• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

Willing to be done with this one now.
panel1.jpg

Moving on to next panel.

panel2wip1.jpg

Didn't know this thread existed!

I expect to start up drawing again. I used to draw so much during my younger years. Kinda stopped during high school, then college, then here I am post graduate. I mostly want to get back in it so my storyboards for short films don't comprise of stick figures :p

Alright, three more.

As part of the character reference sheet for Horus, his melee weapon is a space rapier - shown here in hugeass vector format. Took about half an hour in Illustrator CS6.

Vectorized version of the new Nullpunk logo. Took about 15 minutes in Illustrator. The Nullpunk are basically Space Atlanteans with Glacius-style ice supersuits, for reference.

iKu7kmJ.png

Finally, here's the finalized concept of Drei's initial outfit. It's still sketchy right now but I'm going to try and get the lineart touched up and colored in sometime tomorrow. Took about 45 minutes in Adobe Photoshop CS5.

The little logo thing below his name acts as a sort of "personal logo" for him even among the Nullpunk, and doubles in-game as the crosshairs for his weapon, which is basically a hardlight stave that you can throw like a javelin.

Jhoan

It's been a while folks. I've been lurking in the thread via my phone since I didn't have any internet for about 2.5 months (it went down in mid July). Always love seeing other people's work as it motivates me.

I'm not gonna post everything that I've done since it's a lot of stuff unless you guys want me to. But I will say that I've done some 3D modeling in Maya since I'm taking a class for it as well as abstract stuff (taking a color theory class this semester), some digital drawings (far and few), and I filled up my last Moleskine sketch pad with the last of my subway drawings.

That being said, I got a new cheaper pocket sized sketch pad (Bristol journal FTW) to continue sketching people in public so these are the new ones from that book. I want to have massive stacks of these books filled with subway drawings because they're fun to do.

Pen, Sharpie markers, and colored pencils; 10-45 mins each (the colored ones took much longer). Drawing in marker is more challenging but rewarding since I have to deliberately think about lines and whatnot:

Bonus: Last ambitious digital drawing I put some serious time into and did from start to finish (something like 4.5-5 hours). I was playing around with various brushes and used a bunch of water color brushes in Photoshop. I absolutely love the way it came out; I'm really proud of this one. Dark Souls was in my mind as I drew it:

Day 99, ~2hrs.

Day 100, ~2h40m. That's gonna be it for me, at least for a while.

Have you tried the squinting trick? It's a useful habit to get into, especially when doing value studies. http://www.fresia.com/technique/on-squinting/

Damn son! I was expecting something nuts for day 100 and you didn't disappoint. I can't believe you managed to crank stuff out so consistently. It'll suck to see you go but I can't say I don't blame you.

I'll try and have something special up for Day 100, too, even if it's not my 100th drawing-a-day.

I know it's technically past midnight, but time for a Day 100 Art Blowout! First off:

ittVEvFrw56vd.png

Super pointless sketch of all the Livechamber classes together. Took about 3 hours. It's something like 1000x3400 and all the characters are to scale - Luca (lavender and magenta one near the middle) is about 5'8", for reference. More importantly, I got the last two class logos done!

Hadal logo. Took about 20 minutes. I wanted to do something Final Fantasy-esque, but there's some deeper symbolism - first person to figure it out gets a cookie.

Becryon logo. Spent about 45 just playing with effects to get something I was okay with. They're drop shock troopers, so yeah. I also made a little .gif of the complete set:

TKMJ5G1.gif

And here are the stills, in case anyone wants a free avatar:

wRGnuON.png
X4W6UyB.png
FBJO0Xo.png
gml4p44.png

njD5jDa.png
SL4vVef.png
47Ya936.png
BFM46Ck.png

If anyone wants a custom avatar from one of the icons (different size, colors etc) just let me know.

jujubeads

Damn son! I was expecting something nuts for day 100 and you didn't disappoint. I can't believe you managed to crank stuff out so consistently. It'll suck to see you go but I can't say I don't blame you.

I'll try and have something special up for Day 100, too, even if it's not my 100th drawing-a-day.
Thanks, man. I just saw the new stuff. Pretty cool seeing all the characters together like that. And those logos are seriously awesome. I've no idea what the deeper symbolism might be for the Hadal logo, but it looks damn cool.

I hope this is better.
Nice. That looks really good. It's not easy figuring out the correct values when working with reference placed against a white background, but it looks like you pretty much nailed it.

Prax

LAST TWO CHARACTER PROFILE THINGIES DONE~~~
ennes_the_mage_scholar_by_meibatsu-d6oircc.png

elly_the_aeron_knight_by_meibatsu-d6oisjf.png

Now I may go onto scripting/drafting my comic.. jabdhab~~~ yaaay

I worked on both side by side at the same time, so it took me a million years.. which is roughly 5-6 hours each. @___@

So I stopped a bit for a while because I was constantly on leave/at meetings.

Last week I started up again. I've deliberately not been keeping times, and I know I'm not going to manage every day either. Figured I might drag the average standard down a bit by posting the bits I've felt happy enough with to put on DeviantArt.

Warming up after a long break:
arcee__g1__quick_sketch_by_gridenabled-d6nng8f.png

Working on drawing the hand:
arcee_hand_sketch_by_gridenabled-d6nslux.png

Trying a harsher shading for a "cartoony" "bright" piece:
movie_arcee_by_gridenabled-d6os4yq.png

All done in the GIMP with my Wacom bamboo.

I'm really really pleased with the third piece. It was pretty fun to draw too.

ZavhP0q.png

Just did a study of a generic Becryon dude for today, took about 15 minutes. They're asexual, silicon-based life that evolved from primordial microbes and eventually developed larger, more humanoid forms and navigated subterranean caverns before advancing technologically. They'll generally assume male or female pronouns during adolescence for simplicity's sake and possess both cryokinetic powers and minor shapeshifting abilities (they're blob monsters).

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Day 43. Faith from Mirror's Edge.

Really jealous of that line work.

Thanks! I'm jealous of your painting skills, can we trade? :X

The lighting in those comics panels is ridiculous and you did such a superb job on making each material distinct.

first one was about 3 or 4 hours, second one was like 2 hours.
Diggin' the atmosphere here. First one's subtle colors and the rendering on the foreground lady are killer.

...both of you are making me want to paint something shiny, haha.

MikeDown

Banned
First one is something I forgot to post the other day. Took about five hours. She was just going to be in a simple white sundress, but I was awfully horny that day. As you can see, it evolved into something else entirely. You can almost smell the cheep perfume.
863_max.jpg

This one I just did, took about an hour-ish, didn't really keep track, was watching some Archer, in between.

653_max.jpg

I really love the brushes strokes and how you easily capture the feel and texture of the stone/marble. It's really great. :)

Just a quick 10 minute doodle for today. Spoiler warning: it features a Pokemon from XY that's been revealed due to leakers - it has not been officially unveiled.

Context: I had a really awful Pichu alternate evo idea ages ago called Kenkachu (Kenkaku, Japanese for "swordsman" + chu). In hindsight, it probably would have worked fine as a Mega Pikachu evolution, but Game Freak's been progressively making stuff that turned out a lot like my old concepts since Gen IV. Anyways, this new Pokemon looks suspiciously similar in color scheme, proportions, etc.

Click to view.

Anyone here able to draw me some expressive cartoons characterised from portrait photos? I want to use them in a PowerPoint presentation as opposed to using the actual photos. Please PM me

Top Bottom