• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Movies of the Year 2013 Voting Thread (voting closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Wrapping up my remaining Best Picture flicks on Saturday.
Will then prioritize anything that's on multiple lists I haven't caught yet.

When the final GAF list is posted how many films will be ranked on it? Just the overall consensus top 10 (like last year)?
Should have no trouble filtering through everything else that has the potential to break into that top group.

Just caught Nebraska tonight. June Squibb was hysterical. Gave it a 7 out of 10 score... good enough for #21 on my ranked list for the year as of right now.
The cinematography was great but I'm not sure I entirely get whether there was any benefit to it being in black and white.

My top 3 so far, still a handful of movies I need to see but I doubt my top 2 will change.

1. Gravity - Movie magic at its finest. It sucks you and never lets you go. So good I happily saw it twice.
2. Wolf of Wall Street - Funny, sad, inspiring, depressing. Leo and Scorsese strike again. I think this is up there with both their best.
3. Her - Surprise of the year. Very unique movie that really makes you think about everything we know about love & companionship.
4. Inside Llewyn Davis
5. 12 Years A Slave
6. The Act of Killing
7. This is the End
8. Rush
9. American Hustle
10. The Way Way Back

1. The Wolf of wall street.

2. Gravity.

3. The Hobbit: desolation of Smaug.

4. 12 years a slave

5. The secret life of walter mitty

6. Prisoners

7. Rush

8. Dallas buyers club

9. Mud

10. Oblivion

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think I've seen more than 10 movies from 2013, so I'm pretty much listing everything I've seen. lol

1. Gravity.
2. Her.
3. Puella Magi Madoka Magica:: Rebellion.
4. To The Wonder.
5. Captain Philips.
6. Before Midnight
7. The Act of Killing
8. The Square
9. The Grandmaster
10. Frozen

Jimothy

1. Her
2. Gravity
3. Wolf of Wall Street
4. Dallas Buyers Club
5. The World's End

Still haven't seen Llewlyn, Rush, or 12 Years.

Dommo

1. Before Midnight
2. The Wolf of Wall Street
3. The World's End
4. The Act of Killing
5. Fast and Furious 6
6. Iron Man 3
7. American Hustle

Larson

Banned
1. Her
2. 12 Years a Slave
3. Prisoners
4. Supervention
5. Oblivion
6. Dallas Buyers Club
7. Gravity
8. The Wolf of Wall Street
9. Frozen
10. The Conjuring

Man

1. Gravity
2. The Desolation of Smaug
3. The Wolf of Wallstreet
4. The Worlds End
5. 12 years a slave
6. Star Trek Into Darkness

I've seen 30 2013 movies. Removing the ones that have absolutely no chance like Jack the Giant Slayer and Gravity, I'm left with 15. Out of those I made a top 8 and don't feel that strongly about the rest of them.

I need to see 2 more great things and then picking 10 is going to be way easy.

UberTag

I've cleared through 69 films from 2013 - including the entirety of what presently comprises GAF's Top 20 based on the votes submitted thus far.
With the exception of The Hobbit - for some reason I can't bring myself to watch that series after loving The Lord of the Rings.

I have 7 flicks left to watch which have accumulated some measure of support.
Along with 2 animated features, 3 docs and one foreign film to wrap up those Oscar categories. Should be able to clear through those with little issue before voting closes in a couple weeks.

Incidentally there are a couple films I've included in my Top 20 (but outside of my voting ballot) that haven't been released outside of the festival circuit and may make a reappearance next year.
Those being the John Carney musical Can a Song Save Your Life? starring Mark Ruffalo and Keira Knightley and the Mia Wasikowska showcase vehicle, Tracks.

ymmv

Banned
It feels wrong putting up a top of 2013 list when I have yet to see so many contenders: Wolf of Wall Street, 12 Years a Slave, Blue is the Warmest Color, Her, American Hustle, Inside Llewyn Davis ... I've seen about 35 movies from 2013 but it's not enough by far to make a solid list.

Shaffield

1. Her
2. Before Midnight
3. Insidious: Chapter 2
4. The Way Way Back
5. The Conjuring
6. The Wolf of Wall Street
7. Inside Llewyn Davis
8. Pacific Rim
9. The World's End
10.American Hustle

man Her was fucking amazing

Wilbur

Banned
I have so many left to see. Her is the biggest one remaining, out here on the 14th so will see it just in time.

But also The Wind Rises, Blue Is The Warmest Colour, Rush, Prisoners, Short Term 12, Spectacular Now, Fruitvale Stoker, Stoker, Kings Of Summer, Skde Effects, The Great Beauty, The Grandmaster, Out Of The Furnace, Labor Day, Mandela...

What a year.

Linius

I'm gonna watch All is Lost and Le Passé over the weekend and then I'll just make my list. Still missing like five or six films at that point but it's just impossible to see them all :p

bloke

1. The Great Beauty
2. Inside Llewyn Davis
3. Gravity
4. Prisoners
5. Only God Forgives / The Garden of Words

Not particularly happy with the order, but this will have to do. Also disappointed that I wasn't able to see The Wolf of Wall Street or Blue is the Warmest Colour in time.

1. Frances Ha
  2. Philomena
  3. Good Vibrations
  4. The Hunt
  5. Filth
  6. Blue Jasmine
  7. Her
  8. Before Midnight
  9. Rush
  10. The World's End

AmorFati

Neo Member
1. 12 Years a Slave
2. The Hunt
3. Blue Is the Warmest Colour
4. Gravity
5. Rush
6. Her
7. Dallas Buyers Club
8. American Hustle
9. The Wolf of Wall Street
10. The Place Beyond the Pines

I really wish there was room for Mud, Captain Phillips, The Act of Killing and Prisoners.

UberTag

I was about to ask how good rush was..then i saw you had pacific rim as number 2 :O
Pacific Rim may have had the worst screenplay of any film I watched last year. Which says a lot considering I watched Sharknado.

I still enjoyed it (gave it a 6/10 score) but that's entirely on the basis of its visuals.
del Toro even managed to cram in a tribute to Bill Pullman's Independence Day speech.

It's going to make the overall GAF Top 10 so you'd better brace yourself for that eventuality right now.

csiey4Y.jpg

1. Thor 2
2. Fast 6
3. Hobbit
4. Iron Man 3
5. Pacific Rim
6. Star Trek
7. Elysium

That's all I watched...

Violet_0

Banned
1. Frozen
2. Ernest & Celestine
3. The World's End
4. The Hunt
5. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
6. Star Trek: Into Darkness
7. Only God Forgives
8. Iron Man 3

still haven't seen Gravity or 12 Years a Slave and a couple of other movies

UberTag

1. Frozen
2. Ernest & Celestine
3. The World's End
4. The Hunt
5. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
6. Star Trek: Into Darkness
7. Only God Forgives
8. Iron Man 3

still haven't seen Gravity or 12 Years a Slave and a couple of other movies
I just finished watching this and, my word, I think it might well be the most charming animated film I've seen since the likes of Spirited Away and Wall-E.
Clearly I'm not alone in this as I just looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and the primary word coming out of the critics mouths is also "charming".

Ernest & Célestine has managed to do what Wolf Children, Frozen and The Wind Rises could not. Crack my overall Top 10.

I feel like I need to put Inside Llewyn Davis in my top 10. Amazing movie.

I also watched "Her" but man I was not feeling that one. I liked the way they handled a not too distant future but I just can't fathom people being that naive in real life I guess.

1. Wolf of Wall Street
2. Her
3. 12 Years a Slave
4. Gravity
5. Nebraska
6. Fruitvale Station
7. Out of the Furnace
8. Rush
9. Man of Steel
10. Pacific Rim

Status
Not open for further replies.