• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF is literally not usable for me without AdBlock anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
I thought this would be about gifs.

There was one that took forever to load, I looked up the image info and it was almost 100mb, are you fucking serious?

DOAX3 reveal threads are full of these (well, not 100mb ones), and I have to wonder why. I JUST WATCHED THE FUCKING VIDEO IN OP, YOU DON'T NEED TO REPOST IT IN A TERRIBLE IMAGE FORMAT.

And then the reaction gifs, you could just write that, I don't care about your favorite series. Most of the time I don't even recognize where they are from.

The shit is, I can't click on images to view them fullsize until everything on the page loads.

Anyone who browses GAF with gifs enabled needs to seriously question themselves. Do you really need to see the laughing sportsmen or the drowning pinnochio for the zillionth time?

But omg I get the Wotif ad with audio and the ad plays at the top of my screen AND at the bottom simultaneously and the audio starts to phase and oh god I hate mobile ads.

studyguy

I've had issues browsing on mobile recently through here, don't know what it is but my mobile browser starts locking up on occasion when going through these pages seemingly at random. I don't adblock on my phone so it's getting to be a pain in the ass, can't even tell what ad it is since it won't load properly.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just had the same ad freeze me twice. But I didn't have my Web Inspector opened. Figures. I just want to see if I can use the Inspector when the ad is frozen and see if I can diagnose the problem so Evilore can report it.

ebil

I've been having many redirects as well on my Android phone (using Chrome) recently. It has easily been happening 3-4 times a day for the past week.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I haven't had any issues at all with the mobile site on my Android/Chrome. Weird.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay yeah, this is getting out of hand. The freezing ad is showing up more and more and making the desktop site virtually unusable. I can't diagnose what it is because even if I have the Web Inspector open it freezes too and doesn't really help at all. Whatever it's doing, it's not doing it properly and is just breaking my browser and the site.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Do you guys use iphones or something? I've only had a smartphone for about 2 years, but I never get this malicious ads..

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Do you guys use iphones or something? I've only had a smartphone for about 2 years, but I never get this malicious ads..
The problems on smartphones are different from the ones we have on the desktop site. On mobile I get occasional, veery occasional redirects. But lately on desktop I've been getting an ad that kills the tab completely, sometimes so much that I have to quit the browser because the tab refuses to end its process.

BHK3

Banned
Is there such a thing as adblock for android phones? All I see is ad free -browers- but nothing thats like an extension for chrome. There was some adfree program I downloaded and it wouldnt work cause I didnt have a rooted phone which is far beyond my knowledge of phones.

Amon37

That viglink was fucking hijacking everyone of my links on mobile all of a sudden. I had to to go to their site and disable it. I couldn't long press any YouTube videos to open them in the app because every link had http://api.viglink.com in front of it.

ElFly

Is there such a thing as adblock for android phones? All I see is ad free -browers- but nothing thats like an extension for chrome. There was some adfree program I downloaded and it wouldnt work cause I didnt have a rooted phone which is far beyond my knowledge of phones.

Firefox on android supports ublock oriigin or adblock. One of them.

e: misread. You gotta root your phone for that.

e2: really? I should look into it

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How do you opt out? I can't find a link on their website. And the link posted above is an API link that doesn't work. So I went to www.viglink.com and don't see an option.

I really want to see if it fixes my freezing. I hate having ads off because I still want to support the site, but my problems with that one stupid ad have forced my hand today.

Does opting out of viglink hurt the sites revenue?

How do you opt out? I can't find a link on their website. And the link posted above is an API link that doesn't work. So I went to www.viglink.com and don't see an option.

I really want to see if it fixes my freezing. I hate having ads off because I still want to support the site, but my problems with that one stupid ad have forced my hand today.

http://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

It's on the bottom bar of the page.

oes opting out of viglink hurt the sites revenue?

It probably does. I suspect the Viglink stuff was a side-effect of them switching over to SSL today, and not directly related to the malicious ads that have been popping up lately.

saunderez

That viglink was fucking hijacking everyone of my links on mobile all of a sudden. I had to to go to their site and disable it. I couldn't long press any YouTube videos to open them in the app because every link had http://api.viglink.com in front of it.
Viglink is fucking terrible. First thing I do on a new PC/browser is opt out of that shit. Link hijacking is bullshit.

Coreda

I suspect the Viglink stuff was a side-effect of them switching over to SSL today, and not directly related to the malicious ads that have been popping up lately.

Various links have been redirected through Viglink for over a year now, it's not a new change fwiw, though it may be more frequent I'm not sure.

Various links have been redirected through Viglink for over a year now, it's not a new change fwiw, though it may be more frequent I'm not sure.

Right, but I meant that the SSL changes might've caused it to behave differently at the time, especially on mobile.

Rahvar

So, is this a region thing?
I don't use adblockers and I'm on GAF from my android phone and various computers with various browsers every day.
I see small ad banners at the top and bottom of pages but nothing else, never a pop-up.
I've gotten them from other sites but never GAF.

I'm being automatically redirected to a site, I'm guessing for a malware, about half the pages I'm visiting on mobile, it's terrible.

Code:
Site: hxxp://paly.google.com.store.apps.siteadvisor.club/5MBivfkif2mmhxluoImYurMuwz/pl/#

Ditto, googled looking for some info and ironically the malware bytes blog sent me here referencing people complaining about it.
https://blog.malwarebytes.org/online-security/2016/03/your-android-is-expired/

Get it via gamefaqs too and a few other sites. Makes phone vibrate too. Super annoying.

Did some poking around virustotal and the like (I do IT security for a living these days)... page itself doesn't seem malicious at a glance. Had me a bit paranoid since my Note 5 is quite a few Android versions back.

ASTROID2

I just got this a couple days ago while on gaf.
img_0175qnsst.png

GaimeGuy

You guys need to say what browser, phone, os, and provider you're using. I never get these ads.

jstripes

Banned
If this malware distributed by ads thing doesn't get under control soon, every site that depends on ad money is fucking doomed. More and more people are learning about ad blockers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You guys need to say what browser, phone, os, and provider you're using. I never get these ads.
Depends. On mobile, that Verizon redirect ad shit happens on my iPhone and other peoples iPhones and Android phones. It doesn't matter. I'm not even on Verizon. I'm not even on Sprint and I've gotten Sprint redirects too. This one is thankfully rare for me. But it happens.

And on desktop, I'm on Safari and I get a certain ad for something I don't know what it is will freeze the tab before the ad even finishes loading. Sometimes its green. Sometimes blue. But it always has a circular "waiting" icon in the middle. Not animating because it's frozen. Every time I turn off Adblock thinking it's gone, it comes back stronger than before. I've tried figuring out who it's for but dissecting an ad is like trying to eat the sun. It's impossible. There's too many obfuscated URLs and resources and you can't tell who is who. Plus since it freezes the tab, it freezes the Web Inspector panel too.

GaimeGuy

Well, my popup blocker is going nuts on GAF for the last 30 minutes. Blocking 25 popups a page in the NBA thread

Tablet got a redirect today (showed a Mobile Strike banner in the interim, I think), to bullcrap about "Your Android is out of date". Hard to back out of. At this point actual GAF Gold is sounding pretty good.

Shiggy

Did anything happen recently? For me there are no ads shown at all anymore, only blank areas. No ad blocker installed on my phone.

kavanf1

Interesting that no red names have posted in this thread. Would be good to get some feedback on how this is being handled (or not).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have been anti-AdBlock forever. I'm getting the content free, I have to look at ads. That's the way it works.

However, that has recently changed.

Now, I have AdBlock running default off for all pages. If I ever come across a site that does that "make entire page darker and non-interactable while we try load a full-screen ad that takes 20 seconds" I immediately enable it.

And on pages that do any sort of text-pushing. If I'm reading something and then for some reason the text starts getting pushed down the page it sends me into a rage.

As for mobile GAF on my phone, I started getting app store redirects about a year or two ago. They seem to come in waves... like I'll get 5-10 of them in a couple days, then nothing for months. I just deal with it, as I'm assuming the mods take care of it as they do stop after a couple days.

Rembrandt

Banned
Occasionally I'll be browsing a thread on mobile and then suddenly it'll redirect to a fake security page trying to get me to download some obvious virus from the app store. It just happened in the play anywhere OT on the gaming side.

It doesn't happen all the time but more times than I like and it only happens here.

Carcetti

My only problems are on mobile side. I use a temporary Lumia phone to browse and the bottom of the page ads make it really hard to read the end of threads and skip to the next page. It's partly because the Lumia browser is so terrible and the phone is an ergonomic nightmare.

I carry an s6/iphone for personal/work and on the s6 I get these annoying ass redirects and general weirdness but on iphone it's perfectly fine. On desktop/chromebook I get no issues, I think.

KDR_11k

Anyone who browses GAF with gifs enabled needs to seriously question themselves. Do you really need to see the laughing sportsmen or the drowning pinnochio for the zillionth time?

But omg I get the Wotif ad with audio and the ad plays at the top of my screen AND at the bottom simultaneously and the audio starts to phase and oh god I hate mobile ads.

How can I disable GIFs on my Android phone? That would save a ton of bandwidth.

Rembrandt

Banned
I carry an s6/iphone for personal/work and on the s6 I get these annoying ass redirects and general weirdness but on iphone it's perfectly fine. On desktop/chromebook I get no issues, I think.

It may just be an android issue then because it only happens on my phone. Its annoying

And its hard to report because idk what fucking ad did it or what's causing it. It doesn't replicate if I go back to the same thread and page.

BadRamen

Disabling gifs on GAF is great and all but there are plenty that somehow still get loaded even when the option to not load gifs is enabled...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How can I disable GIFs on my Android phone? That would save a ton of bandwidth.

Top of the screen on Mobil Gaf, hit preferences and there are a bunch of controls including 'show gifs'. If you turn them off, you still get a button in the thread which replaces gifs, so you can tap it to load that individual gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom