• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF is literally not usable for me without AdBlock anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

do people still install this?! its very uncessary and a a shithole of viruses. seriously, go to control panel right now if you have it and remove it.

Well I need some way to view Homestuck. I have Firefox configured to not load it unless I say it's okay though, so everything is cool.

entremet

do people still install this?! its very uncessary and a a shithole of viruses. seriously, go to control panel right now if you have it and remove it.

Tons of people have Flash installed still.

Well I need some way to view Homestuck. I have Firefox configured to not load it unless I say it's okay though, so everything is cool.

Use the Chrome sandbox of Flash. It's much safer. However, Flash still sucks.

Java is even worse, but unfortunately a lot of business and government sites have web apps written in that shit. It kills me when we have to install it at work.

didn't evilore shake someone down here once for money after they admitted to using adblock? after he gets to travel wherever he wants and has full financial freedom from this site. hilarious

I've had GAF locking up on me now and then for a few weeks now but I hadn't put two and two together that it could be ads causing it.

n0razi

I have to run adblock 24/7 on my win8 tablet because it simply cant handle the extra processing load. Not an issue on my desktop though...

Pokemaniac

Tons of people have Flash installed still.

Use the Chrome sandbox of Flash. It's much safer. However, Flash still sucks.

While I do appreciate that a sandbox increases security, for all intents and purposes I'm only allowing Flash to execute code that I already trust.

Besides, my flash setup is... abnormal. It would be difficult for them to do lasting damage to my computer without them expecting to be run via wine (yes, that is actually preferable to running NPAPI Flash on Linux).

Bog

Junior Ace
Every few weeks I'll hit a phase where half the threads I click automatically open up the App Store for some King game.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Java is even worse, but unfortunately a lot of business and government sites have web apps written in that shit. It kills me when we have to install it at work.
I tried to have Java turned off and couldn't because so many sites use it. What happened to the days of "printer friendly version" or "HTML version?"

Pokemaniac

I tried to have Java turned off and couldn't because so many sites use it. What happened to the days of "printer friendly version" or "HTML version?"

There's nothing wrong with Java itself, but there's no excuse for developers still targeting the browser plugin. They should at least switch to Java Web Start.

goldenpp72

Interesting, i've only had one or two instances of Neogaf causing me trouble from ads, and never on Mobile. I appreciate the site being lean and unobtrusive so, i'll continue white listing it for the time being.

rakhir

I'm being automatically redirected to a site, I'm guessing for a malware, about half the pages I'm visiting on mobile, it's terrible.

Code:
Site: hxxp://paly.google.com.store.apps.siteadvisor.club/5MBivfkif2mmhxluoImYurMuwz/pl/#

Slaythe

There have been times on Mobile GAF where my browser was hijacked and I had to clean my phone of adware. I avoid browsing in mobile if I can help it now.
THIS....

Seriously make it possible to subscribe to GAF to remove ads, I d love to. It s a pain sometimes to browse on mobile.

Mr. X

I'm being automatically redirected to a site, I'm guessing for a malware, about half the pages I'm visiting on mobile, it's terrible.

Code:
Site: hxxp://paly.google.com.store.apps.siteadvisor.club/5MBivfkif2mmhxluoImYurMuwz/pl/#
This one happened to me. Didn't think it was GAF, wtf.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'd pay a subscription fee if somebody would explain why some threads are immune to being sent to community, even if they are years old and literally have community in the title of their threads.

*stares at Dragon Ball Super community thread*

Polk

I'm using mobile version of the site on my pc for few years now (thanks to user agent switcher).
Sure, you'll miss polls, but lack of shitty ads is worth it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, I too have had numerous times where I open a page and the tab just dies. Frozen. Never know if it's an ad or what but I'm pretty sure it's an ad. Or two ads. It might be the ad at the bottom of the page being the same one because the top one is usually different. But it happens way too often. Occasionally it's an ad with a loading spinning icon as if it's trying to do something. Thank goodness modern browsers keep tabs in separate processes and killing them is not a big deal in Safari. (Or Chrome) Also I have Flash disabled for NeoGAF and it still happens.

Occasionally on mobile I also get a redirect from time to time. Not all the time but it has happened. It keeps calling me a Sprint PCS member (I'm not. I'm on Virgin which is Sprint's network, but I am NOT Sprint.)

TOAQgkF.jpg
This is a shot of one of the popups. Taken right before it redirects the page and doesn't let me go back. I don't even know where to begin seeing as there's no fucking "OK" button.

At least it's not as bad as The Onion's mobile sites. ALL of their ads are infested with redirection ads. I can't read a single Clickhole, Starwipe or Onion article on my iPhone because it always takes me to an ad page with no way to go back. I've Tweeted at them numerous times. They don't listen. WTF Onion.

dity

a 2011 with 4GB of ram eh? I have a 2011 (early 2011) and I upgraded from 4GB --> 8GB --> 16GB where I am now. I have I believe 201 tabs open across 7 windows and 5 desktop spaces with NO performance issues.

My recommendation to you: Upgrade to 8GB. Switch to chrome and install The Great Suspender.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg?hl=en

It's basically a miracle Chrome add-on that puts unused tabs "to sleep", reallocating the clock and memory those tabs would be using to the free pool. Clicking on a sleeping tab refreshes the tab. It's the reason I can have 200 tabs open and be at 29% memory usage and 14% cpu.

Yes, the 8GB memory upgrade (or 16GB) will make it feel like a new computer. Throw in an SSD and you'll be good for another couple of years at least, tbqh. But ad blocking isn't the real issue anymore; it's the 4GB of ram in 2016. Trust me, upgrade as soon as you can afford the $40-$50 for an 8GB memory stick.

200 tabs? Do you know what bookmarks are?

Occasionally on mobile I also get a redirect from time to time. Not all the time but it has happened. It keeps calling me a Sprint PCS member (I'm not. I'm on Virgin which is Sprint's network, but I am NOT Sprint.)

I can corroborate this too. Pop up spam on mobile is enough where I simply don't browse gaf on my phone anymore. Using a Galaxy Note 2.

I just got a redirect ad with vibration saying I could win a Galaxy S7 on the Gaming Community board. I tried to back out, but it kept taking me to different ad sites, so I had to close my browser.

xrnzaaas

Get rid of Flash. You won't have to worry about CPU consuming ads anymore and you'll still be able to support the site. If that's not enough you can disable Javascript for this site (it'll still be possible to browse and add posts).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Get rid of Flash. You won't have to worry about CPU consuming ads anymore and you'll still be able to support the site. If that's not enough you can disable Javascript for this site (it'll still be possible to browse and add posts).
This is not quite true because I still get freezing tabs even with Flash disabled for the site.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Internet ads as they are won't survive for very long, but the internet as it is can't survive without ads. Advertisers are going to end up having to put real effort into designing ads that don't bug the shit out of people so that people aren't compelled to block them.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
There have been times on Mobile GAF where my browser was hijacked and I had to clean my phone of adware. I avoid browsing in mobile if I can help it now.

Really? I only browse GAF using mobile and never had any problems.

Somnid

NeoGaf has extremely bad XSS problems with ads, seems like only a matter of time until users are hit with a bad zero-day exploit.

Mohasus

I thought this would be about gifs.

There was one that took forever to load, I looked up the image info and it was almost 100mb, are you fucking serious?

DOAX3 reveal threads are full of these (well, not 100mb ones), and I have to wonder why. I JUST WATCHED THE FUCKING VIDEO IN OP, YOU DON'T NEED TO REPOST IT IN A TERRIBLE IMAGE FORMAT.

And then the reaction gifs, you could just write that, I don't care about your favorite series. Most of the time I don't even recognize where they are from.

The shit is, I can't click on images to view them fullsize until everything on the page loads.

Jimrpg

I thought this would be about gifs.

There was one that took forever to load, I looked up the image info and it was almost 100mb, are you fucking serious?

DOAX3 reveal threads are full of these (well, not 100mb ones), and I have to wonder why. I JUST WATCHED THE FUCKING VIDEO IN OP, YOU DON'T NEED TO REPOST IT IN A TERRIBLE IMAGE FORMAT.

And then the reaction gifs, you could just write that, I don't care about your favorite series. Most of the time I don't even recognize where they are from.

The shit is, I can't click on images to view them fullsize until everything on the page loads.

I was going to make a thread on this. Does anyone also feel like gifs chew through crazy amounts of mobile data?

I haven't got very much mobile data, about 1GB a month, though I'm upgrading to 5GB this month. After looking at my mobile data usage on iPhone, I'm pretty sure gifs are a major part of the mobile usage, especially when they get quoted again and again and on new pages. With 1GB, it literally lasts a day for me, maybe 2 days. With 5gb a month (which is the most I can get here) it may last me a week or so before I get capped.

Now I'm not saying nobody puts up gifs. The fun part of GAF are the gifs, so I don't know how the mods and evilore want to resolve this issue. I'm at the point where I'll probably disable all images, but then I'll probably lose context for a lot of the threads.

Also back on topic - I haven't had any problems with the ads on desktop or mobile (but I do have more than 4gb ram).

PSY・S;198398479 said:

You mean The Neo.

I was going to make a thread on this. Does anyone also feel like gifs chew through crazy amounts of mobile data?
It's really not hard. Disable GIFs and images and just click "view" on the ones you want to see. There's no reason to browse any other way and waste your data loading repeat images/GIFs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It seems to be whatever this ad is:

Whenever this appears, the tab is dead. I have to close it and reopen it and hope for a different ad.

I don't know what it is because there's nothing but a loading icon. But it's not animated meaning it's literally frozen.

I don't have Flash enabled so whatever it is, it's doing something bad. Maybe with JavaScript and an infinite loop. Anyone else seen this ad? Has it ever loaded for you?

Edit: Got another one. This time it was at the bottom and it is green. Interestingly Safari still lets you scroll when a tab is hung like this but you can't click anything and it shows the rainbow cursor.

Unfortunately you can't open the Web Inspector when it is hung like that though so I can't even check to see what the ad is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom