• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEOGAF PC Gaming Thread 2019+ On the road to Night City....

Flintty

Hi PC Gaf. I’m thinking of getting my son a 120fps capable monitor for Xmas but I’m not sure if it would be worth it with his 3 yr old PC (specs below). I don’t game at 120fps so this is all new to me. Is it the gfx card that takes a pounding? Any advice appreciated!
AIPUqZE.png

Last edited:
Hi PC Gaf. I’m thinking of getting my son a 120fps capable monitor for Xmas but I’m not sure if it would be worth it with his 3 yr old PC (specs below). I don’t game at 120fps so this is all new to me. Is it the gfx card that takes a pounding? Any advice appreciated!
AIPUqZE.png

I'd say best bet is to disable v-sync and see in the game he plays if the fps are high enough to justify the buy. If his system can maintain a high fps for instance.

It really depends from game to game but generally if the graphics are not the bottleneck it will shift to the CPU. The higher the FPS the more instructions it needs from the CPU etc.

Also be prepared once you go 100+ fps you never want to go back. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Flintty

I'd say best bet is to disable v-sync and see in the game he plays if the fps are high enough to justify the buy. If his system can maintain a high fps for instance.

It really depends from game to game but generally if the graphics are not the bottleneck it will shift to the CPU. The higher the FPS the more instructions it needs from the CPU etc.

Also be prepared once you go 100+ fps you never want to go back. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Awesome thanks, I never thought of unlimiting FPS on a 60fps monitor. He mostly plays Destiny 2 at the moment and a RAM or CPU upgrade is possible.
And yes, there is the worry that ill need a new monitor when I see his in action 🙈

pr0cs

I really want to upgrade my aging 980gtx but I need to buy a GPU with waterblock as my system is watercooled. Disappointing there are so few prebuilt waterblock GPUs out there. Not sure I want to undertake buying and the block kit esp given how many favors of both blocks and GPUs there are out there

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
AIPUqZE.png

So an i3 CPU is about power saving. It's not going to have enough grunt to really drive games along. The 1050Ti is a fairly weak GPU as well. Honestly I'm not sure it'll have enough in it to drive 120fps except for the kind of games that won't benefit from it.

Flintty

So an i3 CPU is about power saving. It's not going to have enough grunt to really drive games along. The 1050Ti is a fairly weak GPU as well. Honestly I'm not sure it'll have enough in it to drive 120fps except for the kind of games that won't benefit from it.

Ok, thanks. I suspected it wouldn’t have the balls for it. Perhaps I’ll get him some other upgrades instead.

Pejo

So GAF, I asked this in the Red Dead PC thread too, just looking for some quick advice. I have been running a 970 for a number of years now, and I'm looking to upgrade. I want to get in to ray tracing, and my price range caps out around 500. Is a RTX 2070 Super my best bet?

I just acquired an i7 4790 with 16GB RAM for free, so I want to pop a graphics card in it and see what I can get. My current system is an old i7 2600 with 16GB RAM and the 970. I did some comparisons and it looks like the CPU upgrade is about an 11% increase in overall gaming performance, so I'm obviously going make the majority of the upgrade with the graphics card.

If the RTX 2070 isn't my best bet, I'd love recommendations. I never looked at Radeon before, but I'm not against it.

Stere

So GAF, I asked this in the Red Dead PC thread too, just looking for some quick advice. I have been running a 970 for a number of years now, and I'm looking to upgrade. I want to get in to ray tracing, and my price range caps out around 500. Is a RTX 2070 Super my best bet?

I just acquired an i7 4790 with 16GB RAM for free, so I want to pop a graphics card in it and see what I can get. My current system is an old i7 2600 with 16GB RAM and the 970. I did some comparisons and it looks like the CPU upgrade is about an 11% increase in overall gaming performance, so I'm obviously going make the majority of the upgrade with the graphics card.

If the RTX 2070 isn't my best bet, I'd love recommendations. I never looked at Radeon before, but I'm not against it.

Take a look at the RX 5700 XT, the 2070 Super is little bit faster and has Ray Tracing, but the 5700 XT is cheaper.
But make sure to choose a custom model.

But both cards will suffer from bottleneck with CPU in this case.

Stere

What games he usually plays? He wants to game mostly on Ultra settings?

If you can wait till like june next year and the rumours are true the 3070 might give you a whole lot more ray tracing performance. I’m not sure the 2000 series RTX cards are that good at it.
If you don’t want to wait I’d say you can’t go wrong 5700xt ~100$ cheaper than a 2070 and very competitive performance wise.
Also If you are buy for Red dead look at a few game benchmarks like :

Last edited:

n0razi

Im about to "upgrade" my 500GB 960 EVO to a 2TB Intel 660p... i know its a downgrade in many ways but I think for the vast majority of my use case, I won't notice a difference

Kenpachii

Basically 2070 super would be solid for it.

Last edited:

Ivellios

Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but is there any difference in the Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb 3200 different models?

There are 2 options and i dont know the difference between them: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 and CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16.

Im gonna use it with a Ryzen 3600.

Myths

even the 2080TI has to get on its knees

Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but is there any difference in the Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb 3200 different models?

There are 2 options and i dont know the difference between them: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 and CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16.
One just has a slightly higher latency at boot but essentially are the same tested. So, one runs slightly faster at default settings but using XMP profiles the same performance should be achievable.

xwzkuZc.jpg

OPp16je.jpg

C

Last edited:

Im gonna use it with a Ryzen 3600.

Different will be timings or something so minor it's not worth looking into.

Im about to "upgrade" my 500GB 960 EVO to a 2TB Intel 660p... i know its a downgrade in many ways but I think for the vast majority of my use case, I won't notice a difference

Lets just say that if you don't copy 100GB+ files the whole day you will never know the difference. :messenger_winking:

draliko

I just ordered a r5 3600 and b450 mortar max to upgrade from a r5 1600 and a b350 gigabyte gaming board. Didn't really ever like that board (especially the software if you need it), but in reality even if the upgrade it's not enormous I still hope to get overall better performances (I use the pc also for graphics and video editing in my free time), the problem is that I have a 1080gtx and 4k monitor, now gaming at 4k it's not feasible with that card (I hope rdna2 helps us on this) so I often set resolution to 1440p and call it a day, but I was wondering is there something similar to checkerboard rendering on pc? I've been off the pc scene for a long time and I'm trying to get back in :) thanks all

Stere

Mostly into Destiny 2 at the moment. He likes to run on max and his PC performs fine at the moment. I think his bottleneck is the CPU though.

Take a look at this

waylo

Banned
Finally pulled the trigger on basically a new computer. Picked up a 3800X, Gigabyte Aorus Elite motherboard, and 16GB on 3600MHz RAM this morning for around $600. Will be replacing my aging 4790k. I'll be bringing over my PSU and 2060 though.

slade

Built a 1080p machine today from the scraps of an old PC I had lying around. The CPU (i5 7400) and the custom motherboard were the only things left because I gutted this PC to build my other 4k system. Finally settled on a GPU this morning, a Gigabyte RTX 2060 which was on sale for 399 at Canada Computers. Wanted an RX 5700 but all the ones close to a 400 dollar price point were sold out.

Final specs:
i5 7400 @ 3ghz
Gigabyte Aorus Rtx 2060
8 Gb ddr4, 2400 mhz
2tb Seagate Barracuda

I don't plan to overclock since I've read this particular GPU tends to run hot. My only cooling solutions are the GPU and CPU fans. I'm hoping this will be enough for 1080p for at least 2-3 years.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Built a 1080p machine today from the scraps of an old PC I had lying around. The CPU (i5 7400) and the custom motherboard were the only things left because I gutted this PC to build my other 4k system. Finally settled on a GPU this morning, a Gigabyte RTX 2060 which was on sale for 399 at Canada Computers. Wanted an RX 5700 but all the ones close to a 400 dollar price point were sold out.

Final specs:
i5 7400 @ 3ghz
Gigabyte Aorus Rtx 2060
8 Gb ddr4, 2400 mhz
2tb Seagate Barracuda

I don't plan to overclock since I've read this particular GPU tends to run hot. My only cooling solutions are the GPU and CPU fans. I'm hoping this will be enough for 1080p for at least 2-3 years.

It's okay but the cpu and memory are a bit weak. I would at least go for 16 GB.

slade

Memory is cheap enough these days that I can upgrade a bit later. The CPU is my main concern because it only ever was adequate when I had a 1060 in this machine. I'm aware that it will be a bottleneck but unless I find a 7700 or even a 7600 at a reasonable price, I'll take my chances.

Any of you own an ultrawide monitor? I currently have two 27 inch MSI curved models, one 1440p, 144hz, with the other being 1080p, and again 144hz. Have to say I'm intrigued by ultrawides now, though.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Memory is cheap enough these days that I can upgrade a bit later. The CPU is my main concern because it only ever was adequate when I had a 1060 in this machine. I'm aware that it will be a bottleneck but unless I find a 7700 or even a 7600 at a reasonable price, I'll take my chances.

7600 isn't really worth it. It is still 4C 4T. Only reasonable upgrade is a 6700 or 7700.

Last edited:

Ivellios

Sorry if this has been asked here before, but considering future proof, is a ryzen 2700 a good purchase?

There is an nice discount on these in my country and they are cheaper than a 3600.

If its not a good decision i just wait for an good offer on 3600 though.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Doing a ground up build for the first time since 2013, Letting my old PC go down to my daughter, albeit I'm pretty sure it's gonna need a new GPU sooner rather than later at least.

Looking at pairing a 3950 with a 2080 Super ideally, but I may settle on a 3900 with a 2070 Super for budgetary concerns.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
What's everyone currently playing? I'm working through yakuza kiwami. A little gears 5 in there as well but I find it a bit of a slog.

slade

I went through Ori and the Blind Forest to pass the time between TLoU2 and Ghost of Tsushima. Finished the game pretty quickly and started Ori 2. Currently have that on the back burner while I finish up Ghost. Then it's on to Doom Eternal or something else from my backlog.

Mista

Banned
What's everyone currently playing? I'm working through yakuza kiwami. A little gears 5 in there as well but I find it a bit of a slog.
The Messenger. The Touryst just got released on game pass and its looks like a fun chill game so I'll give it a go

Rygeist

Banned

Check out any of the 2070 Super EVGA Cards. I've had an amazing experience with the XC Ultra.

Myths

The latest ENB for GTA V (only available through Patreon) adds a normal mapping technique giving more bump to textures and gorgeous shores with screen space reflection. I had to:

I’ll probably re-do this to highlight the differences.

Last edited:

Lux R7

AC Origins, i'm doing a real playthrough but with a lot of photomode pauses (and it shows in the pc screenshot thread lol), i'm loving Egypt in this game.

Wunray

Been slowly putting together a build for late 2020 all I need now is a new 30xx series or Navi GPU and the 4000 series and ryzen CPU the 3600 is just a stop gap.
IMG_20200814_114053.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Been slowly putting together a build for late 2020 all I need now is a new 30xx series or Navi GPU and the 4000 series and ryzen CPU the 3600 is just a stop gap.
IMG_20200814_114053.jpg

This is the active thread bro:

Post all your stuff in there.

Top Bottom