• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Community NeoGAF Photography & Camera Gear Community

May 28, 2013
Finally got a FE 50mm f1/.8 budget lens to move up from the kit lens that I had.

Although even with f/8, the mask itself is blurry (I had the focus point set towards my eye/face).

Details:

1/4th
f/8
ISO 1000
FL 50mm

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: Zefah and Bo_Hazem
May 28, 2013
Nice shot, mate. And that mask is insanely good!
Thanks man. The mask is indeed quite good but due to not being in focus here is causing it to look a little meh. I need to brush up on my focal lengths and apertures more to capture things that I want in my shot to be sharp. But here I also used a dedicated focus point which probably caused the issue.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
Thanks man. The mask is indeed quite good but due to not being in focus here is causing it to look a little meh. I need to brush up on my focal lengths and apertures more to capture things that I want in my shot to be sharp. But here I also used a dedicated focus point which probably caused the issue.
You could as well use a zoom lens. For example, one of the lenses on my radar is Sigma 105mm f/1.4 for E-mount. Even if you keep it at f/1.4 you'll still have the person extremely sharp while blurring the background.

Or have it at like F/2.8 to be sure. BUT, you can go back a little and crop if you have like good resolution to play with.

May 28, 2013
You could as well use a zoom lens. For example, one of the lenses on my radar is Sigma 105mm f/1.4 for E-mount. Even if you keep it at f/1.4 you'll still have the person extremely sharp while blurring the background.

Or have it at like F/2.8 to be sure. BUT, you can go back a little and crop if you have like good resolution to play with.
I do have the kit lens 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 that really does a great job being a kit lens and all.

Got the nifty fifty because I needed more maximum aperture for good bokeh effect, since I was photographing myself, the distance between me and the camera was quite minimal enough to just have a focus lock. I will experiment further once I feel inspired lol.

• Strength

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
I do have the kit lens 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 that really does a great job being a kit lens and all.

Got the nifty fifty because I needed more maximum aperture for good bokeh effect, since I was photographing myself, the distance between me and the camera was quite minimal enough to just have a focus lock. I will experiment further once I feel inspired lol.
Does it accept remotes? You can use a remote and get a bit far away. Also, try the timer, I think it'll keep focusing?

May 28, 2013
Does it accept remotes? You can use a remote and get a bit far away. Also, try the timer, I think it'll keep focusing?
I used the Imaging Edge Mobile app provided by Sony themselves which helps with remote shutter, can use it as a second viewfinder as well as change aperture, shutter and ISO settings but can't use it to focus.

When I used the focus on the camera to focus on a specific point, I was expecting on f/8 to have everything in focus.

• Thoughtful

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
I used the Imaging Edge Mobile app provided by Sony themselves which helps with remote shutter, can use it as a second viewfinder as well as change aperture, shutter and ISO settings but can't use it to focus.

When I used the focus on the camera to focus on a specific point, I was expecting on f/8 to have everything in focus.
I have zero experience first hand, by the way. It's mostly what I've read. Buying the a7S III later ;).

• Fire
Reactions: Celestial Mortal

dcll

Apr 28, 2017
I bought a new Sigma 35 Art off Facebook from a girl needing bill money but it was Sony mount, when I first messaged I thought it was Canon. I went ahead and bought it because I knew I could probably sell or trade it easily and the price was really good

pawel86ck

Jan 27, 2018
At first I thought it's all about good camera, and good lens. Now however I have realized it's all about pretty much everything, meaning not just camera gear, but also about lighting, good poses, color theory, emotions, photoshop knowledge etc. That's a lot of knowledge, so right now I'm studying a lot, because it's easy to take average photos, and someday I want to take photos that people will want to look at.

Here's my instagram where I will be uploading my photos (hopefully better and better)

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
At first I thought it's all about good camera, and good lens. Now however I have realized it's all about pretty much everything, meaning not just camera gear, but also about lighting, good poses, color theory, emotions, photoshop knowledge etc. That's a lot of knowledge, so right now I'm studying a lot, because it's easy to take average photos, and someday I want to take photos that people will want to look at.

Here's my instagram where I will be uploading my photos (hopefully better and better)

Wonderful shots, mate! Lately, I've been using Luminar 4, I mean it gives you an unfair advantage due to its AI, wonderful how it tweaks your photos like a pro! Just avoid 4.3 version, go for 4.2, it's broken so far. Also there is the new Luminar AI coming soon. I have Aurora HDR from the same company as well, try downloading them and try them for free.

Reactions: pawel86ck

pawel86ck

Jan 27, 2018
Wonderful shots, mate! Lately, I've been using Luminar 4, I mean it gives you an unfair advantage due to its AI, wonderful how it tweaks your photos like a pro! Just avoid 4.3 version, go for 4.2, it's broken so far. Also there is the new Luminar AI coming soon. I have Aurora HDR from the same company as well, try downloading them and try them for free.
I dont trust AI. I still remember old terminator movies, and I know what AI is capable of (skynet, end of the world, and stuff like that 😅). But jokes aside, thanks for a recommendation, I will defnintely watch YT videos in regards to Luminar AI, although I must say I can already replace sky, and entire background in photoshop.

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
I dont trust AI. I still remember old terminator movies, and I know what AI is capable of (skynet, end of the world, and stuff like that 😅). But jokes aside, thanks for a recommendation, I will defnintely watch YT videos in regards to Luminar AI, although I must say I can already replace sky, and entire background in photoshop.
It's not about replacing, it smartly adjust contrast, smartly adjust lighting, and everything! Partially improves foliage, and lots of sorcery. Luminar 4 is better than Luminar AI for you, it already has crazy AI on Luminar 4.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Jan 27, 2018
It's not about replacing, it smartly adjust contrast, smartly adjust lighting, and everything! Partially improves foliage, and lots of sorcery. Luminar 4 is better than Luminar AI for you, it already has crazy AI on Luminar 4.
Yes, I know you have to consider lighting (match brightness and color cast), cut entire sky and people with perfect mask (especially hair is difficult to cut perfectly), however it sounds too good if AI can do it perfectly just in one click :p. Adobe has refined AI in photoshop not so long time ago for cuting subjects but it can cut hair with good results only when background color is solid, so I'm using standard methods anyway. Of course I will try Luminar AI, because it must be good if you are recommending it. In fact I'm watching this video right now:

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
Yes, I know you have to consider lighting (match brightness and color cast), cut entire sky and people with perfect mask (especially hair is difficult to cut perfectly), however it sounds too good if AI can do it perfectly just in one click :p. Adobe has refined AI in photoshop not so long time ago for cuting subjects but it can cut hair with good results only when background color is solid, so I'm using standard methods anyway. Of course I will try Luminar AI, because it must be good if you are recommending it. In fact I'm watching this video right now:

I'm recommending Luminar 4 (use 4.2 version), you can try it for free. It has insane AI.

Luminar AI is a new app coming, standalone, one click modification.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun

pawel86ck

Jan 27, 2018
I'm recommending Luminar 4 (use 4.2 version), you can try it for free. It has insane AI.

Luminar AI is a new app coming, standalone, one click modification.

Holy cow, this thing can indeed do a lot. But If people can edit their photos so easily then I guess photographers who mastered photoshop will be no longer so special 🤷‍♂️🤔. IDK if that's a good thing 😏.

Last edited:
  • Fire

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman

Holy cow, this thing can indeed do a lot. But If people can edit their photos so easily then I guess photographers who mastered photoshop will be no longer so special 🤷‍♂️🤔. IDK if that's a good thing 😏.
This looks insane, I might as well buy this one to implement the rest. But Luminar 4 still has full manual tools, so you can use both AI to speed up you work, and manual editing. Aurora HDR on the other hand is an insane app that makes HDR out of 1 single photo, you can use several traditionally as well. So Aurora HDR is amazing for underexposed or overexposed photos that even with Luminar 4 you can't reach that kinda dynamic range.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Jan 27, 2018
This looks insane, I might as well buy this one to implement the rest. But Luminar 4 still has full manual tools, so you can use both AI to speed up you work, and manual editing. Aurora HDR on the other hand is an insane app that makes HDR out of 1 single photo, you can use several traditionally as well. So Aurora HDR is amazing for underexposed or overexposed photos that even with Luminar 4 you can't reach that kinda dynamic range.
My impressions after trying version 4.

Sky mask isnt perfect. I knew it sounded too good to be true.

Even in simple scenarios like few lines on the sky there are artifacts.

But I have to say it's REALLY cool feature being able to see in one click how my photo will look like with different sky, and if I wll like the results I can always spend my time in photoshop doing things the "old fashioned" way :).

• Fire

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
My impressions after trying version 4.

Sky mask isnt perfect. I knew it sounded too good to be true.

Even in simple scenarios like few lines on the sky there are artifacts.

But I have to say it's REALLY cool feature being able to see in one click how my photo will look like with different sky, and if I wll like the results I can always spend my time in photoshop doing things the "old fashioned" way :).
That actually looks amazing! And on Instagram it's already too small for people to see. I don't use those fakery as I keep it as authentic as possible, but it's wonderful for an artistic approach, which I will put a disclaimer under it.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Jan 27, 2018
That actually looks amazing! And on Instagram it's already too small for people to see. I don't use those fakery as I keep it as authentic as possible, but it's wonderful for an artistic approach, which I will put a disclaimer under it.
Absolutely, without zooming artifacts are too small to notice. I have to say mask is very good in around 95%, so I think if they would add adjustments for specific areas AI would cut everything without artifacts. But even right now luminar 4 is really awesome tool, because it's very useful when you can test different artistic vision in no time. Thanks for this recommendation :)

Last edited:
  • Strength

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
Absolutely, without zooming artifacts are too small to notice. I have to say mask is very good in around 95%, so I think if they would add adjustments for specific areas AI would cut everything without artifacts. But even right now luminar 4 is really awesome tool, because it's very useful when you can test different artistic vision in no time. Thanks for this recommendation :)
You're welcome, mate! You can paint exactly where you want it to do those adjustments, and use separate layers of adjustments as well.