• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

Evilisk

I decided I'm still going to continue this.

Did a new sketch based off the Peacock sketch I did a while back. Colored + uncolored version. Kind of took a break from the Seiga one since it hasn't been a lot of fun to draw (bad angle + not planning out a background for it spoiled the thing for me) though I'll probably get to finishing it eventually.

v1_by_evilisk-d6lr3oo.png
v2_by_evilisk-d6lr4cs.png

Despite how bad the original sketch for this was (not this one, the other one) I'm starting to warm up to the costume. Probably because I like drawing this more than normal Peacock (her outfit is too vanilla for me, I don't like drawing it even though I love the character). Did two version.

Also finished this in the meantime.

Overall I'm happy with how it turned out. I know the face is a bit lacking in shading but I figured I'd just take baby steps with this. (This is already a lot of work just for me since I really don't like working in color or adding shading) I really have to fix up the way I draw faces here, I didn't know how to shade the face because of the weird way I drew it.

Sushigod7

igaz2YrLyKtl3.jpg

Mech pencil, moleskine, and edited a bit in photoshop (some level adjustments and a couple brush strokes. Took out the page seam) not the most accurate thing, but could only work on this today. 4 or 5 hours? I don't even remember.

My work certainly needs more work I haven't posted much here I was going to start doing some landscapes to get back into things and then get on some anatomy since that is my weak point for sure. Nice work here, Rising is a addicting game! Love me some metal gear.

Collete

Day 27:

This took...a RIDICULOUS amount of time.

Artrage...
Time:....
Three weeks....
Wacom Bamboo
Notes: Recreated "The Scream" in my own flare I suppose. There's just so much wrong with it though! *face desk* That said I have no idea how I took 3 weeks on it. I'M NOT SORRY.

Just getting everything in place for the first panel of a comic I'm working on. Really rough values sketch. I have a ton of work left to do on it.

seeker1wip.jpg

I think I'm going to try and jump back on the "Draw-a-Day" wagon. I've always wanted to develop my own "style" somewhere between anime and western cartoons. I think I can do faces pretty well, but my real issues are bodies, poses, and feet (which are missing in this first picture! lol).

jbthIkkZQ0Fob0.png

Guy & his annoyingly hyper friend
~45min

I forgot to turn f.lux off for coloring... Had to up the vibrancy afterwards to make it look right :p

Evilisk

another 3 hours into this

I think I can name all of those characters off the top of my head

Captain Commando, Batsu, Akira, Ryu, Ken, Viewtiful Joe, Donovan Bane, Zero, X, Dr. Light, Amaterasu, Morrigan, Akuma, Strider Hiryu, Asura, Jill Valentine, Nemesis, Guy, Cody, Haggar, Edward Falcon, Phoenix Wright, Arthur and Ryu (Breath of Fire), Issun and Dante

I legit don't have a clue who the guy with cross hoodie is though.

Anyway

Wanted to try something different from my usual sketches.

Basically first I sketched the original drawing into Photoshop.

Then LiveTraced it (in Illustrator) and turned it into Vector.

And currently is in process of coloring in Flash.

I normally use the line tool a lot for Flash drawings so I suppose a "pure" vector drawing like this is something new to me. Currently reconsidering the colors (the brown definitely looked more orange-y when I was using Flash) also have to figure out how to not screw up the face this time.

Simian

I think I can name all of those characters off the top of my head

Captain Commando, Batsu, Akira, Ryu, Ken, Viewtiful Joe, Donovan Bane, Zero, X, Dr. Light, Amaterasu, Morrigan, Akuma, Strider Hiryu, Asura, Jill Valentine, Nemesis, Guy, Cody, Haggar, Edward Falcon, Phoenix Wright, Arthur and Ryu (Breath of Fire), Issun and Dante

I legit don't have a clue who the guy with cross hoodie is though.

shin kazama from u.n squadron.

C.B.

some animal sketches

about 5 to 10 mins each. Wanted to get some more bodies done but, didn't have time to find some better photos.

Mech pencil on a really awful nameless sketchbook. I need to learn how to have this sort of line confidence with imaginative work in the same time span.

Prax

More character design things getting done so that I may one day work on my comic. lol
del_the_demon_servant_by_meibatsu-d6mb7qa.png

5ish hours, I think.
Paint Tool SAI.

Prax

Ok, and this one--a pterosaur-inspired steed animal:
pentosk_the_phoeron_steed_by_meibatsu-d6me9ex.png

I actually thought this would be fast to do but nope. I suck. XD
5ish hours.

Prax

And also this one last night:
more_to_this_provincial_life__by_meibatsu-d6mg1k9.png

I too thought this would only take like.. 2 hours at first. But it took almost five. *sobs*

C.B.

My work certainly needs more work I haven't posted much here I was going to start doing some landscapes to get back into things and then get on some anatomy since that is my weak point for sure. Nice work here, Rising is a addicting game! Love me some metal gear.

Word. Good luck, and thanks.

awesome, as always. the drawings in the lower half are particularly cool.

and thanks.

I started doing some other exercises. I seen somewhere before some dude making random blob shapes and making character types with them. So I though this would help out with my creativity stint I seem to have.

2 - 5 minutes per blob head. I have to say the results were pretty sound. I found I was spending less time trying to make something work and it just kind of...flowed. I think after doing these a bit more often I can use this technique to speed up my sketching process. Allowing myself to open up a bit more and try and make things less rigid. I tried seeing if I could do people blobs, which worked alright, but I'll have to scan those in later. I would suggest this thing to everyone, honestly.

Back from my bannery. I still cranked out some doodles while I was gone.

Armor concept (and color variations) for the Sceraphid class. Finally found a way to get the face centralized without it looking too wide-skulled in armor.

Also finalized insignias for the Mechrodian race and the Neominid race. The latter are basically augmented cyberpunks.

Also doodled an amazing
ly dumb
idea for a Chespin final evolution.

C.B.'s Tapirceratops concept was also too amazing not to try and doodle. Bottom-right.

YA2rDx2.png

Loxley

Here's a fairly quick illustration I did today of what I think Beorn will look like in the second Hobbit film - based off of descriptions we've gotten of him. I didn't intend for him to look so...well, "anime-ish"; sort of just happened as I was drawing :lol

5i58.jpg

C.B.

C.B.'s Tapirceratops concept was also too amazing not to try and doodle. Bottom-right.

Oh what man, this is awesome! Totally flattered, and looks like perhaps what it would like if it were a bit older....feel like drawing an even older one now haha. I owe you one.

Doing a sort of weekly study buddy thing with foxyfox and this week we're doing a colour chalange. Only using 2 colours + Black. (not allowed to mix them or anything either)

i6RmyzKHbEr68.gif

about 1 and a half making the laptop thing itself and about another trying to make the animation look decent. Oh and the subject was everyday life. Might do a couple other things for this theme before our week us up.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
There's a probably nice course coming up on Skillshare about character concept art, I enrolled to check it out. If anyone's interested, it's 20 bucks, 10 bucks for new members and (as I understand it) I also got a voucher for a friend referral that will give another 10$ discount. If anyone's interested in trying out if he or she can enroll for free with that, let me know, I honestly have no idea but thought it would be nice to share it with GAF.

Edit: I'll head off to bed now though, so don't be mad if I won't reply in the next few hours :)

Missed a day, will try and catch up. Want to finish this but yeah.. I seem to hardly ever draw more than one person in a picture, nor do i ever draw scifi type stuff so i thought there's only one way to get better

iQHb61elWWzKD.jpg

Time : about 3 hours? Maybe a bit less?
Tools : Moleskine sketchbook and mech pencil (parker .05mm)
Notes : It's okay to use curvy lines sometime. Use them! Also, learn how to have reasonable sizes that actually work between characters.

Anyone else think this looks kind of like a futuristic Of Mice and Men? Reminds me of George and Lennie somehow

Prax

There's a probably nice course coming up on Skillshare about character concept art, I enrolled to check it out. If anyone's interested, it's 20 bucks, 10 bucks for new members and (as I understand it) I also got a voucher for a friend referral that will give another 10$ discount. If anyone's interested in trying out if he or she can enroll for free with that, let me know, I honestly have no idea but thought it would be nice to share it with GAF.

Edit: I'll head off to bed now though, so don't be mad if I won't reply in the next few hours :)
Sounds like something I should try~~! oooh~
Though really, I'd just end up adapting an existing character and trying to make it work. Would that defeat the purpose of the workshop? >__>

I'm debating doing this. It obviously never hurts to get more education on character design, but the main thing that's screwing with me is under armor / flexibility when my concepts are in super suits / powered armor. I've been darting around realistic solutions on a race-to-race basis. For example:

Nullpunk: liquid manipulators, so their Glacius-styled supersuits are basically just alchemized out of nowhere and have their density modified according to where they need flexibility.

Mechrodian: robot people, most of their space meat is made of nanotech so they can overlay whatever metals necessary in the first place.

Becryon: symbiote blob people who don't have the same nervous system organics do, so cramming themselves into a suit of armor is a non-issue. Heavy reliance on magnetokinesis for dexterity.

Sheolites: Chozo-esque bird people with powerful psionics, who use telekinesis to keep floating armor (finger guards, etc.) in place.

Anyone have any recommendations to look into as far as realistic underarmor solutions go? I want a little realism under the super suits just so that my characters aren't chafing to death in-universe.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like something I should try~~! oooh~
Though really, I'd just end up adapting an existing character and trying to make it work. Would that defeat the purpose of the workshop? >__>

I literally have no idea. A collegue from work recommended it, 'cause the person doing the lessons is supposed to be amazing, so I'll just check it out for the first time as well.

3 things for today:

Basic character reference sheet for Horus in default armor. (warning: huge)

Species sigil for the Sheolites. (also huge)

jkIiqYm.png

Doodled 7 out of the 10 "pets" in Livechamber. Pets are basically campaign-exclusive, optional powerups guarded by minibosses. If you take out the minibosses you can use said pet for various effects (smushy cats grant zero-g, birds overclock your aim assist, etc.)

Top Bottom