• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf Political/Moral Compass 2019 Thread : No but seriously, are you a Nazi?

Guiberu

Jan 6, 2009
England
Inspired by the Political Compass 2018 thread (which I only just found), and a specific post within, by none other than the Big Boss himself, I thought I'd go about getting an updated version of this concept going.

Moral Foundations Test

Social scientists such as Ravi Iyer and Jonathan Haidt argue that there are substantial variations in human morality and that these differences influence not just a person's decision making and reasoning processes, but also their political outlook.

In recent years, researchers and scholars from all over the world have converged on the framework on Moral Foundations Theory in an attempt to explain these individual differences, as well as to make sense of the many instances of moral outrage and offense that are increasingly seen in public debate.

By drawing on findings from their research, this test aims to give you your scores according to the Moral Foundations framework.

The test asks you 36 Questions, based on the below 6 foundations, which you are able to rank anywhere from Not Ok (-6) to Ok (+6).

Care:
This foundation pertains to our mammalian need to care for our young and to form bonds of attachment to others. It underlies the virtues of kindness and nurturance and is tied to emotions such as protectiveness and compassion. Left-liberals typically score the highest on this dimension, conservatives the second-highest, and libertarians the lowest.

Fairness: This foundation pertains to our ability to maintain cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. It underlies the virtues of honesty, justice, and dependability. It is tied to emotions such as gratitude, anger, and guilt. Left-liberals typically score higher on this dimension than conservatives and libertarians.

Loyalty: This foundation is derived from our species' long history of living as tribes and clans, enabling us to form cohesive communities. It underlies the virtues of patriotism, bravery, and self-sacrifice on behalf of the group. It is tied to emotions such as pride and a sense of belonging. Conservatives typically score higher on this dimension than left-liberals and libertarians.

Authority: This foundation was shaped by humanity's long history of bonding together in hierarchical social interactions. It underlies the virtues of respect for tradition and deference to legitimate authority. It is tied to emotions such as fear, respect, and awe. Conservatives typically score higher on this dimension than left-liberals and libertarians.

Purity: This foundation pertains to our species' need to avoid disease and parasites. It underlies the phenomenon of cultural taboos and fuels the commitment to live in a manner that abstains from indulgence in sensory desires. It is tied to emotions such as sanctity, piety, and disgust. Conservatives typically score higher on this dimension than left-liberals and libertarians.

Liberty: This foundation is related to the individual's need to be his own master and to avoid the dominant social mores imposed by the group. It underlies the virtues of independence and autonomy. It is tied to emotions such as self-sufficiency and defiance. Libertarians typically score the highest on this dimension, conservatives the second-highest, and left-liberals the lowest.

This also allows your to be categorized into one of the following 3 Political groups.

Left-Liberalism: Individuals in this group seek to uphold individual liberty while taxing the market to provide social benefits for those in need. They tend to see themselves as seeking balance between individual liberty and social justice and to be in favor of multiculturalism, secular government, and international cooperation. While they are typically skeptical of state involvement in social affairs, they nevertheless see a legitimate role for the state in combating discrimination and ensuring equal treatment. Left-Liberals typically have a Care- and Fairness-based morality.

Conservatism: Individuals in this group seek to retain the traditional social and economic order and to uphold the sovereignty of the state. They tend to see themselves as the defenders of what their forebears would have wanted, favoring strict immigration laws, traditional values, and a strong military. While they typically see a role for the state in matters of national security and culture, they tend to be more skeptical of state involvement in the economy. Conservatives typically have a balanced morality where all six foundations are represented in (roughly) equal proportions.

Libertarianism: Individuals in this group seek to uphold liberty as the primary political good in all respects. They tend to see themselves as staunch supporters of both personal and economic freedom and are deeply skeptical of collective plans and goals, stressing instead the principle of voluntary association and the individual's capacity to make his own judgments. They typically see less of a role for the state than individuals in the other two groups, believing instead in the spontaneous social order of the market. Libertarians typically have a Liberty-based morality.

My results were as follows.

• Care 94%
  • Loyalty 31%
  • Fairness 83%
  • Authority 47%
  • Purity 78%
  • Liberty 72%

Your strongest moral foundation is Care.
Your morality is closest to that of a Left-Liberal.

I'd say that's a fairly accurate picture of me. Though there are many grey areas. Much like life.

So come on, Gaf.

Spend 10-15 minutes, listen to some chill tunes, take the test and post your results...

Last edited:

brap

Formerly 'xXxKi$$e$&Razorblade$xXx'
Jan 9, 2018
Some of these questions are great. incest, getting a sex doll that looks like your niece, dog poop cake. I don't get how it came out to this though. Guess I should've said it was cool for the brother and sister to fuck.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Thanks for making the thread, Guiberu Guiberu ! Curious to see everyone's results.

On the Care and Fairness axes I'm closest to Left-Liberal. Loyalty, Authority, Purity I'm closest to Conservative. And Liberty I'm closet to Libertarian. Fascinating.

Thurible

Formerly 'CatholicGamerGuy'
Aug 15, 2018

• Your scores:
Care 83%

Loyalty 50%
  • Fairness 89%
  • Authority 75%
  • Purity 78%
  • Liberty 39%
Your strongest moral foundation is Fairness.

This doesn't sound quite right, though I am not a far right conservative, I wouldn't call myself a liberal in any sense of the word.

For context, I thought most of the scenarios that were brought up are immoral.

Oct 26, 2018
These kinds of polls are interesting. I always thought I was conservative. Most polls show me as middle of the road. This is the first one saying I'm left.

These questions were odd though. They have a slider scale. But to me, almost all of them were clear No or Yes. Only a few I left in the middle as I didn't have enough context from the question.

Somehow I maxed out Fairness at 100%!

• Your scores:

• Care 83%
  • Loyalty 67%
  • Fairness 100%
  • Authority 42%
  • Purity 67%
  • Liberty 67%

Fairness: This foundation pertains to our ability to maintain cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. It underlies the virtues of honesty, justice, and dependability. It is tied to emotions such as gratitude, anger, and guilt. Left-liberals typically score higher on this dimension than conservatives and libertarians.

Left-Liberalism: Individuals in this group seek to uphold individual liberty while taxing the market to provide social benefits for those in need. They tend to see themselves as seeking balance between individual liberty and social justice and to be in favor of multiculturalism, secular government, and international cooperation. While they are typically skeptical of state involvement in social affairs, they nevertheless see a legitimate role for the state in combating discrimination and ensuring equal treatment. Left-Liberals typically have a Care- and Fairness-based morality.

Last edited:

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario

I personally didn't like the test. Some of the questions felt highly circumstantial or were meant to give you a certain answer (i.e who wants to kill baby rabbits on TV that isn't a Farmer/Pest Control)?

Even though it says I lean Conservative, in actuality, I just prefer to base all my decisions on scientific reasoning and "do the means justify the ends".

Oct 26, 2018
I personally didn't like the test. Some of the questions felt highly circumstantial or were meant to give you a certain answer (i.e who wants to kill baby rabbits on TV that isn't a Farmer/Pest Control)?

Even though it says I lean Conservative, in actuality, I just prefer to base all my decisions on scientific reasoning and "do the means justify the ends".
Agreed.

The questions were very ethics based, seemingly most involving something at home/everyday life.

If these questions were more about careers, money, healthcare, tax rates..... things that are more about have and have nots, I'd probably skew differently.

I'm all for being ethical and not screwing over a sibling over $5 (like question 1) and giving people access to healthcare even if you are broke, but I'm also all about being your own destiny and landing your own job and not getting grilled with stupid taxes.

Never the less, this is a good thread by Guiberu. For people who haven't tried the test, give it a go. It's 36 questions but goes fast. The questions seem geared to a person's own feelings and actions, than something like.......... should a country donate a billion dollars to poor countries kind of questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: JordanN

DocONally

Oct 21, 2014
Do I have to do the test? Can't I just promise you that I'm not alt-right?

Pretty much left-wing all my life, chose religion and avoided politics until the rise of the far-left when I needed to understand wtf was going on. As I can see it, philosophy guides society, and the far-left are bent out of shape because of anti-reason roots. I'm no expert though.

I prefer anti-war.
I choose tolerance.
I live and let live.
I look after my environment.
Education is too expensive.
I speak a foreign language.
Anti-MSM
I dunno, what else?...
(I like the Dalai Lama and TR.)

...lol I'm alt-right, innit.

I'll do the quiz if necessary.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Sep 29, 2013
Bohemia

Odd questions which would require some context behind them to answer properly. I generally went either completely no/yes or just left it in the middle if I wasn't sure.

Reactions: Stilton Disco

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
    • Your scores:

• Care 86%
    • Loyalty 19%
    • Fairness 72%
    • Authority 25%
    • Purity 19%
    • Liberty 64%

I do not think the test is all too great to determine political leanings because much of it really comes down to personal life and it does not, for instance, take into account whether you want something regulated or not. Also there were quite a few questions that lacked a bit of context to properly evaluate. Regarding the sibling fucking thing, it depends a bit on what "OK" is supposed to mean. If they make sure they do not procreate this way and it is consensual, it is none of my business and no one is harmed. I wouldn't do it myself, but why would I care if others decide to do it?

Reactions: danielberg

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
UK

Your scores:
Care 97%
Loyalty 56%
Fairness 92%
Authority 58%
Purity 56%
Liberty 56%

Didn't care for this at all. Most of the scenarios were just people being rude, which as a very polite person I find highly objectionable. Others, like the woman who tells her friends to ghost a cheating ex, then one dates him, just left me confused as to what i was supposed to be judging, the girl, her cheating ex, or the friend? In the end I went with three thumbs down, because all three people were awful.

Still, my results are there if anyone wishes to make use of them or judge me.

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018

• Your scores:

Care 83%

Loyalty 50%
  • Fairness 89%
  • Authority 75%
  • Purity 78%
  • Liberty 39%

This doesn't sound quite right, though I am not a far right conservative, I wouldn't call myself a liberal in any sense of the word.

For context, I thought most of the scenarios that were brought up are immoral.
Most of these things (same as the old compass one) feel as if designed to convince people to vote liberal by giving a much larger range to what is consider "liberal" vs reality.
I dont know if its because they are outdated (liberal view from the 90s for example) or if its deliberate but its the one thing i noticed with the compass one after doing it a couple of times.. this one feels a bit more balanced but its only 36 questions cant really tell much from that either way.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Sep 29, 2013
Bohemia
Most of these things (same as the old compass one) feel as if designed to convince people to vote liberal by giving a much larger range to what is consider "liberal" vs reality, all so as many people as possible "fit" the left label.
I dont know if its because they are outdated (liberal view from the 90s for example) or if its deliberate but its the one thing i noticed with the compass one after doing it a couple of times.. this one feels a bit more balanced but its only 36 questions cant really tell much from that either way.
Yeah, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this. I give this only a bit more credit than those "which Biblical character are you", just a bit of fun reading ridiculous questions.

General Lee

May 4, 2014
The point with vague questions is that the answer will reveal your leaning based on your biased interpretation of the question.

I consider myself left-leaning liberal. I'm not American though, and I do advocate for a well regulated social democracy that maintains both social cohesion and individual freedoms. Any concentration of power needs to be counterbalanced and scrutinized to reduce the chances of corruption that's pretty much inevitable otherwise. Doesn't matter if it's state, corporations, religion etc. People in power positions need to be held accountable, and dilution of responsibility is maybe the worst aspects of current economics and politics.

Michele

you.
Jun 7, 2018

I feel like the low loyalty may be fair. I'm a person who likes to change side, so it's hard for me to be on one's side.

Last edited:

AV

Gold Member
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK

Gave me a chuckle.

What a fuckin' badass.

Anyway, here's me:

About right, though I'm really not sure if this test is any good at all.

Sakura

Feb 13, 2012
Fukuoka, Japan
Not sure I liked the test. There aren't very many questions that would seem, I'm not sure, divisive? You have a couple questions like cake decorating for gay people question, but most of the questions seem like questions the general public would agree on regardless of ideology.
Some of them are also just dumb. Like the soccer shoes one. Yeah it's probably not ok to be the only guy wearing black shoes when the coach said everyone has to wear white shoes. But at the same time, who cares? Maybe he just forgot? How would such a question split conservative, left-liberal, and libertarian anyway?

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009

• Your scores:
  • Care 92%
  • Loyalty 58%
  • Fairness 83%
  • Authority 61%
  • Purity 67%
  • Liberty 78%

Your morality is closest to that of a Conservative.

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
I'm not gonna lie I saw the thread title and was excited that something major had FINALLY happened in light of the latest mass shooting, but I should have known better.

Red flag laws are not the end of the world. They are just one of MANY such precautions that should be on the books in order to help rein in gun violence in America.
Wrong thread?

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
I'm not gonna lie I saw the thread title and was excited that something major had FINALLY happened in light of the latest mass shooting, but I should have known better.

Red flag laws are not the end of the world. They are just one of MANY such precautions that should be on the books in order to help rein in gun violence in America.
Wrong thread buddy.

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
Here's mine, I'm a bit surprised to be classified as a conservative since my care, fairness and liberty scores align more with left-liberal. But I guess these days if you care about your country and national identity and don't want open borders and criminals to run around free to do what they please, you're considered a conservative.

Last edited:

Thurible

Formerly 'CatholicGamerGuy'
Aug 15, 2018
Most of these things (same as the old compass one) feel as if designed to convince people to vote liberal by giving a much larger range to what is consider "liberal" vs reality.
I don't agree with everything conservaives generally do (pro-death penalty, can be uncharitable to poor and underprivileged, etc), but I am definitely not a liberal. I am very much a traditionalist who doesn't subscribe to modern progressive ideals. I don't like pre-marital sex, I am pro-traditional marriage (I don't hate LGBTQ individuals) and pro-life, etc.

It doesn't really make sense. Most of my answers were negative towards the scenarios, especially the sex questions. I hope it's not skewed.

Yes, you can't know everything about a person from only a few questions. Either way it was kind of fun and I like how it brings discussion to the forum on how members feel about their results.

Reactions: danielberg

ROMhack

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2018

Sounds about right, I'm pretty liberal and pure.

It's true that I do care a lot and that I'm also not very loyal - although those questions seemed quite nation-driven and I'm not American.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

This doesn't really surprise me. I am left-libertarian after all.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
Your scores:
Care 100%
Loyalty 58%
Fairness 92%
Authority 56%
Purity 72%
Liberty 69%

This would have been a wildly different test if "okay" and "not okay" were instead "should be legal" and "should be illegal."

Reactions: #Phonepunk#

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018

Left liberal
  • Care 83%
  • Loyalty 36%
  • Fairness 42%
  • Authority 33%
  • Purity 69%
  • Liberty 50%

But then again I post here so obviously I’m an alt right conservative in denial

ipukespiders

Oct 9, 2006
I completed the test, immediately got a knock at my door, and now I'm at a Klan meeting.
Oh well, at least they have snacks.

Liberty4all

Nov 11, 2007
  • Your scores:
  • Care 67%
  • Loyalty 78%
  • Fairness 100%
  • Authority 89%
  • Purity 83%
  • Liberty 83%

• Fire
Reactions: Barnabot

michaelius

Jan 5, 2012
Liberty score should be changed to sexual liberty instead since there were no questions about freedom of speech etc just sexual stuff
  • Your scores:

• Care 100%
  • Loyalty 67%
  • Fairness 100%
  • Authority 75%
  • Purity 75%
  • Liberty 33%

You have no one strongest moral foundation.

Last edited:
  • Fire
May 17, 2018

I dislike the men's only club being sued by feminist question.
Do they asked me if i'm okay with them being allowed to sue, or if i'm okay with a men's only club.

So the club is fine. The feminist should be allowed to sue. They should lose.

The purity question are also something.
Here is my take. You can sleep with as many men you want, sure. But that does make you a slut. But you can be a slut, that is perfectly fine. Just like others have that option of you.

Care is so high for everyone because most people think you should not just randomly be rude for no reason to others.
And yeah why should you call someone fat, a loser or whatever just because you can.

• Thoughtful

eot

Apr 13, 2012
I couldn't make it through this test. Wiping the floor with a flag? What the fuck do I care? My morals aren't defined by what I'd impose on others. Weird questions IMO.

Reactions: Yoshi