• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

What tool are you using to draw these? Do you sketch the pictures first or go straight to paints?

Krita (a free drawing program) and a cheap Huion art tablet (Literally the same thing as Monoprice, which a lot of people swear by for beginners). Technique-wise it's literally just ripping off this guy, except with out the fundamental skills or attention to detail or the blending. But the "do a broad outline of the figure and then paint over it" is the same.

18wRL49.png

QSz7cAR.png

198 and 199

My biannual sketch. Tried to steer away from photorealism into something a bit more character driven.

Took me way too damn long to do that much. I really need to make sketching at least a weekly habit.

Question, does a drawing tablet help incentivize making more art? I want to get one, but don't want it to go to waste.

Question, does a drawing tablet help incentivize making more art? I want to get one, but don't want it to go to waste.

It depends how familiar you are with digital art. Do you know Photoshop or other art programs already? Are you used to drawing on a tablet while looking at the screen? If you're learning those things, it can be discouraging. But maybe that in itself will give you drive to work on your art more. It's hard to say. Motivation to create is not the same for everyone. Years ago I bought an Intuos, and it went to waste because I couldn't get over the disconnect of not looking where I was drawing.

Prax

next character!!
my tablet pen interacts weirdly with windows or something, making the taskbar or desktop icons blink in annoying ways. I wonder if it's a graphic card issue but it's driving me crazy, so I'm going to stop progress on this until later tonight after a restart and leaving social media off..

about 5 hours so far?? inbetween chatting lol

DI2Aoc0XkAARPab.jpg:large

(200 and 201)

I don't post here often but I just wanted to give you guys props for keeping this thread going. Love seeing the progress! Same goes to everyone else that posts regularly in ArtGaf!

Here's some robot practice because I need to do more of this type of stuff!

I also posted recently in the other thread which used to be more lively until it got moved to community.

Personal project illustration

Prax

DI6L6GwUIAAeKPV.jpg:large

Yay!! lineart done!! 10 hours for lineart, and i suspect it will take only 5 hours for colouring..

Why do I feel like I am getting slower? :l I hope it's because I am getting better.. but no one would really be able to tell the difference but me..

Prax

Prax, really great line work, I like the design of this character.

Ah, thank you! I think he looks a bit boring but.. oh well.. hahha!

i did flats for a couple of hours trying to decide between shades of purple and black and got hungry so i guess i have to put this aside for anotehr day

EDIT: OKAY I FINISHHHH!!! And it only took 3 more hours instead of 5. Good! (Some messiness with stray pixels outside lineart though.. i will cry.. but it's not notieceable unless against black backrgound)
_s2__black_coma___deadly_demon_by_meibatsu-dbml0np.png

I don't post here often but I just wanted to give you guys props for keeping this thread going. Love seeing the progress! Same goes to everyone else that posts regularly in ArtGaf!

Thanks! I'm not always sure about the progress, but I'm tryin. I did see the other thread, and your work is looking excellent, as usual.
I need to practice more mechanical designs, as well.

My dreams of getting caught up over the long weekend were quashed due to being sick.

A cover for a comic I probably wont get around to doing til Jan at this rate of be distracted by other side projects :(

I really wonder what it would have looked like had I watercolored it
probably like shit

4yPrsgk.jpg

Cmagus

I did a somewhat quick drawing of Sunshine from Lawbreakers in a more cartoony style. I think it came out alright, decided to draw her cause shes a cool character.Haven't done much drawing lately haven't really been in the mood so I figured I do something to start to get back into it.

Been forever since I've drawn anything, very rusty... Think I'll organize a weekly drawing thing with some of my mates...

I'd appreciate all the constructive criticism, I don't have any good approach on drawing clean lines digitally, guess need to practice more on that... Hair (lines) are a mess. heck lines are a mess throughout ...please go easy

What's the choice of digital software for most of you guys here? And what type of brushes do you guys use?

Cmagus

Been forever since I've drawn anything, very rusty... Think I'll organize a weekly drawing thing with some of my mates...

I'd appreciate all the constructive criticism, I don't have any good approach on drawing clean lines digitally, guess need to practice more on that... Hair (lines) are a mess. heck lines are a mess throughout ...please go easy

What's the choice of digital software for most of you guys here? And what type of brushes do you guys use?

I think it looks good, very stylized and kind of reminds me of John K's stuff. As far as software goes I mostly use Clip Studio Paint for rough work and Photoshop to finish up images.

Some more sketches:

Horus is delightful

Also where can I learn to draw? I really want to take classes, but my UNI wont let me since im a electrical/computer engineering grad student.

Look for people offering art classes in your area, there should be something available that isn't university-related. In the meantime, look at things in real life. Observe those things. Draw the things.Observe your drawing and try to figure out what's wrong with it. Redo the drawing and try correct the mistakes you made earlier. Make new mistakes. Rinse. Repeat.

Top Bottom