• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF gamer crafts:"Game sprite perlers edition"

eXistor

I bought a bunch of pixelblox once, but I didn't have nearly enough, so I gave up on the idea...these all look awesome though.

Kimi

I've never been able to find the large bead board. My local stores (Michael's, AC Moore, Wal Mart) don't have them, and I couldn't find them online for cheap. Anyone know where I can order?

Here's a few I made a while ago, been meaning to get back into it and this thread inspires me!

2310663431_0f8b993c26.jpg

2315342160_47ee8d2e02.jpg

2314531557_6a67a3a953.jpg

Edit: Augh, don't know why I can't show pics?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Kimi said:
I've never been able to find the large bead board. My local stores (Michael's, AC Moore, Wal Mart) don't have them, and I couldn't find them online for cheap. Anyone know where I can order?
Here's what I do: Go to Michael's and look for the smaller sets. I get the vehicle set. It has a bunch of good colors (red, yellow, green, gray, and black) and each set comes with one of the expandible boards as shown in shaowebb's opening post. Seeing as I use most of those colors I'm getting a two for one deal.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Kimi said:

Here's a few I made a while ago, been meaning to get back into it and this thread inspires me!

Edit: Augh, don't know why I can't show pics?

Kimi

Thanks Wario, appreciate it!

Jive Turkey, I think I also looked at the sets but the only square board I've gotten doesn't have a connector and is smaller. I'll try looking again.

toneroni

these are pretty awesome. I'll get my GF on it stat! :lol
At least thats what i'll be telling myself when we drive to Michael's :D

iam.rass said:
would you believe i stocked up on this stuff for this purpose like 4 days ago?
my awesome plan™ is to smash out the inside of an old crt monitor that i have then make a quasi 3d SMB diorama. Interest just increased 10 fold thanks to you guys haha

Might want to be careful with that. You could kill yourself while taking apart the crt monitor.

DTJAAAAM

Made a few more last night:

i1hfsl.jpgv

Kid Dracula (Akumajou Dracula Special: Boku Dracula-Kun), Tom Guycot (Clash at Demonhead), Red Rabbit Kotomi (Rabio Lepus), Zhao Yun (Destiny of an Emperor)

eXistor

Little bump and I have nothing to show...but that's gonna change soon. I'm gonna get a few bucketsful of these things first thing on monday and start working on something I had in my mind for a long long time. Obviously I'll post it when it's done. I thought maybe some other people that might have forgot about this thread could post some more of their work (if there was any made of course).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I've bought a huge jar of beads at IKEA. I still haven't made anything, but I definitely will.

eXistor

Just made my first one as a little test. It came out alright I think, though my ironing isn't perfect. There was actually a crease in the ironing paper, so that left an imprint.

34zk37s.jpg

Ikopi

Alright, first attempt:

IMG_4237.jpg

My board was a few rows short, so I had to improvise a little bit, and I have to perfect my ironing skills. I need a few more colors too, but I like them.

Thanks again for this thread, never have thought I would be doing this.

Any tips are always appreciated.

F

finskninja

Unconfirmed Member
Jive Turkey said:
DSC01442.jpg

Made these in the past year-ish and had a lot of fun making them.

I'll finish the rest of the FFVI cast and the Sprite when I have a little more time. problem is the sprite colors and the bead colors don't always match (look at Locke's hair) so it can be a little bit of a challenge. I also meant to make some Megaman sets and give them away on GAF in celebration of MM9 but never got around to it.

EDIT:
DSC01458.jpg

Forgot about my Pac-Man magnets. I eventually want to do the Galaga ships and a bunch of random Tetris blocks.

hehe pac-man would be the first thing i would do :)

Ikopi

Made some more:

3832864013_b0b7bbeb89_m.jpg

3833639944_2305f80a46_m.jpg

(I didn't have any light blue yet when I made this one, so I will have to remake it. Not really noticeable but the cockpit is transparent)

3833639476_28afcba39b_m.jpg

3833639034_cc62ceca3a_m.jpg

3833638114_7e0f41abc9_m.jpg

3833637762_fea8c89692_m.jpg

(He is too brown but I don't have any orange yet, so this one will be remade too)

3777747320_5c8a204ff9_m.jpg

3771932716_6527d9be06_m.jpg

3771932464_24551b583c_m.jpg

It's crazy how many colors are needed for some things, so I still feel pretty limited in my choices, but I have ordered some more. Any tips are appreciated :)

DTJAAAAM

I recently made a few new ones, so here they are:

perler0-826.jpg

Firebrand (Gargoyle's Quest 2)

perler1-826.jpg

Yuko (Syd of Valis)

perler2-826.jpg

Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)

perler3-826.jpg

Mama Pig (Pooyan)

perler4-826.jpg

Drunk (Bubble Bobble)

perler5-826.jpg

Lolo (Eggerland)

perler6-826.jpg

Upa (Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa)

perler7-826.jpg

Gimmick (Mr. Gimmick)

perler8-826.jpg

Son Son (Son Son)

Forkball

I was interested in doing this, but do the buckets of perler beads really have every color you would need? How do you guys sort them and keep them separated? Also where's a good place to buy a big peg board, I went to Michaels but they only had really small ones that were in stupid shapes like hearts or triangles.

i've been playing around with them myself, but i made the mistake of picking up a large bucket of mixed beads. trying to seperate the colors is such a pain.

Ikopi

I don't know if those buckets have every color, I just buy the colors separatedly in bags. In that way, I don't have the colors I don't need (such as the fluo ones) and I don't have to separate them. I once bought a small mixed bag, never again ...

I empty the bags in small glasses for easy acces, but I will be going to the store sometime next week to pick up one of those cases where handyman keep their nails in. Those have those compartiments which are perfect to sort all the beads in.

The square peg boards usually are packaged together with those weird shapes. Small ones can be attached to one another to form a big one.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Yeah, buying the individual color bags is definitely the way to go. There are plenty available on eBay or you can go straight through the Perler Bead website. I bought one of those buckets, and sorting the beads was a huge pain in the ass. These places also have the basic square pegboards to use in these projects.

I store my beads in these plastic drawers that I bought at The Container Store. Each set cost about $13, and each drawer neatly holds 1000 beads (which is how many the individual bags contain).

l8rqyo

Here are some of the creations that I've made. Those who know me will will not be surprised to see a lot of Mega Man stuff.

mhk7jm

mqtjrg

n7wkoy

lkasvt

nu8z8k

kqu5us

mn2pdm

ltsfxe

mghm2s

l6wfgh

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Am I to understand that you're both a Dr. Slump fan and a Mega Man fan? You deserve a hug, pal.

Awesome work, everyone. Keep 'em coming :D.

Dreweyes

eXistor said:
Just made my first one as a little test. It came out alright I think, though my ironing isn't perfect. There was actually a crease in the ironing paper, so that left an imprint.

34zk37s.jpg

AWESOME! :D

ruxtpin

Banned
toxicgonzo said:
Anyone used pixelblocks before? They have the added coolness of translucency.

101053833_f03c893346.jpg

2318873510_cd104634a7.jpg

2426249448_ab7e30b768.jpg

damn it - I wanna' be creative now too! ;)

edit: There, since I know that must have been bothering you.

Tremis

This man does his research.
DSCN0862.jpg

My wife and I just made this one. Thanks to the OP for the thread and advice. Pretty fun!

DTJAAAAM

I've been busy making these things instead of playing games. My newest creations are:

93perler1.jpg

Cotton (Fantastic Night Dreams: Cotton)

93perler2.jpg

Pocky (Pocky & Rocky)

93perler3.jpg

Myau (Phantasy Star)

93perler4.jpg

Merchant (Atomic Robo-Kid)

93perler5.jpg

Terry Bogard (SNK VS Capcom: Match of the Millennium)

831perler-00.jpg

Michael Chen (Cloud Master)

831perler-01.jpg

Papi (Aztec Adventure)

831perler-02.jpg

Adol Christin (Ys: Book 1 & 2)

831perler-03.jpg

Rick (Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti)

831perler-04.jpg

Bentley Bear (Crystal Castles)

831perler-05.jpg

Nuts (Nuts & Milk)

831perler-07.jpg

Carbuncle (Puyo Pop)

831perler-08.jpg

Dragon (Mendel Palace)

831perler-09.jpg

Kewne (Azure Dreams)

Twig

Banned
Oh god I loved these as a kid. I'd make shit all the time.

I might have to... make more shit. When I can. Possibly based on my own pixel art, which is sometimes actually good!

Captain N

Jive Turkey said:
Good ironing work on those cupcakes but you're supposed to peel off the wax paper before you display the final work.

I know..the only problem is that's the only picture that turned out.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow... where did THIS thread come from? XD I've just recently tried to add Perler work to my sellable crafts on Etsy... first item: An original Master Chief Sprite, inspired by Samus' look in Super Metroid.

masterchiefsabca01.jpg

The Etsy Listing (Edit: More Images there, Put one here now)

I learned of these beads through Etsy! I never heard of them before that. "A way to make my Pixel work tangible!" It was a plesant find!

Thinking about making some magnets next... I like making premade sprites, but I rather enjoy making my own pixel designs in perlers, y'know?

DTJAAAAM: wow, such great selections. Pocky! Terry! Adol! Azure Dreams! I was also thinking about making some Neo Geo Pocket pieces, was suprised not to see any. SNK Chibi Style inspired me to take on the style for some original pixel works... plan to make some of them in perlers later!

sca2511

i have some perler game sprite stuff like megaman, ryu in chibi sprite, and pooka from digdug. I'll try to get some pictures of them later.

Ikopi

Tremis said:
My wife and I just made this one. Thanks to the OP for the thread and advice. Pretty fun!

Nice one!

And Dtjaam, I'm not really into Neo-Geo but these are really good, and your ironing is way better than mine.

Sabca, love the color scheme and the visor really stands out.

I have also made some new ones but I will have to take some photos first. Something for this afternoon maybe.

Ikopi

Here are some more of mine. I am on a Super Mario World kick right now, I am thinking of putting them up on my wall in a gameplay fashion. Still need some more enemies for that.

3887144310_f8529fd8ac_m.jpg

3886345627_4b46e43dc7_m.jpg

3886345201_918afb5019_m.jpg

3887142962_298c8f751c_m.jpg

3887142514_95530b0872_m.jpg

3887142088_dfef3ecb37_m.jpg

3886343445_4aa1d4fd58_m.jpg

3886343019_9ff7a5c452_m.jpg

3886342477_a01cf27459_m.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ikopi said:
Sabca, love the color scheme and the visor really stands out.

I have also made some new ones but I will have to take some photos first. Something for this afternoon maybe.

Thanks much ^_^

Of your new batch, that Bowser really stands out well! The colors work so well, he looks nice and well shaded.

I've made a semi-chibi Black Irish Cyclops from c certain game that comes in an Orange Box... I'll post it once I can take pictures!

Jasoco

Banned

Made this a while ago. I wish I could have made it top down instead because LEGO is rectangular on the side. Also, I didn't have any green at all or I would have made him green instead. It took forever to find the pieces in my big tub of LEGO from when I was a kid. I barely got enough.

Top Bottom