• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2010 Awards

Unicorn

animlboogy said:
Not a bad list. I personally didn't get why Bayonetta was so special, and I expected Minecraft and Demon's Souls to do a lot better. Oh, well! Looks like I need to do another Mass Effect run.
Demon Souls is a 2009 game though...

Oh, 2010 for EU. Pfft

GhaleonQ said:
This year, large portions of NeoGAF appreciated high-octane, action-oriented games of moderate depth that don't take themselves too seriously.
I'll agree with this part...

This is just a hodgepodge of games that had big marketing budgets.
...but not so much this part. Super Meat Boy was an indie game, Lara Croft was an under-the-radar download title, and I remember lack of marketing being blamed for why Just Cause 2 and Vanquish bombed at retail. Maybe the rest of them though...

parasight

Just want to show some love for Cheesemeister and timetokill for their labor. You guys really busted your balls to give us the best GOTY data possible. So much numbers. Excellent job guys!

RustyO

Just wanted to say a big thank you to timetokill and Cheesemeister (and anyone else who might have been involved) for all your efforts in organising and compiling results. Thanks a lot.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
this data set will make it easy to pick out the warriors.

tumblr_lefszqdQgZ1qf8yek.gif

The downloadable data has been updated with fixes regarding platforms for Mass Effect 2 and Costume Quest. Please refer to the OP and re-download if need be.

Missed the spreadsheet update, hold on...

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I wish I had played GT5 before I voted. GT5 with a force feedback wheel is one of the most rich gaming experiences ever. The amount of focus and skill required is incredible, and the amount of content is unprecedented. I love it. The whole experience is compulsive for me.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
cooljeanius said:
I'll agree with this part...

...but not so much this part. Super Meat Boy was an indie game, Lara Croft was an under-the-radar download title, and I remember lack of marketing being blamed for why Just Cause 2 and Vanquish bombed at retail. Maybe the rest of them though...

Did you happen to see that he posted a link to the 2007 GOTY list before saying what you responded to with the bolded? He wasn't talking about this year's list being a hodgepodge of games with large marketing budgets. He was talking about 2007.

Alts

Worth pointing out to those who dislike the new system that Ranks 1 - 18 would be exactly the same according to the Amirox (10, 9, 8,...) scale.

Guevara

Anyone looking into how the new points method affected the rankings? I doubt anything substantial would change, but it would be interested to note.

EDIT: Thanks.

BobsRevenge said:
I wish I had played GT5 before I voted. GT5 with a force feedback wheel is one of the most rich gaming experiences ever. The amount of focus and skill required is incredible, and the amount of content is unprecedented. I love it.

Surprising it got 10th, since the game is massively flawed. But considering the mammoth OT, there is still a large fanbase for fine racing gameplay.

GT5 is the antidote for Heavy Rain.

DMeisterJ

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
this data set will make it easy to pick out the warriors.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lefszqdQgZ1qf8yek.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Thank god my vote was split perfectly. 2 PS3 games, 2 360 games, and 2 multi-plat games. Of course, it wasn't on purpose... or was it?

Happy to see Bayonetta in 4th and winning its genre award. Also pleased about Amnesia winning best horror and Vanquish winning best shooter, though I would have liked to see it higher in the top 20. Super Meat Boy winning best downloadable game is nice too.

ME2 and RDR are the only ones in the top 10 I haven't played yet so can't really comment on them. Guess I need to check them out.

Thank you to cheeemeister and timetokill for putting the work in!

edit: damn, no dead rising 2 anywhere. ouch :-/

Guevara said:
Anyone looking into how the new points method affected the rankings? I doubt anything substantial would change, but it would be interested to note.

EDIT: Thanks.

The spreadsheet has that scale under the "Old Points" column.

The downloadable data has been updated with fixes regarding platforms for Mass Effect 2 and Costume Quest. Please refer to the OP and re-download if need be.

Seraphis Cain said:
Did you happen to see that he posted a link to the 2007 GOTY list before saying what you responded to with the bolded? He wasn't talking about this year's list being a hodgepodge of games with large marketing budgets. He was talking about 2007.
Oops, I didn't bother to click through that link because I thought he was just linking back to the OP. Seems kind of a stupid assumption to make now that I think about it...

Alts

Cheese, any possibility of getting this data in JSON? Otherwise I might just do it myself and post it here when it's done.

botticus

jetjevons said:
Surprised Amensia dominated horror. Shattered Memories was pretty awesome.
I'd have put SH:SM in my list, but it was a 2009 game for me, though I didn't play it till January.

Alts said:
Cheese, any possibility of getting this data in JSON? Otherwise I might just do it myself and post it here when it's done.

Maybe, but not right away. This is the first I've heard of the format. How many people would use it?

Cheech

Omotesando said:
The year Starcraft 2 took 8th place on a 'hardcore' game forum.

They didn't really update the first game enough, honestly. I had SC2 on my list, but I put Civ V higher. It was simply a better game, and was more improved over its predecessor IMO.

another perspective.. of the main top 25 games, there are....

• 16 available on Xbox360 (3 exclusives)
  • 15 available on PS3 (including ME2, come on, it's less than 2 weeks) (3 exclusives)
  • 8 available on PC (2 exclusives)
  • 2 available on Wii (2 exclusives)
  • 1 available on PSP (1 exclusive)
  • 1 available on NDS (1 exclusive)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Solo said:
Mass Effect 2?

Fuck you, GAF!

Seriously. BC2 not winning #1 is criminal. *flips over Evilore's server rack*

dude

dude
Great job on the stats.

Been a rather horrible year for me, though. I think I bought like... One game, the entire year.

Alts

Cheesemeister said:
Maybe, but not right away. This is the first I've heard of the format. How many people would use it?

JSON is a wonderful format. Anyway, don't worry about it. I'll do it once I'm off work.

As for how many people would use it? At least one (me).

Rctdaemon

Pretty happy with the results overall. In case anyone is interested in how the top 25 is distributed by publisher, I threw that together:

Square-Eidos: 4
Microsoft: 3
Nintendo: 3
Sony: 3
EA: 2
Indie: 2
Sega: 2
ActiBlizz: 1
Bethesda: 1
Capcom: 1
Konami: 1
TakeTwo: 1
Ubisoft: 1

ZZMitch

Minecraft #21

GAF partically redeemed! Should be higher though... much higher. :D Very surprised it beat out Civilization 5, GAF got that right at least.

And thanks for using my quote!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Air Zombie Meat said:
Happy to see Bayonetta in 4th and winning its genre award. Also pleased about Amnesia winning best horror and Vanquish winning best shooter, though I would have liked to see it higher in the top 20. Super Meat Boy winning best downloadable game is nice too.

ME2 and RDR are the only ones in the top 10 I haven't played yet so can't really comment on them. Guess I need to check them out.

Thank you to cheeemeister and timetokill for putting the work in!

edit: damn, no dead rising 2 anywhere. ouch :-/

Dead Rising 2 ranked like, 30th I think.

imtehman

Banned
I didn't think ME2 should of won GoTY but not surprised in the least.

Bayonetta over GoW3 is pretty shocking i still haven't opened my bayonetta copy yet, just haven't had the time.

Wish Alan Wake Got more love though, my game of the generation so far

other than that, great work guys!

Unicorn

Rabbitwork said:
i don't really see how time invested = how much you like the game.
You mean you pour tons of time into games you hate? :lol

I wish I had the free time you had... and I just quit my job!

Completely random, but it'd be interesting to know which Gaffer's personal picks matched closest to the collective result. We can then send this person as a GAF ambassador when the alien mothership arrives.

Top Bottom