• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2010 Awards

zoku88

CecilRousso said:
I don´t understand why Civ 5 is in the sim category instead of strategy, but other than that, great job.
I was wondering about that too.

Maybe he was thinking it was more like a history simulation (which it really isn't.)

Haunted

Durante's tool has totally taken over this thread. :lol

Personalising results is always a good way to get people on board. But great job Cheesemeister making all the statistical data points easily available without having to count the votes by hand (which has had a certain old-school charm to it, I admit :p).

I don't think there's much to be done to improve on the points system. I personally think the idea of increasing the number of points to maintain a proper 4:1 ratio throughout the Top 10 as they scale down as discussed towards the end of the pre-vote thread is the best route to go.

Mar said:
I have to wonder though. Are those things in the corners of the graphic meant to be fireworks or rectums?
Whichever you prefer, good sire.

Alts

Play around with weighting functions here: http://apps.evilrobotstuff.com/gaf_goty_2010/

Has every game listed according to the new scoring rules, the old scoring rules (2008 and before), and a custom set of scoring rules you can define.

Seems to be evidence that going from any reasonable scoring system to another, the change in the top 15 is minimal.

Those asking about the script or your similarities/comparisons to other GAF posters:

Please download the "similarity sheet" from the OP. It contains everyone's data, compiled by Durante. You don't need to run the script or ask somebody else to.

Gowans

Great List GAF, expected nothing less,

Go Mass Effect 2 and very pleased with Bad Company 2

Users with similar selection to Gowans007 :

1. REV 09 ( 130)
2. AppleMIX ( 117)
3. Felix Lighter ( 115)
4. DuckRacer ( 109)
5. Jay-B ( 106)

Total similarity score: 35101

Gowans007
10% Microsoft, 70% Multi, 20% PC
10% AS, 70% NA, 20% EU
1. Mass Effect 2 (NA) - 4 points
2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (EU) - 3 points
3. StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (NA) - 3 points
4. Super Meat Boy (NA) - 2 points
5. Halo: Reach (NA) - 2 points
6. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (EU) - 2 points
7. Super Street Fighter IV (AS) - 1 point
8. Rock Band 3 (NA) - 1 point
9. Civilization V (NA) - 1 point
10. Red Dead Redemption (NA) - 1 point

mokeyjoe

Agree with the top four, but not in that order. For me:

1. RDR
=2. Bayonetta - SMG2
4. ME2

GOW3 was a big disappointment for me but it's a quality product.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's a technically proficient game, yes.

boingball said:
I think the Passion Award is wrong. It should be

1. Heavy Rain
1. Mass Effect 2

Those two games are getting quite some hate and love in the comments in this thread, which indicates passion:D

Yeah, okay, not voting for a game could be measuring either indifference or hate so only number of positive votes can be measured. It is possible to get different results though. I compared the most votes figure with the most top votes data and this is the list with the percentage of people who gave the game a top score who voted for it. It's possible that if people also voted Heavy Rain or ME2 as worst game of the year then that could be factored in but it also cuts out some of the indifference of people who had not enjoyed the games voting for other games which I think is more common.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 32.40%
Red Dead Redemption 29.08%
Mass Effect 2 27.41%
Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty 23.89%
Bayonetta 23.62%
Gran Turismo 5 17.31%
Super Street Fighter IV 15.15%
Fallout: New Vegas 12.42%
God of War III 11.74%
Halo: Reach 10.04%
Heavy Rain 9.54%
Donkey Kong Country Returns 9.32%
Alan Wake 9.04%
Super Meat Boy 8.42%
Vanquish 8.02%
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 7.19%
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood 6.55%

LosDaddie

Banned
timetokill said:
Check the OP, and download the similarity sheet (it's near the top of the post, don't worry). Then you can just Ctrl+F your name.

Thanks for the info. And thanks again for doing the GAF-GotY. Really great info here.

Here we go:

I think I recognize about 3 names in there.

fushi

The only games in the Top 10 that I've played are Super Meat Boy and Mass Effect 2. And I didn't fall in love with either of them, hmm...

I guess I'm getting burned out. :(

At least until Risen 2 comes out.

Great job guys, lots of juicy stats here:D

I'd say that Ps3 exclusives are, as usual, over-represented in the top 10 but oh well, it's not as bad as in 2008. Nice to see Bayonetta and Super Meat Boy chart that high, well deserved.

Rolf NB

AniHawk said:
I think it's one of the better translations I've read, but uh, well that's partly because of my line of work. As for the story itself, it's not so much the actual writing that blew me away (although like I said, I liked it), it was the design aspect: the part that made it a game (whatever little of it there was).

I guess we'll be talking about this later. :\
See, this is exactly how I feel about Heavy Rain. They have such simple mechanics on paper, but the execution is masterful.

Wallach

Thanks for your efforts on this Cheesemeister and timetokill, and to Durante for compiling the additional comparison info. Very slick.

Apparently me and God's Beard are like this when it came to GotY voting, even though I only put up seven picks this year.

Shame F:NV didn't do better.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
ninj4junpei said:
Thanks. :)

I can't say I recognize any of these names. :lol Only two of these users has Nier on their list. :( (I don't have my glasses on, I can't see shit.) I'm glad to see that I'm on the more unique end of the spectrum, though.

Hey, I've been here 5 years. You should consider yourself honored I'm at the top of your list :lol

Wallach said:

It probably would have been high on my list but it slipped into my backlog, while I was waiting for a patch to fix performance issues on PC. I did play it for a good 20+ hours and I liked what I played but I didn't feel comfortable including it without playing more.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Man, Resonance of Fate and the Ys series got robbed. I even expected DQ9 to get a bit higher. GAF turning its back on JP games I guess :( :( :(

Man. My brother-in-law got a PS3, we can't wait to play RDR. I'm happy for DKCR, Super Meat Boy and Lara too. :D
I recognize about 3 of them at least. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Wallach said:
Thanks for your efforts on this Cheesemeister and timetokill, and to Durante for compiling the additional comparison info. Very slick.

Apparently me and God's Beard are like this when it came to GotY voting, even though I only put up seven picks this year.

Had I gotten it a couple weeks earlier than I did, F:NV definitely would have been on my list.

Lince

Banned
In my PERSONAL, humble and OWN opinion...

I can't believe GAF decided there wasn't a better game than Mass Effect 2 in 2010, to me it's the most average game I've ever played with multiple negative issues (inferior game compared to the original, dumbed down RPG elements, weak plot, terrible hallway filled with boxes level design, repetitive generic flawed TPS gameplay, moronic and boring planet scanning, laughable and out of context final boss...). Nothing in ME2 claims "GOTY", nothing.

My pick was Demon's Souls PAL, a much better RPG game in my opinion, I understand that logic says a game cannot win two or more different GOTY awards... that would be hilarious, but the game was released in PAL-land in 2010 and it was the best I played last year by far.

Anyway, congrats to EA & Bioware for the award and to all GAF fans of the game, I respect all opinions and maybe this will make me replay ME2 and look for the positives this time around.

Also, Heavy Rain (a flawed game but a much more enjoyable experience IMO) totally deserved to be up there, respect ! more of this please ! looking forward to the 2011 GOTY thread already, so many good games coming out this year.

Fady K

Wow, another excellent GOTY Awards listing from GAF. Love that ME2 is GOTY, and that God of War III, Heavy Rain, and Donkey Kong Country Returns are up so high.

My biggest surprise though, as I've heard nothing but extreme praise for it, is the lack of Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. I only finished God of War III recently, but I've been told that CV LoS is better than GoWIII in almost every possible aspect. Will find out soon I guess!

Amir0x

Banned
Lince said:
In my PERSONAL, humble and OWN opinion...

I can't believe GAF decided there wasn't a better game than Mass Effect 2 in 2010, to me it's the most average game I've ever played with multiple negative issues (inferior game compared to the original, dumbed down RPG elements, weak plot, terrible hallway filled with boxes level design, repetitive generic flawed TPS gameplay, moronic and boring planet scanning, laughable and out of context final boss...). Nothing in ME2 claims "GOTY", nothing.

My pick was Demon's Souls PAL, a much better RPG game in my opinion, I understand that logic says a game cannot win two or more different GOTY awards... that would be hilarious, but the game was released in PAL-land in 2010 and it was the best I played last year by far.

Anyway, congrats to EA & Bioware for the award and to all GAF fans of the game, I respect all opinions and maybe this will make me replay ME2 and look for the positives this time around.

Also, Heavy Rain (a flawed game but a much more enjoyable experience IMO) totally deserved to be up there, respect ! more of this please ! looking forward to the 2011 GOTY thread already, so many good games coming out this year.

if Demon's Soul had come out this year in my territory I certainly would have voted for it @ #1. However I think Mass Effect 2 is a great little game. It definitely does not have 'repetitive generic flawed TPS gameplay', at the very least. I think it's a more streamlined experience than Mass Effect 1, obviously, but it works well. Specifically, I definitely don't think ME1 was a better game.

Fady K

Amir0x said:
if Demon's Soul had come out this year in my territory I certainly would have voted for it @ #1. However I think Mass Effect 2 is a great little game. It definitely does not have 'repetitive generic flawed TPS gameplay', at the very least. I think it's a more streamlined experience than Mass Effect 1, obviously, but it works well. Specifically, I definitely don't think ME1 was a better game.

What about the storyline, how does it compare to the first in your opinion?

Wallach said:
Thanks for your efforts on this Cheesemeister and timetokill, and to Durante for compiling the additional comparison info. Very slick...

this! :) ...

afa the awards themselves, i'm just very happy to see bayonetta getting the props she so richly deserves...

Amir0x

Banned
Fady K said:
What about the storyline, how does it compare to the first in your opinion?

Well I think the overarching storyline of both games is rather lame cliche sci-fi crap, but I think the characters in the sequel are far stronger and have far better written plot lines than in ME1. ME2 is a "character driven" game in this regard, and the fact that I can like the way any character is written at all is a vast improvement over, well, just about 99% of all RPGs I can think of :lol

I like specifically the moral dilemma involving the genophage and how they presented that with the characters we got. It was extremely well written in that plot line for a game. One of the few times ever I had to stop to even consider the moral grays of a situation. Usually in game's it is so obvious what is the "right" and the "wrong" choice.

Fady K

I'll be playing the second one real soon and the fact that it's more character driven than the first only adds to my anticipation. Sweet, thanks for the write up :)

Amir0x

Banned
Fady K said:
I'll be playing the second one real soon and the fact that it's more character driven than the first only adds to my anticipation. Sweet, thanks for the write up :)

Yeah, just go into knowing that the overarching Reaper storyline doesn't move very far forward at all and I can't imagine you'd be disappointed. They've written some really compelling characters into this one.

Lince

Banned
Amir0x said:
I think it's a more streamlined experience than Mass Effect 1, obviously, but it works well. Specifically, I definitely don't think ME1 was a better game.

Yeah streamlining the ME formula works well for a generic third person shooter, but it's not GOTY material by any means IMO. I really believe ME1 was a much better/complete game and I expected a lot more from its sequel, specially improvements on the RPG elements and further and interesting developments in the fantastic "universe" that Bioware created (AKA main plot telling) but I respect your opinion.

I understand people love shooting things while taking cover behind piles of boxes and storming through one hallway to another so they don't get lost and just focus on more shooting, a rather shallow experience for and for sure ME2 had a lot of that IMO, but for instance a game like Vanquish does it much better without the planet scanning "fun" or the weak and uninteresting conversations in between shooting sessions.

Not everything was bad though, there was a memorable moment that I enjoyed such as getting to the
Quarian Flotilla
, something I really wanted to experience after reading the ME books. We can always agree to disagree of course, after all I ALT+F4'd my way out of ME2 when I reached the incredible laughable and embarrassing final boss that literally pissed on everything the ME universe meant to me, it was like some kid was allowed into the Bioware studio and designed that thing, with such an unique and detailed story background ME had to come with that ridiculous design for the final encounter was plain unbelievable and left a really sour taste, all in all maybe I need to go back to it and play with the new "GOTY 2010" spirit.

mokeyjoe

Amir0x said:
Yeah, just go into knowing that the overarching Reaper storyline doesn't move very far forward at all and I can't imagine you'd be disappointed. They've written some really compelling characters into this one.

To me it feels more like a TV series as opposed to a movie. Lots of small, self-contained stories with the story-arc hanging somewhere in the background. Even the end was more 'season finale' than movie climax.

mokeyjoe said:
To me it feels more like a TV series as opposed to a movie. Lots of small, self-contained stories with the story-arc hanging somewhere in the background. Even the end was more 'season finale' than movie climax.

That's kind of how I see both games, especially if you dig into the majority of the side missions. The original moved the overarching storyline a lot further, but that is common for first season's of television shows as well.

I'm taking pride in seeing a lot of my choices being only voted by me in that top :lol

And when I saw the top of someone in my similarity list, I realized I completely forgot to include my GOTY for the first half of the year...and I feel bad about it :(

Top Bottom