• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

Some of the poses in the top sheet seem like they would be interesting as full studies. The bending over one is my favorite.

I used hot press paper this time. The finish is nice and smooth. These compositions could really use some texture. At least that's the pattern I've noticed with my work. Everything looks like it's made of the same material.

Thanks! Some of those would make for great longer studies, but short gesture drawings is a double-edged sword: Because they're usually no more than two or three minutes, models can do really dynamic and exaggerated poses that they would never be able to hold for 20 minutes.

Your work is coming along! I think one area you could focus on more than texture is value. Try adding some darker shadows and lighter highlights to pop things out and give it a more three dimensional feeling.

SNuX6zJ.png

130/365
It seems I've developed a case of the ol' carpal tunnel

130/365
It seems I've developed a case of the ol' carpal tunnel

Ouch. Does wearing a wrist brace clear that up or is it bourbon and pills until it knits itself?

Past few days worth of sketches.
tumblr_oq9zzeYEuN1ruep75o2_1280.jpg

I'd read that comic. Have you ever done a comic?

EDIT to add: I've just had a (maybe) fun thought for more arts/practice. What if we did a thread where we do quick-fire comic pages that link? Like, you just ad-lib off of what the previous person did. I'm getting a bit bored of doing just portraits, and my body work needs, uh, work. Just an idea, but thought I'd see if anyone else was interested. Low investment like the random art stuff since it's just a page and whatever you feel like.

EDIT to add: I've just had a (maybe) fun thought for more arts/practice. What if we did a thread where we do quick-fire comic pages that link? Like, you just ad-lib off of what the previous person did. I'm getting a bit bored of doing just portraits, and my body work needs, uh, work. Just an idea, but thought I'd see if anyone else was interested. Low investment like the random art stuff since it's just a page and whatever you feel like.

That sounds fun, count me in! I've been trying to kind of mix things up just to keep somewhat fresh for me, anyways.
Anyone else interested? Turnip? Alcotholic? Wulfric? Bueller?

I'd read that comic. Have you ever done a comic?

Ive tried comics, but Im not good at them. I down to do collaborative comics. We could even just do it through this thread.

LegendX48

Love the expression and color! The watercolor job is very clean.
You've improved so much in the past year :)

hehe, thanks. Going back to school has been a good thing for me all around. That and having to do finished illustrations for my class this semester has pushed me to step up a bit.

Wulfric

Homework stuffs!

perspective can be unforgiving..

This is great! I saw this on my phone first and thought she was shocked by growing a tail. XD

My only suggestion is that the snake be more ferocious. Her body language says "fear", but the snake is just kinda coiled up.

Ive still been drawing. I'll update tomorrow.

I like the cute lizard/dragon thing. I can easily see this colored in sky blue or a nice turquoise.

Painted a mafia/drug deal gone wrong kinda thing this time.

So I had a huge error of judgement with this next piece. I painted the floor this piss colored yellow, and it made the whole thing look terrible. So I tried washing it over with grey. The initial drawing was fine, but things weren't coming together like I planned.

Definitely gonna stick to fewer objects for the next painting.

(11x17 inches, Strathmore 140lb cold press)
V93qh3I.jpg

LegendX48

This is great! I saw this on my phone first and thought she was shocked by growing a tail. XD

My only suggestion is that the snake be more ferocious. Her body language says "fear", but the snake is just kinda coiled up.

heh, thanks. I was going to initially have the snake more ferocious but was running out of time. Plus, just seeing a snake pop out of nowhere is enough to freak someone out even if it ain't hostile, at least that's what I went with lol

Wulfric

Oh shit, does it look like someone in VP? I've played the original PS game, but that was at least 10 years ago. Although I'm sure there's loads of old fragments from games/movies/comics stuck in my head.

It's not too similar I think, VP didn't invent valkyries with big armor. I don't know if this is what you were going for, but the legs remind me of machine guns? Kinda like Bayonetta xD

Thanks!
I might color some when I get a new computer.

Have you thought of going over your lines with a marker?
It might make some of the details easier to see. And cover some of those white gaps.

I haven't actually, although I have some Prismacolors markers laying around. Their "watercolor" pencils looks interesting for those small areas.

I'm gonna experiment with a small ink pen for the outlining next time. I'm trying to do something like this, although she used watered down acrylics as well:

zNKU5qZ.jpg

Wulfric

Question: Where do you get your subjects from? I imagine you're not working with a model every day. :p

I went to the zoo last Tuesday and did an entire notebook of gestures. Tried to get the lioness forms down but they move around a lot. I also did a small study of my dragon OC that I posted earlier. She has a bedroom for some reason.

I can't wait for my canvases to ship from Blick so I start doing acrylic again.

Hey, I'm glad you're still here! It's cool to see sketchbook stuff. I'd like to make an effort to draw more in my sketchbook as opposed to the tablet. Although with the traditional lifedrawing once or twice a week, I don't feel too guilty.

Thanks, I appreciate the support :) I really appreciate your positivity and enthusiasm. Why did you remove the picture of your featured drawing? Its awesome you had your art displayed somewhere. I would love that opportunity some day.

Thanks, I appreciate the support :) I really appreciate your positivity and enthusiasm. Why did you remove the picture of your featured drawing? Its awesome you had your art displayed somewhere. I would love that opportunity some day.

Heh, you caught me! I don't know, I felt awkward and self conscious about it, and was second guessing myself. I was also wondering if it was out of place in the daily drawing thread, but probably not since I posted it last month as one of my dailies. I'll put it back up.

Great to see the Portrait Thread coming back with some new artists! I decided to do a challenging one, with not one, but TWO children. Their proportions are so different from adults so you can't rely on your muscle memory and have to really try to draw what you're seeing. I've only done the basic layout and just started a more detailed layer. Probably won't finish it until Saturday, because I have lifedrawing tonight.

So... one of my daily drawings from last month is featured in an exhibit at the beautiful Scarab Club in downtown Detroit. It'll be there until next Wednesday. It's on the second floor, in the room that looks like it's from the game Clue. I wonder where the candlestick is hidden?

Heh, you caught me! I don't know, I felt awkward and self conscious about it, and was second guessing myself. I was also wondering if it was out of place in the daily drawing thread, but probably not since I posted it last month as one of my dailies. I'll put it back up.

So... one of my daily drawings from last month is featured in an exhibit at the beautiful Scarab Club in downtown Detroit. It'll be there until next Wednesday. It's on the second floor, in the room that looks like it's from the game Clue. I wonder where the candlestick is hidden?

It's cool. I've been considering sharing an old project of mine that I want to continue. I'll probably post it sometime and see what you guys think.
Place looks fun to chill at. I love bars with libraries and fireplaces.

Anyway, just did a portrait today.

It's cool. I've been considering sharing an old project of mine that I want to continue. I'll probably post it sometime and see what you guys think.
Place looks fun to chill at. I love bars with libraries and fireplaces.

Anyway, just did a portrait today.

You should post it! Nice portrait, too. I'm going to try and dive back into the Portrait Thread and do at least one or two more this weekend.

I should explain the Scarab Club. It sounds like a club/bar because of the name, but it's actually an art gallery. It's a historical building that's almost 100 years old located on Jefferson, the street behind the Detroit Institute of Arts. The first floor is more of a traditional gallery. The second floor is what's pictured, and where the drawing is. If you look at the huge beams on the ceiling, you'll notice they're signed by famous visiting artists like Diego Rivera, Norman Rockwell, Marshall Fredericks, Marcel Duchamp, John Sloan and Pablo Davis. It's actually quite an honor to have something displayed and for sale there!

I've never posted in this thread but figured I'd join in

Hey! Always good to have more people join in!

Couple lifedrawings a big dude. A 10 minute and a 20 minute.

Top Bottom