• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF FrontPage Discussion: It's all about the Entitlements

Andokuky

Banned
Here's a simple off topic question, can you make game saves to the PS3 HDD? I don't see how else it would be done with no place for memory sticks on the $500 PS3.

RuGalz

Andokuky said:
Here's a simple off topic question, can you make game saves to the PS3 HDD? I don't see how else it would be done with no place for memory sticks on the $500 PS3.
Why do you expect not able to save to hdd especially that every ps3 ships with one? Also whenever the words "memory card" is used, it includes hdd and any form of portable memory supported by PS3.

Andokuky

Banned
RuGalz said:
Why do you expect not able to save to hdd especially that every ps3 ships with one? Also whenever the words "memory card" is used, it includes hdd and any form of portable memory supported by PS3.

Who said I thought otherwise? I figured that would be the case since every PS3 comes with a HDD but I just wanted to make sure as I don't keep up with every bit of info released on the PS3 and last time I bothered to check up on the subject they were saying you can't save games to the HDD.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
DJ Brannon said:
I suspect that if EB can't make money off this, they'll hawk 360 software with great vengeance and furious anger.

not like it'd matter since it'd all be used...:lol

Drek

jetjevons said:
I don't think it's that big a deal. In the end, if Gamestop/EB want to sell used games, they will just have to factor in the price of the user having to buy an entitlement. Rather than paying $30 for the game you'll pay $25 to EB and $5 to Sony (or whatever).

I DO hope there is some sort of rental/lending system in place however.
Lets be honest though. Gamestop/EB and other preplayed resellers won't bat an eye at this. They'll leave the prices just as high and let PS3 gamers find out for themselves when they get home. A few nice employees might warn people in advance, but it won't be company policy. Most people don't play online, they won't change their bottom line to accomodate the few.

In online intensive games they might, but then those games will likely get shit trade in values to off-set.

These companies have been giving $10 credit for games they then sell for $45, they aren't exactly consumer oriented.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I was talking to a friend of mine who works in retail about the more specific rumour that used PS3 games would require a fee to play online, and the first thing he said to me was "oh, that sounds a bit like Call of Duty, Game of the Year Edition on 360". He wasn't entirely sure on the specifics, but he said that if you have a new copy and go online with it, it registers to your account, so that used copies don't get the extra maps you can otherwise download online for free. He wasn't entirely sure, but he thought there might be other online repurcussions too for used copies of the game. He said, though, that they still take in used copies of the game - but for less value. I hadn't heard of that before..just wondering if anyone here had the details? Might indicate what would happen with used PS3 games if they came without benefits the new copies did i.e. they may simply end up with less trade-in value at retail, and cheaper.

RuGalz

gofreak said:
I was talking to a friend of mine who works in retail about the more specific rumour that used PS3 games would require a fee to play online, and the first thing he said to me was "oh, that sounds a bit like Call of Duty, Game of the Year Edition on 360". He wasn't entirely sure on the specifics, but he said that if you have a new copy and go online with it, it registers to your account, so that used copies don't get the extra maps you can otherwise download online for free. He wasn't entirely sure, but he thought there might be other online repurcussions too for used copies of the game. He said, though, that they still take in used copies of the game - but for less value. I hadn't heard of that before..just wondering if anyone here had the details? Might indicate what would happen with used PS3 games if they came without benefits the new copies did i.e. they may simply end up with less trade-in value at retail, and cheaper.
I assume you can't resell FF11 at all either since the game permanently ties itself to your gamertag first time you register the game with *no* way of transfering it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:

Sony should sue MS and Activision for patent violation. :p

Top Bottom