• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Fantasy Football league(s) 2k9

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Usually these fantasy football leagues get left in two or three different places so I figured what we can do is establish one thread to kind of corral all of the different ideas and conversations in the lead-up to NeoGAF leagues. Who wants to be in one? Do you want to create the same leagues we had last year? etc.

Even what we could do, if we get enough players, set up like 2 or 4 leagues to end on Week 15 or 16, and have the 2 champions play on paper (we can keep track of the players/stats ourselves) so that we can declare a NeoGAF Fantasy Football Champion for what I believe would be the first time ever.

Let me know what you all think.

Milabrega

You couldn't wait for August 1st, you just had to jump the gun! And in its own thread outside of football gaf too? For shame!

Last year I believe we ran 4 leagues (the 4th had some double dippers to fill slots)

Milabrega

I like the Idea of the Overall Gaf Champion among the different leagues. Would have to have all the leagues use the same rule set of course. I'd like to suggest we make the switch from Yahoo this year to ESPN, I'm aware stat tracker is finally free on Yahoo but the ESPN equivalent is better and has always been free. ESPN also offers up better support for leagues and imo a better layout/organize tools for managers.

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, Flex(wr,rb), TE, K, DEF set up?

LiveWire

Milabrega said:
I like the Idea of the Overall Gaf Champion among the different leagues. Would have to have all the leagues use the same rule set of course. I'd like to suggest we make the switch from Yahoo this year to ESPN, I'm aware stat tracker is finally free on Yahoo but the ESPN equivalent is better and has always been free. ESPN also offers up better support for leagues and imo a better layout/organize tools for managers.

I'd say Flex WR/TE. Flex WR/RB usually screws people at the tail end of a snake draft.

MojoRisin

Milabrega said:

I'm in and that seems to be the de facto setup for most leagues and works quite well. I've used Yahoo all my life for fantasy football but I wouldn't be averse to trying something new (and potentially better?).

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
ESPN's setup is better than yahoo.
Played in two leagues on espn last year and one on yahoo. Its just better.

GQman2121

Banned
I would be willing to do one. Lord knows I've done enough mock drafts in the last two weeks to be prepared for what ever kind of format you'll end up using.

SleazyC

Played last year and had a blast, I'll join in if you have space. Hopefully this time I don't miss the draft...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Will there be a pickem "league" this season? I prefer those to full fantasy....

Tamanon

Banned
DarienA said:
Will there be a pickem "league" this season? I prefer those to full fantasy....

There's always a pick'em league! That comes a week or two before the season though. Probably be two of them too, confidence and regular.

punkypine

if this is yahoo, i'm down for it (they have live scoring and other features for free now too)

if not, i'll pass, i prefer to just be able to check my teams in one place. i check yahoo a ton for my other teams, so i'd be active as opposed to ESPN which would be a hassle

Pimpwerx

DIBS!!!! I missed last season, but I am so in on this one. Let me in one of the top-tier leagues, please. I think I've demonstrated competence in the fantasy game the two years before last season. Hell, I called the sleeper hit of the draft, Adrian Peterson, when everyone else laughed at me. Put me in coach, I'm ready to play. PEACE.

I'm in. Hell I'm in if I have to start a yahoo plus league. (I already GM a keeper but...) Heck I'll GM either type if called upon.

The one thing I strongly suggest in rulesets is SUN-TUES waivers. One of the big problems that happens in leagues is people dumping/adding players during the sunday games.

(I've seen lots of leagues decided just because somebody drops a player who hasn't played yet on Sunday for the big money FA of the day; like a Steve Slaton or Antonio Bryant, totally going past the waiver order.)

Milabrega said:

Haven't tried ESPN yet, no prob with trying it.

I also prefer QB/2xRB/2xWR/Flex[WR/RB]/TE/K/DEF, with SUN-TUES waivers and fractional points to eliminate all this tie garbage.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I was gonna suggest switching from Yahoo over to NFL.com so everyone can get NFL Mobile and I can track everything on my blackberry at work :lol

Anyways, yeah. If we do the ultimate champion (which I think would be badass!) then we should have either 2 or 4 leagues. Say we set the league limit to 10 teams, and each league champion has to be decided by week 15. Week 16 we take each league champion and pair them off randomly, a few of us can keep scores in the forum. Week 17 the two winners play each other for all the marbles. Maybe we all chip in a few bucks for a NeoGAF Fantasy Football Champion Applebees Giftcard or something :lol

I dont know. But I thought it'd be fun to try it out.

I'm going to keep track of everyone that's posting here and then once we figure out a list of everyone who is in, we'll start assigning people to leagues. Enough of us have been Commish before in NeoGAF leagues that I'm sure we can find 3 other volunteers (naturally I'll commish one league).

My thinking is we can do this with anywhere from 32 teams to 56 but more than 56 and it starts to get vulnerable. If we end up with an odd number, well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. What do you guys think?

R2D4

Banned
ESPN's fantasy football is awesome. I was 13-2 last year and still LOST! The same guy out of 8 people beat me once and again in the playoffs. I was pissed.

Crazymoogle said:
I also prefer QB/2xRB/2xWR/Flex[WR/RB]/TE/K/DEF, with SUN-TUES waivers and fractional points to eliminate all this tie garbage.
Count me in for both fantasy and pick'em... along with seconding all of Crazymoogle's observations about game day waiver frenzy. That nonsense needs to be capped until a pre-determined time on Tuesday with waiver priority respected. None of this dumping of benchwarmers/bye week fodder for a team's new surprise starting RB/QB/WR.

Cloudy

Banned
I'm thinking about setting up a money league to discourage quitters (myself included lol) after the first few weeks. PM me if interested (Hope this isn't against TOS)

Nothing crazy but $50 to $100 to play and top 3 get the cash...

PBY

Banned
A few things:
A. I'm definitely in- yahoo, espn- wherever: I love me some fantasy football
B ^ To the poster above, yeah money might be good to discourage quitters, but I was thinking more like 10-20; I don't know about you guys, but 100 bux is kind of a lot for me.
C. I think that if we ever get leagues set, we should somehow try to work Madden into the mix- if we have a good group of people who like football/are active, it would be cool to set up an online franchise (I know we have a thread in Gaming, but the reality is that is freaking hard to get a group of devoted people who wont flake out halfway through the season- thus if there is some crossover between the fantasy and Madden leagues, maybe there will be some accountability?) I dunno, just an idea

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
peterb0y said:
A few things:
A. I'm definitely in- yahoo, espn- wherever: I love me some fantasy football
B ^ To the poster above, yeah money might be good to discourage quitters, but I was thinking more like 10-20; I don't know about you guys, but 100 bux is kind of a lot for me.
C. I think that if we ever get leagues set, we should somehow try to work Madden into the mix- if we have a good group of people who like football/are active, it would be cool to set up an online franchise (I know we have a thread in Gaming, but the reality is that is freaking hard to get a group of devoted people who wont flake out halfway through the season- thus if there is some crossover between the fantasy and Madden leagues, maybe there will be some accountability?) I dunno, just an idea
Agree 100 is a bit much.

As for C. thats a problem because not all of us are on the same system. I would love to but I only have a Ps3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom