• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

Keikaku

Hey everyone! So, this thread here provided the inspiration for this one.

I know that there are quite a few artists (aspiring, established or somewhere in between) here on NeoGAF and it's always nice to see what other artists are doing. I also find that I'm more likely to keep practicing my art if I know that I'll be showing it to other people. It's a great way to stay accountable!

A few ground "rules":
  • Submit one 2D/3D work per day.
  • It's OK to miss a day or two so long as you submit the missing pieces on the 2nd/3rd days. Try not to make a habit of it but, sometimes shit happens.
  • This is a fun thread, so don't kill yourself over it.
  • Spend at least 10 minutes on each submission.
  • There is no upper time limit to spend on a piece.
  • Post the amount of time you spent on each piece when you post it.
  • Work in any medium. Both traditional and digital are fine.
  • This isn't the place for pieces you've done before. Do something new! Practice!
  • Be courteous when asking for and receiving critique.

Here's my post for the day (click to make bigger!):
ibcxGZcC3T031y.jpg
Time Spent: 21 minutes
Medium: Photoshop CS2, Wacom Intuos Pen/Tablet
Notes: I decided that I really wanted to practice values and perspective. It got away from me a bit but this is literally the first digital sketch I've done in 4 or 5 months so it's not terrible. I'm just happy to get away from 3DS Max for a bit!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
This could be neat! Unfortunately I won't be able to participate for a few days. Strained my back from working too hard. At drawing. Yes I know, drawing related injuries.

The only thing I could draw was this five minute sketch to apologize for not getting my comic up on time:

backpainsorry_zps101babdc.png

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute in the future!

Good idea, I'm studying for finals but I'll try to post something when they're done, maybe before that if I decide to procrastinate.

OatmealMu

Not a bad idea. Whatever happened to the thread where people were learning to draw? It sort of disappeared suddenly.

Martian

Subbed,

I will probably take a picture of drawings with pencil, as I dont have any of your fancy computer drawing software:p

red731

Subscribing. Great idea for a thread.

I've always wanted to draw and even did so, but it wasn't anything spectacular.
Bough Bamboo tablet to draw in soft on PC so I will send digital and scanned paper works.

wondermega

QnATegZ.jpg

i have no idea what this is. it evolved as i was scribbling. but it's 2:30 and I wanted to get the ball rolling before i passed out for the night.

possessed vacuum cleaner attachment?

Keikaku

I'd like critique
Fixed link follows
How long did you spend on it? It's quite nice for a quick sketch!

I like:
  • The depth. You did a great job fading in background details like the giant mountains. It really adds atmosphere.
  • The scale. Looks great!
  • The composition. I really like that you didn't center the tower; I think that makes it feel a bit more organic.
  • The color. Green and purple is a brave choice. Kudos to you!

You may want to think about:
  • Lighting. What's the primary light source? Where is it? Right now it feels like it's a bit too grey and murky.
  • Value. Related to the above but, basically, you have a lot of darks in your forest and the foreground which help frame the image but it feels like your lights aren't quite so vivid. A little balance may help.
  • Composition. Yeah, I listed it twice :p Maybe move the spire/tower over a bit more to the right? I think that would really make the piece read a bit nicer, especially with some refined lighting. The open space in the middle of the picture would really enhance the composition, I think.
  • Scale. Yes, also twice! The birds in the foreground are a bit too big and take away from the scale of the tower. Try making them smaller and pushing them into the background more.

Mieu

Inspired by an online friend who is also a fan of the Tales of series. Drew this while on my desk waiting for calls from clients. I havent drawn anything new and I believe this was the last good piece I drew since last year.

Anyway, I have a challenging time following the patterns for Tales of Characters and making the swords, and hands. Also, when doing characters sketches, what exactly do I need to work on especially when working on emotions ? Any tips to share?

Groof

Do sketches during class count? Because that's pretty much the only time I get motivated to draw anymore lol

I drew the only thing I knew how... GAF Man (I forgot what his costume was supposed to look like).

Time spent: Approx. an episode or two of a television sitcom.

How about some rules about size of images? Would be nice if we could keep it neat.
I'm gonna assume this is in response to my image. I put it in quotes.

Keikaku

How about some rules about size of images? Would be nice if we could keep it neat.
I thought about it but I think that allowing a variety of sizes is better from an artistic perspective. It allows a greater variety in compositions and generally doesn't crimp anyone's style.

Ken

Could just have everyone post images within quote boxes so it doesn't stretch the page by resizing the image and it makes quoting posts easier.

Do sketches during class count? Because that's pretty much the only time I get motivated to draw anymore lol

I don't see why they wouldn't! Sketching whenever is great (as long as it doesn't negatively impact your class work lol).

I started learning to draw in my lunch break a few months ago when I bought a cheap Wacom Bamboo tablet to plug into my work PC.

I usually try to do cartoony stuff, but given what I read on the "Getting better at drawing?" thread I thought I'd try to sketch something real on my desk.

So here's a rough sketch of my Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Optimus Prime Cyberverse Commander (boy is that a mouthful) toy which is one of my prized possessions as they aren't out over here in the UK:

Time: 28 minutes
Medium: GIMP + cheap Wacom tablet
Notes: Photo for comparison: http://imgur.com/Spxbumj

Ken

Did a few gesture drawings at 30 seconds per pose. Totally forgot how to draw so I refreshed on the Loomis skeleton.

Time Spent: 38 minutes
Medium: Digital
Notes: Just a fun "whatever" sketch. Arms are terrible; need to brush up on that along with everything else lol.

Mieu

Could just have everyone post images within quote boxes so it doesn't stretch the page by resizing the image and it makes quoting posts easier.

Thank you for this. My sketch is now smaller.

@bangladesh
I love it :D Used it for my desktop :D

matellis

Neo Member
This sounds like fun!

Here is mine for this morning. Just a quick doodle before starting on work.

matellisdoodle53013.jpg

- 20-30 mins
- Photoshop CS, Cintiq

Raonak

Banned
Had something done before, but decided to do a more full fledged piece of work. So here are cloud whales. The concept of stratospheric life always intrigued me. sorta pokemonish.
Time: 90 mins
Media: Digital - AUSU Transformer Android Tablet

Ohhh, I'll play! Here's something I did at my desk here at work just now. Sorry for having to use my phone to take the picture. I spent less than or roundabouts 10 minutes on it, I think.

dPbQuR3.jpg

I'm really out of practice. haha. I haven't really drawn anything since maybe December. It would look a good bit better if the facial proportions were a bit tighter, I think.

I started learning to draw in my lunch break a few months ago when I bought a cheap Wacom Bamboo tablet to plug into my work PC.

I usually try to do cartoony stuff, but given what I read on the "Getting better at drawing?" thread I thought I'd try to sketch something real on my desk.

So here's a rough sketch of my Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Optimus Prime Cyberverse Commander (boy is that a mouthful) toy which is one of my prized possessions as they aren't out over here in the UK:

Time: 28 minutes
Medium: GIMP + cheap Wacom tablet
Notes: Photo for comparison: http://imgur.com/Spxbumj

Nice to see some Transformers stuff.

Here's a design of Bumblebee I've been playing with for a while. I plan to get round to building it in 3ds max someday, I have the car mode modeled so far.

Took me about 30 minute in pencil. The quality sucks a little. My scanner is a bit pants.

rSpooky

Besides just posting these, it be awesome to have techniques/learn how to draw stuff here as well. I have been sketching doodles as a stress reliever , but find good art hard, especially head shape, mouths, hands and feet, and proportions. Eyes I am getting better at :)
I am also decent at copying a character /picture (if not too realistic) but find it hard to draw from memory , or real life. tips?

edit : also I have a entry model wacom tablet. How can I best use this with a vector program such as inkscape? I could not figure out how to draw free hand in it , everything had "handles" on it and kept shaping weird.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I like this thread; I've been really out of practice in painting and drawing for a while now.

I was watching Star Trek and made a 12 minute thing:

oaBOdTfl.png

Nice to see some Transformers stuff.

Here's a design of Bumblebee I've been playing with for a while. I plan to get round to building it in 3ds max someday, I have the car mode modeled so far.

Took me about 30 minute in pencil. The quality sucks a little. My scanner is a bit pants.

Wow. One day I will be able to draw like that. ONE DAY! *shakes fist at sky*

Top Bottom