• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Fantasy Football League (No Quitters 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Uh oh... Frankman wants to open up the switching-to-PPR discussion.
And Cloudy's still not back from his ban yet.

Wouldn't posting a thread over on Yahoo! garner more traction?

And what's with FPL still calling her team FPL-Defending Champs? What a misnomer.

Rough opening sched for Frankman this year:
- Week 1 vs. 2012 League Runner-Up
- Week 2 vs. 2011 League Runner-Up
- Week 3 vs. 2011 League Champion
- Week 4 vs. 2009 & 2012 League Champion

That's a bloodbath waiting to happen. You might be 0-4 before you face the easy part of your sched where you're served up Hookers & Blow and a parade of jobbers.

Yahoo! Friends and Family did their draft. 14-teamer, the results are stunningl
y amazing

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/213/draftresults
What a garbage team Salfino put together for himself. Yuckers!

Cloudy is changing the sched when he comes back. Considering this is a $65 league the division are ridiculously uneven. I'll bail before I play a game in that setup.

Also I don't want PPR; I want

- a 3rd WR position like Yahoo does in in the draft. Reduces the need to hoard.
- more scoring options on D (4th down Stops or maybe even Tackles for loss?)
- maybe 4.5 for QB passing TDs and -1.5 for INTs?
- -1.5 for fumbles and for pick sixes?
- using the 40+ yard passing/rushing/receiving play bonus.
- using the yardage bonuses we had in the NeoGAF Economy League
- lose the kicker nerf. 2 pts for FGs 0-19 and 20-29, 3 for 30-39, 4 for 40-49,and 5 for 50+. I mean if people are going to keep drafting them in round 9-10 LOL...

Hell, we still haven't even gone over the pot yet. No way I want last years payoff, let 1st place get close to 50% and be more than 2nd + 3rd.
What a garbage team Salfino put together for himself. Yuckers!
Safino doesn't believe in having RBs. I'm a Giants fan and even I know to stay away from their RB situation.

UberTag

Cripes, how many fantasy leagues does GAF have now? 4?
What happened to No Quitters being recognized as the sole league that matters?

We've lost our social standing. Now our only claim to fame is that we have the biggest pot. :(

I'd consider joining another league, too... except for the fact that somehow I'm already in 5 leagues this year despite spending practically zero time on draft prep this year due to avoiding most podcasts and my Animal Crossing addiction.

Not to mention I'm spending the first couple weekends of the season at TIFF watching movies. How am I suppose to manage multiple rosters with that distraction?

And now I may be heading off to Romania in October to support another console launch.

Ah well... I suppose I was long past due to have a bad fantasy season. And even minimal effort should be enough to take down the Shirtless league.
New personal goals for my fantasy season: beat Frankman once, beat Dinner Out once, do decent in the Shirtless league, suck everywhere else (but hopefully not my work league - they'll really rub it in).

Ah well... I suppose I was long past due to have a bad fantasy season. And even minimal effort should be enough to take down the Shirtless league.
New personal goals for my fantasy season: beat Frankman once, beat Dinner Out once, do decent in the Shirtless league, suck everywhere else (but hopefully not my work league - they'll really rub it in).
It's nice to want things you can't have.

Cloudy

Banned
Change the division setup, Cloudy. It's not fair in a money league to load up one division.

Did you read my response?

Just so we're clear on what division settings we have:

Division winners advance but are seeded according to overall standings: The winners of each division will advance to the playoffs and all other playoff teams will be determined by overall standings. Playoff seeds will be determined by overall standings regardless of division results.

That is the only impact. If you look at your schedule, you're not playing
anyone twice even. I really don't think this is a big deal either
way...

PS: Been reading the thread over at GAF. I think I'm
open to PPR as well. Maybe .5 per catch? It'll really cut out the RB
advantage in the flex spot

That said, I'm inclined to just do 2 divisions so winning one actually means something

rinker

Welcome back Cloudy -

If no one plays anyone twice, whats the point of a division anyway? It just leaves the possibility of someone getting into the playoffs who wouldn't have by overall standings.

I'm indifferent on PPR as long as its not too high, either way is cool.

Also, is leaguesafe all set up? We should get the payments going, need to weed out any bums before the last minute.

Cloudy

Banned
If no one plays anyone twice, whats the point of a division anyway? It just leaves the possibility of someone getting into the playoffs who wouldn't have by overall standings.

I've switched it to 2 divisions. That way, whoever wins them would have made the playoffs anyways. It's just for fun

I'm indifferent on PPR as long as its not too high, either way is cool.

.5?

Also, is leaguesafe all set up? We should get the payments going, need to weed out any bums before the last minute.

This. Only 6 people have paid. Cmon guys....

edit: You all got the emails, right? lol

Fuck PPR, it is the Devil. And this is coming from a guy who loves different ways of scoring. I mean that's like giving points for something the player is basically supposed to do. Why not give points for 20 carries then? Points for 10 targets for a WR? You see what I mean?

acksman

Can we get a recap pasted in here once all this jockey stuff has settled down on what the divisions if there is will be and scoring so I can plan accordingly.

I've made some tweaks to the settings. Nothing is final yet though and we can change them.

- Added Divisions with winners getting the top 2 playoff spots
- Dropping a bench spot (from 5 to 4) to discourage hoarding and have a deeper FA pool (I expect a lot of blowback on this one lol)
- Cutting the sack penalty to -0.25
- Dropping lost fumble penalty from -2 to -1
- Dropping FG misses from 20-29 yds from -2 to -1
a) eh
b) Fine with it, will there be an IR spot?
c) booooooo
d) Why? I don't think anyone was complaining about this.
e) no prob.

Cloudy

Banned
I changed the payment deadline to 8/28.

We need everyone to pay up ASAP so we're not stuck scrambling for an owner if someone backs out

ffdBTbH.png

Cloudy

Banned
I drafted in my work league this week. We have more players and WR is still super deep. What do you guys think about adding a 3rd WR?

Cloudy

Banned
Some folks have pmed me that they don't feel comfortable paying via LS. I researched it a lot before I decided to use it (and they have been around for a while) but I understand your reservations. I feel that your bank or credit card company would reimburse you if LeagueSafe somehow went belly up but I get the hesitation from some folks.

So here's the deal. There is a "paid offline" setting where I can mark you as paid if you just paypal me. Anyone who would rather do that should go ahead :)

Cloudy

Banned
On second thoughts, since we have till the 28th to refund all the leaguesafe funds, we might as well just stick with Paypal if more than a few people are going to send me their payments anyways lol

Let me see what league cancellation entails and maybe we'll just stick with Paypal for now. I really feel LS is a better option than handing one person all the money but I also feel good that some people trust me more than an escrow service :p

edit: There's not much to it and there's no cost but I think we should just leave it as is so we can prove to the skeptics that it's not a scam site.

Final Decision: Moving forward, LS is optional but preferred. Those of us putting funds in will be the NQ guinea pigs (the site's been around for years, though)

rinker

I joined a $100 yahoo pro, draft time 1PM central on Sep 1st (7 hours before ours) - if anyone interested, try to join.

If the PPR rules are still up for debate I vote 0.5 points per reception. Decent compromise between both ends of the spectrum.

BTW I paid via LeagueSafe, let me know if that was still kosher. Really looking forward to draft day gents.

EDIT: I hate the Yahoo redesign as well. Way too complicated and messy to navigate.

I just don't like the fact that a player can gain points for something you're innately supposed to know how to do. It's too easy a way to gain additive points... look at it this way:

1) KR/PR yards is based in field position and if the returner a) doesn't fair-catch b) actually can break a big return.
2) In the NE League last year Puddles' bonuses were based on stats that were somewhat hard to attain:

Passing was 1 point at 300 yards; 1.5 points at 350 yards; 2 points at 400 yards
Rushing was 1 point at 100 yards; 1.5 points at 150 yards; 2 points at 200 yards
Receiving was 1 point at 100 yards; 1.5 points at 150 yards; 2 points at 200 yards
40+ yard TDs Passed/Run/Caught were .5 bonus to the parties involved

What I mean is the person has to give effort to actually get those points. PPR, a guy can catch a ball, get 1 yard and still get a bonus... seems bleh to me. Never liked the format, and I usually like any way to vary up the game.

EDIT: Cloudy here's the Settings game

What I mean is the person has to give effort to actually get those points. PPR, a guy can catch a ball, get 1 yard and still get a bonus... seems bleh to me. Never liked the format, and I usually like any way to vary up the game.

Can't you make the same argument for 1 yard TD carries?

Cloudy

Banned
I joined a $100 yahoo pro, draft time 1PM central on Sep 1st (7 hours before ours) - if anyone interested, try to join.

I'll keep that in mind and might (will probably lol) join.

After thinking it over, I'm pretty sure there was collusion in the $100 league Sir Garbageman and I played in last year. I'm almost certain one guy had 2 teams. We voted down a BS trade so it wasn't a big factor but still...

Cloudy

Banned

In my mind, PPR is necessary to balance the value of RBs as opposed to WRs and TEs in such a deep league. No need to overthink it

I'd also suggest we make the flex spot W/R/T if we add PPR

PS: Vote on the league site

In my mind, PPR is necessary to balance the value of RBs as opposed to WRs and TEs in such a deep league. No need to overthink it

I'd also suggest we make the flex spot W/R/T if we add PPR

PS: Vote on the league site
2 RBs, as many as 4 WRs (with the W/T Flex). Pretty balanced to me scoring-wise.

My ideal setup is :

1 QB / 2 RBs / 2 WRs / 1 TE / 1 Flex (can be RB, WR, or TE) /1 K / 1 DEF / 5 Bench

But I'm down for whatever you guys want to go with.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm having 2nd thoughts about the 3WR thing. I dropped my #4 WR to speculate on a RB in my other league and he was snagged immediately. Now the best WR in the league is Kerley!

It isn't as deep as I thought after people made waiver moves. I'll go with whatever the majority wants but while workable, bye-weeks will be tough lol

Cloudy

Banned
BTW I just noticed someone (Puddles?) dropped out without even telling me. WTF?

We need one more. Lemme check the waitlisters

Can't you make the same argument for 1 yard TD carries?
No, because TDs by themselves carry a set value. Also, you can't assume a RB will score from the 1 on a run and can get stoned, which will give them zero or even negative value. To take it further, why not give RBs points per carry (PPC)? No one does that yet PPR is pretty much the same, the only difference is its reason for existing.

Cloudy

Banned
My ideal setup is :

1 QB / 2 RBs / 2 WRs / 1 TE / 1 Flex (can be RB, WR, or TE) /1 K / 1 DEF / 5 Bench

But I'm down for whatever you guys want to go with.

We've done 5 bench spots till this season but 4 will deter QB hoarding for byes. I'm not for or against RBs in flex now that we have PPR but I think we've already made a lot of changes. Maybe next season :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom