Neogaf.net for bypassing work firewalls

Although I don't have a problem with firewalls, this brings a smile to my face.

Fun fact though, the reason I started lurking GAF was because it was one of the very few sites that WASN'T blocked at my previous job.

I use google translate. My workplace has blocked neogaf.com but not the word 'neogaf'.

1. Go to google translate
2. Enter 'neogaf.com' or 'm.neogaf.com' in the field.
3. Select 'xxxxx' to English where xxxxx is any language besides english.
4. Click translate
5. ???
6. Profit

Gotta try out neogaf.net now

This is the best thing I've seen in so long. I don't really keep up with things when at home due to lack of time (busy with family and games) so I used to use my work time to keep up with news. New job in Feb and EVERY thing game related is blocked so I've had no idea about nothing for the past 6 months

I'm the network administrator here at my job and I just added the .net sufix to the blocked gaming category inside Websense.

Yes, I'm a bad person.

My work used to block GAF and some other videogame interest sites. (They don't anymore thank goodness).
I have no problem with it. It's their internet to do with as they choose.

What does irritate me though is the hypocrisy. My interest (videogames) is discriminated against. You don't see gardening sites banned. Or car sites. Or sports sites (in Australia, so Baggygreen.com (cricket), AFL.com, NRL.com, v8SuperCars, or NFL.com). Imagine the uproar if they were banned? Imagine a USA employer banning NFL.com? It would be a bloodbath. But hey - neoGAF? - CALL THE FEDS!!!!!

Yeah, yeah, firstworld/whiteperson problems or whatever dumb thing...
Not allowed to voice a negative opinion on something cos....kids starving in Africa.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My work used to block GAF and some other videogame interest sites. (They don't anymore thank goodness).
I have no problem with it. It's their internet to do with as they choose.

What does irritate me though is the hypocrisy. My interest (videogames) is discriminated against. You don't see gardening sites banned. Or car sites. Or sports sites (in Australia, so Baggygreen.com (cricket), AFL.com, NRL.com, v8SuperCars, or NFL.com). Imagine the uproar if they were banned? Imagine a USA employer banning NFL.com? It would be a bloodbath. But hey - neoGAF? - CALL THE FEDS!!!!!

Not allowed to voice a negative opinion on something cos....kids starving in Africa.
I see more people wasting time on mlb.com than I ever see gaming forums come up, yet GAF gets banned at a lot of jobs I've worked at.

My buddy Dahellisdat is having problems logging in. Neogaf.com is blocked at his work so this is him trying the .net address.

I'm just going to paste our chat because I'm too lazy to paraphrase:

me: so what happens when you log in?
Benjamin: it send me to invalid redirect page
me: but first says thank you for logging in?
Benjamin: if i go into a thread and click post reply, it takes me to a different log in page
when i log in there, it says thanks for logging in, and then takes me bag to that same log in page but im still not logged in
if i click on the forgot password link and type in my e-mail address, it says e-mail address not recognized
me: and you already tried clearing your neogaf cookies and cache?
Benjamin: yeah
lemme try again
Benjamin: nope, same shit
me: ok so lemme get this straight
you log in just fine, it thanks you and redirects you as normal, you browse gaf as logged in
Benjamin: nope
me: then when you hit post reply or quote, it takes you straight to the login page?
Benjamin: it says thank you for logging in, but im not actually ever logged in
that was just something additional that i discovered
when i click post reply, when not logged in, it takes me to a log in page different from the one i normally use at the top of the neogaf screen
and the problem that i have from that login screen is that when i try to log in, it says thank you for logging in, then redirects me back to the same login screen i was just at, still not logged in
me: you use chrome right? try SHIFT+CTRL+N to open an incognito window, then try logging into gaf from there. i think it will work but youll have to re-login to gaf every time you open your browser
Benjamin: no difference with that
Benjamin: ill try again with IE
Benjamin: nah ie has the same problem

Sweet! Will try when lunchtime is over. My work blocks GAF, but not Penny Arcade, oddly enough. So I've been hanging out at PA at work and GAF at home.

EDIT: It works! But I can't log in either. Better than nothing, though.

I think it comes from videogames being tied into actually playing games at work. Solitaire at work being looked down on, then ban flash game sites, then just ban anything videogame related. Unfortunate

Edit: Also people having problems logging in to reply to a thread, I used to have the same problem. Try logging in at the main forum page and it should work.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
As I'm sure you're all well aware, using these types of site-based methods of bypassing hardware firewalls, anti-obscenity filtering software, and workplace firewalls has been illegal for the past 3 years. Although in the landmark Dade County v. The United States Federal Government case, the Supreme Court decided 7-2 to abolish language in the law that would have made it possible for prosecutors to theoretically bump the charge from a misdemeanor to treason if certain conditions were met. There's a pretty good HBO documentary about it called "This Is All A Lie: The New Workplace Hackers". I don't think it's on HBO Go yet though.

As I'm sure you're all well aware, using these types of site-based methods of bypassing hardware firewalls, anti-obscenity filtering software, and workplace firewalls has been illegal for the past 3 years. Although in the landmark Dade County v. The United States Federal Government case, the Supreme Court decided 7-2 to abolish language in the law that would have made it possible for prosecutors to theoretically bump the charge from a misdemeanor to treason if certain conditions were met. There's a pretty good HBO documentary about it called "This Is All A Lie: The New Workplace Hackers". I don't think it's on HBO Go yet though.
uh huh