• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF relieved: Paul Anderson abandons Castevania, plus Mortal Kombat gets rebooted

fernoca

Anderson Abandons "Castlevania"
From Dark Horizons / Dread Central:

Love him or loathe him, there's no denying that "Resident Evil" and "Alien vs. Predator" director Paul W.S. Anderson has his fingers in many pies.

Well one of them has gone off it seems as according to Dread Central, Anderson has left the "Castlevania" project.

The film, based on the long-running video game franchise, has been stuck in development hell since it was announced. Anderson has always been attached as director and writer - and now he's left the project completely.

Does this mean it's over? Hard to say. Anderson is presently at work on a potential "Death Race" remake/sequel.

Link: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070327m.php

Mortal Kombat movie series rebooted?
From Moviehole:

Just like the long-gestating “X-Files” sequel, the third “Mortal Kombat” movie has been swimming in the Development Hell Channel for quite a few years now. Apparently, and again like the former, it’s delay can mainly be attributed to legal issues.

Insider ‘Rayden’ gave us a quick run-down on what the deal is with it- whilst confirming that the film won’t actually be a prequel or a sequel but more of a restart.

“The movie is not going to be a prequel, sequel, or in any form be related to the previous 2 movie. Pretty much like Batman Begins, is going to restart the series with new concepts, stories,etc.

“Threshold had to wait till around early 2000 for the contract with New Line Cinema to end (Threshold blames New Line for the disappointing Annihilation, talking about forced release dates, limited budget, no understanding of anything, etc.)

“The reason it is taking so long is the script, so many parts are involved. The team at Threshold (the ones that holds the right to MK) are constantly writing drafts (along with the director), which they have to send to Midway (makers of the game) so the creator of the game (Ed Boon) adds notes and some input to the draft, then to the studio (rumored to be Lionsgate at this moment).”

The director of the film, Mink, has also been fielding fans questions on the IMDB Boards, we’re told.

In short, here’s some of the director’s comments on the movie :
- “It is a new telling of the MK universe drawing from the whole universe. As I have said think of it like Batman Begins”.
- “Threshold(Larry Kassanoff) has a staff of writer's working on the script. The script drafts interacts with all parties involved being addressed with extensive sets of notes. The script is then revised according to these notes and then pushed through the approval process again. This is how the project proceeds. In regards to finishing most scripts it takes along time. Yes certain projects get fast tracked or fast followed into production and they bang the script out as fast as the writer can type and fix the script as they go but this money driven. As most projects finalize the script first in order to trigger all the financing into effect. Which then triggers casting etc... Today most financiers have alot to say about the scripts as it is their money on the line. So usually when you see a movie that has 11 or 12 producers on the slate each one of them has had a say at the table about the script equal to their involvement financially. As I have said in past on this project Threshold, Midway and the studio all have one or two producers each making comments on the script. So that is where we are at the moment. All of us working on the script with the staff of writers”.
- “Casting adjourned for the moment before we got that far. As I have said in other posts we went back to the script after the initial movement on the project and have been rewriting(per the partied involved Threshold, Studio, Midway) since so no additional casting thoughts and or processes were even continued. As soon as the script is done we will proceed with casting again and all options in all casting areas are still on the table 100%... “ (He has confirmed that he’s met with Christopher Lambert and Robin Shou though)

Link: http://www.moviehole.net/news/20070328_mortal_kombat_movie_series_reb.html

AAK

There is no Mortal Kombat movie without Robin Shou. Does that 'meeting' confirm his reprisal role?

EDIT: Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung should also be a must... Then again, the guys are all 50+ now :/

They should switch Paul Andersons.

Paul Thomas Anderson Presents...CASTLEVANIA: There Will Be Blood.

"Now that I've become a vampire, would you object to never seeing me again?"
"...what?"

fernoca

Bad_Boy said:
A remake staring the same actors (playing the same characters) as the original? Interesting.

Apparently not..
The reason while the original cast was always rumored to return, was because indeed they were going to return in the sequel. Back on October 2005, Robin Shou (Liu Kang/MKI&MKA); Christopher Lambert (Rayden/MKI); Linden Ashby (Johnny Cage/MKI); Chris Cassamassa (Scorpion/MKI), were all set to return in the planned sequel and filming was supposed to start back then, on Louisiana.....but,we all know what happened around that month, that year.

They were planning on moving to New Mexico or Thailand, but plans fell through; cast went to make other movies (Ashby to Resident Evil: Extinction, Shou to Dead or Alive).

Plans for a prequel started, a story explaining the origins of Sub-Zero and Scorpion, still using the same cast (not based on the Mythologies game, by the way)..but that concept was scrapped.

Since it's been 10 years since the last movie, they decided to start again with a new story/universe of characters , and a possible new/younger cast.

Remember that Robin Shou is in his 40s, Liu Kang is supposed to be less than 25 years old, as the Mortal Kombat Champion, he stays the same age till he's defeated as a Champion; so he can continue training fighters (Shou still looks young..but not 20-ish).

But who knows, the moviemakers ARE listening the fans and accepting recommendations, so..only time will tell.

BenjaminBirdie said:
They should switch Paul Andersons.

Paul Thomas Anderson Presents...CASTLEVANIA: There Will Be Blood.

"Now that I've become a vampire, would you object to never seeing me again?"
"...what?"

"You've made an accursed cuckold out of me."

GreekWolf

fernoca said:
Remember that Robin Shou is in his 40s, Liu Kang is supposed to be less than 25 years old, as the Mortal Kombat Champion, he stays the same age till he's defeated as a Champion; so he can continue training fighters (Shou still looks young..but not 20-ish).
It's hard to believe that Shou turned 35 the year that the original film came out. Not that thirties are over the hill or anything, but he was in such outstanding physical condition that he could have easily passed for a kid in his twenties. Sadly, I think his Mortal Kombat days have come and gone. He's nearly 50 years old now, and there's really no logical way of including him in the next film unless they are planning to rewrite the script for an older Lui Kang.

DMczaf

Time to turn this thread into a Robin Shou Appreciation Thread, cliq style!

rtwebposter.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
fernoca said:
Apparently not..
The reason while the original cast was always rumored to return, was because indeed they were going to return in the sequel. Back on October 2005, Robin Shou (Liu Kang/MKI&MKA); Christopher Lambert (Rayden/MKI); Linden Ashby (Johnny Cage/MKI); Chris Cassamassa (Scorpion/MKI), were all set to return in the planned sequel and filming was supposed to start back then, on Louisiana.....but,we all know what happened around that month, that year.

They were planning on moving to New Mexico or Thailand, but plans fell through; cast went to make other movies (Ashby to Resident Evil: Extinction, Shou to Dead or Alive).

Plans for a prequel started, a story explaining the origins of Sub-Zero and Scorpion, still using the same cast (not based on the Mythologies game, by the way)..but that concept was scrapped.

Since it's been 10 years since the last movie, they decided to start again with a new story/universe of characters , and a possible new/younger cast.

But who knows, the moviemakers ARE listening the fans and accepting recommendations, so..only time will tell.
Sounds good then, though I would like for the orginal rayden/raiden to return (lambert). He was awesome.

DMczaf said:

rtwebposter.jpg
Is that sub zero from the second movie on the left of the girl? And the black guy was in the first movie right? Was the girl in the movies?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DMczaf said:

rtwebposter.jpg

The black dude on left the side of the cover was in the MK movie as well. He got his soul sucked by Shang Tsung after losing.

fernoca

Bad_Boy said:
Is that sub zero from the second movie on the left of the girl? And the black guy was in the first movie right? Was the girl in the movies?

Yep (Keith H. Cooke / the younger Sub-Zero), Yep (Hakim Alston / Liu's first fight/battle in the tournament) and Nop. :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
fernoca said:
Yep (Keith H. Cooke / the younger Sub-Zero), Yep (Hakim Alston / Liu's first fight/battle in the tournament) and Nop. :)
Nice.

Who was Nop? Was that jade in the 2nd movie. I haven't seen them in so long, forgive my memory.

edit: :lol I think you meant nope after re-reading your post. Mybad.

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

"Two for Hellfire. Ten for Shield Rod."

or

"But that magic, that heart and soul that you just took out of my pack, DEATH. That is OURS."

Haha, I just realized you said switch Pauls, not switch Andersons. Still, it'd be great anyways.

"What'd be the scientific purpose of killing the vampire?"
"Revenge"

Son of Godzilla said:
Haha, I just realized you said switch Pauls, not switch Andersons. Still, it'd be great anyways.

"Revenge"

And I just realized what YOU did.

:lol

"Can you do a Transylvanian accent?"

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
HyperZone<3 said:
But if they get Robin Shou they can't have Tony Jaa as his stunt double again, I'm pretty sure that dude is busy nowadays.
tony jaa was robin shou's stunt double? :lol

fernoca

HyperZone<3 said:
But if they get Robin Shou they can't have Tony Jaa as his stunt double again, I'm pretty sure that dude is busy nowadays.

Well, maybe they can get Tony Jaa to BE Liu Kang this time..who knows. :D

Son of Godzilla said:

"Revenge"

I've got another one!

"Man, an asshole like him doesn't deserve a castle this nice..."

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
medrew said:
Well in MK: Annihilation, at least.
lol, I dunno if my respect for tony jaa went up or down after knowing that now. I guess it's cool though, personally I never heard of him until ong bak (which I thought was pretty good).

fernoca

Bad_Boy said:
lol, I dunno if my respect for tony jaa went up or down after knowing that now. I guess it's cool though, personally I never heard of him until ong bak (which I thought was pretty good).

Hehehehe.. :lol
Give him a break, it was one of his first movies.
Ray Park started in Annihilation too as Rayden's double, and he ended bein Darth Maul in Episode I, Toad in X-Men...among other films. :)

Jaa is currently busy with Ong Bak 2.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
fernoca said:
Hehehehe.. :lol
Give him a break, it was one of his first movies.
Ray Park started in Annihilation too as Rayden's double, and he ended bein Darth Maul in Episode I, Toad in X-Men...among other films. :)
Good point.

fernoca said:
Jaa is currently busy with Ong Bak 2.
nice. Looking forward to that.

Anyways, for this MK remake, all I ask is that it be rated R this time.

edit:
now that I think about it, I think ray park could play a nice johnny cage.

fernoca said:
“Threshold(Larry Kassanoff) has a staff of writer's working on the script. The script drafts interacts with all parties involved being addressed with extensive sets of notes. The script is then revised according to these notes and then pushed through the approval process again. This is how the project proceeds. In regards to finishing most scripts it takes along time. Yes certain projects get fast tracked or fast followed into production and they bang the script out as fast as the writer can type and fix the script as they go but this money driven. As most projects finalize the script first in order to trigger all the financing into effect. Which then triggers casting etc... Today most financiers have alot to say about the scripts as it is their money on the line. So usually when you see a movie that has 11 or 12 producers on the slate each one of them has had a say at the table about the script equal to their involvement financially. As I have said in past on this project Threshold, Midway and the studio all have one or two producers each making comments on the script. So that is where we are at the moment. All of us working on the script with the staff of writers”.
Hopefully some of this "staff of writers" have talent and imagination. I really hate producers who interfere with the writing process. They're not writers, and I hate it when they think they are.

Razikain

Yeah, Anderson's still attached to Castlevania (more's the pity). I actually think he's worse than Uwe Boll, in that I've talked to people who said things like "Oh I know he's not the best filmmaker, but Resident Evil was actually watchable". He's dangerous in the same way that hugging a stingray is dangerous, unlike Uwe Boll, who just makes crap movies.

Still, at least that Warren Ellis-penned animated Castlevania movie is still in the works, I think.

Fady K

Oh God, he's officially attached the film. Make it stop, Konami :( I doubt this will be as good as Silent Hill...

Snaku

Banned
fernoca said:
Anderson Abandons "Castlevania"
From Dark Horizons / Dread Central:

Love him or loathe him, there's no denying that "Resident Evil" and "Alien vs. Predator" director Paul W.S. Anderson has his fingers in many pies.

Well one of them has gone off it seems as according to Dread Central, Anderson has left the "Castlevania" project.

The film, based on the long-running video game franchise, has been stuck in development hell since it was announced. Anderson has always been attached as director and writer - and now he's left the project completely.

Does this mean it's over? Hard to say. Anderson is presently at work on a potential "Death Race" remake/sequel.

Link: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070327m.php

elainelol2aa0.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
AWWWW WHUT??? :(

I love Paul W.S. Anderson :lol :lol

I was looking forward to the cheesiest vampire movie ever made... with a rock-techno soundtrack and bad one-liners.....

Now they are going to abandon the project, or give it to someone with.... gulp.... a brain?.... This is going to get pretensious folks. :( They should just abandon it or make an anime.

Razikain

Exclusive: Castlevania Still Set
Filmmaker clarifies rumors of his departure.
by IGN Staff

US, March 28, 2007 - Despite recent rumors to the contrary, genre filmmaker Paul W.S. Anderson tells IGN that he is still very much involved with the planned movie version of the classic videogame Castlevania.

Reports surfaced online earlier this week that Anderson was making Death Race next, and the assumption was widely made that this meant he was off of Castlevania, casting doubt on the project's future. But Anderson indicates that reports of the film's demise, and his linkage to it, are greatly exaggerated.

"Both Death Race and Castlevania are set up at Universal," Anderson explains. "The studio wants to make both films, but obviously there is a scheduling conflict which we are trying to resolve. I am very passionate about Castlevania and whatever happens I will remain actively involved in my role as writer and producer." So, that settles that.

Rogue Pictures, the studio behind the game-to-film project, has voiced hopes of making a cult franchise out of the property.

Anderson has hinted that the story will be a fresh take on the Dracula legend. "You could almost call this movie Dracula Begins," he told Variety.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Razikain said:
by IGN Staff

US, March 28, 2007 - Despite recent rumors to the contrary, genre filmmaker Paul W.S. Anderson tells IGN that he is still very much involved with the planned movie version of the classic videogame Castlevania.

Reports surfaced online earlier this week that Anderson was making Death Race next, and the assumption was widely made that this meant he was off of Castlevania, casting doubt on the project's future. But Anderson indicates that reports of the film's demise, and his linkage to it, are greatly exaggerated.

"Both Death Race and Castlevania are set up at Universal," Anderson explains. "The studio wants to make both films, but obviously there is a scheduling conflict which we are trying to resolve. I am very passionate about Castlevania and whatever happens I will remain actively involved in my role as writer and producer." So, that settles that.

Rogue Pictures, the studio behind the game-to-film project, has voiced hopes of making a cult franchise out of the property.

Anderson has hinted that the story will be a fresh take on the Dracula legend. "You could almost call this movie Dracula Begins," he told Variety.
RE Apocalypse director Alexander Witt for Castlevania confirmed? :lol :lol

oh boy... you guys think Anderson is a hack? Now we are going to get Anderson's lackey.

Snaku

Banned
Razikain said:
by IGN Staff

seinfeldohnoap3.gif

Top Bottom