screw it up?
Not really Patrick's fault. Story would've died without getting published if a GAF Mod/Staffer/Whatever didn't "confirm" Bell's identity. Patrick had a right to ask the question, and GAF Staff had a right not to answer it, or answer it with, "No Comment". When Patrick got the confirmation it officially became a story.

You can debate whether its "real news" but in a world of Anna Nicole and Paris Hilton trumping the Iraq War the conceit that there is a thing called "real news" (especially as it relates to journalism) is kinda quaint.
 
Nov 11, 2005
1
0
0
Sage00 said:
Wait, Arne not at MS anymore, Peter Moore not at MS anymore.

1+1=2

Arne = Peter Moore!

:lol
Noo noo...Arne can't grow the goatee. I've seen him try, and it's not pretty. So consider this rumor debunked! ;)

(just wanted to be part of the legendary thread. Thanks for the laughs!)
 
May 13, 2005
7,654
0
0
35
Peter Moore leaves.

"Who can replace Moore's awesomeness?"

Jeff Bell sends an awesome PM

Gaf explodes

Games Media explodes

Jeff Bell reaches Moore's level in less than 24 hours.
 
Jan 23, 2007
2,925
0
0
a Master Ninja said:
:lol :lol :lol
I can't believe this. :lol
eXxy, if you want to do a phone interview for with the forum-dweller who got called out by Jeff Bell let me know. :lol

Correct, just a three days ago Major Nelson went on a rant in his podcast about "I'm gunna find out who posted that picture of me on GAF", and that guy was me.:lol
Which pic was he talking about? Can't wait to see it:lol
 

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mar 10, 2007
24,188
0
1,010
The fact that he used his real last name makes him a badass.

I get home from therapy and am blessed with this thread:lol

Reilly said:
Peter Moore leaves.

"Who can replace Moore's awesomeness?"

Jeff Bell sends an awesome PM

Gaf explodes

Games Media explodes

Jeff Bell reaches Moore's level in less than 24 hours.
 

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Oct 29, 2006
6,485
0
0
Japan
Visualante said:
Clearly a joke: a Master Ninja's OP
Not a joke: Jeff's PM, Patrick's 1UP news story

Patrick's news story was based on Jeff's PM, not OP.
Patrick is not contributing anything to society with his story.
In fact, he may just be ruining one man's career.

Sounds great, doesn't it?
 
crazyscreenwriter said:
Not really Patrick's fault. Story would've died without getting published if a GAF Mod/Staffer/Whatever didn't "confirm" Bell's identity. Patrick had a right to ask the question, and GAF Staff had a right not to answer it, or answer it with, "No Comment". When Patrick got the confirmation it officially became a story.

You can debate whether its "real news" but in a world of Anna Nicole and Paris Hilton trumping the Iraq War the conceit that there is a thing called "real news" (especially as it relates to journalism) is kinda quaint.
True, but Patrick was still part of the problem.
 
Mar 3, 2007
13,194
0
0
Sage00 said:
Patrick is not contributing anything to society with his story.
In fact, he may just be ruining one man's career.

Sounds great, doesn't it?
RE: bold: Not really

Whatever you think of Patrick's story, it is his site- and this is the internet. It's pretty diverse, if you don't like it don't read it. PS. I am not defending him, I would have waited for it to develop into something epic before posting that morsel.
 
Apr 20, 2007
185
0
820
Spain
I'm still trying to figure out if he was just joking with that pm or was dead serious. If it's the latter, well...., it would be around the level of a spoiled forumite.

This thread is moving at ludicrous speed, NeoGAF never disappoints. :lol
 
Sage00 said:
Patrick is not contributing anything to society with his story.
In fact, he may just be ruining one man's career.

Sounds great, doesn't it?
If Bell didn't send the PM and if NeoGaf Mods didn't confirm his identity then Patrick would had no story. But they did...Its not Patrick fault. Its the fault of a V.P. of a major U.S. corporation acting like a 13 year old, and the fault of a Mod with not a lot of sense (or his/her own agenda).

Blaming a journalist because he reported on something stupid that happened right in front of him is ridiculous. Blame the people that did something stupid.

Its like blaming the failure of the Iraq War on the the Reporter's that report the news from Iraq, and not the premise of the entire thing to begin with!