• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF gamer crafts:"Game sprite perlers edition"

shaowebb

I am going to be doing off and on a series of videogame related crafts that I would like to show fellow gaf-ers how to do.
Each of these will result in quick, inexpensive merchandise that you the gamer can now show off and enjoy.
I plan on covering a range of things later including more lengthy tutorials for armor and propmaking if enough people seem interested in making their own stuff.

For Now lets begin.
--------------------------------
Making giant videogame sprites cheaply for decoration.

This is a fun way to decorate your home as I have done.

What we will be doing is known as perler-ing. This is because what you will be doing is using little plastic beads to create sprites and the beads most commonly found are called "Perler Beads."
You can also use other brands of beads like Hama or Fuzeart.

This is just a sample of what you will be able to make with these.

PICT0019.jpg

I sometimes take sheets of magnetic paper and hotglue them to these to make fridge magnets but in general I just put them on my walls.

*ATTENTION: For those too lazy to read here are some vids that will generally describe all you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsseimxm1Yw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX3BQbR66UM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI2sr8qpH_8

-------------
Materials: All materials can be found at craft stores, Wal-marts and of course ebay and amazon for cheap.
Bucket of beads [$6-$12]
51RSHS0BAAL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

Pegboards[$1-$2]
pegboard.jpg

Ironing paper [$2 for 6pk](also found in buckets)

ironingpaper.jpg

Reverse action tweezers "recommended" [$2-$5]

RAJT.jpg

Electric Iron (turn steam setting off)

Electric_Iron.jpg

--------------------
Basically what you do is pretty simple.
Firstly you get a sprite sheet online like these.
Or take a screenshot from any emulator you may be playing it on.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/shaowebb/SMB2-EnemiesObjects.png
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/shaowebb/ff6-kefka-sheet.gif
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/shaowebb/KirbyPowers.gif

Secondly either go into photoshop and click "show grid" and then zoom in until your image perfectly fills in the grid or simply go to this site and upload the sprite you wish to make to have it gridded out for you instantly.

http://www.edsfamily.com/projects/perlerpal/

Thirdly simply use this image as a map now and match pixel for pixel the image of the sprite onto your pegboard in perler beads. I recommend reverse tweezers for this since you may suffer hand cramps using your fingers or even regular tweezers for long periods.
If you dont have any thats fine I made at least 5 by hand before buying tweezers but think about it since it also save a TON of time. Tweezers nearly tripled how fast I could do this.
Worms_003_1228596506_300x225.jpg

Fourthly lay your ironing paper over the perler and iron it on a setting without steam until all the beads melt together.
I tend to peal it off the board after wards and lay paper on the backside and fuse it as well for stability and symmetry.
I recommend this highly.

And your done!

I use these for coasters, hanging decorations in my car and at christmas, fridge magnets (after gluing magnets to them) and in general as wall decorations.

my wall
pict0004.jpg

Simply use push pins to stick these to dry wall invisibly with no real damage done to your walls that anyone can notice.

On a special note any colors you cant find in beads simply use acrylic paints to create. The acrylic paint when dry looks all plastic like the beads and does not peel. This happens sometimes when I need a shade of gray that doesnt exist. Simply designate some bead you have in abundance like a pink or something you got saddled with as "your gray" make the sprite and then paint the pink beads afterwards. Tubes of acrylic are less than a dollar and are found at walmarts and all craft stores as well.

And thats all for this edition of NEOGAF gamer crafts!
Post your creations in this thread to show us your work and any questions, spritesheets or usefull links.
Take care and happy gaming.

shaowebb

Mejilan said:
Wow, those are so geekily awesome.

Thank you. The megaman ones generally only take about 10 minutes to make so we make a lot of them. These are generally considered a medium sized perler project.

Mario and kirby ones take only a few minutes at all.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You should use these to create "ads" for that "ITT, we create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Current game:" thread!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Awesome. I considered making some about one year ago, but couldn't find a store that shipped beads to Italy for cheap. I'd better check Amazon.co.uk.

fernoca

*Bookmark'd*

I've always liked making crafts and stuff, since very little my mom usually made me Pac-Man, Ninja Turtles stuff...we're planning on doing a few LittleBigPlanet Sackboys..

shaowebb

Everyone said:
Im glad everyone here enjoyed this. Hopefully this thread will get some nice hits and I can fill a niche for folks here and post more craft tutorials in the future.

Just thought I would show something incredible a guy who goes by the name Dr Octoroc did.

He did the super metroid shuttle. Just think about that for a second and let it sink in.
Megaman is the size of my HAND. This shuttle would be roughly the size of an entertainment center.

2688284410_f26d151275.jpg

He also did this and many others. I believe he does commissions for those wanting things this large.
2687471275_7b56759f9e.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
Not entirely on topic, but I made a sprite related craft a little while ago.

MarioPillow.jpg

Didn't turn out quite as well as I wanted, but it's still pretty neat.

taku

KevinCow said:
Not entirely on topic, but I made a sprite related craft a little while ago.

Didn't turn out quite as well as I wanted, but it's still pretty neat.
That is awesome!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
DSC01442.jpg

Made these in the past year-ish and had a lot of fun making them.

I'll finish the rest of the FFVI cast and the Sprite when I have a little more time. problem is the sprite colors and the bead colors don't always match (look at Locke's hair) so it can be a little bit of a challenge. I also meant to make some Megaman sets and give them away on GAF in celebration of MM9 but never got around to it.

EDIT:
DSC01458.jpg

Forgot about my Pac-Man magnets. I eventually want to do the Galaga ships and a bunch of random Tetris blocks.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Made these a while ago with Hama brand beads. I have lots of beads left so I should make some more.

Hama_Sprites_1.jpg

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I keep meaning to buy a bulk box o' 4x4 lego blocks. They'd be seemingly perfect for some sprite recreations.

shaowebb

Jive Turkey said:
.. problem is the sprite colors and the bead colors don't always match (look at Locke's hair) so it can be a little bit of a challenge.

Use regular acrylic craft paints to replace perler colors you cant find. Simply make your sprite like normal but designate your missing color as something really obvious like a pink or green bead instead.
Then when its done simply paint over the pink ones (or whatever color you chose) with the proper color.
Paint is about $0.88 and it has no visible difference from the rest of the beads when it dries.

Here is a nice example of me painting beads.

Here is my "Feed Cid" sprite after painting it.
PICT0006.jpg

And here it is when I flip it around and show the UNPAINTED side. Notice my grays are now oranges and pinks. I was running low on grays and decided to conserve by painting my other beads to the colors I wanted.
PICT0007.jpg

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
shaowebb said:
Use regular acrylic craft paints to replace perler colors you cant find. Simply make your sprite like normal but designate your missing color as something really obvious like a pink or green bead instead.
Then when its done simply paint over the pink ones (or whatever color you chose) with the proper color.
Paint is about $0.88 and it has no visible difference from the rest of the beads when it dries.
Huh...I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip!

KevinCow

Banned
shaowebb said:
Here is something I made that should get a few smiles from everyone.
Bioshock Kirby

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/shaowebb/PICT0009.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That's great! :lol

Reminds me of my Big Daddy plushie.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/Kevincow25/BigDaddy1.jpg

shaowebb

KevinCow said:
Reminds me of my Big Daddy plushie.

Wow lots of plushies being made around here. Ill have to post a pattern I have that pretty good soon.

Also...more perlers.

He should've stopped at the bike
PICT0012.jpg

I'm going to have to have a go at this!
Being a brit most of my stuff would be Spectrum 48k/Commodore 64 inspired so when i get around to it it should make a nice contrast to see Monty Mole, Skool Daze and oh my lord StarQuake! I can do some StarQuake stuff!

/ dances

I'm off to look for some euro shops that have the same materials!

shaowebb

EdwardTivrusky said:
I'm going to have to have a go at this!
Being a brit most of my stuff would be Spectrum 48k/Commodore 64 inspired so when i get around to it it should make a nice contrast to see Monty Mole, Skool Daze and oh my lord StarQuake! I can do some StarQuake stuff!

/ dances

I'm off to look for some euro shops that have the same materials!

Kick ass. Britain is now a part of this.
Its like game sprite Perler Olympics with each country sending in their best mascots to represent them.

What size beads would you recommend, shaowebb?
I've had a look about and there's 3 sizes i've seen with the "midi" size being the most common. Would these be the right sized ones for this kind of craft? I take it that they're interchangable regardless of being Hama or Perler or whoever?

They're really quite cheap so i'll be making a couple of small purchases from a few online stores i've found and as long as they aren't all charlatans i should be posting soon. I've decided to make a few shapes and scenes and frame them to brighten up my new baby nephew's room :)

Ridli

I need some coasters, and I think this would be an excellent way to solve that problem. Thanks for the idea :)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
EdwardTivrusky said:
I've had a look about and there's 3 sizes i've seen with the "midi" size being the most common. Would these be the right sized ones for this kind of craft? I take it that they're interchangable regardless of being Hama or Perler or whoever?

They're really quite cheap so i'll be making a couple of small purchases from a few online stores i've found and as long as they aren't all charlatans i should be posting soon. I've decided to make a few shapes and scenes and frame them to brighten up my new baby nephew's room :)
The only size I've ever seen are the ones I use. I honestly didn't know they made other sizes.

Thanks, Jive. I've gone with the "midi" sized beads as they seem to be the ones you buy in the shops according to the site i've chosen. Also, I know they won't look great but i had to buy a bag each of gold, silver and bronze together with the more traditional colours. Shiny!
I've also started hunting for 8bit sprites from my youth and have already found some StarQuake, Nodes of Yesod, Alien8 and Back to skool/Skool Daze screens and sprites to use.

Hopefully i'll source some tweezers locally tomorrow and i'll have something to show by the end of the week depending on delivery times of course.

shaowebb

EdwardTivrusky said:

Hmm. I've only really seen the midi sized ones sold abundantly but on occasion I've see some huge ones sold around here from HAMA.
Congrats you live in a bead rich area that sells variety!
Generally the "midi" size ones make sprites that turn out about my size and come in the most variety of colors. Thats really my determining factor is color range so "midi" should be your choice.
However if you want a big monster and all the colors you need are in the larger sizes go for it.
These just tend to fuse together with bigger spaces between the beads and look kind of donut-ish at times.

this thread inspired me to give it a try

made a coaster

midtgh.jpg

i either had the heat on the iron too high, kept the iron on it too long, or a combination of the two.

not bad for a practice try, i guess.

Still cool though!
I only hope my first few attempts will come out that well. This stuff is quite cheap so it doesn't matter if i mess up a couple or many to be honest. Yay!

rass

would you believe i stocked up on this stuff for this purpose like 4 days ago?
my awesome plan™ is to smash out the inside of an old crt monitor that i have then make a quasi 3d SMB diorama. Interest just increased 10 fold thanks to you guys haha

Darkpen

Banned
shaowebb said:
Wow lots of plushies being made around here. Ill have to post a pattern I have that pretty good soon.

Also...more perlers.

He should've stopped at the bike
PICT0012.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

My bits and pieces have started trickling in so i'm hoping to get something done over the weekend. I'm now obsessed with finding old sprites and the like.

I know it's a really basic question but what is a good method for pixelating a high-res picture so it's suitable to use as a template for a design?

Nicktals

Banned
Good work guys! Some of you first-timers work is turning out very good...maybe I'll give it a shot...how much time would it take to say, make one screen of super mario bros? (mario, blocks, enemies, cloudtrees, everything from one screen?)

EDIT: And appx. cost?

DTJAAAAM

Made a few more over the past few days:

auzgo1.jpg

K.K.Slider (Animal Crossing), Percy (Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom)
Boomer/Asmik-Kun (Asmik-Kun Land)
Kickle (Kickle Cubicle), Master Higgins (Adventure Island)

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
DTJAAAAM said:
I just finished off my first one, which is Jogurt/Yogurt from the Shining Force:

t97f6h.jpg

Hehe, brings back memories. I remember trying to level him up, only to find out that it wasn't possible! Good times.

Shaowebb is my brother. I've been to his place many, many times. The bead work is great but you should see his messy floor sometime. Now THAT is impressive. :D

Top Bottom