• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF gamer crafts:"Game sprite perlers edition"

Olorin

Wow, those Lyns look amazing!
Here are my first 3 attempts:
mysprites.jpg

A 1-up mushroom, Link and Hector from Fire Emblem.
I only bought a cheap box with 12 colors and a tiny 14x14 board, so I've used some paint on Hector and Link needs some paint too because I didn't have any brown perls.

ShinNL

Oh, field sprite hector, that's cute :D

Made 2 more battle sprites yesterday:

Hector
MCPhoto_20100314_195843.png

Cameron (enemy)
MCPhoto_20100315_012329.png

I'm making the enemy reversed so I can put all the red sprites on the left side of my wall and the blue ones on the right side.

It's great to see so many people churning out fabulous work.

Here's one I slapped together for my chick...

0314101831.jpg

Yeah, you don't need much to do Siegfried from FFVI. Hell, I made one and posted it a few pages back. I have big plans for him. Heh.

Brashnir

Trying to use up these extra beads, so I made the obligatory Mega Man (Are there any other NES sprites that hold up so well? I can't think of any) plus an attempt at Metal Slug. As I was doing the Metal Slug one, it became clear that I didn't have enough gradient levels for several parts of the sprite, but I palette swapped and downgraded it the best I could.

I like to think of it as a sprite from some long-lost Genesis version.

9iqm2q.jpg

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Just in case anyone is in the market for some Perler Beads, there is a sale running at the official site until the end of the month.

The 1000-count bags of individual colors are now $1.99 (down from $2.79), and the 6000-count bags of black and white beads are now $4.99 (down from $6.99).

KuroNeeko

kswiston said:
It's not a pearling craft, but my wife made LittleBigPanet cake toppers when we were married 6 months ago...

Just wanted to take a minute to thank you and your wife for the write-up. Those cake toppers are awesome!

shaowebb

FrostuTheNinja said:
tempo.jpg

I glued some magnets to his feet. Also looks cool on a refrigerator door.

My God...someone else has ACTUALLY PLAYED TEMPO!

Seriously this thrills me deeply.

To everyone in this thread who has started making sprites ...thank you.
This thread seems to have really touched the community here and I am glad that I was able to start a thread that has helped create a community of gaf-ers that now create their own sprite art.
Keep up the great work guys! I love seeing all that you do.

shaowebb

I am making this post at about 2:30 am where I live and I can't tell if this is going to be a good idea or not when I wake up in the morning but...hell with it here it goes.

PERLER ANNOUNCEMENT

I can't express enough how much this thread's positive responses mean to me as a gaming fan and I wish there was a way to celebrate our little community and all we do here with these bead sprite projects.

So I wanted to try each month getting a perler sprite theme going for that month for us to enjoy making sprites from.

THE PLAN AND THE PRIZE FOR THE FAVORITE SPRITE MADE
The way it will work is very simple.
  • Each month celebrate's a different game or theme like "bosses" or "only sprites from a certain console" or some other theme.
  • We then make sprites for that month's theme.
  • At the end of the month whoever started that month's theme gets to select which perler sprite (or group of perler sprites) someone did that they liked the best and the person who created the winning selection gets as their prize to select the next month's theme.

In this way we can all get a shot to showcase our work and also have a chance to name a game or theme that appeals to us that we would want to see others create perler sprites for.
So whether you want to win and name "Terranigma" as your theme or whether you want to win and get folks to make sprites of "Custom Kirby Transformations" it's up to you.

I hope everyone who wants to try this has fun.

Since this month is almost over I will choose the first theme for anyone who wants to participate. It's probably one of the easiest game series to create sprites from. If no one sees this in time to participate and I do not have anyone to select a winner from I will just extend the first theme into the APRIL 2010 PERLER SPRITE THEME.

MARCH 2010 PERLER SPRITE THEME (for what little time is left in this month to make them)

SUPER MARIO BROS 3

(chosen winner gets to pick the next months perler sprite theme)

PS-This thread is still meant to post ANY perler sprite creations in regardless of the monthly themes. If you wish to participate in any month's theme simply do so but do not feel like your not allowed to keep posting all of your wonderful creations.
We all look forward to any new perler sprites anyone here creates so keep on making them folks. This is just a way to try to add some extra excitement and rewards to those who post here who have helped make this thread so great.

Wark

I gotta make some of this shit! I'm still thinking of ideas. I think it'll be Final Fantasy related.

If I were to offer money to some of you creative artists, would you recreate some of your work for lil ol me? Or point me to some sites that you prefer to pick up your creative supplies from so I can do it myself over my spring break? I got a ton of free time of my hands between now and April 5th and something like this would kill time well.

Lolligag

Would love to do something like this, but I'll probably buy the things needed but never get to it. Like I have a large package of terra cota clay but haven't even opened it. :(

You guys should suggest some interesting characters for me to model and maybe I'll post pics with my crappy cellphone!!

If the ideas inspire me enough.

I'm just about to order some more beads for the weekend and i'll grab some SMB3 maps and sprites too.

I wanted to try the Pixelblocks but they're hard to find in the UK and most places that have them are out of stock all the time which makes me think they're not ordering any more stock :(

Sweet. My local ToysRus carries pearling stuff. I happened to come accross it by chance because my girlfriend dragged me along to shop for baby stuff for her sister's new baby. Now I have to find some good Sonic and other SEGA character patterns on the net. I am so going to make a ton of these things!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
bookmarking this thread. will probably pick up supplies next week when I get paid. particularly a very good selection of colors from the perler site. This is amazing.

This thread has really made me want to try some of this stuff. But what colors should I get? I suppose a bucket of perler beads would be the cheapest, since I haven an IKEA about 10 minutes from where I live. I'd mostly like to do some NES sprites, but I'd really like to do some Super Metroid sprites, like Samus and Mother Brain (the secnd form. Yeah I know, it's going to be enormous :lol ).

EDIT: I'm in Sweden btw, and is there any online place that sells beads cheaply and ships to here?

ShinNL

Snytbaggen said:
This thread has really made me want to try some of this stuff. But what colors should I get? I suppose a bucket of perler beads would be the cheapest, since I haven an IKEA about 10 minutes from where I live. I'd mostly like to do some NES sprites, but I'd really like to do some Super Metroid sprites, like Samus and Mother Brain (the secnd form. Yeah I know, it's going to be enormous :lol ).

EDIT: I'm in Sweden btw, and is there any online place that sells beads cheaply and ships to here?
I recommend not getting any mixed buckets. I haven't tried but I freak out when one of my beads fall into a different color box. I can't imagine the horror of all colors being mixed (like my box full of colors falling over... zomg)

Brashnir

shaowebb said:
MARCH 2010 PERLER SPRITE THEME (for what little time is left in this month to make them)

SUPER MARIO BROS 3

(chosen winner gets to pick the next months perler sprite theme)

Early Entry:

fbm1s4.jpg

Cowie

I've been meaning to get into this for quite some time now. A friend of mine picked up some materials and got started, and that was the inspiration I needed to get off my ass and get to it.

26116_572206851039_31800821_33586101_6527850_n.jpg

I'm a little sad about the ironing on my Wine-Loving Ghost from Mother 3 (some of the holes fused completely, which would look okay from a distance if it was at least consistent). I need to make at least one more Medusa head, and hang them on my wall at different heights to give Castlevania fans fits of frustration.

I bought a mixed bucket of 11,000 beads. Don't do that. It's a great start to a bead collection, but the amount of time I spend digging for a specific color bead (read: Black) in my huge assorted bucket probably doubles the time I spend putting my sprites together.

Snytbaggen said:
Okay, so I won't buy a mixed bucket :lol

But what colors should I start with?

Well, decide what sprites you want to make and order the corrispective colors

8 bit sprites don't need so many colors and also you can already make interesting things with just 1 or 2 pegboards.
16 bit sprites need a great variety of colors (i use hama and there are 48 variations) and 2 pegboards are the minimum (for example, my Sonic for Sonic 3 is 2 pegboards and also Minnie is 2 pegboards)(didn't post Minnie yet, i'll do as soon as i finish work)

I think a good start is buying 2 pegboards and 6-8 colors

Some seriously awesome work here guys!
Just curious though... anyone want to do some commisioned work?

I LOVE that Mario on Yoshi.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
None of the beads stuff, but suicide_mission on the Half-Life forum I visit made this awesome bit of Fortressry;

sam0439.jpg

It even moves.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This thread is full of amazing. Can't look through it all as much as I want now, but seriously cool looking stuff that some of you have made.

oracrest

Soneet said:
Edit: Sharing some things: the empty space bead doesn't work. If you iron it, it won't connect. So I just glued it afterwards. Lyn hair tip had a lot of these.

A trick that you can do is add a pixel next to a standalone so it has something to melt onto. Your sprite won't be 100% accurate, but you wont notice the extra pixel 99% of the time. I have had to do this with some of my perlers.

pubba

Amazing stuff. I'm going to IKEA tomorrow to buy a huge bucket and give this a try.

Have some ideas that will hopefully turn out OK. Thanks for the thread!

I've been thinking... For the price of 3 separate colors, I can get a whole IKEA bucket. I wonder if I won't buy from IKEA instead...

oracrest

Nightz said:
I visited this thread for the first time today and now I really want to try this. :D

Quick question: How big of a pegboard should I get? Will this work?

That will do characters about as big as a snes final fantasy character. The sprites are bigger than you think, I would say get 4.

Cowie

Nightz said:
I visited this thread for the first time today and now I really want to try this. :D

Quick question: How big of a pegboard should I get? Will this work?

From a quick glance, that board looks to be about 29x29. Some smaller sprites that will work for, but for example, my friend made a Simon Belmont from Castlevania 1 who is 30 pixels tall, and required a second board. Fortunately the board you've linked looks like it can be connected to other boards easily enough. I'd say for a starter you probably only need 2 boards that size, but I went ahead and bought 4 just in case.

shaowebb

Brashnir said:
Early Entry:

fbm1s4.jpg

And Brashnir takes an early lead!
Im glad that this idea turned out to be a fun one. I look forward to seeing what all Mario 3 entries show up from now until April.
Especially because in April I plan on doing some perlers again under whatever theme is chosen by the winner.
Keep it up guys!

Cowie said:
From a quick glance, that board looks to be about 29x29.

yes, it's 29x29

Cowie said:
Some smaller sprites that will work for, but for example, my friend made a Simon Belmont from Castlevania 1 who is 30 pixels tall, and required a second board. Fortunately the board you've linked looks like it can be connected to other boards easily enough.

yes, they can easily connected

Cowie said:
I'd say for a starter you probably only need 2 boards that size, but I went ahead and bought 4 just in case.

that's the same i did, when you start 29x29 seems so large, but after you start doing more complex sprites you realized peagboards are never enough

a solution could be using mini beads, so the pegboard would be 58x58, but afaik only hama has mini beads

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Snytbaggen said:
I've been thinking... For the price of 3 separate colors, I can get a whole IKEA bucket. I wonder if I won't buy from IKEA instead...
You can do that but just remember you'll have to seperate those colors. As someone who has done that I can safely assure you that the extra couple of bucks saved isn't worth the trouble and time wasted.

Jive Turkey said:
You can do that but just remember you'll have to seperate those colors. As someone who has done that I can safely assure you that the extra couple of bucks saved isn't worth the trouble and time wasted.

I'll second that. I spent a good solid 8 hours separating a whole bucket

Top Bottom