• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf GOTY Awards 2020 |OT| Results

Thanks Cormack for your work and thanks to the participants.

I'm just gonna have to play ghosts aren't I? Looks pretty ubiworld but I'm trusting u gaf

People are really missing out on Crusader Kings 3 and Wasteland 3.
Cyberpunk winning best RPG in a world where Wasteland 3 exists?

dafuq
Did wasteland by any chance get patched on consoles? I'm intrigued but I hear peasant's version has issues

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
4 of the top 5 are only on Playstation (FF7 is timed)

9 out of the 20 games are on Playstation

🔥

Fredrik

Good list but it seems hype alone got CP2077 on that list. Compared to the other games on the list I don't believe it deserves such a high mark.
Hype doesn’t help it any longer, the game has been out for a month. Unless you’re talking about having a big userbase? With tons of people playing it it’ll potentially get more votes than smaller releases, but that goes for any other big release, you have AC, FF7, TLOU, Ghost, etc enjoying the benefits of a bigger player base as well. But in the end it’s a popularity contest, more votes gets you higher, same rules for everyone.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Good list. Glad GoT won.

BTW, type of Tushima for Tsushima in the banner in the #1 spot.

My votes were:

1. Ghost of Tsushima
2. The Last of Us Part 2
3. Cyberpunk 2077
4. Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1
5. Hades
6. Animal Crossing New Horizons
7. Spider-man Miles Morales
8. Demon’s Souls
9. Super Mario 3D All Stars
10. Astrobot’s Playroom

Last edited:

driqe

No MS flight sim? Considering people were calling it the greatest looking game of all time and it's literally got the largest open world in a game ever (the literal world), I think it deserved a top twenty place.
While nothing on the market looks better than it IMO, it isn't a game.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I thought Cyberpunk 2077 was fine... But personally I don't know if it was SO deserving of the awards it received, lmao. I was genuinely shocked by all that, haha.

Stoked about GoT winning though. :D

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
fGt4kyg_d.webp

777e63db192c02857423317312bd2223.jpg

What a draught year for story driven SP players out there.

Didn't even remember death stranding coming out in 2020. That game got forgotten incredibly fast.

And holy shit there's a lot of Asian games on that list. A shame I can't stand the graphical design in them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cyberpunk winning best RPG in a world where Wasteland 3 exists?

dafuq

I guess I gotta go back and give Wasteland 3 another go. The first two hours of it did not really capture my attention at all.

Fredrik

#8 was my pick, glad it made the list. A perfect game 😭
I don’t think it’s perfect but it was on my top 3, easily on the top 10 list for the generation.

Best thing for me was that it growed on me, I started out liking it less than Blind Forest, hated the worm chase boss, but after some patches and the XSX version and 100-percenting the maps it ended as my favorite MS game ever. I usually go away from a game kinda bored but Ori peaked right when I had done all I set out to do.

And with that said, I’m concerned for real how MS will handle the IP when Moon does other things. :(
Will they start another Ori studio? Or will they end the Ori metroidvania and start some other Ori game instead? Or will they simply wait x years and hope Moon return to make another one?

OnionSnake

Banned
I don’t think it’s perfect but it was on my top 3, easily on the top 10 list for the generation.

Best thing for me was that it growed on me, I started out liking it less than Blind Forest, hated the worm chase boss, but after some patches and the XSX version and 100-percenting the maps it ended as my favorite MS game ever. I usually go away from a game kinda bored but Ori peaked right when I had done all I set out to do.

And with that said, I’m concerned for real how MS will handle the IP when Moon does other things. :(
Will they start another Ori studio? Or will they end the Ori metroidvania and start some other Ori game instead? Or will they simply wait x years and hope Moon return to make another one?
I think the Ori series is done. Moon is making a 3D game next if I understood their job listings properly, and that ending was pretty shut and close. I think I should clarify that it is a perfect game *with the exception of the desert worm boss which was irritating to no end.

So looking forward to what Moon does next. Blew me away this year with Blind Forest (waited a long time) and then Will of the Wisps. Cemented themselves among the greats already imo

devilNprada

Astro's playroom because it's free?

getting into LBP4... much better than Astro's playroom.. but quite a bit more expensive...

Mista

Banned
GoT beating TLOU2 shows I'm at the right place. Cheers, GAF!

I'll also use this post to share my top 10. I recommend anyone who has even the smallest interest in 13 Sentinels: Aegis War to check it out; it's a masterpiece in storytelling and it became one of my top 10 favourite games of all time.
p.png
What a damn great game. Its my second surprise of 2020 after Hades

Such a great game with tremendous storytelling!

Fredrik

I think the Ori series is done. Moon is making a 3D game next if I understood their job listings properly, and that ending was pretty shut and close. I think I should clarify that it is a perfect game *with the exception of the desert worm boss which was irritating to no end.

So looking forward to what Moon does next. Blew me away this year with Blind Forest (waited a long time) and then Will of the Wisps. Cemented themselves among the greats already imo
The ending actually left the door open with the leaf at the end, but I guess it would essentially be Ori’s child so they could have another title for another game, if they wanted

Anyway, who could realistically make another one if Moon don’t want to go there? It’s such a bittersweet situation for MS, they finally own a popular and critically acclaimed new IP that lots of gamers love, but they aren’t in control of it’s future.

Hudo

To be fair, both of them named Hades as their GOTY (as far as I know), so that's not really a bad thing tbh.
Well, it wasn't really meant as a criticism per se, It was just an observation that the lists that are usually the most scoffed at by "hardcore" "gamers" are still quite representative of what "hardcore" "gamers" actually play.

OnionSnake

Banned
The ending actually left the door open with the leaf at the end, but I guess it would essentially be Ori’s child so they could have another title for another game, if they wanted

Anyway, who could realistically make another one if Moon don’t want to go there? It’s such a bittersweet situation for MS, they finally own a popular and critically acclaimed new IP that lots of gamers love, but they aren’t in control of it’s future.
Must have missed that, not sure I would be super interested if it's not developed by Moon, however if a subsection of Moon wants to break off and keep working on Ori games I might be open to at least trying. But the way that game ended was really emotional and a good bookend for me at least.

GymWolf

fGt4kyg_d.webp

777e63db192c02857423317312bd2223.jpg

What a draught year for story driven SP players out there.

Didn't even remember death stranding coming out in 2020. That game got forgotten incredibly fast.

And holy shit there's a lot of Asian games on that list. A shame I can't stand the graphical design in them.
tsushima in third place for the story is even more hilarious imo.

At least tlou2 has state of the art digital acting even if the story and chara are mediocre, tsushima doesn't even have that...

sobaka770

Banned
The silent community strikes with TLOU2 winning best story, damn.
I kind of understand that Ghost would claim top as it's less controversial but is it a more important game than TLOU2 - I am not sure, it's a good combination of open-world mechanics in a new setting but 4 years from now would stand out like Cyberpunk or TLOU2?

Last edited:

Fredrik

Must have missed that, not sure I would be super interested if it's not developed by Moon, however if a subsection of Moon wants to break off and keep working on Ori games I might be open to at least trying. But the way that game ended was really emotional and a good bookend for me at least.
No kidding, my daughter (8) could barely stop crying, had to replay the ending and explain everything including that bit before she could even talk again. They’re masters of story telling. Whatever they’re doing, on whatever platform, I’ll be there day 1, yes even if it’s a Stadia timed exclusive lol

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
How is Assassin's Creed Valhalla not in the top 3 for best graphics? I have a 4K tv with an XSX and Valhalla is miles better than LOU2 and Cyberpunk. Never played Demon Souls. It is by far the best looking game I have played. Maybe not enough people played it in 4K?

Cyberbugshitfest should not be in the list at ALL ! Not even for graphics !
I briefly played it using a mate's rig and it was pretty mind-blowing to me. I can see why people who have a proper PC (which would be quite a lot considering we are in a hardcore gaming forum) enjoyed it a lot.

In my case, I'm not a huge PC gamer, so I can't wait to give it a proper go once the PS5 patch comes out and it runs properly on consoles.

Moogle11

Banned
I briefly played it using a mate's rig and it was pretty mind-blowing to me. I can see why people who have a proper PC (which would be quite a lot considering we are in a hardcore gaming forum) enjoyed it a lot.

In my case, I'm not a huge PC gamer, so I can't wait to give it a proper go once the PS5 patch comes out and it runs properly on consoles.

It's damn solid on Xbox Series X too. I had the PS4 version preordered to play on PS5. Glad I opted to cancel and wait for reviews/impressions. Only had 2 crashes in 64 hours or so of playing vs. a buddy that had 50 some on PS5.

Mozzarella

I didnt expect Cyberpunk 2077 to be in the overall top 3 but i expected it to be in the top 10.
The Last of Us 2 winning best story is baffling me, the writing in that game wasn't worthy of winning best story even if 2020 is also not a good game for game stories. There is flaws upon flaws in the writing on that game. One quick one out of my head is:
You have Ellie killing people who didnt do anything bad to her without any feeling of regret or compassion, just straight up murdering them and she never felt bad for any of this, yet at the end of the game she cannot kill the one character who killed her father figure because revenge is bad? she suddenly changed at a moment that i call is character inconsistency and a clear asspull made just for the plot twist shock factor, a thing poor writing tends to use to make the viewer interested with its narrative since the story without those cheap tricks is mediocre, this also happen with emotional manipulation in stories, overly dramatic death scene or any melodrama inserted without good foundation just to make the story sad and to make the viewer get them feelz. This is just one flaw of her character inconsistencies, i can dig much more, AngryJoe already showed some. For this kind of quality writing, winning best writing is baffling especially after previous year TGA gave the award to a greatly written game called Disco Elysium. What a step down. WOW

Also i think the contest was missing best art direction?
Ori didnt win best platformer?
Hades only 7th?
Elden Ring not most anticipated?
All these are unexpected results for me.

Cyberpunk winning best RPG invalidates the entire thing imo.
Both Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Cyberpunk 2077 and even Demon Souls are just action/adventure games, or action rpgs.
This is becoming a confusion in the gaming community, actual rpgs are being included with action rpgs and those action ones are more mainstream because they are more action. The actual rpgs like Wasteland or Divinity will benefit a lot more if this genre gets separated.
in 2018 TGA Monster Hunter got a best RPG, when a game like Kingdom Come exists, its just a big mistake, TGA should put arpg and rpg in different category.

Last edited:
Top Bottom