• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Greatest Superhero Movies of All Time - Vol. 2 (March 2017) - Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

CLOSED

1fBsiIF.png

March 2015 poll: voting and results

Rules:
- List a minimum of five and maximum of ten of your top superhero movies.
- This poll covers superhero movies released before January 1, 2017. That means The Lego Batman Movie and The Logan Old Man Movie are not eligible this time around.
- Number lists in order from #1 to #10. 10 points go to your #1 choice, 9 points to #2, etc. Lists without numbering won't count.
- Feel free to supplement rankings with thoughts on your choices, honorable mentions, etc. as long as your movie titles and rankings stand out (bolding/underlining).
- Make only one list. You may edit your list until voting ends (will leave this open for a week or two, depending on when new entries dry up).

Reminder: not all movies based on comic books are superhero movies (Monkeybone), and not all superhero movies are necessarily based on comic books (Condorman).

Be nice and respectful of other people's lists. After voting finishes I'll create a new thread to share and discuss the results.

Some resources:
Superhero movies, ranked (io9)
The 100 Best Superhero Movies of All Time (Paste)
List of all superhero movies

Regarding that last link, generally movies with a 'C' (non-superhero comic) would be ineligible here. However, that site's classifications aren't sacrosanct and opinions on whether some movies fit in the superhero genre will vary. My view is the results should/will ultimately reflect NeoGAF's consensus. That includes scenarios in which half of you think something like Mr. Magoo is a superhero movie.

Putting Scott Pilgrim aside, this is my quick and dirty Top 10 list of favorite superhero films :)

10. Captain America: The First Avenger
9. Chronicle
8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
7. Batman Returns
6. V For Vendetta
5. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Suicide Squad
3. Watchmen
2. The Incredibles
1. The Dark Knight

Oh SHIT, it has RETURNED.

I'll put it out there:

Robocop
Judge Dredd
The Punisher
the Terminator
The Transformers
Scott Pilgrim

Are not superheroes.

Hellboy
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

are.

Burbeting

Banned
FYI: I have watched very little from MCU, and what I've seen has ranged from "alright" to "garbage".

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spiderman 2
3. The Incredibles
4. Batman (1989)
5. Batman Returns
6. Big Hero 6
7. Spiderman
8. X-Men
9. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Batman Begins

Permanently A

10. Guardians of the Galaxy
9. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
8. Avengers
7. Iron Man
6. Sky High
5. The Dark Knight
4. Spiderman 2
3. The Incredibles
2. Deadpool
1. Captain America - Winter Soldier

Oh shit. This will probably change until the due date.

1. Batman Begins
2. Iron Man
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. Deadpool
6. X2: X-Men United
7. Spider-Man 2
8. The Dark Knight
9. Batman 89
10. The Avengers

Honorable Mentions
Superman (1978)
Watchmen
Guardians of the Galaxy
Blade

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
1. The Incredibles
2. The Dark Knight
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. The Avengers
5. Spider-Man 2
6. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
7. Captain America: Civil War
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
9. Iron Man
10. Batman Begins

Iron Man and Batman Begins are basically interchangeable as nearly perfect introductions to those characters.

This list may change, because I'm about to do a rewatch of the old Superman movies, which might fit in there. I might throw the original Spider-Man or one of the X-Men movies in there as well.

Civil War might move down slightly, I haven't decided.

Tambini

1. Spider-Man 2
2. The Incredibles
3. The Dark Knight
4. Spider-Man
5. X-Men 2
6. Batman Begins
7. X-Men: Days of Future Past
8. Iron Man
9. X-Men
10. The Avengers

I haven't seen a lot of the newer Marvel films

Jigorath

Banned
1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. The Incredibles
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. X-Men: First Class
6. Watchmen
7. X2: X-Men United
8. Iron Man 3
9. Batman Returns
10. Deadpool

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Incredibles
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
5. Batman Begins
6. X2: X-Men United
7. Spider-Man
8. X-Men: Days of Future Past
9. Watchmen
10. Deadpool

Penguin

I feel like the Punisher is a non-superhero stuck in the Marvel universe.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

I mean he isn't a hero, anti-hero at best, but I feel like the movies do try to make him a bit more of a hero/action hero... Granted none of them would hit my Top 10

1- The Dark Knight
2- The Dark Knight Rises
3- Batman Begins
4- Hulk (2003)
5- Spiderman 2
6- Superman
7- Batman Returns
8 -Batman (1989)
9 - Flash Gordon
10 - Hellboy 2

Curious why not The Punisher or Judge Dredd?

Neither of them are at all heroic, in the first place. Neither are superpowered. Neither are performing good deeds for the public's benefit, or out of a sense of personal responsibility to friends/family/community as a means to make the world a better place.

They're both murderous sociopaths adhering to a ridiculous code for the sake of adhering to it, not because it actually makes anything better. Dredd is a nihilistic satire of fascism, and Punisher is a non-powered anti-hero, at best. It seems to be completely missing the point of Dredd to even want to consider him a superhero, really.

In Punisher's case, it wouldn't even matter if he was a superhero because none of his movies are fucking good.

How about Matrix?

I don't think the Matrix could be considered a Superhero movie because Neo isn't actually a superhero in that film, he's just a guy who knows how to manipulate computer code to make his online avatar behave like a superhero.

Same way The Iron Giant isn't a superhero movie, it's a movie that uses an audience's knowledge of a superhero as shorthand for its own take on themes of heroism and personal responsibility.

1. Blade 2
2. Batman Returns
3. Hellboy II The Dark World
4. The Dark Knight
5. Spiderman 2
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (Unless expressly forbidden by Bobby Roberts)
8. Darkman
9. Super
10. Flash Gordon

Saya

1. Spider-Man 2
2. The Dark Knight
3. Superman
4. Batman Begins
5. Spider-Man 3
6. Batman 89
7. The Incredibles
8. The Avengers
9. Batman Returns
10. Constantine

1. The Shadow

2. Superman

3. The Rocketeer

4. The Powerpuff Girls Movie

5. Batman Begins

6. The Dark Knight

7. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

8. Darkman

9. Spider-Man

10. Captain America: The First Avenger

Runners-up

The Incredibles

Blade

Guardians of the Galaxy

I knocked The Incredibles off my original list because it's an incredibly sexist Dad movie, and Spider-Man 2 went away because I don't like that movie's Doc Ock anymore.

IconGrist

Oh shit, my Top 10 seems to change daily so here's a shot at something more definitive for myself.

10. Superman: The Movie
9. Watchmen (Director's Cut)
8. Batman Returns
7. Man of Steel
6. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Cut)
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Blade
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
2. Mystery Men
1. V for Vendetta

Edit: I'd like to point out this list is based on my personal entertainment and rewatchability value. My Top 10 list based on more objective values would look quite different.

7. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (Unless expressly forbidden by Bobby Roberts)

I would disallow it, but I don't think it's going to matter much as I doubt it'll get more than this one vote.

(it's a great idea lost in a confused, rushed, weird little movie. I had a lot of fun with it last time I watched it, though)

1. V for Vendetta

I think V would just barely make the cut, though. I probably would have argued against this in the past, but I can see an argument convincing enough (secret identity, costume, victim of experimentation, fighting for the greater good, etc.)

Leave it to Alan Moore to come up with an ANARCHIC SUPERHERO, I guess.

Strax

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Incredibles
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Batman Begins
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. X-Men: First Class
7. Captain America: The First Avenger

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
1. Batman
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. The Avengers
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. Spider-Man 2
6. Captain America: The First Avenger
7. Iron Man 3
8. Avengers: Age of Ultron
9. X-Men: Days of Future Past
10. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Vanish

Here's my expertly crafted opinion after watching 95% of all superhero movies.

1) Captain America: Civil War (the reigning supreme champ)
2) Guardians of the Galaxy
3) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4) Avengers
5) The Dark Knight
6) Avengers: Age of Ultron
7) Batman: Under the Red Hood
8) Batman Mask of the Phantasm
9) The Amazing Spider-Man 2
10) Deadpool

Might have to change the order of the bottom half later.

Does Kick-Ass count? Cause I loved that movie (NOT the 2nd one!)

Does Kick-Ass count? Cause I loved that movie (NOT the 2nd one!)

I'd count Kick-Ass because everything about it is a riff on/response to all the trappings of superhero storytelling. If Batman counts (and he counts, despite not having powers) then Kick-Ass counts because it's a movie about a bunch of people basically trying as hard as they can to be variations on Batmans.

kswiston

Some of these are probably coming with a nostalgia bias, since my last viewing of a few of them was 10-15 years ago.

1) The Dark Knight
2) Spider-Man 2
3) The Incredibles
4) Batman 1989
5) Iron Man
6) Batman Begins
6) The Winter Soldier
7) The Avengers
8) Days of Future Past
9) Guardians of the Galaxy
10) X2: X-Men United

I'm pretty happy with my top 3. The Bottom half of the list would probably change if you asked me in a month. I considered adding Deadpool, Civil War, and The Dark Knight Rises, but I think I like some of the other films in those franchises more.

EDIT: I see now that Logan is ineligible, so seeing it before the voting cutoff doesn't matter.

Sephzilla

1- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
2- Batman Begins
3- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4- The Dark Knight
5- Iron Man
6- Superman: The Movie
7- Blade
8- Spider-Man
9- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
10- Captain America: The First Avenger

Honorable Mentions:
The Avengers
Batman 89
The Rocketeer
Guardians of the Galaxy
Dredd (DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO BOBBY)
RoboCop (I SAID DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO BOBBY!)

Pachimari

1. Spider-Man
2. Batman Begins
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Watchmen

Honestly , I need to rewatch a bunch of movies cause I don't remember them.

Oersted

Neither of them are at all heroic, in the first place. Neither are superpowered. Neither are performing good deeds for the public's benefit, or out of a sense of personal responsibility to friends/family/community as a means to make the world a better place.

They're both murderous sociopaths adhering to a ridiculous code for the sake of adhering to it, not because it actually makes anything better. Dredd is a nihilistic satire of fascism, and Punisher is a non-powered anti-hero, at best. It seems to be completely missing the point of Dredd to even want to consider him a superhero, really.

In Punisher's case, it wouldn't even matter if he was a superhero because none of his movies are fucking good.

I don't think the Matrix could be considered a Superhero movie because Neo isn't actually a superhero in that film, he's just a guy who knows how to manipulate computer code to make his online avatar behave like a superhero.

Same way The Iron Giant isn't a superhero movie, it's a movie that uses an audience's knowledge of a superhero as shorthand for its own take on themes of heroism and personal responsibility.

That feels random and sort of ignores how central the Matrix is to the Matrix movie. You save lives for real, you die for real. But following that logic, only 2 and 3 count?

error4041

1. The Dark Knight
2. Captain America Winter Soldier
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Ant-Man
5. Captain America: Civil War
6. Iron Man
7. The Avengers
8. Batman Begins
9. Dr. Strange
10. Big Hero Six

Their is a huge lean towards the MCU because there are a lot of movies I haven't watched outside of it.

1) Batman 89
2) The Crow (1994)
3) Batman V Superman: Ultimate Cut
4) Man of Steel
5) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
6) Spiderman 2
7) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
8) Watchmen
9) X-Men: First Class
10) Blade

That feels random and sort of ignores how central the Matrix is to the Matrix movie. You save lives for real, you die fo real. But following that logic, only 2 and 3 count?

I think you could make the argument that in 3, Neo becomes some sort of superhero? Maybe. But I can't see anyone actually voting to put Matrix Revolutions on a list of the 10 best superhero films ever made, either, so it's kinda moot.

The problem is that at some point, because of the inherent nature of almost all superhero stories being sci-fi stories at their core, once you go looking in other sci-fi stories for superhero signifiers, you can (and will) find them a lot of the time. That doesn't necessarily make those sci-fi stories superhero tales.

I don't think The Matrix is a superhero movie, or that Neo is a superhero. Save for the last shot of the film, the aesthetic the Wachowskis seem to be going for more than anything is kung-fu/anime-styled action, not superheroics.

moai

1.) the dark knight.
2.) captain america: winter soldier
3.) iron man
4) blade
5). superman (1978)
6.) deadpool
7) guardians of the galaxy.
8) spiderman (2002)
9) avengers
10) batman begins.

kswiston

The problem is that at some point, because of the inherent nature of almost all superhero stories being sci-fi stories at their core, once you go looking in other sci-fi stories for superhero signifiers, you can (and will) find them a lot of the time. That doesn't necessarily make those sci-fi stories superhero tales.

Pretty much. Look at the Fifth Element for example.

EDIT: Or Lucy by the same director.

GamerJM

Banned
1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. the Avengers
3. the Incredibles
4. Batman Begins
5. Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
6. Iron Man
7. The Amazing Spider-Man
8. Deadpool
9. Captain America: Civil War
10. X-Men: First Class

I realize this looks like a lot of recency bias, but the older movies like 1976 Superman and 1989 Batman just barely missed the cut. Those would definitely be in my honorable mentions along with Captain America: The First Avenger and the Dark Knight.

Chronicle would make my list (probably right at number 10), but I don't think it counts. I don't really have any justification for that other than "It didn't feel like a superhero movie to me," though.

My top 3 is pretty close, then there's a gap, and then everything below that (including the honorable mentions) are all extremely close in quality to me, and the order is a little arbitrary.

Raptor

1 - MoS
2 - Watchmen
3 - Spiderman 2
4 - Hellboy
5 - Hellboy 2
6 - Blade 2
7 - Blade 1
8 - Batman Begins
9 - The Dark Night
10 - GoTG

Ninjimbo

1. Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice UC
2. The Dark Knight
3. Watchmen
4. Man of Steel
5. Batman Begins
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. X2: X Men United
8. The Incredibles
9. Batman Returns
10. V For Vendetta

Nolan and Snyder pretty much own my list. The only guys taking this subgenre into meaningful places. If it was stuff based on graphic novels it would be a much different list and I don't know if Scott Pilgrim qualifies. Then there's stuff like Kingsman, Kick Ass and Unbreakable of which I'm not sure where they fall. I barely think of V as a superhero film since it's so different like Watchmen. The structure of the story and the design of the protagonist makes it seem like it fits.

Okay, I think I've got it:

Quicksilver.gif

10) X-Men: Days of Future Past

locker-room-o.gif

9) Hellboy II

tumblr_m8mqmpexfD1qeogr5o2_r1_500.gif

8) Blade II

WkVi6xe.gif

7) Captain America: The Winter Soldier

karpA.gif

6) Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

tumblr_nk91rjF2z31u8hcaoo1_500.gif

5) Captain America: The First Avenger

tumblr_m7brutoo7E1rn6iyqo3_500.gif

4) Spider-Man 2

(if LOGAN were allowed to be ranked, this is where LOGAN would go)

8b092c3598a35c8fd0493dc1c51cb3ef.jpg

3) Superman: The Movie

tumblr_n6od0bWqro1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

2) The Dark Knight

tumblr_lvhzcl3Ydy1r74uw7o2_500.gif

1) The Incredibles

Some interesting changes from my last list. Top 4 stayed the same. Logan WOULD be #4, but it's ineligible. X2 dropped off completely, while DoFP moved up. The first Cap moved ahead of the 2nd one. Watchmen fell off entirely. Still don't consider Guardians to be a superhero movie, although it's spun out of a Superhero series, and will merge back into that superhero series before all is said and done, so for 99.99% of the world it will count. If I counted it, it would slot between Cap 1 and Mask of the Phantasm. Unbreakable would be #11.

hiredhand

1. The Incredibles
2. The Dark Knight
3. Superman: The Movie
4. Spider-Man 2
5. Hellboy 2
6. Iron Man
7. V For Vendetta
8. Batman Returns
9. X-Men: Days of Future Past
10. They Call Me Jeeg Robot

I considered voting for Mario Bava's Danger: Diabolik but I don't think it quite counts as a superhero film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom