• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Post by Ori Dev: Scorpio is a "full blown next generation Console

RoKKeR

I can't believe this guy is a CEO/game director
That's...Not the issue with that tweet.

Anyways, it's too bad because Thomas is a good dude who was fairly involved on this forum in around Ori's launch, providing helpful clarification, insight, etc. I doubt he comes around more after this honestly.

You might disagree with his assessment but the attacks on his character are uncalled for.

Wedzi

Banned
Based on this maybe that's why Sony has all the third part marketing deals. They may look better on Xbox one Scorpio but cheap bundles will move like crazy this holiday. It's the only way to compete until ps5.

Sony has and has had all the marketing deals because they'll sold a bajillion consoles

I'm thinking MS will allow Scorpio-only games to happen about 12-18 months after the console's launch. They'll kill the Xbox One and S off softly.

Anyways, it's too bad because Thomas is a good dude who was fairly involved on this forum in around Ori's launch, providing helpful clarification, insight, etc. I doubt he comes around more after this honestly.

You might disagree with his assessment but the attacks on his character are uncalled for.

Bullshit. Thomas deserves to have his credibility /character questioned because of his post and lack of follow up to said post.

How many other CEO's / game directors / devs do you see on social media/forums shitting on the competition while praising the console that they work on exclusively ?

Yea let's ruin him!!

No ones saying that

Bullshit. Thomas deserves to have his credibility /character questioned because of his post and lack of follow up to said post.

How many other CEO's / game directors / devs do you see on social media/forums shitting on the competition while praising the console that they work on exclusively ?

No ones saying that

You're talking about this guy's character, and your tag says you'd rather have a dildo. Cool

Thank you :)

I really shouldn't post in this thread anymore and I definitely should have picked my wording more carefully... You never quite know which sentence a journalist might pick up on and might turn into a saucy headline that might infuriate fans of some platform.

This is the second time already that I took part in some discussion on GAF only to then see something I thought was a somewhat innocent comment (again, calling a platform half-assed definitely wasn't the nicest way of putting things, I know. I'm not a native English speaker and sometimes my wording can come off as a bit rude) to blow up in my face after the press picked up on it. I'm just a dev who loves games and take part in these passionate discussions :)

Sorry if I offended anybody, wasn't my intention!

TLZ

Banned
Full blown next generation console?

Yeah, No.

I'm going to believe what Eurogamer / Digital Foundry is saying about Scorpio 99.9% over a random developer comment posted on a questionable site.
But he posted here, on GAF.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and what if he may even be right? The fact that Ori isn't on Playstation doesn't have any bearing on this, since it seems it's true anyway(the Scorpio being more powerful than Pro).

Akronis

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and what if he may even be right? The fact that Ori isn't on Playstation doesn't have any bearing on this, since it seems it's true anyway(the Scorpio being more powerful than Pro).

General rule of thumb when you have an audience and work with third parties is to not make comments like this and to remain neutral. He didn't have to comment on the Pro at all.

Potentially burning bridges as a company is really really stupid and short sighted.

I like dildo's rammed up my ass

fight me nerd

lol

bidguy

Banned

I really shouldn't post in this thread anymore and I definitely should have picked my wording more carefully... You never quite know which sentence a journalist might pick up on and might turn into a saucy headline that might infuriate fans of some platform.

This is the second time already that I took part in some discussion on GAF only to then see something I thought was a somewhat innocent comment (again, calling a platform half-assed definitely wasn't the nicest way of putting things, I know. I'm not a native English speaker and sometimes my wording can come off as a bit rude) to blow up in my face after the press picked up on it. I'm just a dev who loves games and take part in these passionate discussions :)

harsh truths are bound to get people riled up, dont sweat it

Anticol

Banned

Nobody is saying that he is wrong with his comment about the Scorpio being a new generation or more powerful but he had no need in calling the competition half-assed when they could think of buying titles from them in the future. Hopefully for him Scorpio is a hit and sell just as much as Xbone or even more, would be tragic if they have to develop games for a Half-assed console in the future.

Doffen

Nobody is saying that he is wrong with his comment about the Scorpio being a new generation or more powerful but he had no need in calling the competition half-assed when they could think of buying titles from them in the future. Hopefully for him Scorpio is a hit and sell just as much as Xbone or even more, would be tragic if they have to develop games for a Half-assed console in the future.

Maybe in the future they will learn not to release half-assed consoles?

etta

my hard graphic balls

You shouldn't worry what GAF thinks about your words or intentions. This place has gone downhill a lot, lots of hyperbole and lack of forethought, there's some who don't even give a shit about how hurtful their comments are. And rarely have I seen this behaviour met with a ban, the fact that they even think it's okay to voice their insults is surprising, let alone be permitted to do so.

Wedzi

Banned
I like dildo's rammed up my ass

fight me nerd

oh-my-takei.gif

This thread is going to strange places. Hurry the hell up Microsoft and give us the deets already I don't know how many more speculation threads about nothing people can take

the irony in these 3 post is Delicious

(Don't get the tag but won't take it for face value until I get context) but that double irony for you calling out those 3 posters for being hypocritical but I've found it funny how fast people are to discredit people that seem like hypocrites when hypocrites should be the people to listen to the most.

Point is judging character based off small post and making a puddle a pond is quite funny indeed.

Also the funniest thing is people throwing flak at the ori dev for complimenting one thing and talking down at the competitor and that no dev does that ever. Selective memory is fun!

I think the attacks on his character are fair. He doesn't sound professional at all even if what he's saying is eventually found to be true. Bashing the competition even if it is a rival looks bad and there's a reason other devs don't do it. He comes across as a console wars fanboy.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That is a dead dream .
Also sure MS and Sony have more to worry about than that .

I dont think it is dead.

MS tried it with TV TV TV and even tho it didnt work too well its still a part of the console even after revisions.

Sony did it a lil better by not focusing on it during E3 and launching it kind of stealthy with PS Vue. PS Now is designed to be used on a multitude of devices. TV and PC being 2.

Sony and MS both have CD/DVD/Blu Ray playback. The XBO S has a UHD blu ray drive.

The dream isnt dead, companies just need to introduce their features better.

Maybe its something that MS isnt worrying about but Sony has their hands in many parts of the entertainment industry. I dont think they have given up on it yet.

New002

Full blown next generation console?

Yeah, No.

I'm going to believe what Eurogamer / Digital Foundry is saying about Scorpio 99.9% over a random developer comment posted on a questionable site.

Come on now. I expect nothing more than what DF leaked, but this isn't some rando posting a comment on a questionable site, and I understand why people are taking it a bit more seriously.

Personally I don't think Thomas should have made that post. Calling the PS4 half-assed was a poor choice of words, and even if they are on the up and up it's not like they can provide the kind of details that will satisfy the critics, who have every right to question the post btw.

Crayon

You shouldn't worry what GAF thinks about your words or intentions. This place has gone downhill a lot, lots of hyperbole and lack of forethought, there's some who don't even give a shit about how hurtful their comments are. And rarely have I seen this behaviour met with a ban, the fact that they even think it's okay to voice their insults is surprising, let alone be permitted to do so.

You talkin shit about gaf? You're a superstar here.

Hexer06

You're all good in my book! But you know, you could make this all blow away with a little tease of your upcoming game. ;)

I think the attacks on his character are fair. He doesn't sound professional at all even if what he's saying is eventually found to be true. Bashing the competition even if it is a rival looks bad and there's a reason other devs don't do it. He comes across as a console wars fanboy.

But if we opened our eyes and didn't only do it when it makes the one side look bad for doing it then we would see that it is done quite a bit and again it's not the PlayStation part that a lot give a shit about (the pro is a half ass upgrade to where there was no appeal for me to buy one and just a regular four and use the upgrade cost for games). Maybe it is to all the dedicated Sony fan boys (and oh god does it show in this thread) that his views were against the current thoughts of the Scorpio after the DF article.

pastrami

I'd still like to know why Thomas believes the PS4 Pro is half-assed and the Scorpio is next-gen. What is the distinction between the two consoles where one can be considered next-gen and the other not? He seems pretty open about defending the idea that the Scorpio is next-gen, but so far, I don't think he's addressed why he thinks the PS4 Pro is different, and not next-gen.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'd still like to know why Thomas believes the PS4 Pro is half-assed and the Scorpio is next-gen. What is the distinction between the two consoles where one can be considered next-gen and the other not? He seems pretty open about defending the idea that the Scorpio is next-gen, but so far, I don't think he's addressed why he thinks the PS4 Pro is different, and not next-gen.
An explanation or expansion on those thoughts are not going to happen, despite multiple requests.

Especially not after the absurd last page.

Lol I would also want to naively see a decent dude get dog piled on by the vocal part of gaming side and in trouble by Microsoft for talking about something nobody has given any info about at all.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Lol I would also want to naively see a decent dude get dog piled on by the vocal part of gaming side and in trouble by Microsoft for talking about something nobody has given any info about at all.
Are you confused by the discussion?

Thomas has expanded on the concepts that make Scorpio next gen.

The open question is what makes the PS4 Pro, the system that is already out and we can evaluate ourselves and certainly can be compared conceptually as well as in actuality half-assed in comparison?

Top Bottom