• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf Isometric City Collaboration! YOU can help too!! (Calling Pixel Artists!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

I just had this idea after seeing another thread at another forum. The idea is basically to make a city in isometric pixel art that represent GAF. Both Off-Topic and Game boards.

How can YOU help? Of course! Making buildings and giving ideas if you don't wanna build anything!. If you still want to build something but don't know how, here is one very simple tutorial:

http://www.opendb.net/element/869.php#pixel-art-tutorial

There are more tutorials at the bottom of the post.

Now, if you are ready to build something, just follow these guides:

gafcity.png

-- UPDATED SIZE REFERENCE --

Also, here is the size reference:

gafbldgsizes.png

Basically take this as the minimum smallest size. A door and a really small room. Make all the doors about this size or larger, but not much smaller because they will look weird.
To make it all homogeneous, we will do the buildings with face A being your base color, B being a 25% lighter and C a 25% darker. The shadow will be black on 25% opacity. If you can't use alphas with the software you use, leave the shadows that get casted outside the building and I will add them.
The shadows should be casted like in the picture I posted. If it isn't exactly like it, it doesn't matter, I will try to fix it or if it doesn't bother anyone, I can leave it like that.

ALRIGHT GUYS, NEW BYLAWS OF THE NEOGAF ISOMETRIC CITY:

YOU SHALL NOT CREATE ANY BUILDING THAT EXCEEDS THE NEW LIMITED SIZE BELOW. THE ONLY BUILDINGS THAT DON'T NEED TO FOLLOW THIS RULE ARE THE 'FHUTA TOWERS' AND 'MICROSOFT SKYSCRAPER'.

bldgsizelimits.png

THIS BYLAW WILL STAY ACTIVE FOR AS LONG AS NECESSARY.

Also, save your image at 100% size on PNG with transparent background so I can add it to the city.

-- DESIGN REFERENCE --

gafbldgsothers.png

We have two buildings here, right? A and B. I guess probably everybody will agree on the fact that A looks tons better than B. And I want all you guys to do buildings that look as similar to A as possible.

Here are some tips:

* Have some kind of roof on your building or other details.
* Don't make a roof 1 pixel thin, but 3 or 4 like on the A building.
* Try to use nice colors that match and the difference isn't very huge.
* Try to pick up colors already on the image (look for the newest one I posted) instead of using new colors if you can't get a nice matching.
* Add shadows!. 25% opacity!.
* Details!. Details will help A LOT. Even the A building is lacking some details on the right side, but that can be fixed easily.
* Don't make ultra-small details that look ugly!. If you are going to add stuff, don't do them 1 pixel thin unless they are paintings or stuff like that, or tubes, etc..
* Don't make the buildings with incredibly weird shapes, but don't make them like a perfect cube either. Add some architecture details every now and then and make those big and easy to understand their shapes.

Thanks! :)

You can build whatever you want. Vehicles, people (they are quite small though) or buildings. You can build extra stuff like signals and whatnot, and also modify the area surrounding your building a bit.

Once you post new content, I will add it to the image and re-post it at 200% zoom (to see the details better) on a daily basis unless there is no new content.

Latest version of the city - size modified, starting all over again!-

newgafcityrender17.png

TUTORIALS

QuickSilverGunk said:
Put this in the OP if you like, idk.

Pixel Art/IPA tutorials:
Very detailed and organized, explains all the basics, definitely check this out if you're interested in contributing!​
Nifty tutorial explains basic shapes, how to make a building, lighting, some photoshop facts, etc.​
Basic IPA stuff, building a house yet again, gives some nice subtle lessons.​
How to make a swimming pool and other assorted stuff, check it out, kinda hard to navigate...​
I don't know about this one, first it costs money, then again, the first link is a revision of the original free iteration of this guide...​

Nifty little tut on basic pixel art.​
Make a box, it's simple!​
Make a chair, it's fun! :lol​

You can use MS Paint, Photoshop/GIMP, Pixen (OS X), and various other graphics editors.

I'll add stuff as I find it, but I think this list will suffice. :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thats freakin' awesome.
Ill try to do something when i get back home.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You mean A as your base color, B lighter and C darker.

Might whip up something later. Looks fun.

CiSTM

Banned
This could be one rad project. I Don't have the necessarys skills to contribute but I am eager to see what GAF can cook up :)

Mik2121

I'm doing the first building. Meanwhile I'll just leave some signs on the ground to show the limits of said building :D

gafcityrender02.png

Come on guys, collaborate!!!

(And yes, this was some sort of shameless bump)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Mik2121 said:
I'm doing the first building. Meanwhile I'll just leave some signs on the ground to show the limits of said building :D

gafcityrender02.png

Come on guys, collaborate!!!

(And yes, this was some sort of shameless bump)

your shadows don't make sense with the original shadows on the GAF sign unless the sun is like 5 feet away from earth.

Mik2121

Timedog said:
your shadows don't make sense with the original shadows on the GAF sign unless the sun is like 5 feet away from earth.
Ah yeah sorry, I actually took the sign from another PDS file I had around and didn't check, lol! (I have a PSD file with some random pixelart objects).

I'll fix the shadow now :D

EDIT - Fixed.

SnakeswithLasers said:
I don't understand why my house isn't included. =(

Because you took the house from the tutorial and added the eyes and mouth from that smiley right there. They are not even pixel art (or at least DON'T look like such).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I recently upgraded my cpu and don't have Photoshop transfered over yet, but this is freaking awesome.

Somebody please make the following:

Sports-Age: Baseball stadium, NFL/Footy Stadium, and a NHL/NBA Arena

PoliGAF: I'd love to see a statue or a left/right see-saw appropriately leaning to the left. But we need something significantly large.

Gaming Side: Sales-Age needs a nice Chart/Billboard, a mob representing...the mob, etc.

I can't wait to contribute, but I've never done pixel art. Tutorials appreciated.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'm in. I lack spare time, but I'm definitely going to add some stuff :p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
LOL, so this means you can't be banned in NeoGAF City.
I have no idea why, but I hadn't seen the human size reference pics in the OP.

Twig

Banned
Awesome I love pixel art, love isometric viewpoints, and have recently made my own attempts at doing pixel art!

Like my new avatar. And this:
Scene.gif

The building is based on a tutorial I followed. This is obviously not my entry. But when I have the time I'll try to think of something!

EDIT: Both of which appear to have failed to stay hosted. ):

FIX'T.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
What Photoshop tool did you use to build that ? I tried using the line tool but it's not "pixel" enough :(

Mik2121

NetMapel said:
What Photoshop tool did you use to build that ? I tried using the line tool but it's not "pixel" enough :(
The Pencil tool... lol. (Not brush tool, but the pencil tool one set at 1, and lots of copy&paste, I'm so not drawing so many lines, hahah)

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Mik2121 said:
The Pencil tool... lol. (Not brush tool, but the pencil tool one set at 1, and lots of copy&paste, I'm so not drawing so many lines, hahah)
Damn so you really coloured in the pixel one by one, eh ?

Mik2121

NetMapel said:
Damn so you really coloured in the pixel one by one, eh ?
Yep. I also used lots of 'fill' tool and whatnot. Tools I never use when doing digital drawings, but for pixelart they are useful.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mistouze said:
Comic book gaf needs to have Wolverine O face on the front.

The city needs an atheist church!

Good ideas. I'm starting a list that we can cross off:

NeoGAF IsoCity
[ ] Sports-Age: Baseball stadium, NFL/Footy Stadium, and a NHL/NBA Arena.

[ ] PoliGAF: a series of statues:
- left leaning see-saw
- The NeoGAF symbol as a globe, falling on top of Atlus
- KKK Members protesting gay marriage
- A gay dude with a duck

[ ] ReligiGAF: Atheist Church

[ ] Comic-Age:
- Wolverine O-Face
- Why So Serious Tribute

[ ] Sales-Age: chart billboard, "common sense that way--->"

[ ] PhotoGAF: A giant camera building thing. That will be awesome.

[ ] AV GAF: A giant set of Monster gold-plated cables

[ ] Not-yet-approved: A giant pen of Juniors off on the side. Maybe sheep.

Mik2121

Hahaha Kevincow, anyway yours would not work because you used a photo instead of pixel drawing it :(

But still, keep doing stuff! I will put almost everything that's posted around here.

Mik2121

Oh and yeah:

Sales-Gaf building represented with the 'famous' chart going up and whatnot :p
I also put the great street sign made by Jocchan:

gafcityrender04.png

I'm not very happy with the building though. I have spent way too much time without doing pixelart, and it's paying :( I hope I can do much better stuff in the next few days :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom