• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Game of the Year 2018 |OT| Voting thread [Up: Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
Welcome to the NeoGAF 2018 GOTY voting thread [vis_name][/vis_name]!!

e7V5scc.png

The format change from last year has carried over so please read the thread.

Rules
Deadline:
As per countdown timer below;
t1547683200z0.png

Minimum votes: You must vote at least three times;

Disqualified votes
Game spamming:
If you use the same game in more than one position, then your vote will be removed from the ballot count. Please bear this in mind for minimum votes above;

A game I want to vote for isn't listed
I tried to include the most common games, and even asked beforehand. But if there is one you really want added let me know. It takes an hour to refresh after being added. I'll be honest I don't have a huge amount of spare time and this took some effort on it's own. As a result there will definitely be titles that I've missed off. So just drop them here or PM me and I'll add them.

They will appear at the end of the list prefixed by an 'X'. Games added so far (only just added, so will appear within 60 minutes of post time):

Code:
X - Solar Flux
X - GRIS
X - Below
X - The Spy Who Shrunk Me
X - Catastronauts
X - JCB Pioneer Mars
X - Azur Lane
X - Steel Rats
X - The Hex

Can I post my list/choices in the thread?
Certainly. I've hosted it like this mainly for the automation. It makes the demands on my time less. But also, I feel it might actually throw up more authentic results without people getting a flavour for the 2/3 titles that are leading. Having said that, please do share your list or partial list if so inclined, with your thoughts on the games.

Why the three words?
It's hard when picking out an individual quote to really capture an entire communities thoughts, so I'm going to try and capture the most common thoughts from everyone to paint a broader picture. You can see the tag clouds from last year that were built and I'm sure you'll agree they are actually pretty cool:

Eligibility
  • Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on. There is always a debate on this but ultimately if the content is appearing on the platform for the first time, it could be the first time certain players had the opportunity to play the title. It also provides a nice meta on the timeless quality of certain games, or the current thinking of modern games.
  • DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable.
  • Episodes of games released this year are eligible.

Isn't it a bit early?
Slightly earlier than previous years, but again, I'm limited by my free time so it's either this or nothing sadly. I don't want to be doing this on christmas eve when I've got family round etc.

Are Early Access games eligible?
No, Early Access, beta, demo, and Greenlight games are not eligible. PC games must reach full release, or version 1.0 in order to be eligible.

Can I update my vote?
As it's form based, no. You need to put your votes in one sitting.

Scoring
Scoring is based on user rankings on a simple ladder scale. Game in position 1 scores 10 points, game in position 2 scores 9 points...game in position 8 scores 2 points etc.

Results
I've chosen midweek as the end voting day, because hopefully that gives me enough time to do the laborious stuff and get the results up for the weekend.

Extra awards
As the genre and platform awards are just filtered titles, I decided to add a few extra categories this year for fun. I did consider a wooden spoon type of award but we should try to remain positive, so the extra categories at the end of the ballot are

- Award for outstanding graphical achievement;
- Award for outstanding narrative;
- Award for best co-op/multiplayer game;
- Award for outstanding OST;
- Award for best post-release support (patches, bugfixes, improvements, content);
- Award for outstanding achievement in world building;

These categories have outright winners only, there is no ranking result. Winner takes all.

Happy voting. Look forward to the results! And the discussions below!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
AH for a moment I thought you'd actually typed "Husky" and I was FREAKED OUT
Man, I don't think I've bought a single 2018 game. I get everything on sale, and the backlog's plenty big already.

Jae Mara

I need to work overtime on playing the more notable titles that came out this year. I shall forsake family and friends just like our developer brothers and sisters did to create these games so I can vote in good conscience. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I'll give DQ XI a shot. I'll fill the form tomorrow.

And thanks for the thread OP.

Last edited:
A game I want to vote for isn't listed
I tried to include the most common games, and even asked beforehand. But if there is one you really want added let me know. It takes an hour to refresh after being added. I'll be honest I don't have a huge amount of spare time and this took some effort on it's own. As a result there will definitely be titles that I've missed off. So just drop them here or PM me and I'll add them.

They will appear at the end of the list prefixed by an 'X'. Games added so far (only just added, so will appear within 60 minutes of post time):

Can You please add Azur Lane ?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t know why my name is in the OP, but I like it!

Many many years ago I implemented a #you# tag as an extension in phpBB on a forum I ran and used it for evil. Things like "#you# is a complete arsehole" or whatever. Good way to create chaos ;) I'm a bad bad person.

Bayo3GOTY

Neo Member
The only game i played this year was Call of Duty Black Ops 4. So thats my game of the year i must have over 15 hours played in that already

Last edited by a moderator:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
To me it was down to Hollow Knight or Celeste. Incredibly hard choice. I think I had more pure fun with Celeste, but I spent more time with Hollow Knight and also had an incredible amount of fun with that as well, so I gave Hollow Knight the slight edge. Also loved several other games like AC: Odyssey, God of War. Hollow Knight was so damn good though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think I cannot vote, because I have only played two good new games this year, Sonic Mania Plus and Crash N-Sane Trilogy :(. Soo I'll just post this:
1. Sonic Mania Plus
2. Crash N-Sane Trilogy

Morel_PL

Neo Member
I can't vote :(
As I know this game will not win, but always it's good to have at least one psychofan of it :)
The name is Steel Rats - is there an option to add it ?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Please add the game "The Hex". Really quite brilliant indie game I highly suggest you try. Don't let the art put you off.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I can't vote :(
As I know this game will not win, but always it's good to have at least one psychofan of it :)
The name is Steel Rats - is there an option to add it ?
What is Kao's role in it?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone not voting for Kingdom Come Deliverance will get a kick in the balls.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Could we get Pokemon Let’s Go included please. It was a huge, amazing game, would be my number two. Sorry for missing the request earlier!

brenobnfm

Hope God of War doesn't win here, beat the game and still can't see what people saw in this game except for graphics, it was just a mediocre video game.

Orpheum

Not gonna vote this year. Only played warframe and God of War. I really need to step it up...but warframe was really addicting this year

Wunray

My game of the year this year was Red Dead Redemption 2, it really is the evolution of how an open world is to be done and how to interact with said open world. Also Arthur being a GOAT MC is a bonus, in my opinion he is better than John Marston.

My list goes like this :

1. RDR 2
2. God of War
3. Celeste
4. Spiderman
5. Spyro trilogy
6. Guacamelee! 2
7. DQ 11
8. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate
9. Ni No Kuni 2
10. Monster Hunter World (PC)

Last edited:

odhiex

I wish I could finish more games before the deadline so that I could post my final predict. Awesome year!!

I voted but one column was glitchy on the phone so left that as it is.

The three words description was odd but I tried to be descriptive in it such as "Gameplay, Soundtrack, Characters" or "Unique Puzzle Action".

Not sure if that helps but I hope they sre not discounted! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom