• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

Upz28Ws.png

OVERALL ◆ GENRE ◆ PLATFORM ◆ BONUS ◆ CENSUS ◆ FULL DATA

Notes

2ZbS5pJ.png
mNRUWWo.png

01. Bayonetta 2 = 1132 points, 12 honorable mentions
megalowho said:
Colorful, confident and relentless, Bayonetta 2 is an assault on the senses and reflexes from start to finish that improves on the original from top to bottom. A campaign where each chapter is a spectacle and every character wants to go to Fimbulvinter, a trove of challenges and unlockables to work towards after completion and brilliant gameplay further refined to be as stylish, fluid and fun to execute as any I've come across in the genre. At it's heart, Bayonetta 2 is pure arcade action; the DNA of Sega, Capcom and Nintendo combining to infuse Platinum's work with old school sensibilities alongside a generous serving of cheesecake and chaos.
SaintMadeOfPlaster said:
Bayonetta 2 is to Bayonetta as Mario Galaxy 2 is to Mario Galaxy. It takes the foundations of its predecessor and shows us just how far they can take it, and it's executed perfectly. It was this game, more than any other this year, that I can point to and say "this is why I love this hobby."
Zia said:
Sexy, sassy and triumphantly video game-y. I'd rank it alongside Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy as among the best thing(s) Nintendo has ever touched, and I'm super grateful that they decided to work with Platinum.
Eolz said:
By far the best game of the year. Nobody expected it, Nintendo saved it, people cried about it, but more importantly, we've been able to play it. It being the sequel of one of the best games of last generation, arguably in the top 3 3D BTA. Great OST, awesome controls, fun costumes, better balanced than the first one. The game of this generation so far, and will be remembered for years to come.

0hHsyq4.png
9xUkXfx.png

02. Mario Kart 8 = 925 points, 21 honorable mentions
Caramello said:
The best Mario Kart title yet and one that brings real change while refining the good old Mario Kart gameplay to what feels like utter perfection. I can't compliment this game enough! The gameplay is rock solid, the track design and selection is fantastic, the online is smooth and presentation is the best it has ever been. The added benefit of having the best DLC of the year is just the cherry on top. A proper battle mode would have been great but the game doesn't feel like it's any less complete. It may not be my GOTY but in five years time with the benefit of age it could definitely find itself a GOTG contender for me.
conman said:
There are good Mario Kart games and there are great ones. Then there is the best. The latest Kart isn't just the culmination of iteration over decades. This was made with love, passion, and inspiration. In a year plagued with so many flubbed launches, drops in quality assurance, and just plain cynical entries in long-standing IPs, Mario Kart 8 doesn't need to draw attention to how insanely polished it is from top to bottom. It simply sings and soars. It's beautiful. It's balanced. It's diverse. It is generous and thoughtful in its DLC in ways that other major IP are not, or simply cannot be. It is all the more special for being the game that my wife and I will both play together for hours straight. This is a game with real heart and soul--an exceedingly rare quality in the AAA space these days.

ZPAsq0x.png
vWIEz8F.png

03. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U = 850 points, 20 honorable mentions
Arion said:
Smash has a low skill floor and a high skill ceiling, which is the testament of it's impeccable design. It is full of depth and nuance to make it worthwhile experience for the competitive/hardcore audience yet it is also straightforward to understand for newcomers . It is a ton of fun with friends, it looks fantastic, the music is awesome and most importantly it feels good to play. There is a mountain of variety in stages, characters and game modes. Smash Wii U is a must have for any fighting game enthusiast.
TheBigG753 said:
Back and better than ever, the latest Smash Bros. for the Wii U checks off nearly every box that a 2014 Smash Bros. has to. Multiplayer has been a blast, both online and locally, and the sheer volume of modes and customization options available in both realms is staggering and very much welcome. Whether I'm looking for complete and utter chaos or a more purist-route at any given time, it's all there at my fingertips and has been a ton of fun in the short time I've spent with it so far. And let's not forget about the single-player, which is filled to the brim with content and sports dozens of challenges that I suspect will keep me busy for many months and years to come. With the newest entry into the franchise, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U maintains the series standing as one of the most fun multiplayer experiences and a celebration of all things Nintendo.

V7HHm8y.png
VYsfmhi.png

04. Dragon Age: Inquisition = 803 points, 22 honorable mentions
ElectronicOldMen said:
An excellent return to form, reminding you just how engrossing a good Bioware RPG can be in case you ever forgot. They clearly took a lot of pointers from one Skyrim in terms of the amount of content and the exploration possibilities, and it certainly scratches those Bethesda RPG itches damn well - much better than any previous Bioware game. Also helps that the story and characters are great, the environments are beautiful to look at and the combat is rather enjoyable, too. I've already sunk an awful lot of time into this game, and I'm quite happy to sink an awful lot more in. If this is the template Bioware are working from on their future games, I'm really looking forward to the next Mass Effect.
Lakitu said:
It's the best RPG I've played since Skyrim. Beautiful, detailed and creative world with interesting characters and quests. This is coming from someone who isn't really a Dragon Age fan at all. I didn't play the first and I pretty much loathed the second. It has it's problems undoubtedly but I assume it's a learning curve for Bioware as it's their most ambitious game yet. Even with the fetch quests... I enjoyed every minute of the 150 hours I put in. So much lore, dialogue to sink your teeth into. I'm already aching for DLC. It's not often I say that.

RRnnZvI.png
JhPPjGE.png

05. Dark Souls II = 721 points, 10 honorable mentions
pantsmith said:
Dark Souls II is the Metal Gear Solid 2 of the Souls series, a twisted fever dream and meditation on its predecessor that is simultaneously "not as good" and "better than" the rest of the series. Its batshit crazy, polarizing, and we need more games like it.
The Dear Leader said:
From's return to the hardcore punishing arena, Dark Souls II takes the series in a more streamlined direction, giving players more options while taking some of the challenge out of the experience, with top notch controls, intense gameplay, it's one of the best Action RPG's of the last decade.

JVWq66z.png
jVWFehN.png

06. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze = 675 points, 16 honorable mentions
ShockingAlberto said:
DKCR is a bit of a chink in Retro's otherwise fairly nice armor. I don't dislike the game, but it didn't blow me away like I had expected it would. It was fairly by the numbers without a huge emphasis on excellent platforming or level design. Tropical Freeze definitely fixes that by being one of the tightest, most well-designed platformers around. The organic care that's put into the world is unmatched in any other platformer out there and Retro should be proud of this effort.
Zalman said:
This game, man. This game. Colorful, gorgeous visuals. Smooth framerate. Flawless controls. Challenging levels. Absolutely insane soundtrack you will listen to for years to come. This game was labeled as "just another Donkey Kong game", but it's much more than that. It's the best one yet.

dEZbGph.png
ovafy7R.png

07. Wolfenstein: The New Order = 607 points, 19 honorable mentions
ezekial45 said:
In a time where FPS titles emulate Call of Duty and other generic military action games, Wolfenstein: The New Order returns to the roots of the genre and shows that sometimes you need just to let players shoot shit up. In many ways, it feels like a throwback title trying to reconcile its place in the modern area, and it totally works in its favor. TNO blends the best of high-budget FPS game of today, with the pure action oriented gameplay of the past. It's truly the best of both worlds.
Ikon said:
I've always had a weakness for first person shooters but lately I feel like they've been getting progressively worse. Enter The New Order, a game that seems to ignore all the Call of Duties and Battlefields of recent years and instead builds upon slightly older genre staples. The maps are larger and there's multiple ways to approach them with pretty clever secrets to try to find throughout. Also the gunplay is phenomenal and the health system manages to feel like a breath of fresh air. To sum it up Wolfenstein TNO is a return to format for the first person genre and I look forward to what Machinehead games will give us next.

Cgvucpe.png
KOp2llz.png

08. South Park: The Stick of Truth = 564 points, 12 honorable mentions
zero shift said:
This is such a good licensed game that I don't even consider it to be a licensed game. It is a legitimate playable episode of South Park. It has the exact same graphics as the show, the same writing, the same cast, etc. The only difference is that the game entertained me and made me laugh more than the show has in years.Matt Stone and Trey Parker are at their peak with this game with their satirical and gross out humor is as well. The game hits all the right notes as it entertains the player and explore the lore of the South Park universe. Sure the game isn't as deep as Wasteland or Shin Megami Tensei, but it isn't suppose to be. It's suppose to be a whimsical playable episode of the show and it achieves that perfectly. The game also pushes the ESRB "M" rating as much as possible was the game has full frontal nudity, sex, and people going into a guy's ass. And those aren't even the worst things in the game. Curious to what those things are? Buy the game.
BananasWithGuns said:
I'm not sure a game has ever used its source material so perfectly. It just can't be overstated how true to the show that the game really is. Matt and Trey's work and influence can be seen in every corner of the game and the story and combat are both hilarious and engaging from beginning to end.

AgJe1ZO.png
a9ckkXV.png

09. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor = 559 points, 25 honorable mentions
ShockingAlberto said:
Mordor was a game a friend told me he was glad was good, because video games were starting to be a bummer. I can't help but agree, in a year where we're marrying broken games to a total lack of gameplay ambition to excuse said problems, Mordor bucked that trend by employing the Nemesis system into its fundamental game design. The game feels good to play, it feels good to fight and move around, it's a strong game all around. I am excited for a Mordor 2 with a bit more design and a little more flesh around the bones, but the first stab is still incredible.
Struct09 said:
Hands down the most fun I had playing any game this year. The Nemesis System brings something that is not only fresh and new, but also something that has been very well executed. Never have I had such a strong reaction to taking out an NPC than I did when I finally killed that damn orc that got really powerful from killing me over and over. The combat system may have been shamelessly borrowed from the Arkham series, but it fits so well with the game that I don't mind at all. This game became my first platinum trophy and I had a blast the whole time.

0VZcg1D.png
TZTXi41.png

10. Shovel Knight = 549 points, 14 honorable mentions
Vire said:
A timeless game that would be just as good if it was released in the 1980's as it is in 2014, this NES style adventure harkens back to some of the greatest classics of that era and does so in superb fashion. Tight controls, cool chip tune beats and a colorful art style make this game one of the more memorable 8-bit re-imaginings in recent memory.
jimboton said:
Nintendo tier retro platformer. Plays like a dream . Best soundtrack of the year possibly. I'd love to see a sequel making the jump to pseudo 16 bit and a bigger scope, with interconnected world design and adventure elements. Done right Super Shovel Knight could be GOTY material.

cDNJSd3.png
gwD8Ldk.png

11. Alien: Isolation = 395 points, 15 honorable mentions
Lime said:
I actually didn't expect this game to be as good as it was. The lighting is probably the best I've ever seen, the sound design is impeccable, the alien AI is surprising and challenging, the adherence to the original film's tone and horror is unmatched, and I liked the protagonist's journey throughout this game. Definitely the best Alien video game adaptation to grace the medium.

2QgaDQE.png
kw4gfLz.png

12. Destiny = 344 points, 21 honorable mentions
SPE said:
Mechanically perfect and the most compelling, time consuming, interesting game of the year by a wide margin. The core shooting game is so tight and enjoyable, that all its flaws are secondary to the fun I have, each and every time I play it. Grind doesn't feel like grind if you enjoy what you're doing. Whether I'm out on Patrol, or doing Strikes, Heroic dailies or chasing bounties, none of it has felt stale yet as the core shooting is so good. Aside from a couple of PSN wobbles, haven't had a single blip with online, with matchmaking taking seconds not minutes. In 2014, that was an achievement in itself.

zEqVC7r.png
Vx4v3Nm.png

13. Infamous: Second Son = 342 points, 21 honorable mentions
KyleP29 said:
I had a blast with this game. I played both infamous games before hand and felt this was the best of both. The powers were unique and fun to use, the story was interesting, and the graphics were absolutely stunning. While some found it too short I found it just the perfect length. By the time the credits rolled I was still itching for more and hopped right into a second play through to catch the other side of the Karma tree. Something I never wanted to do with the previous games.

zNRsxPf.png
P6kEeFB.png

14. Divinity: Original Sin = 339 points, 7 honorable mentions
charlequin said:
I almost didn't play this game based on the reputation of Larian, the developer -- previously known as the maker of janky, awkward Euro RPGs that people have been picking up in random bundles for a few years now. Compared to their previous work, though, this game is a revelation. D:OS was built with the ambition of reviving a style of classic-fantasy Western RPG that's been distressingly absent, and it accomplishes it far better than most people seem to have expected. On a story level, the game trades tedious exposition for a huge volume of individually entertaining quests with a surprisingly wide range of possible solutions. The game's character system provides clear class roles but provides a huge amount of flexibility to customize your PCs into whatever mix of them you want, with a good mix of combat and utility abilities. The place it excels the most, though, is in its combat system -- a turn-based, action-point system that has the deepest and most intricate system of environmental interactions I've ever encountered; I put 100 hours into this game and never got to the point where I stopped finding cool new ways to engage with the system. This is undoubtedly the best RPG of 2014, and one of the best of its kind in years.

jcoCXzd.png
5ML0LHB.png

15. Sunset Overdrive = 313 points, 11 honorable mentions
op_ivy said:
A truly unique new IP with a new twist on gameplay which, in this day and age, should be celebrated. Insomniac nailed virtually every aspect, but absolutely killed it on the movement and traversal options which are neither automatically driven, nor cumbersome, but allow you to quickly and effectively move through the city-scape in fun, fast, and exciting ways.

uyBwOaR.png
2vEvxtH.png

16. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc = 298 points, 12 honorable mentions
Domstercool said:
Deserves to be in any top ten for delivering some exciting, thought-provoking and interesting storytelling – one of the best stories of the year – while throwing in fun court-room drama with speedier gameplay than the likes of the brilliant Ace Attorney games, along with a wonderful soundtrack to boot. Danganronpa wouldn’t let me put the Vita down; showcasing its strong hold on me while I tried to uncover what the hell was going on in this twisted murder mystery game.

B3zJ50D.png
m0wNlfR.png

17. Transistor = 279 points, 16 honorable mentions
Endo Punk said:
Best game I played this year. Pick any aspect of the game and you would be hard pressed to find a flaw, from soundtrack to story to gameplay to visuals it's just an experience Im very thankful for as a gamer. Its deep and absorbing and doesn't let up from the start to finish. Story though minimal is full off surprises and doesn't get in the way of the gameplay which shines so damn bright. Customization and experimentation is key to get as much out the game weeks after you have initially beat it. And you have a dedicated button to hum along to the soundtrack, so good.

V7qT6hW.png
qfraaDt.png

18. The Evil Within = 278 points, 19 honorable mentions
TheSpaceBetween said:
This is one of the most creative games I've played in a while. No, it wasn't the return to survival horror that Mikami promised it would be. It was, however, the best action horror game since Dead Space. This is a game that demanded the player respect it's rules. If you try to play it like a standard shooter, you will pay dearly. My favorite thing about the game was the sheer variety across a meaty campaign. From the encounter design to the environments, something new was always around the corner. I also loved the reoccurring boss battles. They were unique in their execution and they felt like true adversaries that kept coming back no matter how hard you tried to kill them. I was also one of the few who enjoyed the story, even though it didn't make too much sense. But I wasn't expecting greatness in that area, as it is a Mikami game.

OR1VufS.png
eXxO9LA.png

19. Far Cry 4 = 255 points, 14 honorable mentions
Hugstable said:
Having never played a game in this series before, this game was quite a surprise for me. I got addicted, and ended up not only Platinuming the game, but I also got 100% completion, as in all Shangri-La, all collectiables... EVERYTHING. I FUCKING LOVED IT. Just the vistas, exploring the unknown, hunting animals, stealthing outposts, it all just felt good. I loved almost every minute I spent in Kyrat, and while many don't like the Shangri-La portions of the game, I fell in love with them, the atmospehre there was something else.

hUlRyb6.png
Hgh0w7b.png

20. Driveclub = 255 points, 7 honorable mentions
tusken77 said:
DriveClub is not only an extremely fun, addictive game to play with its excellent handling model and strong social hooks, but it was also the first game to show me that, in terms of visuals, the new generation really has arrived. It's no exaggeration to say that it's the best looking game I've ever played - at times it genuinely looks real. And, as a lover of eye candy, it's that photorealism combined with the exhilaration provided by the purity of its racing that ultimately secures my 2014 top spot.

----- GENRE AWARDS -----

2ZbS5pJ.png
R8A6rSX.png

Action Game of the Year: Bayonetta 2 = 1132 points, 12 honorable mentions
2. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor = 559 points, 25 honorable mentions
3. Infamous: Second Son = 342 points, 21 honorable mentions
4. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes = 252 points, 33 honorable mentions
5. Hyrule Warriors = 111 points, 10 honorable mentions
6. Infamous: First Light = 46 points, 5 honorable mentions
7. Azure Striker Gunvolt = 16 points, 3 honorable mentions
8. NES Remix 2 = 15 points, 3 honorable mentions
9. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 = 15 points, 1 honorable mention
10. Pix the Cat = 13 points, 3 honorable mentions

uyBwOaR.png
01nZTol.png

Adventure Game of the Year: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc = 298 points, 12 honorable mentions
2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair = 226 points, 6 honorable mentions
3. The Last of Us: Left Behind = 180 points, 11 honorable mentions
4. The Wolf Among Us: Episodes 2-5 = 155 points, 11 honorable mentions
5. Valiant Hearts: The Great War = 148 points, 13 honorable mentions
6. The Walking Dead: Season Two: Episodes 2-5 = 107 points, 12 honorable mentions
7. Jazzpunk = 67 points, 3 honorable mentions
8. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die = 63 points, 5 honorable mentions
9. Watch_Dogs = 62 points, 7 honorable mentions
10. 80 Days = 58 points, 2 honorable mentions

ZPAsq0x.png
zRr9zPT.png

Fighting Game of the Year: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U = 850 points, 20 honorable mentions
2. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS = 141 points, 15 honorable mentions
3. Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- = 62 points, 6 honorable mentions
4. Nidhogg = 49 points, 8 honorable mentions
5. Ultra Street Fighter IV = 41 points, 6 honorable mentions
6. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax = 35 points, 6 honorable mentions
7. Killer Instinct: Season 2 = 14 points, 3 honorable mentions
8. Lethal League = 11 points
9. One Finger Death Punch = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
10. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle = 6 points, 1 honorable mention

dEZbGph.png
f1Z8Gmd.png

FPS Game of the Year: Wolfenstein: The New Order = 607 points, 19 honorable mentions
2. Destiny = 344 points, 21 honorable mentions
3. Far Cry 4 = 255 points, 14 honorable mentions
4. Titanfall = 226 points, 13 honorable mentions
5. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare = 102 points, 6 honorable mentions
6. BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea: Episode 2 = 33 points, 4 honorable mentions
7. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! = 20 points, 1 honorable mention
8. Insurgency = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
9. Ziggurat = 4 points
10. Lovely Planet = 3 points, 3 honorable mentions

cDNJSd3.png
J2cwe7M.png

Horror Game of the Year: Alien: Isolation = 395 points, 15 honorable mentions
2. The Evil Within = 278 points, 19 honorable mentions
3. P.T. = 168 points, 23 honorable mentions
4. Five Nights at Freddy's = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
5. NaissanceE = 4 points
6. Murasaki Baby = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
7. Dead Rising 3: Apocalypse Edition = 1 point, 2 honorable mentions
8. The Uncle Who Works For Nintendo = 1 point
9. Corpse Party: Blood Drive = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
9. Zero: Nuregarasu no Miko = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

zywipgC.png
pGRLcml.png

MMO Game of the Year: World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor = 63 points, 2 honorable mentions
2. Elite: Dangerous = 18 points
3. Marvel Heroes 2015 = 14 points, 2 honorable mentions
4. WildStar = 5 points
5. Velvet Sundown = 2 points
6. Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan = 1 point
7. The Elder Scrolls Online = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

JVWq66z.png
zSLjAMb.png

Platform Game of the Year: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze = 675 points, 16 honorable mentions
2. Shovel Knight = 549 points, 14 honorable mentions
3. Kirby: Triple Deluxe = 71 points, 8 honorable mentions
4. Strider = 32 points, 6 honorable mentions
5. LittleBigPlanet 3 = 30 points, 3 honorable mentions
6. Trials Fusion = 25 points, 1 honorable mention
7. Freedom Planet = 16 points
8. Yoshi's New Island = 13 points
9. Aban Hawkins and the 1001 Spikes = 12 points, 1 honorable mention
10. Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones = 8 points, 1 honorable mention

5WH1Bzj.png
njZPRHP.png

Puzzle Game of the Year: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker = 152 points, 11 honorable mentions
2. Threes = 61 points, 4 honorable mentions
3. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney = 58 points, 10 honorable mentions
4. Monument Valley = 53 points, 5 honorable mentions
5. The Talos Principle = 44 points, 2 honorable mentions
6. Hohokum = 35 points, 3 honorable mentions
7. Hexcells Infinite = 24 points, 1 honorable mention
8. Never Alone = 17 points, 4 honorable mentions
9. Pushmo World = 13 points, 1 honorable mention
10. Escape Goat 2 = 11 points, 3 honorable mentions

0hHsyq4.png
b1dMxFe.png

Racing Game of the Year: Mario Kart 8 = 925 points, 21 honorable mentions
2. Driveclub = 255 points, 7 honorable mentions
3. Forza Horizon 2 = 169 points, 3 honorable mentions
4. Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 1 = 13 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. The Crew = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
6. Grid Autosport = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
7. Drift'n'Drive = 1 point
8. Assetto Corsa = 1 point
8. T.E.C. 3001 = 1 point

xLxVSVU.png
Q4LeAj7.png

Rhythm Game of the Year: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call = 86 points, 7 honorable mentions
2. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd = 40 points, 1 honorable mention
3. Love Live: School Idol Festival = 29 points, 1 honorable mention
4. Fantasia: Music Evolved = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
5. Fract OSC = 7 points, 2 honorable mentions
6. The Idolmaster One For All = 5 points
7. Project 575 = 2 points
8. Taiko no Tatsujin: Don and Katsu's Great Spacetime Adventure = 1 point
9. Entwined = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

V7HHm8y.png
QkurRtZ.png

RPG Game of the Year: Dragon Age: Inquisition = 803 points, 22 honorable mentions
2. Dark Souls II = 721 points, 10 honorable mentions
3. South Park: The Stick of Truth = 564 points, 12 honorable mentions
4. Divinity: Original Sin = 339 points, 7 honorable mentions
5. Transistor = 279 points, 16 honorable mentions
6. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls = 187 points, 9 honorable mentions
7. Bravely Default = 135 points, 12 honorable mentions
8. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition = 130 points, 6 honorable mentions
9. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth = 128 points, 7 honorable mentions
10. Child of Light = 113 points, 12 honorable mentions

jcoCXzd.png
K7Mv4jQ.png

Shooter Game of the Year: Sunset Overdrive = 313 points, 11 honorable mentions
2. Velocity 2X = 102 points, 4 honorable mentions
3. Luftrausers = 50 points, 10 honorable mentions
4. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions = 32 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. Crimzon Clover World Ignition = 23 points
6. TxK = 20 points, 2 honorable mentions
7. Earth Defense Force 2025 = 19 points, 1 honorable mention
8. Super Time Force = 16 points, 4 honorable mentions
9. Sniper Elite III = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
10. Super Time Force Ultra = 5 points, 2 honorable mentions

E9andbJ.png
ci7zOZI.png

Simulation Game of the Year: Banished = 27 points, 4 honorable mentions
2. Tomodachi Life = 20 points, 4 honorable mentions
3. Goat Simulator = 20 points
4. The Sims 4 = 6 points
5. Steel Diver: Sub Wars = 4 points, 3 honorable mentions
6. Pure Pool = 4 points
7. Ace Combat Infinity = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
8. The Long Dark = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
9. Out There = 2 points
10. Farming Simulator 15 = 1 point

NhWp6zB.png
CtiBLRZ.png

Sports Game of the Year: OlliOlli = 36 points, 6 honorable mentions
2. Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 = 36 points, 2 honorable mentions
3. Mario Golf: World Tour = 21 points, 5 honorable mentions
4. Sportsfriends = 17 points, 4 honorable mentions
5. FIFA 15 = 16 points
6. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball = 13 points, 2 honorable mentions
7. Desert Golfing = 12 points, 1 honorable mention
8. MLB 14: The Show = 10 points, 5 honorable mentions
9. The Golf Club = 8 points, 2 honorable mentions
10. Nintendo Pocket Football Club = 8 points, 1 honorable mention

fbA9rSW.png
kqIEnaa.png

Strategy Game of the Year: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft = 252 points, 8 honorable mentions
2. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare = 129 points, 9 honorable mentions
3. The Banner Saga = 124 points, 6 honorable mentions
4. Civilization: Beyond Earth = 30 points, 4 honorable mentions
5. Endless Legend = 30 points, 4 honorable mentions
6. Hitman Go = 29 points, 3 honorable mentions
7. Age of Wonders III = 26 points
8. FTL: Advanced Edition = 16 points, 1 honorable mention
9. Door Kickers = 11 points
10. Xenonauts = 10 points, 1 honorable mention

----- PLATFORM EXCLUSIVE and DOWNLOAD-ONLY AWARDS -----

jcoCXzd.png
8SLEcBe.png

XB1 Game of the Year: Sunset Overdrive = 313 points, 11 honorable mentions
2. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die = 63 points, 5 honorable mentions
3. Halo: The Master Chief Collection = 37 points, 7 honorable mentions
4. Killer Instinct: Season 2 = 14 points, 3 honorable mentions
5. Pinball FX 2 = 2 points

zHvGaiZ.png
H2NyYCf.png

PS3 Game of the Year: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix = 27 points, 4 honorable mentions
2. Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky = 27 points, 3 honorable mentions
3. Tales of Xillia 2 = 22 points, 4 honorable mentions
4. Drakengard 3 = 20 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost = 16 points

uyBwOaR.png
2ZPZFsO.png

PSV Game of the Year: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc = 298 points, 12 honorable mentions
2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair = 226 points, 6 honorable mentions
3. Freedom Wars = 33 points, 6 honorable mentions
4. TxK = 20 points, 2 honorable mentions
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F = 17 points, 3 honorable mentions

zEqVC7r.png
2Td9ddg.png

PS4 Game of the Year: Infamous: Second Son = 342 points, 21 honorable mentions
2. The Last of Us: Remastered = 276 points, 29 honorable mentions
3. Driveclub = 255 points, 7 honorable mentions
4. P.T. = 168 points, 23 honorable mentions
5. Infamous: First Light = 46 points, 5 honorable mentions

1ZiTj7o.png
gM10EV8.png

3DS Game of the Year: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS = 141 points, 15 honorable mentions
2. Bravely Default = 135 points, 12 honorable mentions
3. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth = 128 points, 7 honorable mentions
4. Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire = 99 points, 8 honorable mentions
5. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call = 86 points, 7 honorable mentions

2ZbS5pJ.png
u8SD8ln.png

NWU Game of the Year: Bayonetta 2 = 1132 points, 12 honorable mentions
2. Mario Kart 8 = 925 points, 21 honorable mentions
3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U = 850 points, 20 honorable mentions
4. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze = 675 points, 16 honorable mentions
5. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker = 152 points, 11 honorable mentions

zNRsxPf.png
FiXIZjj.png

PC Game of the Year: Divinity: Original Sin = 339 points, 7 honorable mentions
2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance = 87 points, 5 honorable mentions
3. Wasteland 2 = 76 points, 8 honorable mentions
4. Valkyria Chronicles = 71 points, 9 honorable mentions
5. Jazzpunk = 67 points, 3 honorable mentions

V7HHm8y.png
8pGj7n1.png

Multiplatform Game of the Year: Dragon Age: Inquisition = 803 points, 22 honorable mentions
2. Dark Souls II = 721 points, 10 honorable mentions
3. Wolfenstein: The New Order = 607 points, 19 honorable mentions
4. South Park: The Stick of Truth = 564 points, 12 honorable mentions
5. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor = 559 points, 25 honorable mentions
6. Shovel Knight = 549 points, 14 honorable mentions
7. Alien: Isolation = 395 points, 15 honorable mentions
8. Destiny = 344 points, 21 honorable mentions
9. Transistor = 279 points, 16 honorable mentions
10. The Evil Within = 278 points, 19 honorable mentions

----- HANDHELD and MOBILE AWARDS -----
0VZcg1D.png
mBSN7Ca.png

Handheld Game of the Year: Shovel Knight = 549 points, 14 honorable mentions
2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc = 298 points, 12 honorable mentions
3. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair = 226 points, 6 honorable mentions
4. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth = 176 points, 12 honorable mentions
5. The Wolf Among Us: Episodes 2-5 = 155 points, 11 honorable mentions
6. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS = 141 points, 15 honorable mentions
7. Bravely Default = 135 points, 12 honorable mentions
8. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth = 128 points, 7 honorable mentions
9. Child of Light = 113 points, 12 honorable mentions
10. The Walking Dead: Season Two: Episodes 2-5 = 107 points, 12 honorable mentions

fbA9rSW.png
5kF0vU2.png

Mobile Game of the Year: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft = 252 points, 8 honorable mentions
2. The Wolf Among Us: Episodes 2-5 = 155 points, 11 honorable mentions
3. Valiant Hearts: The Great War = 148 points, 13 honorable mentions
4. The Banner Saga = 124 points, 6 honorable mentions
5. Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall = 84 points, 2 honorable mentions
6. Threes = 61 points, 4 honorable mentions
7. 80 Days = 58 points, 2 honorable mentions
8. Monument Valley = 53 points, 5 honorable mentions
9. Broken Age: Act 1 = 32 points, 8 honorable mentions
10. Hitman Go = 29 points, 3 honorable mentions

----- DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION AWARDS -----
0VZcg1D.png
r9sEPyG.png

Downloadable Game of the Year: Shovel Knight = 549 points, 14 honorable mentions
2. Transistor = 279 points, 16 honorable mentions
3. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft = 252 points, 8 honorable mentions
4. The Last of Us: Left Behind = 180 points, 11 honorable mentions
5. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth = 176 points, 12 honorable mentions
6. P.T. = 168 points, 23 honorable mentions
7. The Wolf Among Us: Episodes 2-5 = 155 points, 11 honorable mentions
8. Valiant Hearts: The Great War = 148 points, 13 honorable mentions
9. The Banner Saga = 124 points, 6 honorable mentions
10. Child of Light = 113 points, 12 honorable mentions

----- BONUS AWARDS -----

Widespread Appeal Award
The top 20 games ranked by number of appearances in ballots. (### = number of appearances)

1. Mario Kart 8 (410)
2. Bayonetta 2 (365)
3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (328)
4. Dark Souls II (282)
5. Wolfenstein: The New Order (279)
6. Dragon Age: Inquisition (277)
7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (266)
7. South Park: The Stick of Truth (266)
7. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (266)
10. Shovel Knight (262)
11. Infamous: Second Son (195)
12. Destiny (160)
13. Alien: Isolation (156)
14. Transistor (141)
15. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (138)
16. The Evil Within (128)
17. Divinity: Original Sin (127)
18. Sunset Overdrive (124)
19. Far Cry 4 (122)
19. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (122)

Passion Award
The top 20 games ranked by quantity of rank 1s awarded in ballots. (### = number of rank 1s awarded)

1. Bayonetta 2 (160)
2. Dragon Age: Inquisition (103)
3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (62)
4. Dark Souls II (57)
5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (55)
6. Mario Kart 8 (42)
7. Divinity: Original Sin (39)
8. Alien: Isolation (38)
9. Sunset Overdrive (33)
10. Destiny (28)
11. Wolfenstein: The New Order (27)
12. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (24)
13. The Last of Us: Remastered (21)
14. Grand Theft Auto V (20)
15. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (19)
15. Driveclub (19)
15. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (19)
15. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (19)
19. South Park: The Stick of Truth (18)
19. Shovel Knight (18)

Best New IP Award
The top 20 games that do not belong to a preexisting franchise.

1. Shovel Knight = 549 points, 14 honorable mentions
2. Destiny = 344 points, 21 honorable mentions
3. Sunset Overdrive = 313 points, 11 honorable mentions
4. Transistor = 279 points, 16 honorable mentions
5. The Evil Within = 278 points, 19 honorable mentions
6. Driveclub = 255 points, 7 honorable mentions
7. Titanfall = 226 points, 13 honorable mentions
8. Valiant Hearts: The Great War = 148 points, 13 honorable mentions
9. Child of Light = 113 points, 12 honorable mentions
10. Jazzpunk = 67 points, 3 honorable mentions
11. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die = 63 points, 5 honorable mentions
12. Watch_Dogs = 62 points, 7 honorable mentions
13. Threes = 61 points, 4 honorable mentions
14. Fantasy Life = 59 points, 3 honorable mentions
15. 80 Days = 58 points, 2 honorable mentions
16. Monument Valley = 53 points, 5 honorable mentions
17. TowerFall Ascension = 52 points, 3 honorable mentions
18. This War of Mine = 51 points, 5 honorable mentions
19. Luftrausers = 50 points, 10 honorable mentions
20. Nidhogg = 49 points, 8 honorable mentions

High Quality Award
The top 20 games with at least 10 appearances, ranked by Average Points per Appearance (### = Average points per vote)

1. Bayonetta 2 (3.10137)
2. Dragon Age: Inquisition (2.898917)
3. Divinity: Original Sin (2.669291)
4. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (2.658823)
5. Love Live: School Idol Festival (2.636364)
6. Grand Theft Auto V (2.592592)
7. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (2.591463)
8. The Last of Us: Remastered (2.579439)
9. Dark Souls II (2.556738)
10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2.537594)
11. Alien: Isolation (2.532051)
12. Sunset Overdrive (2.524194)
13. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (2.466667)
14. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (2.442623)
15. Hexcells Infinite (2.4)
15. Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall (2.4)
17. Age of Wonders III (2.363636)
18. Legend of Grimrock 2 (2.333333)
18. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (2.333333)
20. The Last of Us: Left Behind (2.307692)

Seal of Quality Award
The top 10 publishers for the year, based on total number of points for all their titles.

1. Nintendo = 4439 points, 164 honorable mentions, 29 titles
2. Ubisoft = 1303 points, 73 honorable mentions, 16 titles
3. Sony = 1257 points, 101 honorable mentions, 21 titles
4. EA = 1201 points, 48 honorable mentions, 12 titles
5. Bethesda = 885 points, 39 honorable mentions, 3 titles
6. Bandai-Namco = 848 points, 22 honorable mentions, 18 titles
7. Blizzard = 632 points, 25 honorable mentions, 4 titles
8. Microsoft = 612 points, 32 honorable mentions, 11 titles
9. NIS America = 568 points, 23 honorable mentions, 10 titles
10. Konami = 565 points, 65 honorable mentions, 9 titles
11. Warner Bros. = 563 points, 26 honorable mentions, 4 titles
12. Yacht Club = 549 points, 14 honorable mentions, 1 title
13. Sega = 546 points, 31 honorable mentions, 12 titles
14. Square-Enix = 457 points, 45 honorable mentions, 19 titles
15. Activision = 456 points, 28 honorable mentions, 3 titles
16. Larian Studios = 339 points, 7 honorable mentions, 1 title
17. Supergiant = 279 points, 16 honorable mentions, 1 title
18. Telltale Games = 271 points, 25 honorable mentions, 3 titles
19. Take-Two = 210 points, 17 honorable mentions, 1 title
20. Atlus = 204 points, 17 honorable mentions, 8 titles

-------------------------
NeoGAF 2014 VOTER CENSUS

General Stats
Number of users: 1252
Number of ballots: 1084
Votes counted: 9030
Points awarded: 19349

Ballot length
10 titles - 635 (58.57933%)
9 titles - 88 (8.118081%)
8 titles - 62 (5.719557%)
7 titles - 50 (4.612546%)
6 titles - 49 (4.520295%)
5 titles - 90 (8.302583%)
4 titles - 37 (3.413284%)
3 titles - 29 (2.675277%)
2 titles - 19 (1.752768%)
1 title - 25 (2.306273%)

Exclusivity Data
The following data attempts to give a rough picture of how many ballots leaned heavily exclusive to one platform holder or another.
Data is presented as: % of ballots (raw number)

>= 50% Microsoft Exclusive: 0.1845018% (2)
>= 80% Microsoft Exclusive: 0% (0)
100% Microsoft Exclusive: 0% (0)

>= 50% Multi Exclusive: 65.40591% (709)
>= 80% Multi Exclusive: 20.20295% (219)
100% Multi Exclusive: 5.535055% (60)

>= 50% Nintendo Exclusive: 21.21771% (230)
>= 80% Nintendo Exclusive: 5.073801% (55)
100% Nintendo Exclusive: 2.02952% (22)

>= 50% PC Exclusive: 3.782288% (41)
>= 80% PC Exclusive: 0.7380074% (8)
100% PC Exclusive: 0.3690037% (4)

>= 50% Sony Exclusive: 3.321033% (36)
>= 80% Sony Exclusive: 0.4612546% (5)
100% Sony Exclusive: 0.3690037% (4)

% of ballots with at least one Microsoft exclusive: 2.093023% (189)
% of ballots with at least one Multi exclusive: 54.04208% (4880)
% of ballots with at least one Nintendo exclusive: 23.62126% (2133)
% of ballots with at least one PC exclusive: 8.438539% (762)
% of ballots with at least one Sony exclusive: 10.49834% (948)

Microsoft exclusive points allocated: 2.222337% (430)
Multi exclusive points allocated: 52.71074% (10199)
Nintendo exclusive points allocated: 25.44318% (4923)
PC exclusive points allocated: 8.083105% (1564)
Sony exclusive points allocated: 10.40881% (2014)

Digital Distribution Frequency
Data pertaining to the number of digitally distributed (download-only) titles were voted on.
Data is presented as % of ballots, (raw number)

Ballots containing at least one download-only title: 76.19926% (826)
Appearances of download-only titles: 21.70543% (1960)
Points allocated to download-only titles: 19.21546% (3718)

Tally Chart - Points Over Time

GOTY CENSUS TRENDS
B9DAPaC.png
SLB3RvD.png

kc7ffNs.png
MCxNWnB.png

k4VYKbo.png
IX7CBSE.png

0uN8RZz.png

----- FULL STATS -----
Full 2011-2014 Statistics Download Here, Including Affinity Data and Recommendations

Overall Rankings
Here are all of the titles that received at least 2 points.

1. [NWU] Bayonetta 2 (Action) = 1132 points, 12 honorable mentions
2. [NWU] Mario Kart 8 (Racing) = 925 points, 21 honorable mentions
3. [NWU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Fighting) = 850 points, 20 honorable mentions
4. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Dragon Age: Inquisition (RPG) = 803 points, 22 honorable mentions
5. [360][PS3][PC] Dark Souls II (RPG) = 721 points, 10 honorable mentions
6. [NWU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Platform) = 675 points, 16 honorable mentions
7. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Wolfenstein: The New Order (FPS) = 607 points, 19 honorable mentions
8. [360][PS3][PC] South Park: The Stick of Truth (RPG) = 564 points, 12 honorable mentions
9. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Action) = 559 points, 25 honorable mentions
10. [NWU][3DS][PC] Shovel Knight (Platform) = 549 points, 14 honorable mentions
11. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Alien: Isolation (Horror) = 395 points, 15 honorable mentions
12. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4] Destiny (FPS) = 344 points, 21 honorable mentions
13. [PS4] Infamous: Second Son (Action) = 342 points, 21 honorable mentions
14. [PC] Divinity: Original Sin (RPG) = 339 points, 7 honorable mentions
15. [XB1] Sunset Overdrive (Shooter) = 313 points, 11 honorable mentions
16. [PSV] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Adventure) = 298 points, 12 honorable mentions
17. [PS4][PC] Transistor (RPG) = 279 points, 16 honorable mentions
18. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] The Evil Within (Horror) = 278 points, 19 honorable mentions
19. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Far Cry 4 (FPS) = 255 points, 14 honorable mentions
20. [PS4] Driveclub (Racing) = 255 points, 7 honorable mentions
21. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Action) = 252 points, 33 honorable mentions
22. [PC][IOS][AND] Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Strategy) = 252 points, 8 honorable mentions
23. [360][XB1][PC] Titanfall (FPS) = 226 points, 13 honorable mentions
24. [PSV] Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Adventure) = 226 points, 6 honorable mentions
25. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (RPG) = 187 points, 9 honorable mentions
26. [PS3][PS4] The Last of Us: Left Behind (Adventure) = 180 points, 11 honorable mentions
27. [360][XB1] Forza Horizon 2 (Racing) = 169 points, 3 honorable mentions
28. [PS4] P.T. (Horror) = 168 points, 23 honorable mentions
29. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][PC][IOS][AND] The Wolf Among Us: Episodes 2-5 (Adventure) = 155 points, 11 honorable mentions
30. [NWU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Puzzle) = 152 points, 11 honorable mentions
31. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC][IOS][AND] Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Adventure) = 148 points, 13 honorable mentions
32. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Fighting) = 141 points, 15 honorable mentions
33. [3DS] Bravely Default (RPG) = 135 points, 12 honorable mentions
34. [XB1][PS4] Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (RPG) = 130 points, 6 honorable mentions
35. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (Strategy) = 129 points, 9 honorable mentions
36. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (RPG) = 128 points, 7 honorable mentions
37. [PC][IOS][AND] The Banner Saga (Strategy) = 124 points, 6 honorable mentions
38. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Child of Light (RPG) = 113 points, 12 honorable mentions
39. [NWU] Hyrule Warriors (Action) = 111 points, 10 honorable mentions
40. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][PC] The Walking Dead: Season Two: Episodes 2-5 (Adventure) = 107 points, 12 honorable mentions
41. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (FPS) = 102 points, 6 honorable mentions
42. [PSV][PS4] Velocity 2X (Shooter) = 102 points, 4 honorable mentions
43. [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (RPG) = 99 points, 8 honorable mentions
44. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (Rhythm) = 86 points, 7 honorable mentions
45. [PC][IOS][AND] Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall (RPG) = 84 points, 2 honorable mentions
46. [PC] Wasteland 2 (RPG) = 76 points, 8 honorable mentions
47. [3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Platform) = 71 points, 8 honorable mentions
48. [PC] Jazzpunk (Adventure) = 67 points, 3 honorable mentions
49. [XB1] D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (Adventure) = 63 points, 5 honorable mentions
50. [PC] World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor (MMO) = 63 points, 2 honorable mentions
51. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][NWU][PC] Watch_Dogs (Adventure) = 62 points, 7 honorable mentions
52. [PS3][PS4][ARC] Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (Fighting) = 62 points, 6 honorable mentions
53. [XB1][IOS][AND] Threes (Puzzle) = 61 points, 4 honorable mentions
54. [3DS] Fantasy Life (RPG) = 59 points, 3 honorable mentions
55. [3DS] Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Puzzle) = 58 points, 10 honorable mentions
56. [IOS] 80 Days (Adventure) = 58 points, 2 honorable mentions
57. [PC] Legend of Grimrock 2 (Adventure) = 56 points
58. [IOS][AND] Monument Valley (Puzzle) = 53 points, 5 honorable mentions
59. [PC] Might & Magic X: Legacy (RPG) = 52 points, 1 honorable mention
60. [PC] This War of Mine (Adventure) = 51 points, 5 honorable mentions
61. [PS3][PSV][PC] Luftrausers (Shooter) = 50 points, 10 honorable mentions
62. [PSV][PS4][PC] Nidhogg (Fighting) = 49 points, 8 honorable mentions
63. [XB1][PS4][PC] Assassin's Creed Unity (Adventure) = 46 points, 8 honorable mentions
64. [PS4] Infamous: First Light (Action) = 46 points, 5 honorable mentions
65. [PC] The Talos Principle (Puzzle) = 44 points, 2 honorable mentions
66. [PC] The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (Adventure) = 42 points, 3 honorable mentions
67. [360][PS3][PC] Ultra Street Fighter IV (Fighting) = 41 points, 6 honorable mentions
68. [PS3][PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd (Rhythm) = 40 points, 1 honorable mention
69. [PS3][PSV][PS4][PC] OlliOlli (Sports) = 36 points, 6 honorable mentions
70. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 (Sports) = 36 points, 2 honorable mentions
71. [360][PS3] Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (Fighting) = 35 points, 6 honorable mentions
72. [PS3][PSV][PS4] Hohokum (Puzzle) = 35 points, 3 honorable mentions
73. [PSV] Freedom Wars (Adventure) = 33 points, 6 honorable mentions
74. [360][PS3][PC] BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea: Episode 2 (FPS) = 33 points, 4 honorable mentions
75. [PC][IOS] Broken Age: Act 1 (Adventure) = 32 points, 8 honorable mentions
76. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Strider (Platform) = 32 points, 6 honorable mentions
77. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (Shooter) = 32 points, 2 honorable mentions
78. [PC] Kentucky Route Zero: Act III (Adventure) = 32 points
79. [PC] Civilization: Beyond Earth (Strategy) = 30 points, 4 honorable mentions
80. [PC] Endless Legend (Strategy) = 30 points, 4 honorable mentions
81. [360][PS3] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (RPG) = 30 points, 3 honorable mentions
82. [PS3][PS4] LittleBigPlanet 3 (Platform) = 30 points, 3 honorable mentions
83. [XB1][PS4][PC] Lords of the Fallen (Adventure) = 30 points, 2 honorable mentions
84. [IOS][AND] Hitman Go (Strategy) = 29 points, 3 honorable mentions
85. [IOS][AND] Love Live: School Idol Festival (Rhythm) = 29 points, 1 honorable mention
86. [PC] Banished (Simulation) = 27 points, 4 honorable mentions
87. [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky (RPG) = 27 points, 3 honorable mentions
88. [PC] Age of Wonders III (Strategy) = 26 points
89. [360][XB1][PS4][PC] Trials Fusion (Platform) = 25 points, 1 honorable mention
90. [PC] Hexcells Infinite (Puzzle) = 24 points, 1 honorable mention
91. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (RPG) = 23 points, 1 honorable mention
92. [PC] Crimzon Clover World Ignition (Shooter) = 23 points
93. [PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 (RPG) = 22 points, 4 honorable mentions
94. [PC] The Fall (Adventure) = 22 points, 3 honorable mentions
95. [PC][AND] Blackwell Epiphany (Adventure) = 22 points, 1 honorable mention
96. [3DS] Mario Golf: World Tour (Sports) = 21 points, 5 honorable mentions
97. [PS4][PC] Octodad: Dadliest Catch (Adventure) = 21 points, 1 honorable mention
98. [3DS] Tomodachi Life (Simulation) = 20 points, 4 honorable mentions
99. [PS3] Drakengard 3 (Adventure) = 20 points, 2 honorable mentions
100. [PSV] TxK (Shooter) = 20 points, 2 honorable mentions
101. [360][PS3][PC] Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! (FPS) = 20 points, 1 honorable mention
102. [PC][IOS][AND] Goat Simulator (Simulation) = 20 points
103. [360][PS3][PS4] Earth Defense Force 2025 (Shooter) = 19 points, 1 honorable mention
104. [PC] Elite: Dangerous (MMO) = 18 points
105. [PS3][PS4][PC] Sportsfriends (Sports) = 17 points, 4 honorable mentions
106. [XB1][PS4][PC] Never Alone (Puzzle) = 17 points, 4 honorable mentions
107. [360][XB1] Super Time Force (Shooter) = 16 points, 4 honorable mentions
108. [3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt (Action) = 16 points, 3 honorable mentions
109. [PC] FTL: Advanced Edition (Strategy) = 16 points, 1 honorable mention
110. [PC] Freedom Planet (Platform) = 16 points
111. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][WII][3DS][PC][IOS][AND][WP] FIFA 15 (Sports) = 16 points
112. [NWU] NES Remix 2 (Action) = 15 points, 3 honorable mentions
113. [360][PS3][PC] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (Action) = 15 points, 1 honorable mention
114. [XB1] Killer Instinct: Season 2 (Fighting) = 14 points, 3 honorable mentions
115. [PC] Marvel Heroes 2015 (MMO) = 14 points, 2 honorable mentions
116. [PSV] Tales of Hearts R (RPG) = 14 points, 1 honorable mention
117. [PSV] Ys: Memories of Celceta (RPG) = 14 points
118. [PSV][PS4] Pix the Cat (Action) = 13 points, 3 honorable mentions
119. [NWU] Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 1 (Racing) = 13 points, 2 honorable mentions
120. [3DS] Rusty's Real Deal Baseball (Sports) = 13 points, 2 honorable mentions
121. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments (Adventure) = 13 points, 1 honorable mention
122. [NWU] Pushmo World (Puzzle) = 13 points, 1 honorable mention
123. [3DS] Yoshi's New Island (Platform) = 13 points
124. [IOS][AND] Desert Golfing (Sports) = 12 points, 1 honorable mention
125. [360][PS3] Assassin's Creed Rogue (Adventure) = 12 points, 1 honorable mention
126. [360][XB1][PSV][PS4][NWU][3DS][PC] Aban Hawkins and the 1001 Spikes (Platform) = 12 points, 1 honorable mention
127. [PS4][PC] Escape Goat 2 (Puzzle) = 11 points, 3 honorable mentions
128. [PC] Lethal League (Fighting) = 11 points
129. [PC] Door Kickers (Strategy) = 11 points
130. [PSV][PS4] MLB 14: The Show (Sports) = 10 points, 5 honorable mentions
131. [PC] Xenonauts (Strategy) = 10 points, 1 honorable mention
132. [PS3][PC] Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey: Book One (Adventure) = 10 points, 1 honorable mention
133. [PC] Hexcells Plus (Puzzle) = 10 points, 1 honorable mention
134. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] The Legend of Korra (Action) = 10 points, 1 honorable mention
135. [XB1][PS4][PC] Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (Action) = 10 points
136. [PC] Dungeon of the Endless (Strategy) = 10 points
137. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC][IOS][AND] Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 1: Zer0 Sum (Adventure) = 9 points, 2 honorable mentions
138. [PSV] Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (Action) = 9 points, 2 honorable mentions
139. [PC] Europa Universalis IV: Art of War (Strategy) = 9 points, 1 honorable mention
140. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice Delta (Action) = 9 points, 1 honorable mention
141. [IOS][AND] Terra Battle (RPG) = 9 points, 1 honorable mention
142. [XB1][PS4][PC] Styx: Master of Shadows (Action) = 9 points, 1 honorable mention
143. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Thief (Action) = 9 points, 1 honorable mention
144. [PC] Betrayer (Adventure) = 9 points
144. [PS3][PSV][PS4] Natural Doctrine (Strategy) = 9 points
146. [XB1][PS4][PC] The Golf Club (Sports) = 8 points, 2 honorable mentions
147. [PC] The Jackbox Party Pack (Overall) = 8 points, 2 honorable mentions
148. [3DS] Nintendo Pocket Football Club (Sports) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
149. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Sniper Elite III (Shooter) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
150. [360][XB1] Fantasia: Music Evolved (Rhythm) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
151. [NWU] Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones (Platform) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
152. [IOS][AND] Kingdom Rush: Origins (Strategy) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
153. [NWU][3DS] Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (Platform) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
154. [PC] Fract OSC (Rhythm) = 7 points, 2 honorable mentions
155. [PC] Gods Will Be Watching (Adventure) = 7 points, 2 honorable mentions
156. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Murdered: Soul Suspect (Adventure) = 7 points, 2 honorable mentions
157. [PS3][PSV] Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star (RPG) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
158. [XB1][PS4][PC] Defense Grid 2 (Strategy) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
159. [PC] Insurgency (FPS) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
160. [PC][IOS][AND][WP] Five Nights at Freddy's (Horror) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
161. [PC] Wargame: Red Dragon (Strategy) = 7 points
162. [XB1][PC] Smite (Action) = 7 points
163. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (RPG) = 7 points
164. [360][PS3][PC] Risen 3: Titan Lords (Adventure) = 7 points
165. [PC][IOS] Kero Blaster (Platform) = 7 points
166. [PSV] Destiny of Spirits (Strategy) = 7 points
167. [PC] Lords of Xulima (RPG) = 7 points
168. [PSV][PS4][NWU] SteamWorld Dig (Platform) = 6 points, 3 honorable mentions
169. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4] Madden NFL 15 (Sports) = 6 points, 3 honorable mentions
170. [360][PS3][PC] Dark Souls II: The Lost Crowns (RPG) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
171. [PS3][PSV][PS4][PC] Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (Action) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
172. [PC] One Finger Death Punch (Fighting) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
173. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle (Fighting) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
174. [3DS] Rune Factory 4 (RPG) = 6 points
175. [PSV] Demon Gaze (RPG) = 6 points
176. [PS3][PSV][PS4] Samurai Warriors 4 (Action) = 6 points
177. [PC] BattleBlock Theater (Platform) = 6 points
178. [PC] The Sims 4 (Simulation) = 6 points
179. [PS3][PS4] Ryū ga Gotoku Ishin! (Action) = 5 points, 2 honorable mentions
180. [PC] Super Time Force Ultra (Shooter) = 5 points, 2 honorable mentions
181. [360][XB1][PS4][PC] The Crew (Racing) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
182. [PC] A Bird Story (RPG) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
183. [NWU] Art of Balance (Puzzle) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
184. [PS3][PSV][PS4][IOS][AND] CounterSpy (Platform) = 5 points, 1 honorable mention
185. [PS3][PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z (Strategy) = 5 points
185. [PS3] The Idolmaster One For All (Rhythm) = 5 points
187. [PC] WildStar (MMO) = 5 points
188. [360][PC] Tropico 5 (Strategy) = 5 points
189. [PC] Out of the Park Baseball 15 (Sports) = 5 points
190. [PC] Consortium (RPG) = 5 points
191. [PS4][PC] Mercenary Kings (Shooter) = 5 points
192. [3DS] Steel Diver: Sub Wars (Simulation) = 4 points, 3 honorable mentions
193. [XB1][PS3][PS4] Fibbage: The Hilarious Bluffing Party Game (Puzzle) = 4 points, 2 honorable mentions
194. [PC] One Way Heroics (RPG) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
195. [3DS] Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Action) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
196. [PC] Continue?9876543210 (Adventure) = 4 points
196. [PC] LISA (RPG) = 4 points
196. [AND] Summoners War (RPG) = 4 points
196. [PC] The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II (Adventure) = 4 points
200. [PS3] Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord (RPG) = 4 points
201. [PC] Ether One (Adventure) = 4 points
201. [XB1][PS4][PC] Pure Pool (Simulation) = 4 points
203. [PC] A Story About My Uncle (Platform) = 4 points
204. [PC] Dead State (RPG) = 4 points
204. [PC] Elminage Gothic (RPG) = 4 points
204. [PC] Lyne (Puzzle) = 4 points
204. [PC] NaissanceE (Horror) = 4 points
208. [XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][3DS] Puyo Puyo Tetris (Puzzle) = 4 points
208. [PC] Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure (Adventure) = 4 points
210. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC][IOS][AND] Game of Thrones: Episode 1: Iron From Ice (Adventure) = 4 points
211. [PC] Cloudbuilt (Action) = 4 points
212. [PC] Ziggurat (FPS) = 4 points
213. [PC][IOS][AND] Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse (Adventure) = 3 points, 4 honorable mentions
214. [PC] Lovely Planet (FPS) = 3 points, 3 honorable mentions
215. [PC] Spintires (Adventure) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
216. [PC] Gunhound EX (Action) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
217. [PC] Hexcells (Puzzle) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
218. [360][PS3][PC] Grid Autosport (Racing) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
219. [PS3] Ace Combat Infinity (Simulation) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
220. [NWU] NES Remix Pack (Action) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
220. [PC] The Dark Eye: Blackguards (Strategy) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
222. [PS3][PSV][PS4] Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (Adventure) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
223. [PSV] Murasaki Baby (Horror) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
224. [PSV] Hotaru no Nikki (Adventure) = 3 points
224. [PSV] Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (RPG) = 3 points
224. [PS3][PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki II (RPG) = 3 points
224. [PC][IOS] Year Walk (Adventure) = 3 points
228. [AND] Chain Chronicle (RPG) = 3 points
228. [PC] Coming Out on Top (Adventure) = 3 points
228. [360][PS3][PC] Don Bradman Cricket 14 (Sports) = 3 points
228. [PS3][PSV] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn (Action) = 3 points
228. [PC] Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (RPG) = 3 points
228. [PSV] Mind Zero (RPG) = 3 points
228. [PC] QP Shooting - Dangerous!! (Shooter) = 3 points
228. [3DS] Youkai Watch 2: Ganso/Honke (RPG) = 3 points
236. [XB1][PS4] EA Sports UFC (Fighting) = 3 points
237. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag: Freedom Cry (Adventure) = 3 points
237. [PSV] Don't Starve: Giants Edition (Adventure) = 3 points
237. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][3DS][PC][IOS] Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (Adventure) = 3 points
240. [PC] Roundabout (Adventure) = 3 points
240. [PS3][PS4][NWU] Teslagrad (Platform) = 3 points
242. [NWU] Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails (Action) = 3 points
243. [PS3][PSV] Deception IV: Blood Ties (Strategy) = 2 points, 3 honorable mentions
244. [PSV] Monster Monpiece (Strategy) = 2 points, 2 honorable mentions
245. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC][IOS][AND] NBA 2K15 (Sports) = 2 points, 2 honorable mentions
246. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (Puzzle) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
246. [IOS][AND] Sky Force 2014 (Shooter) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
246. [360][PS3][PC] Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (Action) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
249. [PSV] No Heroes Allowed: No Puzzles Either (Strategy) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
250. [PS3][PSV][PS4] Race the Sun (Platform) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
250. [PS3] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (RPG) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
250. [PC] The Long Dark (Simulation) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
253. [PS4][PC] Road Not Taken (Puzzle) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
254. [PC] Always Sometimes Monsters (RPG) = 2 points
254. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Battlefield 4: Final Stand (FPS) = 2 points
254. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl (RPG) = 2 points
254. [IOS][AND] Monument Valley: Forgotten Shores (Puzzle) = 2 points
254. [3DS] Picross e4 (Puzzle) = 2 points
254. [PC] Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet (Adventure) = 2 points
254. [PC] Town of Salem (Strategy) = 2 points
261. [PC] Blade Symphony (Action) = 2 points
261. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4] NHL 15 (Sports) = 2 points
261. [PSV] Project 575 (Rhythm) = 2 points
261. [IOS][AND] Pug Rapids (Action) = 2 points
261. [NES] Star Keeper (Shooter) = 2 points
261. [IOS][AND] Star Realms (Strategy) = 2 points
261. [PC] The Last Door: Collector's Edition (Adventure) = 2 points
261. [PC] Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms (Shooter) = 2 points
269. [PS3] Battle Princess of Arcadias (Adventure) = 2 points
269. [PC] Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies (Strategy) = 2 points
269. [PC][IOS][AND] December Problems (Puzzle) = 2 points
269. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories (Action) = 2 points
269. [PC] Momodora III (Action) = 2 points
269. [IOS][AND] Out There (Simulation) = 2 points
269. [3DS] Rabi Laby 3 (Puzzle) = 2 points
269. [PC] Silence of the Sleep (Adventure) = 2 points
269. [PC] Time Rifters (FPS) = 2 points
269. [360][PS3] Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium Duels (Strategy) = 2 points
279. [XB1][PC] Lifeless Planet (Puzzle) = 2 points
280. [PS3][PSV][NWU][3DS] One Piece: Unlimited World RED (Adventure) = 2 points
280. [PC] TRI: Of Friendship and Madness (Adventure) = 2 points
282. [PS3] Raiden IV: Overkill (Shooter) = 2 points
282. [PS3][PS4] Super Mega Baseball (Sports) = 2 points
284. [3DS] The Legend of Dark Witch (Action) = 2 points
284. [PC] Velvet Sundown (MMO) = 2 points

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Most deserved win in the geological history of the universe!

Tizoc

...Wait we had to also list console? Cuz I voted for Guilty Gear Xrd and I played the PS3 ver>_>;

Dat Wii U domination doe~

Enjoy the thread, guys! Great job voting. And check out the link to the data Cheesemeister provided -- there's a TON of it.

...Wait we had to also list console? Cuz I voted for Guilty Gear Xrd and I played the PS3 ver>_>;

Dat Wii U domination doe~

No, you didn't have to list the console. We put every platform it was eligible for down automatically.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Nintendo won. Now let's translate that to sales, everyone who hasn't done so go out and buy a Wii U Entertainment System with the Ninty games included in the top 10. You will not be disappointed it's the Alex guarantee ;)

KooopaKid

Banned
Ah ah I knew Bayonetta 2 would win it! And Dragon Age wasn't even close. Surprised Mario Kart 8 is second but it's totally deserved. Those 2 games are almost flawless.
NeoGAF Top 10 is once again very varied and respectable.
Thanks for all the good work cheese and timetokill!

Haunted

Downloading affinity list now for some shoutouts.

3 games of my top 10 made it into the overall top 20, solid ratio compared to usual.

AniHawk

this is the first time since 2007 that a game from a nintendo platform topped the list.

what i wasn't expecting were three more wii u exclusives in the top ten, two of them right after bayonetta 2. damn.

great job, timetokill and cheesemeister!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GAF's disgusting Platinum bias rears its head once again.

Tizoc

Enjoy the thread, guys! Great job voting. And check out the link to the data Cheesemeister provided -- there's a TON of it.

No, you didn't have to list the console. We put every platform it was eligible for down automatically.

Oh OK then, thanks heh.

Really bummed to see Freedom Planet had so little votes =/

Wow, congrats to Bayonetta and Nintendo in general.

Interesting that only one of my games made the top 10 (Dark Souls 2). Only 4 from my list made the top 20! Now I'm not sure if I just have different tastes from GAF, or if I'm actually missing some games I would enjoy.

Wolfenstein, Dvinity, and Mordor are on my list when sales come around. Sadly I was too early into TEW to consider it for my list, but so far its been fun.

The only game that I'm shocked didn't make the top 20 is Hearthstone. That game is super addicing and easy to get into. I could have sworn that I saw it on tons of people's lists. Strange.

Bgamer90

Banned
Very solid list. The results seem less predictable in comparison to previous years (at least from what I can remember).

Riposte

Is it too much to ask that the voting thread not be locked? I still need to edit my post as I intend to share it, link it, etc. Last year the thread wasn't closed for awhile after the results was posted.

Anyway, I'm glad Dark Souls II wasn't forgotten. It seemed like for awhile there it would be. Tropical Freeze being high is a surprise too, but that impression was more so from what the journos were picking.

This is the first time my GOTY was GAF's.

Hasney

Great winner and great year. Loved how it was not predictable at all.

Quite obvious what the GAF console of the year is.

vesvci

Banned
Wow, what a great list.

Biggest eye catcher for me is Sunset Overdrive beating Forza Horizon 2 for XBO GoTY. FH2 is soooooo much better IMO.

LOLDSFAN

Bayonetta 2 getting the credit it deserves.

Also I'm glad that everyone remembered Donkey Kong was a thing that came out in 2014. :p

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't know, all this did was bum me out about 2014.

Ubisoft taking number 2 for seal of quality is pretty funny though.

I-hate-u

Nintendo domination. Congrats to them.

I will never get the Platinum love on Gaf despite me being a huge action/hacknslash fan.

Top Bottom