• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2016 Awards

Footos22

On the basis of this thread, I'm giving Uncharted 4 a try. I'll probably beat it, which says something, since I don't always beat games. I also never played Uncharted 1-3 (whoops).

That said, I'm finding it to be a bit overrated.

Settings are beautiful, but everything is "go here, bad guys appear, shoot them, move on." There's no creativity so far. On chapter 9.

I also can't quite suspend my disbelief here. The game is ostensibly in the "real world" but...there are convenient hand/footholds at every uncrossable ravine? Nathan can go from "retired" to being able to leap from ledge to ledge in a matter of days? Hell, can anyone do that? Nathan can have huge shootouts across the world and there's no heat from governments/police/etc?

And the biggest of all...Nathan goes from playing Banjo Kazooie on his couch to gunning down 20 people over a couple of scenes. He's insane.

It's a video game. It would be boring if he didn't do those things. May as well be Firewatch for 10 hours.

Cutwolf

It's a video game. It would be boring if he didn't do those things. May as well be Firewatch for 10 hours.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the fun factor, but I think there's a disconnect between the story of the game (supposedly realistic albeit fantastical as most treasure hunting is, giving Nathan a back story with a real family etc) and the gameplay itself, which has you turn into a treasure hunting murderous member of the Avengers. You literally
sneak into an auction to steal something and murder dozens of security guards to do it
. The story it wants to tell seems better suited as a stealth puzzle platformer, not an action game. I'm enjoying those parts of the game way more than the shootouts.

Compare to Last of Us, for example, which lacked such a jarring disconnect between the story the game wants to tell and the way it has you play the game, even while Joel or Ellie were doing otherwise "superhuman" things.

When the story is meant to be grounded in reality, I think you either define the rules that lets Nathan defy reality, or end up with an uncomfortable disconnect.

Auctopus

This is a best effort, done on a volunteer basis.

For 2016, we counted about 1500 votes covering over 1400 spreadsheet entries. Many voters do not follow simple instructions. Some problematic cases always crop up in very large data sets. Tweaking the rules or massaging the data to clean up or accommodate non-conforming text or conflicting data opens up the possibility of other ballots' tabulation being influenced. I've tried to help people resolve their issues in cases where it wasn't likely to break other tabulation. Working out every single last issue produces diminishing returns in hours committed vs. the number of people still reading relatively tiny changes in the overall output.

The sheer volume of data processed requires a certain degree of automation. Doing everything manually to produce the statistics provided would take weeks of full-time work. There's simply no time.

For all the work put in, it's met with countless complaints about imperfect records of platform availability and genre assignments for the hundreds of games that could never humanly be played by anyone in a year, whining about the outcome, and very few offers to help.

I do apologize that it's not perfect, but hopefully it's satisfactory for the purposes of taking a deep dive into the collated data as a starting point for conversations about our favorite video games for the year, which is really the point anyway.

Please don't stop. I'm always appreciative and can't fathom the amount of work that goes in to it.

theres gotta be some peeps here salty yet another ps4 exclusive won gaf goty but when the competitions exclusives offerings are weak and lackluster thats just how the ball rolls. kudos to nd for a fantastic conclusion to drakes story.

Zolbrod

On the basis of this thread, I'm giving Uncharted 4 a try. I'll probably beat it, which says something, since I don't always beat games. I also never played Uncharted 1-3 (whoops).

Settings are beautiful, but everything is "go here, bad guys appear, shoot them, move on." There's no creativity so far. On chapter 9.

I also can't quite suspend my disbelief here. The game is ostensibly in the "real world" but...there are convenient hand/footholds at every uncrossable ravine? Nathan can go from "retired" to being able to leap from ledge to ledge in a matter of days? Hell, can anyone do that? Nathan can have huge shootouts across the world and there's no heat from governments/police/etc?

And the biggest of all...Nathan goes from playing Banjo Kazooie on his couch to gunning down 20 people over a couple of scenes. He's insane.

Uncharted 3 was even worse.
Nate goes from wandering through the desert without water for days, straight into a heated shoot-out with him jumping and climbing all over the place as usual.

It's a completely nonsensical series, and it's probably best enjoyed as such.

That said, yes, UC4 is hugely overrated; surprised to see it took first place, but also kind of not really surprised at all.

Also... Banjo Kazooie? Really? ;)

Cutwolf

Nate goes from wandering through the desert without water for days, straight into a heated shoot-out with him jumping and climbing all over the place as usual.

That said, yes, UC4 is hugely overrated; surprised to see it took first place, but also kind of not really surprised at all.

Ha! I was just talking to my wife about Banjo Kazooie because she's excited about Yooka Laylee. My bad. Crossed wires.

Koozek

H2sv8lh.gif

Melchiah

So, pretty much like Indiana Jones goes from class room to kill a bunch of nazis.

It's Crash

Why would you be surprised? It won the most critic awards as well and was the highest rated game on MC. It's a highly acclaimed gane that sold really well too. Not hard to see why it's well-liked and I say that as someone who didn't have the game in my top 5.

dracula_x

or maybe it's not. Your opinion is subjective, Metacritic score is not.

Dangansona
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228660671&postcount=2033
1. [XB1][PS4][PC] Doom (FPS) = 9 points -- Own it, gonna play
2. [XB1][PS4][PC] Dark Souls III (RPG) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention -- Don't care about Souls
3. [XB1][PS4][PC] Titanfall 2 (FPS) = 8 points -- Haven't finished, it's good though
4. [XB1][PS4][PC] Inside (Adventure) = 6 points, 3 honorable mentions -- Played, didn't do much for me in the end surprisingly
5. [XB1][PS4][PC] Hitman (Action) = 4 points -- Want to Play
6. [PS4][PC] Street Fighter V (Fighting) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention -- Good fighting game, still not crazy about the genre
7. [3DS] Pokémon Sun/Moon (RPG) = 3 points -- Don't give a crap about Pokemon until Game Freak shakes things up
8. [XB1][PS4][PC] Battlefield 1 (FPS) = 3 points -- nah
9. [XB1][PS4][PC] Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (RPG) = 2 points, 2 honorable mentions -- Loved the last one
10. [XB1][PS4][PC] Firewatch (Adventure) = 2 points, 2 honorable mentions -- Really want to play
11. [PSV][PS4] Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (RPG) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
12. [XB1][PS4][PC] Stardew Valley (Simulation) = 2 points
13. [XB1][PS4][PC] Hyper Light Drifter (Adventure) = 2 points
14. [PS4] Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (Adventure) = 2 points
15. [XB1][PS4][PC] Furi (Shooter) = 2 points

I know it's late but I wanted to do this now that I am home. Overall not bad, I feel like there are some more Japanese games that I missed though. Where is TMS?

Top Bottom