• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF gamer crafts:"Game sprite perlers edition"

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, here's my Chibi Team Fortress 2 Demo Man! Could you imagine what a 16 bit TF2 would be like? ( o_O) That'd actually be really cool to see...

demosabca02a.jpg

I gave it my first shot yesterday. I bought this set of beads. Having them pre-sorted is nice but I'll definitely need to get some more colors.

amsbx0.jpg

And here are my first creations.

2elb4na.jpg

The OP recommends pushpins for putting them on a wall, but wouldn't the pushpin show? Also, what's a reverse tweezer?

Oh, and can you re-use the ironing sheets?

I have always wanted to make a sprite or two for my room, probably robotnik in his pod flying away after being defeated :lol

*edit* found this on google

1442893222_c3930a00de_m.jpg

Sonic_2x2_Lego_Pixel_Sprite_by_Technomancer_Prime.jpg

Ikopi

Parallax Scroll said:
I gave it my first shot yesterday. I bought this set of beads. Having them pre-sorted is nice but I'll definitely need to get some more colors.

And here are my first creations.

The OP recommends pushpins for putting them on a wall, but wouldn't the pushpin show? Also, what's a reverse tweezer?

Oh, and can you re-use the ironing sheets?

Nice ones! The colors are a good starting point but more is always better.

Oh you can re-use that ironing sheet almost indefinitely. I do at least 10-15 ironing sessions on each of them, and I feel they can do a lot more.

I don't have a good way to hang them on my wall yet without the pin being visible. Tips are always welcome.

That TF2 Demo is awesome, btw.

zaxor0

Ahh! this is so awesome! I have to try this out once finals are over and I have free time. I bet I can convince my girlfriend to do it with me too!

EDIT: I have to show this off, I made it at a summer camp for kids with hemophilia that I volunteered at. Only one of my nine year olds knew what it was :(
5494_543173364692_63105626_32157793_8334606_n.jpg

Milabrega

Hoping they add more hay bale colors in Farmville so my Farm can just be the MM2 Stage Select screen and so I can replace the green with light blue.

2lvl08k.jpg

1up

My girlfriend makes a bunch, and I made some of the Megaman ones.

0521082300.jpg

perlersprites.jpg

I actually have two of them on my cubicle locker.

mailgooglecom.jpg

bjork

Milabrega said:
Hoping they add more hay bale colors in Farmville so my Farm can just be the MM2 Stage Select screen and so I can replace the green with light blue.

2lvl08k.jpg

:lol that's awesome

Tf53

Ikopi said:
I don't have a good way to hang them on my wall yet without the pin being visible. Tips are always welcome.
How about sticking a thumbtack through some paper, then glueing the paper on the back of the character? That way you could just stick it in the wall without anything being visible.

Ikopi

Tf53 said:
How about sticking a thumbtack through some paper, then glueing the paper on the back of the character? That way you could just stick it in the wall without anything being visible.

Great idea! I will try this asap.

shaowebb

Wow. I made this thread so long ago and never caught whenever it popped up again on the homepage with these posts. Great job guys. Keep up the good work.
Next time I should show how to make Video Game themed beanies without knowing how to sew.
Just let me know if it sounds interesting.

I ran out of blacks already ;_;

2ykf95z.jpg

I've got a bag of 1000 on the way, but who knows how long that will take to arrive. I may stop by a craft store today so I can finish this one.

Not perlers, but still arts-and-craftsy.

mi16h1.jpg

I'm actually thinking of buying some perlers and making a Super Metroid logo for my friend's birthday.

How do you make things that are larger than pegboards?

EDIT: Speaking of Super Metroid, anyone have a screen of the logo that's shown at the end of the game?

ahh scary

2rc7c6d.jpg

I think the black border is necessary because the NES metroid is meant to be seen against a black background. I suppose it might work to build it out of clear beads, if it was hung up against a darker wall.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Are these like pretty easy to make? I see all of you guys just churning really quality ones so my interest has been piqued.

shaowebb

pelicansurf said:
Are these like pretty easy to make? I see all of you guys just churning really quality ones so my interest has been piqued.

Yes actually. Page 1 has listed all the tools you will need and describes how to make them. They come out so quality because in essence any sprite sheet can have a grid overlaid on it to turn it into a pixel for pixel map of how to build your own perler sprite.
There is also an online web page that will do this for you in case you do not know how to do this in photoshop.

shaowebb said:
Yes actually. Page 1 has listed all the tools you will need and describes how to make them. They come out so quality because in essence any sprite sheet can have a grid overlaid on it to turn it into a pixel for pixel map of how to build your own perler sprite.
There is also an online web page that will do this for you in case you do not know how to do this in photoshop.
For Mac users, Pixen is also great for this. It's the same program I use to draw sprites. You can quickly load an image into it, add gridlines, and blow it up to a size you can see.

How do you deal with diagonals? Like the teeth on that Metroid above, if I hadn't put black beads around them they wouldn't have stuck together.

Diablohead said:
I have always wanted to make a sprite or two for my room, probably robotnik in his pod flying away after being defeated :lol

*edit* found this on google
1442893222_c3930a00de_m.jpg

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs51/300W/f/2009/258/0/4/Sonic_2x2_Lego_Pixel_Sprite_by_Technomancer_Prime.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
=o! I didn't care before, but I want to make that last Sonic one. =O

Those all look fantastic! I have bought a huge container of unsorted pearler beads and I do have a small board ready. I am thinking of doing a red and blue lander from Guardian Legend first, just to get a feel of what I'm doing, then try for something a bit more intricate.

shaowebb

Parallax Scroll said:
How do you deal with diagonals? Like the teeth on that Metroid above, if I hadn't put black beads around them they wouldn't have stuck together.
I tend to use fusable clear beads or I make them with a background and fill the whole board.

Forgot to post this piccie here, DOH!

ru4ith.jpg

John Dudebro NES sprite in perler beads. The white smudges are transparent beads i put in that went white in the photo. They show up a lot more in photos than they really look.

Only taken me a year to produce something, not bad for me :)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I use sticky gum-like adhesives for posters (specifically Pritt Poster Buddies) to attach Perler/Hama creations on walls/doors. Doesn't leave residue or a hole in your wall, and you can attach/reattach as needed.

04_fixing_buddies_be_PRODUCT_BIG.jpg

Tempy said:
I use sticky gum-like adhesives for posters (specifically Pritt Poster Buddies) to attach Perler/Hama creations on walls/doors. Doesn't leave residue or a hole in your wall, and you can attach/reattach as needed.
Nice. I almost picked some of those up but I wasn't sure if they would hold.

I just finished these...

ultros.jpg

bb.jpg

Does anyone have recommendations of some particularly badass sprites?

I'd really like to make a few from Strider 2, I just can't find anything. I have the PSX game and I'm wondering if there's a program that will let me rip sprites off the disc or something. Any ideas?

shaowebb

FrostuTheNinja said:
I just finished these...

ultros.jpg

bb.jpg

I'd really like to make a few from Strider 2, I just can't find anything. I have the PSX game and I'm wondering if there's a program that will let me rip sprites off the disc or something. Any ideas?

Well this one is particularly bad ass but I do not know if anyone would be willing to do it outside of the guy who did boss form Kefka.

Here's my suggestion of badassery.
final06.gif

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I recently ordered a new batch of Perler beads so that I can start cranking out more sprites.

I was very glad to see that the official Perler website is now selling bags of 6000 beads (in black, white, and red) for only $6.99. Considering that a bag of 1000 beads costs $2.79, this is a great savings. Especially considering how many black and white beads you go through with these projects.

Anyhoo, here are some of my latest projects.

A few characters from the upcoming Mega Man 10 -- Blade Man, Sheep Man, Proto Man, Chill Man, and Solar Man

yg2lxfq

Rusty from Dark Void Zero

ykvfv39

Jason (in both his "overworld" and "dungeon" forms) and SOPHIA THE THIRD from Blaster Master

ygyl67t

FrostuTheNinja said:
I just finished these...

ultros.jpg

bb.jpg

What frames are you using for these? They look outstanding.

cantona222

Wow. What a great idea. First of all this is fun to do with your wife and family (or let them do it :p), and the outcome looks great for decoration. I'll definitely try this sometime soon and post some pics hear.

Thanks for the thread. We wanna see more ideas and sprites :)

shaowebb said:
Here's my suggestion of badassery.

That is so great. I'd love to work on something that scale. I've been kicking a few ideas around, one of which is doing "fullscreen" perler pieces. If you want anything done, feel free to message me.

What frames are you using for these? They look outstanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_box

You can find them at art supply stores, mega marts, and I'm sure on the internet. I like to pick them up in the store so I can kinda see how it looks before I grab a particular frame. I've also noticed the ones with adjustable depths work best.

Whimsical Phil said:
I was very glad to see that the official Perler website is now selling bags of 6000 beads (in black, white, and red) for only $6.99.

I never thought I'd hear this phrase in a craft thread, let alone me saying it but...

"This"

When I found out they sold them in bulk, it was like mana from heaven.

Here's one I finished up a couple of weeks ago.

fried.jpg

I'm currently working on...

sdancer-gen_storyart.png

oracrest

Nice Ultros.

I have been wanting to do one of the elemental bosses from FF IV. Some of the other ones are pretty cool too. I need to get some more peg boards though, I have a habit of melting mine over time since I melt the perlers flat, with no holes if I can.

cagnazzo.gif

calbrina.gif

Rubicant.gif

Salsa

wow, i remember playing with these when i was a kid but i dont even know their spanish name to go to find some : ( anyone knows a site that can ship them internationally ? really want to get my hands on this

Top Bottom