• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Post by Ori Dev: Scorpio is a "full blown next generation Console

viHuGi

Banned
Thomas Mahler who was a developer for Ori And The Blind Forrest has commented on the Xbox Scorpio and made some very interesting remarks about the console as well as the PS4 Pro. In the post he said that the Xbox Scorpio is going to be a “full blow next generation” gaming console and not just an upgraded console. He later said the console wouldn’t be like the PS4 Pro which he called a “half-assed upgrade” which he said the PS4 Pro “kinda is”

Thomas made it clear that Microsoft will need to do some work on promoting the new console to make sure the consumer doesn’t compare it to the PS4 Pro, and that it might just be considered an upgrade rather than this big new console.

Close if Old

I mean, that's fine, and probably a good plan.

But jeez, this generation of consoles is really starting to get super fucked up.

Here's hoping they have some delicious exclusives to go along with it. Forza/Gears/Halo don't do it for me at all.

Even though I'm lukewarm on Microsoft at the moment a new console launch always manages to get me excited. E3 should be interesting.

Here is an image of the full post by Thomas.

ori.png

Interesting

Yeah I also had a feeling this is what it would ultimately be. But lol if true, I don't see how this would benefit Microsoft at all and will probably just end up fucking themselves over.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I haven't followed it, so we're basically getting 8x increase in CPU, 8x increase in GPU, 8x increase in memory like it was on average before in console transitions?

If that's the case, Microsoft is expecting people to generation jump every five years....

Also, the timing of this is extremely convenient

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Am I the only who feels like the distinction is pretty much arbitrary at this point?

King_Moc

Banned
Well, someone's been on the kool aid.

There's the same percentage difference in power between Pro and Scorpio as there was between standard xb1 and ps4.

bman94

God damn it. I feel like this generation just got started and Microsoft and Nintendo are already chugging fast into "next gen".

Lol Sony is killing it with the PS4 and I don't see them dropping the PS4 anytime soon.

But all Xbox One games can be played on Scorpio, so no.

That's not the definition of a new generation. The PS2 played PS1 games.

New gen means that Scorpio will get games that cannot be played on Xbox One. If games can still be played on Xbox One, the Scorpio is just an upgrade.

Boke1879

It won't have exclusive games that harness the full power and nothing suggest it is a full new generation. This would contradict everything MS has said and quite frankly they'll get tons of shit for it.

OnPoint

All Wii games can be played on the Wii U, is it not a next gen console compared to the Wii? Incoming, b-but power.
Not the same thing.

You can't play Wii U games on a Wii.

You can (supposedly) play all Xbox One games on Xbox One, the S, and Scorpio.

If this an actual huge leap they should have games shared for both Xbox One and Scorpio for two years before making exclusive Scorpio games that take advantage of the power.

Sanctuary

He later said the console wouldn't be like the PS4 Pro which he called a ”half-assed upgrade" which he said the PS4 Pro ”kinda is"

What an ugly and redundant sentence. Anyway, in terms of raw power, if the specs were to be believed, it was obviously a generational leap from the Xbone and base PS4.

This reads like fanboy jabber. How can Pro be considered a "half-assed upgrade" when it's not meant to be a next gen system?

Top Bottom