• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2009 Awards

UFRA

Figured Uncharted 2 was gonna get it.

Glad to see Demon's Souls did very well in many categories though. :D

stuminus3

What is this "Unchartered" you guys speak of, I don't think I've seen it mentioned around here before?

Awesome work, OP.

Kuroyume

Banned
2daaeiw.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

Killzone 2 GAF GOTY!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo

GG more maps and screenshot mode in KZ3

1gg22v.gif

Best list I've seen. Good job GAF.

I'm glad to see Demon's Souls @ #3 and I'm glad people didn't forget about KZ2.

Personally the only rank I'd disagree with based on my experience with the game is Infamous. Not that it was bad, but it wasn't that noteworthy either. Yet another sandbox game with less variety in missions, plus a tacked-on morality system. There were some pretty cool powers though.

...and lol @ all the bitter tears in this thread.

Biff

Thanks for all your work timetokill.

I think the 3 point voting system worked well. I have no problems with the list.. I think the results are fair and even allowed the lesser hyped (but still excellent) titles to shine. Flower at #12 and Infamous at #9 are great examples.
Okay, I just can't hold it in. MW2 :lol :lol

jorma

is now taking requests
Great list. Cannot believe i missed to vote, but it seems i wasn't really needed.

Also: KZ2 totally deserved it.

Lince

Banned
Cheech said:
IMO, and I don't mean to fan the flames, but I found the all-Sony voting posts suspect if they contained Killzone 2. That game's aiming ran like the mouselook was set at -1000, the online was borked (from the voice to the balancing), and the level design was not great. The campaign side game also had a magnitude of problems.

It wasn't a pile of trash (the sound design was excellent), but MW2/L4D2/Borderlands were all more competently executed, even taking into account that Borderlands isn't entirely a shooter.

I don't want to get banned again over (defending) KZ2 so I just want to tell you that I respect your opinion but couldn't disagree more with it, besides that, I'm a "suspect" according to your post. Hope you just enjoy these other games and forget about KZ2. FYI, other sites awarded KZ2 first person shooter of the year, how "suspect" are, say, Gamespot/IGN for you? I tend to value GAF's collective opinion more though... KZ2 won FPS 2009 here so live with it, anyway you can always make a thread "I've never disliked a game this much".

Cheech said:
the hardcore shooter fans all have PCs or Xboxes, anyway.

really? which hardcore shooter hasn't made its way to the PS3 this past year or won't be doing it in the future? do you consider L4D or Halo "hardcore"? I thought MAG was considered hardcore and it's PS3 exclusive, BFBC2 is on PS3, MW2 is on PS3, SOCOM is on PS3... why would ALL hardcore shooter fans have PCs or Xboxes? just for Halo / L4D ? a valid reason in my book why not, but no less valid than having a PS3 just for KZ2, SOCOM or MAG so let me fix it for you...

the hardcore shooter fans all have PCs anyway

peace

Haunted

Final standings convince me that this year's system was shit. Just terrible. Strengthened the big titles' presence and suppressed the smaller niche games, when it should actually be the other way around.

I'm voting that Rez does it next year, and does it right.

Also very disappointed that GAF overlooked Red Faction: Guerilla and Little King's Story. Both strong GOTY contenders for me, #25 and #26 are just bullshit considering the tripe that is ahead in those rankings.

Happy that Modern Warfare 2 got a bit of a bitchslap, especially being beaten in its own category (deservedly, I might add).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Yeah...we're "suspect" for enjoying a game? That's just stupid. I loved Killzone 2's gunplay and multiplayer, it's that simple. Maybe there are a few people here who'll vote only for games on their system of choice, but most of us are voting for what we liked the most, there is no conspiracy. It has nothing to do with the system, between my PS3 and 360 I've played all the best console shooters this gen and KZ2 is up there with the best for me. The only only shooter that I had as much fun with this year was Left 4 Dead 2.
Sorry for the derail, though, I'm done.

Cheech

Lince said:
really? which hardcore shooter hasn't made its way to the PS3 this past year or won't be doing it in the future? do you consider L4D or Halo "hardcore"? I thought MAG was considered hardcore and it's PS3 exclusive, BFBC2 is on PS3, MW2 is on PS3, SOCOM is on PS3... why would ALL hardcore shooter fans have PCs or Xboxes? just for Halo / L4D ? a valid reason in my book why not, but no less valid than having a PS3 just for KZ2, SOCOM or MAG so let me fix it for you...

1. The reason the shooter fan has to have a PC or Xbox are due to the thriving online communities on each. The PSN is still a failure until Sony gives us a unified solution guaranteed to work across all games. ONE voice component of the SDK, ONE invite system, etc. and not just a series of hack jobs by the developers.

2. The PS3 SOCOM and MAG are complete piles of shit. They make KZ2 look like GOTF '00s. Breaks my heart, the original PS2 SOCOM was one of my favorite games of that gen.

jorma

is now taking requests
Haunted said:
Final standings convince me that this year's system was shit. Just terrible. Strengthened the big titles' presence and suppressed the smaller niche games, when it should actually be the other way around.

*rereads list*
this is sarcasm, right?

KZObsessed

Glad to see KILLZONE 2 win GAF's Shooter of the year.

I've had hundreds of hours of enjoyment with the online and with the GAFe clan. Had a great time with the game and it was my GOTY.

Tho it's a shame I've been deemed suspect due to that enjoyment. oh woe is me.

edit: oh I thought you did a great job timetokill, and same to everyone else involved.

Haunted

Danthrax said:
I didn't play a single game in the top 10. In fact, the only games in the top 21 I played were #11 Borderlands, #14 Resident Evil 5 and #16 Halo ODST.

o_O
Crazy. I played 17 of the Top 18 games. Missed Left 4 Dead 2.

Facism

We just need Chong to post and we have the workings of a straight to DVD stoner comedy.

Great work, each game in the top 20 are worth everybody's time. I'm happy to see Arkham at number 2, excellent game and use of a license.

ZZMitch

Why is half this thread laughing about MW2? It deserves to be in the top 10, and it should be higher IMO... extremely well made game.

NIGHT-

ZZMitch said:
Why is half this thread laughing about MW2? It deserves to be in the top 10, and it should be higher IMO... extremely well made game.

Couldn't agree more. I love spec ops :D

Durante

Haunted said:
Hmm, comparing it to any mainstream publication's list, or any GAF list from a previous year I fail to see that effect. I also don't see any effect in the other direction though. To really analyze this one would need to come up with a measureable quantity for the "nicheness" of a GotY list though, which would be very hard.

stupei

Lince said:
your post contradicts itself, you accept the quality of PS3 exclusives this year but at the same time you can't understand why a forum member would only vote for them. I mean, Uncharted 2, Demon's Soul, Killzone 2, Infamous... what do these games have to envy from multiplatforms games released in 2009? are they honestly not good enough? I can't see your point, really.

PS3 had a damn fine if not the better year in terms of software, it's only logical that it conditioned the GOTY nominations to such extent.

edit: peace

I can't understand that people could play multiplatform releases in a year that had the range of games like Assassin's Creed II, Batman, Dragon Age, Modern Warfare 2, and Borderlands and not find anything worthwhile.

Edit: Granted, I'm coming at it as someone who finds it odd that the system this year resulted in so many people picking fewer than 10 games in a year filled with great stuff. Narrowing it down to only the 10 was hard. Fewer than that strikes me as crazy.

Haunted said:
Holy crap, just saw the handheld Top 10. GAF hates the Pee Ass Pee confirmed.
I was pretty disappointed with the PSP releases this year, many of them were PSP versions of PS3 stuff, and Persona PSP really aged badly - I think Dissidia was the only one i'd have put forward for nomination.
Having said that, this year is very different - i wouldn't be surprised if PSP games took the top spots for GAF's handheld GOTY

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Haunted said:

I'm voting that Rez does it next year, and does it right.

Also very disappointed that GAF overlooked Red Faction: Guerilla and Little King's Story. Both strong GOTY contenders for me, #25 and #26 are just bullshit considering the tripe that is ahead in those rankings.

Happy that Modern Warfare 2 got a bit of a bitchslap, especially being beaten in its own category (deservedly, I might add).
Regardless of the system. It's always going to side with those games that have hype built around them regardless of quality.

ZZMitch said:

Why are some people in this thread laughing about KZ2? It deserves to be in the top 10, and it should be higher IMO... extremely well made game.

ZZMitch

H_Prestige said:
Why are some people in this thread laughing about KZ2? It deserves to be in the top 10, and it should be higher IMO... extremely well made game.

Cause the controls suck, bro. :D

ZZMitch said:

Nothing wrong with KZ2 controls. I headshotted 4 in a row with the revolver today :D. Awesome game, I purchased it after voting, would have been number 2 after Demon's Souls.

ZZMitch said:

And in the opinion of many others, the controls are great :)

Unless all this data has been falsified somehow, every game on this list is ranked exactly where it is supposed to be. There is no Sony "conspiracy" plotted by deranged playstation lunatics, and the more people try to look for one, the more they reveal their own bias.

ZZMitch

H_Prestige said:
And in the opinion of many others, the controls are great :)

Unless all this data has been falsified somehow, every game on this list is ranked exactly where it is supposed to be. There is no Sony "conspiracy" plotted by deranged playstation lunatics, and the more people try to look for one, the more they reveal their own bias.
Just because I don't like KZ2 doesn't mean I am anti-Sony or anything, Uncharted 2 was my game of the year behind Plants vs Zombies... and MW2 came out for PS3 as well! I should know cause that's where I have been playing it :D

Browsing very quickly in class on my iPod, will check back later but good job getting Dragon Age in the top 5. Excellent work GAF. My GOTY by far.

Edit: also, big thanks to timetokill for organizing and doing all the work involved. Great job man. I know we bitched quite a bit in the first thread.

To posters below:
Yeah, I just bought Torchlight with the steam sale and put a couple hours in last weekend, its pretty awesome. Dont think it would have knocked any of my titles off my list, but I also got like 6 or 7 other games that I wont be finished with until March or later, and some of them might be great. Oh well, I'll toss in some honorable mentions for "dated" games in this years if I need to. GOTY is supposed to be early in the year. If you have a bit of a backlog its not that big a deal, I'm sure that for the most part the votes would still be pretty similar, since other people will be getting the big top of the list games for christmas at the same time as you happen to be getting some lower tiered ones, and if voting were pushed back your vote for game #8 will be balanced by someone else voting for game #2 or whatever.

EDIT: Ok, some thoughts.
-Very surprised at the 360 list, Halo is expected but having 2 downloadables and Forza in the top 5 is strange to me, and I dont even know what the 5th game is. Just shows how weak MS's exclusives were this year.
-Holy shit at Uncharted 2. I knew it was gonna sweep the floors, but ~2 times as many votes as #2 and ~3 times as many as #3,4,5...thats just crazy
-Killzone as shooter of the year boggles my mind. It looked great and everything, but for me the gameplay was so slow and heavy, I could not stand it. Guess most people had no problems with the controls, but it broke it for me. Personally Borderlands and CoD MW2 were far better.
-Great year for third parties, Dragon Age, Assassins Creed, Batman: all from different groups, its not like last year where EA was cleaning house with Left 4 Dead(published it), Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Rock Band 2 and (sigh) Army of Two. But no Brutal Legend saddens me. It was a bit buggy and the RTS stuff kind of sucked, but the overall package was still astounding and the soundtrack/use of music in that game is amazing.
-Sony had a great year, 4 exclusives in the top 10 with 1 from Nintendo and nothing for MS.
-Sad that Dawn of War couldnt crack the top 20, but it showed up in the PC charts so its all forgiven.

Cheech said:
IMO, and I don't mean to fan the flames, but I found the all-Sony voting posts suspect if they contained Killzone 2. That game's aiming ran like the mouselook was set at -1000, the online was borked (from the voice to the balancing), and the level design was not great. The campaign side game also had a magnitude of problems.

It wasn't a pile of trash (the sound design was excellent), but MW2/L4D2/Borderlands were all more competently executed, even taking into account that Borderlands isn't entirely a shooter.

The killer is that I actually liked KZ2 far more than Resistance 2. Sony has not had its Gears of War or Halo yet. With the success of the CoD/MW franchise, I'm not sure it needs to. The hardcore shooter fans all have PCs or Xboxes, anyway.

That's cool, personally I found Killzone 2 to destroy all other shooter games for me this generation.

Halo was a gigantic letdown and more of the same ol' same ol' with graphics that were pretty last gen, while Gears of War had an awful online component. Modern Warfare is a casual, accessible shooter but gets boring after you realize how one dimensional the encounters are. It's basically a lame shooter, mechanically, with an RPG leveling system. I don't play games just because it has a lot to unlock, the game has to convince me that it's worth playing and MW2's core gameplay just isn't very fun. Haven't tried borderlands, but L4D suffers from the same problems MW2 does; the core gameplay isn't very fun because the weapons don't feel good to shoot.

Killzone 2 was expertly produced in terms of visual feedback - the guns are not matched by any other game and it's not even close. Single player games for all FPS games this gen have been a let down, but KZ2 manages to impress despite its narrative shortcomings. Level design is fantastic and the AI is unmatched. Graphically, it doesn't even need mentioning but what they've accomplished is pretty remarkable. Again, nothing comes close on that end.

There were also some interesting additions to the series such as first person cover and roaming objectives in multiplayer. In terms of comparisons, as you said, KZ2 is far better than Resistance 1/2 which I found to be absolutely awful. I've had a lot more fun with KZ2 than any exclusive 360 FPS so far. I guess Microsoft doesn't have its KZ2 yet this gen. Maybe Halo Reach will be that game for me, but I don't like what I've seen of it so far.

botticus

shintoki said:
Regardless of the system. It's always going to side with those games that have hype built around them regardless of quality.
Any additive system is going to favor the bigger games since more people have purchased and played them. A particular niche game could be the greatest thing ever created but if only 10% of the voting populace has played it, it's going to get blown away by an above average game that 75% of the populace plays.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
After having quite a bit of time with Trine and Killing Floor...I really wish we would push the awards back a few months into the next year. At least some time to crack into the Steam sale :lol

*Regret*

Yeah, the current system of voting for games (and this is all websites, not just NeoGAF) right before the end of the year not only screws over December releases, but ignores the good chance that tons of people will be buying games for the holiday season and not finishing them until after New Year's.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Okay, okay, it looks like I may have touched off a mild flamewar over Killzone 2...

I mean no disrespect to KZ2. I haven't even played it, so I can't form my own opinion about it. I'm surprised GAF voted it best FPS of the year because I thought I remembered GAFfers being pretty meh about it when it came out. Reactions seemed mixed to me. I figured L4D2 or MW2, maybe even Borderlands, would win... not a KZ2 that met lots of criticism.

Haunted said:
Crazy. I played 17 of the Top 18 games. Missed Left 4 Dead 2.

I know. I guess I play shitty games. =\

Daaaamn did the PS3 ever dominate. Who would have guess that?

2009 . . . Year of the PS3! :D (In quality games at least.)

I own most of those . . . and that is pretty good considering I avoid some genres due to time constraints.

Every single FPS you listed was met with criticism, and pretty serious criticism at that. KZ2 is no different. I'd argue that MW2's backlash was way higher than any other game this year, but that's also a factor of its popularity.

The FPS genre is just one where people pick their favorites and complain when someone new enters that doesn't play just the way they're used to or if a sequel changes up the formula just enough to throw them off kilter.

Here is an amazing stat . . .

3 of those games were digital distribution only!

-Flower
-Shadow Complex
-Trials HD

And Torchlight is probably mostly digital distribution through Steam & others.

Digital distribution is really catching on now.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
:enemyglider: said:
Every single FPS you listed was met with criticism, and pretty serious criticism at that. KZ2 is no different. I'd argue that MW2's backlash was way higher than any other game this year, but that's also a factor of its popularity.

The FPS genre is just one where people pick their favorites and complain when someone new enters that doesn't play just the way they're used to or if a sequel changes up the formula just enough to throw them off kilter.

Okay... yes, every game can be criticized. That still doesn't explain why KZ2 won. Did the people who played it not actually feel meh about it? I mean, apparently not, considering it won. It just surprised me based on how I remember people reacting last year.

AniHawk

speculawyer said:

-Flower
-Shadow Complex
-Trials HD

And Torchlight is probably mostly digital distribution through Steam & others.

Digital distribution is really catching on now.

3 of the top 20 last year (Braid, Wipeout HD, and World of Goo) were digital distribution only too. Braid actually made it to the top 10 last year.

:enemyglider: said:

I dunno, the only serious criticism L4D2 met was a kneejerk reaction to its (relatively) quick announcement. Once Valve actually flew in the people complaining to play the game, the entire body of complainers collapsed within a week. Once the demo came out, the idea that people actually talked about boycotting was unthinkable. Post-release, nobody was complaining
except for vertopci, someone who can't play L4D1 without extensively modding it so it's not 'unplayable'.

Danthrax said:
Okay... yes, every game can be criticized. That still doesn't explain why KZ2 won. Did the people who played it not actually feel meh about it? I mean, apparently not, if it won. It just surprised me based on how I remember reacting last year.

0813RealGeniusPic01.jpg

speculawyer said:

-Flower
-Shadow Complex
-Trials HD

Trials HD actually had some pretty passionate support... I hadn't even heard of the game before tabulating the votes this year :lol I'm definitely going to try it now.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Danthrax said:
Okay... yes, every game can be criticized. That still doesn't explain why KZ2 won. Did the people who played it not actually feel meh about it? I mean, apparently not, considering it won. It just surprised me based on how I remember people reacting last year.

The people whining about it most likely never even played it.

Top Bottom